Thread: WWE Royal Rumble 2001 Review

WWE Royal Rumble 2001 Review

Royal Rumble
    January 21, 2001

Edge and Christian (c) vs The Dudley Boyz - WWE Tag Team Titles
    Despite being so connected with the TLC Era, this is their only two-on-two PPV meeting between both teams. In an angle that the WWE wouldn't touch nowadays, both Dudley Boyz are coming into the PPV with concussions from Monday Night. Things only got worse for them when Bubba was put through a table on Smackdown. Despite this very controversial backstory, you have an incredible little tag match. The crowd heat for this only increased as the match went on. We're not just talking about polite applause or popping for certain spots, but rather main event overness. The match is booked exactly as it should be with D-Von playing the face-in-peril to the ever cheating Edge and Christian. They run the spot of Bubba being tagged in, but forced to go back out because the ref didn't see the tag. This all leads up to the Dudley Boyz defying all odds and winning their 10th tag titles (2nd titles in the WWE) in wrestling thanks to the 3D. I'd rank this right up there with The Rockers vs Orient Express as best tag matches at the Rumble. 3 3/4 Stars.

Chris Benoit (c) vs Chris Jericho - IC Title Ladder Match
    After a year of on again, off again fighting, it's come to this to finally settle their issues. This match succeeds on several levels. For one, it's a solid singles ladder match where it was more about drama than just spots right smack in the middle of the TLC Era. Perhaps a sad point, but it's also the last really great moment for the IC title Backlash 2004. Finally, it's Jericho's reintroduction back into being booked in a meaningful manner. After having to face Kane at the last two PPV's, his workrate took a huge hit. As great as the match is (And really, besides Michaels/Razor at WM 10...maybe, there isn't a better singles WWE ladder match) there are a few flaws. The overselling near the end by both men makes for a hokey ending. Benoit took a huge bump to the outside and the finish was supposed to be him weakly trying to get in the ring, but Jericho pulls the belt down before he can. However, since Jericho was selling so much while climbing the ladder, Benoit had to oversell the fuck out of trying to get on his feet with the help of the apron. It's not enough to ruin a match, but it does take it down a few pegs from it's potential of being the MOTY. To think, this match was supposed to represent what the midcard scene was like in 2001. If only it lived up to this. 4 1/2 Stars.

Chyna vs Ivory (c) w/Steven Richards - WWE Women's Title
    Chyna had broken her neck thanks to Right to Censor. She had had a sit down emotional interview with Michael Cole discussing her health only for Ivory to make a parody video of it. Basically, it's more backstory than any woman's feud has had in the WWE since...uhh...ever? And this is only halfway through the angle! The match is very watchable thanks to Ivory taking a bunch of bumps. The match comes to an end after a few minutes when Chyna re-injures her neck when she hits her handspring elbow in the corner. One problem. She barely touched Ivory with her back. Her neck didn't even get touched. They make a huge deal of bringing out the medical staff to wheel her out on a stretcher. Great finish in theory, but Chyna fucked it up badly. The match is a throwaway, but the angle is actually really good even if it is basically making an angle out of the real horrors of Droz and Owen Hart's in ring injuries. 1 1/2 Stars.

Kurt Angle (c) w/Trish Stratus vs Triple H w/Stephanie McMahon - WWE World Title
    The feud/love triangle finally comes to an end in a rare heel vs heel match. It's worth noting that a few weeks prior to the event, Triple H had cost Steve Austin the WWE Title in a match against Angle on Raw. Angle and Hunter in 2001 are almost different wrestlers entirely from their 2010/2011 counterparts. Hunter is just flat out good. He's working on the leg of Angle all throughout the match. The pace isn't even slow. For Angle, he's in sort of a transitional phase. He hadn't quite found his formula yet, but by now he was testing out the spots he'd eventually use over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Repetitive enough for you? That's Angle for you. 2001 Angle is awesome though. The ladies are thrown in to have a cat fight to advance their surprisingly good feud before it came to a climax at No Way Out. After a ref bump, Austin pays Hunter back for costing him the belt by hitting him with the belt and a Stunner. The blows end up giving Angle the easy win. There are some issues I wish could have been changed. Hunter randomly low blows Angle to get him down from the middle rope in the middle of the match. The ref randomly looks away at the very moment it happens. If that wasn't bad enough, the commentators can't understand why the ref didn't DQ Hunter when it happened right in front of him. It's a stupid moment made worse by the commentators. Even though I enjoyed the ladies fighting, it went on for too far. This is actually a good match, I want to watch it, not a cat fight. All of the great leg work ended up not meaning much. I love when a wrestler focuses on a body part, but what's the point if it doesn't have any part in the ending? All that being said, this was a massive improvement of their overbooked Unforgiven 2000 match. 3 3/4 Stars.

Royal Rumble Match
    Despite not having Triple H, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, The Dudley Boyz, Edge, Christian, X-Pac or Eddie Guerrero in the match, the booking is so strong that it never feels as if it's lacking of star power. Right from the beginning, you get the story of the Hardy Boyz colliding, a throw back to 1989 with Demolition. Kane comes in at just number 6 to add in the biggest story of the match with being the single most dominant wrestler in Rumble history. The first third of the match ends with the hardcore battle with plenty of weapons. They even manage to spotlight the feud of Raven vs Al Snow. Kane's one man dominance comes to an end when the Rock comes out to a huge pop. From there, it's a battle reminiscent of Hunter/Austin from 2002 with both men eliminating anyone that comes between them. They kill some time until the next big star comes out in the returning Big Show. Despite only being in the match for a minute or so, Show makes a huge impression by choke slamming everyone, including the Rock through a table. Great return. From there, it's only big stars (And Billy Gunn) left to come out. These include the Undertaker, the surprising return of WCW Hardcore Champion Haku, Rikishi and Steve Austin, who was promptly attacked by Triple H and bloodied. Huge star power with the final three of Kane, Rock and Austin. Kane finishes out his amazing Rumble performance by eliminating The Rock before being hit by a chair over and over by Austin to get thrown out of the ring. Austin wins his record breaking third Rumble. Hands down, one of the four best Rumbles ever. They managed to use angles to help carry a weak roster until the exciting end. There was a few slow spots, but things always picked up. 4 Stars.

Overall
    When people talk about the best PPV's of all time, this rarely gets mentioned. Is it because Rumbles have less matches? Maybe because of the overrated Wrestlemania 17 taking place two months later? I don't get it. Personally, I'd rank very few PPV's as being better than this. You had a card full of four star-ish matches and a woman's match that isn't too terrible to watch either. It's easily the best Royal Rumble PPV in history. It's so rare to find a Rumble that has a great undercard and Rumble match. Normally, it's either one or the other. The Road to Wrestlemania begins in a big way with a PPV that blows the late 2000 PPV's out of the water.

Mi$fit

Status

Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2001 Review

Really have to agree with you in saying this is probably the best Royal Rumble period. The only thing I wish was different was the removal of the woman's match, though it was leaps and bounds better then most "Divas matches" today.

Jericho/Benoit's ladder match from this PPV is for still some reason one of my absolute favorite 1on1 ladder matches in history.

What a great PPV. One of my favorite actual rumble matches of all time as well.

Underdog

Status

this ppv was an improvment on late 2000 which had the botched austin return storyline
    the ladder match was one of the best 1on1 ladder matches ever, and the rumble was probably the best one ever

i think wwe turned things around the first 3 months on 2001, with this and the 3 stages of hell at no way out, then wrestlemania 17, which imo is overrated but still a solid show, they turned it around and was probably the best time for wwe since early 2000

Brick Shithouse

Status

I wouldn't call it one of the best, I think I'd probably prefer Wrestlemania X-Seven over it (probably because I don't rate the opener and WWF Title match quite as highly as you). I think No Way Out 2001 was better than them both and I'd love to read a review of that if you get time for it.

I doubt I'll review NWO 2001. You can find reviews of Rock vs Angle here and Austin vs Triple H here (There's more thoughts a couple of posts down as well) from both shows though. Since I've already reviewed the two main matches, there isn't much point in doing the others.

Underdog

Status

could u review wm17, would really love your thoughts on it, always thought it was good but not "the best" as many claim

and i meant rumble 2001 had my favorite rumble match, not the best ppv card, rumble 2000 imo was the better show and my favorite rumble ppv ever

I've let my feelings of WM 17 known plenty of times. It's the single most overrated show of all time. Taker/Trips sucks, McMahon vs McMahon was a failed soap opera, the undercard didn't deliver. Benoit vs Angle was good until the shitty ending. TLC is surprisingly good though. Rock vs Austin is a MOTYC, although I'd have to give it another watch to decide if it's the legit MOTY.

Underdog

Status

100$ agreed, your reviews seem accurate and its refreshing to see somebody review events that knows what there talking about, i think fans rate shows higher because they were there or other bias reasons

the undercard for wm17 was average at best, the hardcore triple threat was a normal raw caliber match, it wasn't until the last 2 hours it picked up and even then its overrated, always felt the austin heel turn was botched

can u post a best ppv of all time thread , maybe like a top ten of the 90s, then top ten of the 00's ranking the best wwe ppv's or wcw/ecw as well

Quote Originally Posted by chucky View Post
    can u post a best ppv of all time thread , maybe like a top ten of the 90s, then top ten of the 00's ranking the best wwe ppv's or wcw/ecw as well
    I don't really know that info. There's plenty of PPV's I haven't seen since I was a kid. There's plenty that I've only seen select matches from. Granted, the older PPV's (80's or early 90's), I've probably seen each one several times over the years.

Underdog

Status

can u do any top ten list, yout top ten of all time, our decade

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I find this Rumble match doesn’t hold up very well. Just seemed like a match worth importance whenever their big stars came into it. There’s just a lot of filler and not a lot of good wrestling.

I think it’s fine and there’s some great stuff but I don’t understand it if anyone thinks this is the greatest Rumble of all time.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    I find this Rumble match doesn’t hold up very well. Just seemed like a match worth importance whenever their big stars came into it. There’s just a lot of filler and not a lot of good wrestling.

I think it’s fine and there’s some great stuff but I don’t understand it if anyone thinks this is the greatest Rumble of all time.
    It's saved by the booking and continuous stories throughout. Recent years have had all the star power but the match itself is nothing special.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'd also say it benefits from being a good Rumble during a hot time period. Look at the other Rumbles from the Attitude Era. They were not good Rumbles at all. Going back further to include 1996 and 1997 to look at every Rumble during the Monday Night Wars and it's a really rough streak of Rumbles where it ranged from really bad (1997) to just okay/good (1996/1998). 2001 was the one and only that was truly a standout. Nowadays, I'd probably rank it either fourth or fifth with 1990, 1992, and 2004 being better and 2007 possibly being better.

Thread Information