Thread: Fifa World Player & Manager Of The Year Shortlists Announced.

Ole!

Status

Fifa World Player & Manager Of The Year Shortlists Announced.

Couldn't believe this when i heard it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Seven of Spain's World Cup winning-squad have been shortlisted for Fifa's Ballon d'Or award.

Andres Iniesta, who scored the winning goal in the final, is nominated along with Barcelona team-mates Xavi, Carles Puyol and David Villa.

Real Madrid's Iker Casillas and Xabi Alonso are also listed.

Cesc Fabregas of Spain and Arsenal is nominated, along with Chelsea's Didier Drogba and Asamoah Gyan of Sunderland, but there are no English nominees.

The award was previously only for players in Europe but has now merged with Fifa's World Player of the year award into one ultimate honour.

No English players are in contention, although Real Madrid's former Manchester United midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo is on the list, as are his Madrid team-mate Mesut Ozil and reigning European and world player of the year Lionel Messi of Argentina and Barcelona.

Four members of the Inter Milan side who won last year's Italian League and Cup and the Champions League are on the list - Samuel Eto'o, Julio Cesar, Maicon and Wesley Sneijder.

And Jose Mourinho, the coach who led the Italian outfit to that Treble success, joins Carlo Ancelotti of Chelsea, Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson of and Arsene Wenger of Arsenal on the shortlist for the inaugural world coach of the year award.

England striker Kelly Smith and coach Hope Powell are nominated in the women's categories.

The final decisions will be made by the captains and head coaches of the national teams as well as by international media representatives selected by France Football magazine.

The winners will be revealed in Zurich on 10 January.

World Player of the Year nominees: Xabi Alonso (Spain), Daniel Alves (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Diego Forlan (Uruguay), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Julio Cesar (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Maicon (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Muller (Germany), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Carles Puyol (Spain), Arjen Robben (Holland), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain).

World coach of the year nominees: Carlo Ancelotti (Chelsea), Vicente del Bosque (Spain), Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United), Pep Guardiola (FC Barcelona), Joachim Loew (Germany), Jose Mourinho (Inter Milan/Real Madrid), Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay), Louis Van Gaal (Bayern Munich), Bert van Marwijk (Holland) and Arsene Wenger (Arsenal).

Yes obviously its not for his Sunderland form but even so, to have a player at our club that is nominated amongst such great players is incredible.

On Vacation

Status

Re: Fifa World Player & Manager Of The Year Shortlists Announced.

Even though it's ridiculous he's even been nominated in the first place? >_>

Mourinho will get coach of the year pretty easily I'd imagine, and either Messi, Iniesta or Sneijder will get world player of the year. I'd love to see Forlan get it though.

Ole!

Status

I think he's there more for his international & world cup form.

On Vacation

Status

Yeah, obviously, these things are always biased towards world cup form. But a half decent world cup shouldn't be a good enough reason for inclusion in all fairness. Klose shouldn't be anywhere near the list either, I'm fairly certain he was shit for Bayern last season.

God

Status

I reckon it's between Xavi and Sneijder for WPOTY.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Cult of Personality
    Sawyer

Status
    Well, I guess I better put my pants on!!!
      Country                    ca=Canada

Mourinho and Snejder for Inter's double.

FFS Calm Doon

Status
      Country                    UK

And Wenger done what to deserve to be on that list?

Cult of Personality
    Sawyer

Status
    Well, I guess I better put my pants on!!!
      Country                    ca=Canada

...and where the hell is Milito and Lucio?

Serie A once again getting the shaft. I hate Inter, but both Milito and Lucio and maybe even Zanetti and Samuel deserved to be on this list. As a matter of fact, Milito would have gotten my vote to win it. Absurd to leave him out.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Sneijder should win, probably with Xavi second and Messi third (shit world cup, but 47 goals all season? Holy shit).

Mourinho for manager of the year is the only result that makes sense.

Why Milito isn't there ahead of jokes like Gyan and Klose is ridiculous. Apparently scoring 2 penalties out of your 3 goals in the World Cup is enough to exclude Inter's second best player behind Sneijder.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I think they'll give it to iniesta, ahead of sneijder and messi, they always give it to a world cup winner in a world cup year (cannavaro 2006, Ronaldo 2002, Zidane 1998) and Iniesta scored the winner in the final. Militos omission from the the list is shocking

Mourinho has it in the bag it has to be said

Thread Information