Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: General Music Discussion

WAKE UP

Status

Re: General Music Discussion

uk music industry trying way too hard to be all-inclusive and diverse and social justice and that shite. he is a grime artist ffs

On Vacation

Status

What's Gwarning!

Status
      Country                    England

I've been listening to Grime from the beginning- and the last time it peaked at a high level was when Dizzee Rascal released Boy In Da Corner album back in 04. And then came Stormzy, who literally set the scene on fire and his album was the first Grime album to hit #1 on the charts.

Stormzy has indeed only released one album, and it was successful- but I don't think that's why he got picked as a headliner. He's an iconic name in the UK music scene today, and that's because he went mainstream by simply being himself. He's also a certified ticket seller lol. Not just that though, it's what he has done for the UK music scene (Grime, Rap & Urban mostly).. Just like other artists like Giggs & Skepta that paved the way for him, he paved the way for MANY UK artists like Dave, Mist, MoStack, Fredo, etc.

I know I sound like an uber-Stormzy fan (username says it all), but he isn't even in my top 5 favourite artists in the UK lol. When it came to the UK urban scene back in the day, rappers would get signed to record labels and they had to switch their style to be more pop. The only rapper that worked for was Tinie Tempah, but everybody else literally fell - but now the UK urban scene has found it's own identity and it has gone mainstream. You've even got successful artists like Drake who are publicly endorsing our scene and getting UK rappers to feature on his songs.

This is just my two cents though. I feel like the UK urban music scene is HOT right now. At the end of the day though, the UK urban scene is constantly evolving- and it's only gonna get bigger and bigger with the amount of artists that are blowing up.

EDIT: In addition to this, the US rap scene is still going strong to this day. Rappers like Eminem, Meek Mill, Kendrick Lamar & J.Cole are smashing it.
    Last edited by Skengman95; 12-08-2018 at 12:50 AM.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Skengman95 View Post
    I've been listening to Grime from the beginning- and the last time it peaked at a high level was when Dizzee Rascal released Boy In Da Corner album back in 04. And then came Stormzy, who literally set the scene on fire and his album was the first Grime album to hit #1 on the charts.

Stormzy has indeed only released one album, and it was successful- but I don't think that's why he got picked as a headliner. He's an iconic name in the UK music scene today, and that's because he went mainstream by simply being himself. He's also a certified ticket seller lol. Not just that though, it's what he has done for the UK music scene (Grime, Rap & Urban mostly).. Just like other artists like Giggs & Skepta that paved the way for him, he paved the way for MANY UK artists like Dave, Mist, MoStack, Fredo, etc.

I know I sound like an uber-Stormzy fan (username says it all), but he isn't even in my top 5 favourite artists in the UK lol. When it came to the UK urban scene back in the day, rappers would get signed to record labels and they had to switch their style to be more pop. The only rapper that worked for was Tinie Tempah, but everybody else literally fell - but now the UK urban scene has found it's own identity and it has gone mainstream. You've even got successful artists like Drake who are publicly endorsing our scene and getting UK rappers to feature on his songs.

This is just my two cents though. I feel like the UK urban music scene is HOT right now. At the end of the day though, the UK urban scene is constantly evolving- and it's only gonna get bigger and bigger with the amount of artists that are blowing up.

EDIT: In addition to this, the US rap scene is still going strong to this day. Rappers like Eminem, Meek Mill, Kendrick Lamar & J.Cole are smashing it.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the impact Stormzy has had. I think the comparison with Tinie is spot on too.

It's funny you mentioned Dizzie, because I think he's got more credibility (for lack of a better word) as a headline act, as someone who's lasted the test of time, but I guess he's not as "relevant" culturally right now.

To be fair, I'm not going to the festival anyway (despite living down the road from it, I've never been) so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

What's Gwarning!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the impact Stormzy has had. I think the comparison with Tinie is spot on too.

It's funny you mentioned Dizzie, because I think he's got more credibility (for lack of a better word) as a headline act, as someone who's lasted the test of time, but I guess he's not as "relevant" culturally right now.

To be fair, I'm not going to the festival anyway (despite living down the road from it, I've never been) so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I agree with you on Dizzee man! He's pretty much a Grime OG- but he probably wouldn't sell tickets as much as he could because he reached his peak already. He has made a return to his roots by making tunes with LD & Skepta though, which has been good to see.

Haha I'm glad you brought up this topic though, I just thought it was the perfect chance for me to get my two cents in on a topic I feel like I'm familiar with. That being said, I wouldn't go to Glastonbury either. £248 for a ticket??? I don't think so lol.

WAKE UP

Status

some may get a kick out of this - saw Mastodon on Friday and Scott Kelly (of Nuerosis) came out to do some songs with them. Scott Kelly was wearing a Villain Club t-shirt.

Ole!

Status

So, got my ticket to Bloodstock so get to see Scorpions finally also going to see Weezer too

Status
      Country                    United States

Bummer news from Dave Mustaine.

It's announced today that he was diagnosed with throat cancer, and that treatment for the cancer has begun.

This is from his Twitter account:

davemustaine

I’ve been diagnosed with throat cancer. It’s clearly something to be respected and faced head on - but I’ve faced obstacles before. I’m working closely with my doctors, and we’ve mapped out a treatment plan which they feel has a 90% success rate. Treatment has already begun.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    Unfortunately, this requires that we cancel most shows this year. The 2019 Megacruise will happen, and the band will be a part of it in some form. All up to date information will be at megadeth.com as we get it. Megadeth will be back on the road ASAP.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    Meanwhile, Kiko, David, Dirk and I are in the studio, working on the follow up to Dystopia – which I can’t wait for everyone to hear.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    I’m so thankful for my whole team – family, doctors, band members, trainers, and more.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    I’ll keep everyone posted.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    See you soon,
    Dave Mustaine

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

Thread Information