Thread: J reviews controversial decisions.

12 and 0hio!

Status

J reviews controversial decisions.

Basically in this thread I'm going to review fights that had controversial decisions and score them round by round, explaining why I thought each round went to the person it did and such. I'm already working on my first one which is Machida vs Shogun 1 but I would love suggestions to other fights because it's hard to think of one's off the top of my head.

Status

Re: J reviews controversial decisions.

Nice idea.

Off the top of my head:
    Michael Bisping d. Matt Hammill @ UFC 75
    Yoshihiro Akiyama d. Alan Belcher @ UFC 100

Edit... Also:
    Quentin Jackson d. Maurillo Rua @ Pride 29
    Sean Sherk d. Evan Dunham @ UFC 119
    David Loiseau d. Jason Day @ HFC - Destiny

Not sure if you wanted UFC-only...
    Last edited by Big Papa; 10-01-2010 at 06:44 PM.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

GSP v BJ Penn 1 - - Couture v Rizzo 1 - - Garcia v Chung Jung (WEC).

12 and 0hio!

Status

Lyoto Machida vs Shogun Rua
    UFC 104
    Winner: Lyoto Machida
    Decision: Unanimous 48 - 47

Round One: Although this round can easily considered back and forth when it comes to punches and kicks thrown the leg kicks that Shogun is able to land greatly outweigh the damage being done by Machida. Also the fact that Shogun is able to push and hold Machida against the cage not once but twice landed vital leg kicks.

Winner of Round One: Shogun

Round Two: Once again another very very close round, pretty much the same thing, back and forth with Shogun able to dominate a large chunk at the end with holding Machida against the cage and landing a few nice knee's, However Machida was able to stop a very nice take down and even land many very crucial counter's on Shogun so I give him the edge but not by much.

Winner of Round Two: Machida.

Round Three: Machida does everything a fighter is his position should have done perfect. He constantly switches up his stance in order to protect his wounded ribs, he goes on the offense as the first two rounds he seemed to play defense. He is even able to dodge a few potential fight enders and gain a pretty big set of combo's towards the end of the round.

Winner of Round Three: Machida.

Round Four: Round Four seems to almost be a replica of Round's One and Two with Machida defense. While the round goes can arguably be seen as going back and forth Shogun is just landing those crucial leg kicks edging him ahead of Machida.

Winner of Round Four: Shogun

Round Five: Once again a very close round with both fighters able to go back and forth. Both fighter were able to land a very nice combo but the fact once again is Shogun is able to get those leg and body kicks in on Machida pushing him ahead.

Winner of Round Five: Shogun

Winner of the Fight: So basically this fight seems to go back and forth most of the time and I can understand the judges having a hard decision on Rounds Two and Five as they were very very close but the fact remains you look at those rounds as a tie Shogun is still up Two to One. Looking from UFC's standpoint I understand them not wanting to turn the belt over on a decision but sometimes that's what decision's are for. For the simple fact Shogun despite the fact the fight is close being able to sneak in those crippling Leg and Body kicks theirs no doubt should have won this fight. That being said he was able to capture the belt in the rematch a rematch was not needed.

Decision: 48 - 47 Shogun

Feel free to agree, disagree, tell me what I could do to make this better, any input is awesome for this thread, as no one is perfect and if I think the judges messed up someone else could easily say they didn't.
    Last edited by The Infamous J; 10-01-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Status

Not a bad analysis. One thing to want to consider as well, though, as is cage control. The Unified Rules give it a fair amount of weight, and in close fights, it can be what judges use to decide.

Also, the UFC really isn't directly responsible for the judges. Judges are assigned - and employed - by the state athletic commissions. So the UFC really doesn't have control over who judges sanctioned fights. Its something to keep in mind when casting a critical eye at judging decisions.

12 and 0hio!

Status

Very very good point, I should have put my opinion towards more of the way the judges called the fight but they probably have the same thoughts as UFC. The fact that a belt shouldn't be handed over on a decision cause just as easily as people get riled up at a losing decision handing the over on a controversial judging decision could get so much more heat. Any onion on the fight itself?

Status

I haven't seen it in a long while. I watched the fight twice - once during the event and once with a more critical eye afterward. Both times, I thought Shogun won. I can't agree or disagree with the specifics of your analysis, simply becuase I don't remember the details well enough. I would have to watch it again. But the conclusion of Shogun decision win is the same one I came to.

I believe the judges simply undervalued the leg kicks that Shogun was landing and the damage they were doing. As Cecil People's said after the fight, "Leg kicks don't win fights". Which is both ludicious and wrong. Single straight jabs don't usually win fights either but they still score damage and count on the score cards... Leg kicks mean damage and they reduce an opponent's ability to do almost anything.

As for the UFC - or specifically Dane White's - thoughts on a title changing hands on a decision... I honestly don't think they'd care. Dana White is concerned with exciting fights, because that's what brings fans back the next time that fighter is on a PPV. I would have to believe that a controversial decision like that is not seen as a positive by the UFC - even if it means a lucrative rematch, the dubious decision is a knock against the legitimacy of the sport. That issue is one of the many that has afflicted boxing and knocked it off its perch...

12 and 0hio!

Status

Anybody else have any input??

Resident MMA Junkie

Status
      Country                    us=United States

This isn't a thought filled input but I didn't have Machida winning a round in that fight. Only reason he go the decision was Shogun did all body and leg work and the judges were blind to it, imo.

Thread Information