Page 1 of 56 123 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Discussion Thread (POTENTIAL SPOILERS INSIDE!!!)

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    United States

Game of Thrones Discussion Thread (POTENTIAL SPOILERS INSIDE!!!)

HBO has premiered this new promo for "Game of Thrones," premiering on April 17. Based on the George R.R. Martin novels and set in the mythical land of Westeros, "Game of Thrones" centers on the noble Stark family who become caught up in high court intrigue when patriarch Eddard (played by Sean Bean) becomes the king's new right-hand man.

Source: HBO

This looks pretty damn good.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: New Promo for HBO's Game of Thrones

I saw the Making Of episode for this show, and it does look pretty epic.

I'm a big Sci Fi/Fantasy mark anyways...so I'd have checked thiso ut regardless.

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Covered in Blood

Status

The books are incredible and the news I've read and the actual footage I've seen of the show has me pants-shitting excited. April 17th can't come fast enough (A Dance With Dragons is supposed to come out in July as well).

Status

I have high hopes for this one. The books are fantastic and while it might be tough to adapt, makes for a really compelling story. I hope the visuals deliver. To be honest, if this any network other than HBO, I would probably be fairly leery...

No

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Crest Fall View Post
    The books are incredible and the news I've read and the actual footage I've seen of the show has me pants-shitting excited. April 17th can't come fast enough (A Dance With Dragons is supposed to come out in July as well).
    I'm pretty sure HBO bumped up the release date so it's like April 2 or 3rd now instead. So even less of a wait.

Duke of Dorchester

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Crest Fall View Post
    Yes, these books are awesome and also one of my favorite book series. The author used to write for TV, and the way the ASoIaF novels are written I think they'll adapt excellently into a TV series.

FUNKASAURUS

Status
      Country                    uk_scotland=Scotland

I saw the ad for this on TV, and I'm definitely going to give it a look. It's the kind of thing my old man migh enjoy too, so I might actually be able to watch it, what with him being High Lord of the TV Set and all!
    RAGGIE's BACK!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With the cold winds of the North came the fury of Ragnar

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'd just like to point out that I cannot wait for this show, it looks absolutely amazing. I've got to check out these books.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Television Shows of 2016~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis

No

Status

So who watched the premier

That was amazing like holy fuck

Status

That was great.

I had high hopes but low expectations for this, if that makes sense. There are just so many elements that make the books tough to adapt - the settings, the huge range of characters, the important backstory... But it really looks like they're pulling it off. And staying true to the books, which is a key point for any fan.

The only real complaints I have are pretty petty... The Lannisters seem too likeable - they seemed much more sinsister in the early part of the books. Second is that the Targaryen's look kinda fake. The blond hair just doesn't look natural at all. While she might grow on me, the actress they chose for Daenerys Targaryen seems like they picked because she looks really young rather than she's really lovely. Not that she's unattractive, but I always felt like Daenerys was presented as the most attractive in the books.

12 and 0hio!

Status

Downloading now because just from the previews and such it already looks to be amazing and from what I've read so far it is. Never read the books and didn't even really know it was based off books til I read it in this thread so I'll be watching purely for the awesomess.

Status
      Country                    United States

HBO Renews Game of Thrones for Second Season

HBO announced this morning that "Game of Thrones" will be getting a second season:

Following strong critical and viewer response to the series' April 17 debut, HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

"We are delighted by the way David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have brought George R.R. Martin's amazing book series to the screen, and thrilled by the support of the media and our viewers," said Lombardo. "This is the continuation of an exciting creative partnership."

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series "A Song of Ice and Fire," by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES follows kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noblemen as they vie for power in a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime.

Among the early critical raves, TV Guide has called the show "a crowning triumph" and "brilliant," while the Los Angeles Times termed GAME OF THRONES "a great and thundering series," as well as "wild and bewitching." The Hollywood Reporter praised the "excellent storytelling, superb acting and stunning visual effects," and the New York Post observed that the "art directing, acting and incredible sets are as breathtaking as the massive scope of the series."

The gross audience for the premiere night of GAME OF THRONES on the main HBO channel was 4.2 million viewers.

The season one cast includes (in alphabetical order): Mark Addy, Alfie Allen, Sean Bean, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Aidan Gillen, Jack Gleeson, Iain Glen, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Harry Lloyd, Richard Madden, Rory McCann, Jason Momoa, Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams.

Season one credits: GAME OF THRONES is executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; co-executive producers, Carolyn Strauss, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and George R.R. Martin; producers, Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger; directors of photography, Marco Pontecorvo, Alik Sakharov and Matt Jensen; production designer, Gemma Jackson; costume designer, Michele Clapton.

Source: HBO
    Not shocking, good to see.

Covered in Blood

Status

Yeah, the Targaryen's wigs are pretty awful-looking. I was also disappointed Viserys didn't twist Dany's nipple like in the book. Still, Viserys was quite good and I'm questioning if I can see this vulnerable little Daenerys transform into the powerful leader we see her become later in the series (that's not a bad thing by any means).

-The intro is absolutely fantastic.

-I thought the Arya, Tyrion, Eddard, Jon, and Robert performances were all really spot on. I'll have to wait and see on Cersei and Catelyn. Theon was excellent as well, though that's not quite how I pictured him when reading the book. Can't wait to see more of Robb in the episodes to come.

-The direwolves were adorable

-I think they really captured the world well apart from Ice, Eddard's sword. I thought it just looked really generic. Sandor Clegane's armor is fucking badass though and I liked the wardrobe of the night's watch and the kingsguard. I can't wait to see more of King's Landing beyond the Red Keep and the cities Dany travels through in the east. BTW, the religious rituals with Jon Arryn during Jamie and Cersei's introduction fascinated me. That's not quite how I pictured the religion of the Seven to be, but this seemed better.

-The introduction of the dragon eggs was quite lame. Dany was more fascinated over her horse than the dragon eggs. I can't remember if it was handled the same way in the book, but it definitely wasn't as insignificant as it was portrayed in the premiere. I lol'd at Jorah saying that there was no word for "thank you" in Dothraki though.

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Got it on the planner. Nice to see that, over here, we're getting this show just one day after you guys. Instead of the usual month or two
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

Status

Agree pretty much all the way around, Crest.

I'm not so much worried about Cercei - Lena Headley is a solid enough actress. I don't think she's quite as beautiful as the book makes her out to be, but she's quite attractive. The actress who plays Catelyn is a bit further from how the book defines her, in my opinion. That might be because the original actress slated for the role was replaced (not sure the reasons).

I think my greatest concern going forward is whether the lesser-known actors who play the likes of Jon, Robb, Daenerys, Arrya, and even Jamie can live up to the requirements when their roles become more primary. I expect so, but that could be what makes or breaks the series in the long term.

No

Status

This show is amazing, like holy fuck. Loving the direwolves a lot of fun.

One thing I didn't like/understood was how they are willing to show a human get his throat ripped out by a direwolf and yet won't show an animal die, I know I wouldn't want to see an animal die but always interesting to see that choice being made by directors.

Loving the dwarf though easily the best character so far.

People's Champion

Status

They won't really show an animal dieing because of activists and such.

They'll show a fake dead animal, but they won't even show a complete fake killing of an animal because of them, lol.

No

Status

I don't think it's only that, for me I'd rather watch a human die on screen than an animal, I would be very sad and upset (not in a moral way but emotionally) if I saw an animal killed on screen

Covered in Blood

Status

I think it was just a stylistic decision. They wanted to make the connection between the Stark children and the direwolves, as well as Eddard's sense of honor and justice as clear as possible. In the first episode you had the decomposing deer and the direwolf mother, so I don't really think they're afraid of showing graphic depictions of animals, though I imagine what Drew said did have a role in the decision, albeit a minimal one. It was still a pretty graphic (and more importantly, effective) moment with the slicing of the blade and the whimper of the animal, even if you didn't get to actually see the act.

This second episode trampled any lingering doubts I might have had for the show properly capturing George R. R. Martin's world. I think they're doing an excellent job and I can't wait to see Castle Black, Vaes Dothrak, and King's Landing. Once again, I'm loving the Eddard, Robert, Arya, Jon, and Tyrion performances. I have to add Daenerys and Joffrey to that list as well.

By the way, this is ridiculous: "Game of Thrones," episode 2: Will women be tuning in? - CSMonitor.com

I wish people would, for once in their lives, think with their heads and not with their eyes. There are so many powerful women in A Song of Ice and Fire, it's not even funny. Even the prostitutes carry themselves with dignity and respect (just look at episode one with the intelligent prostitute with Tyrion). Yes, women are not exactly seen as equals in George's world, but that doesn't mean they aren't playing a pivotal role in the world's events or are just being used as "pointless, sexualized female nudity". Dany has been depicted in graphic, forceful sex so far to further the point that she is in a vulnerable and helpless position, but you can already see her trying to improve the situation by learning about sex from her maid (who also put forth a nice performance) and then insisting on having sex face to face with Khal freakin' Drogo. It's called character fucking progression and I wish people would learn about it just a little bit. Just wait until later in the series when Dany becomes one of the most powerful people in the entire world, if not the most powerful. I can't wait to see morons like this eat their words.

And what about Cat, Cersei, and Arya? They are hardly weak little women being used only for sexual exploitation. Cat is willing to abandon her bed-ridden son after a month's worth of fruitless praying and travel away from her home, all the way to King's Landing with only one person on the Kingsroad to pursue the possibility that the Lannisters played a part in Bran's fall. Is that not a powerful female character? What about Cersei, who we can see plays a significant role in the running of Robert's Kingdom. She's also played a role in at least two murders and one attempted murder of a son of House Stark. She is also involved in an affair with her own brother, which is at least ballsy if not courageous. Arya? She's only going against the conventional expectations of a daughter of a lord by dropping her sewing needles and picking up a sword. She is noble, yet is willing to befriend a lowly butcher's son. She's willing to stand up against her elder sister and her sister's future husband prince to defend the butcher's son and her right to play just as boys would. She's willing to part with her dear pet when the pet stands in the path of Cersei Lannister's wrath.

If I were a woman, I would find at least something admirable in these women. I'm a man and I certainly admire them in some regard or another.

Edit: I will add one criticism: I wish we could see Robb play a more prominent role in the show so far. I don't think his name has even been mentioned yet, but I might be mistaken. I'd also like to see Rickon.
    Last edited by Crest Fall; 04-25-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Thread Information