Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The WC 40: Top 10 WWE wrestlers

Stylin' and profilin'

Status

The WC 40: Top 10 WWE wrestlers

Inspired by the PWI 500 rankings and their often surreal placement of the wrestlers they highlight, a thought entered my mind - what would happen if WC were to offer an alternative? What would such a list look like - and how would it differ from PWI's? The intrigue got the best of me and I started a thread in General Wrestling to see whether we could make a (n admittedly subjectively) better list - and how.

How this phase works
    • Choose who you believe have been the 10 best WWE wrestlers over the course of 12 months hitherto (Aug 05, 2009 - Aug 05, 2010) solely on the basis of their work in the described period. This is not another attempt to find the best ever, but whom you considered the best in this period alone.
    • It's best to put your choices in numerical order, from best to worst, as it may have an effect on whether certain wrestlers get through to the next phase
    • It may be a good idea, but is not compulsory, to avoid nominating people who have had few matches, unless they have a particular merit, or those who you feel have contributed more to other promotions over the time period mentioned. Some people could be listed under WWE or Independent, like Kaval, so in such circumstances, where you put them is up to you.
    • Reasoning is always good - though it's not necessary to provide us with the rationale behind all your choices, it sometimes helps to elevate this experiment of sorts beyond a couple of list threads and gets a potentially interesting dialogue going, particularly as the series goes on.
    • This isn't essentially about promise, but by who has performed - take care in choosing those who have yet to show their ability, unless what they have shown so far is worthy of top 10 promotional status. This isn't a number one contenders or who's going places sort of deal in itself either - making the most of forward momentum is something to be considered, but momentum in itself isn't much of a factor. This isn't necessarily about choosing the ten guys closest to the top of the WWE food chain, but the ten guys who do their jobs best - if that involves one or two consistent lower-carders, so be it. Main eventers and Superstars stalwarts can collide. It's up to you to determine the extent of overlap between real life hierarchy and level of performance.
    • You don't have to list all 10 if you don't want to - if you've got a certain number in mind, but the rest are filler, just go with the former and not with the latter if you want.

What happens afterwards
    • The ten best WWE wrestlers 09-10 are determined by putting together all your votes and finding the ten with the strongest support.
    • They go onto a final round with the top 10 Indie and TNA wrestlers, determined in a similar fashion. An intervening Wildcard round where 10 wrestlers from any promotion who haven't gotten through in the first round happens, where debates should arise as to whether, for instance, an established hand from the Big 2 should go over a rising star on the indies or vice versa.
    • In the end, there will be a list of 40 wrestlers grouped together, that everyone can rank from 1-40. This will determine the final list.

So, if you're interested in participating, the more seriously is the merrier, and I'd be delighted to have you on board here, in the sister threads in the TNA and Indie forums if you watch either, and in the wildcard and final rounds. Naturally, you don't have to contribute to all stages of the process, but it would be good to get your opinion on those that you watch to make the eventual portrait that we build together fuller and truer to the forums' true beliefs.

Will Cena still be the highest ranking WWE star in the WC 40 as he was in the PWI 500? Which of the promotion's younger guys will do best? Will there be surprise omissions or inclusions on WWE's guaranteed quarter of the bill? You yourselves each own a slither of the answer.

We are not really here

Status

Re: The WC 40: Top 10 WWE wrestlers

1. CM Punk- I am obviously one of the biggest CM Punk fans in the world and will always feel obliged to vote for him in situations like this. But other than that I do think he is the best heel in the WWE, If not the best heel in the world

2. John Cena- Popularity wise the guy is on fire! He has his haters who like to portray themselves as hypocrites (If you look at all of his haters they make fun off two things: His move-set and his character, Just think about that ). Plus I am a big fan

3. Randy Orton- His popularity keeps growing and growing and growing. The face turn was the best thing that has happened to him

4. The Miz

5. Edge

6. Chris Jericho

7. Wade Barrett

8. Rey Mysterio

9. Evan Bourne

10. Triple H

HE'S BIG
    HE'S QUICK
    HE'S GOT A 12-INCH DICK
    KOMPANY! KOMPANY!

I'm back.

Status
      Country                    gb=Great Britain

I've decided to base main mainly on the pay per views since August last year (as it says from that period of time onward to now) as that is where the WWE is going to make most of their money. I'm basing it on quality of the matches as well as the length of the matches the guys took part in, but I am not taking into account who won the matches as that means nothing imo.

-

1. John Cena - I don't care what your argument is, if this guy isn't top of your list you are completely biased. He's been at every pay per view for the past year, numerous times being in main events and there is no doubt if you added up the minutes of who's been in the ring for the pay per views, tv shows and house shows of this year, Cena wins without any shadow of a doubt. He's the face of the company and love him or hate him he is number 1.

2. Randy Orton - Another guy that has been at pretty much every pay per view, tv show, house show etc. He's main evented a fair few pay per views and recently has been getting pops that could match Cena. He's some way off Cena in my eyes but is a clear second.

3. Chris Jericho - Whilst he's not been constantly in the main event like Cena and Orton, he's been an ever present this year floating in and out of the main event scene also enjoying mid-card feuds. If this list was based solely on wrestling you could argue Jericho would be top, but it isn't so he gets third place, he's the best of the rest which is still a very good feat in my eyes.

4. Triple H

5. Kofi Kingston

6. Shawn Michaels

7. Big Show

8. The Miz

9. Rey Mysterio

10. Ted DiBiase

I did write reasons for the other guys but they got lost when I accidentaly clicked away from the page. The reasoning for the positioning is like with the others, based on how much they're featured on pay per views primarily, with tv and house shows also taken into account. Honorable mentions would go to: CM Punk, John Morrison, Sheamus, Drew McIntyre, Undertaker, Jack Swagger and Cody Rhodes.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by BritishInvader View Post
    I've decided to base main mainly on the pay per views since August last year (as it says from that period of time onward to now) as that is where the WWE is going to make most of their money. I'm basing it on quality of the matches as well as the length of the matches the guys took part in, but I am not taking into account who won the matches as that means nothing imo.

-

1. John Cena - I don't care what your argument is, if this guy isn't top of your list you are completely biased. He's been at every pay per view for the past year, numerous times being in main events and there is no doubt if you added up the minutes of who's been in the ring for the pay per views, tv shows and house shows of this year, Cena wins without any shadow of a doubt. He's the face of the company and love him or hate him he is number 1.

2. Randy Orton - Another guy that has been at pretty much every pay per view, tv show, house show etc. He's main evented a fair few pay per views and recently has been getting pops that could match Cena. He's some way off Cena in my eyes but is a clear second.

3. Chris Jericho - Whilst he's not been constantly in the main event like Cena and Orton, he's been an ever present this year floating in and out of the main event scene also enjoying mid-card feuds. If this list was based solely on wrestling you could argue Jericho would be top, but it isn't so he gets third place, he's the best of the rest which is still a very good feat in my eyes.

4. Triple H

5. Kofi Kingston

6. Shawn Michaels

7. Big Show

8. The Miz

9. Rey Mysterio

10. Ted DiBiase

I did write reasons for the other guys but they got lost when I accidentaly clicked away from the page. The reasoning for the positioning is like with the others, based on how much they're featured on pay per views primarily, with tv and house shows also taken into account. Honorable mentions would go to: CM Punk, John Morrison, Sheamus, Drew McIntyre, Undertaker, Jack Swagger and Cody Rhodes.

Horrible list is horrible.

1. John Cena - Had some good gimmick matches with Orton (aside from the Iron Man) and has had possibly his best year in 2010 since 2007. Showing himself to be an emotional, passionate, and intense worker with some smart in-ring decision.

2. Rey Mysterio - The go-to guy in the WWE for draw, great in-ring display, getting the best out of two performers, and getting a great feud. Rewarded for his great service. One of the few performers in the WWE that hasn't slowed down since the previous year.

3. CM Punk - No debates about the one, two, and three spots, at all. Punk has been either the best heel in professional wrestling or one of the best heels during this span. He's basically in a main event status at the moment without needing a championship, his matches with Rey were a great series, and no one has been able to be consistent in mic work as he has been.

4. Randy Orton - Gained massive popularity. Countered quite nicely from going into a stale oblivion. Countered as well with good matches.

5. Sheamus - Not only the most improved during this span, but one of the better consistent performers. Plays his role quite nicely. Doesn't make sure a quick WWE Championship run feel akward. Pushed quite nicely and responded with being great.

6. Triple H - I loved how he was ACTUALLY HELPING TALENT during this span.

7. The Miz - Massive popularity quite deserve by a great heel role and entertaining/mocking promos. Good in-ring quality at best.

8. The Big Show - Performed and played his gimmick like a guy his size should. Has been a great superstar during this period.

9. Jack Swagger - Still not perfect. Quite dissapointing during the early phase of this span, and still a bit dissapointing and obviously pre-mature during the early stages of his title reign. But, I enjoyed his matches and was actually suckered into anting his reign reach the potential it didn't.

10. Chris Jericho - Barely makes this list. I don't know why. Maybe it's because Daniel Bryan and Evan Bourne helped give him some good matches on the resume during this span. He had his share of accomplishments during the span, but he's definitely a figment of his former self. He won't realize he's stale in promos and he's become more of a person to carry than Edge.

Honorable mentions go to Taker, Bourne, and maybe Morrison, Mcintyre, Christian, and Rhodes.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

We are not really here

Status

I forgot to mention but I think Jeff Hardy deserves an honurable mention. His feud with CM Punk was great and went on during Aug/Sep

HE'S BIG
    HE'S QUICK
    HE'S GOT A 12-INCH DICK
    KOMPANY! KOMPANY!

I'm back.

Status
      Country                    gb=Great Britain

You're joking with Jeff Hardy aren't you? He left within the first month of the period of time you were evaluating them on.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    us=United States

1. John Cena
    2. Shawn Michaels
    3. CM Punk
    4. Chris Jericho
    5. Rey Mysterio
    6. Sheamus
    7. The Undertaker
    8. Randy Orton
    9. The Miz
    10. Triple H

We are not really here

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BritishInvader View Post
    You're joking with Jeff Hardy aren't you? He left within the first month of the period of time you were evaluating them on.
    He was there for all of August (TLC Match) and there for most of September (Steel Cage match + Match at Night of Champions). Compared to Ted DiBiase I don't think that's all bad

HE'S BIG
    HE'S QUICK
    HE'S GOT A 12-INCH DICK
    KOMPANY! KOMPANY!

On Vacation

Status

Yea, putting Jeff Hardy up is fine, but since not a lot of people will put him up, he might just show up on the WC 40 Wildcard part.

Stylin' and profilin'

Status

Thanks for participating to all those so far who have done so.

Quote Originally Posted by VOWrestling View Post
    Yea, putting Jeff Hardy up is fine, but since not a lot of people will put him up, he might just show up on the WC 40 Wildcard part.
    Agreed, VOW - he might turn up in TNA, but if he doesn't, Wildcard is probably the best shot. Wildcard is almost natural territory for people who have spread their work over two promotions, as it is during that stage that their entire work across all companies during the year can be discussed.

We are not really here

Status

It doesn't matter anyway, I just gave an honourable mention to him :p

HE'S BIG
    HE'S QUICK
    HE'S GOT A 12-INCH DICK
    KOMPANY! KOMPANY!

Squash Fodder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzya View Post
    1. CM Punk- I am obviously one of the biggest CM Punk fans in the world and will always feel obliged to vote for him in situations like this. But other than that I do think he is the best heel in the WWE, If not the best heel in the world

2. John Cena- Popularity wise the guy is on fire! He has his haters who like to portray themselves as hypocrites (If you look at all of his haters they make fun off two things: His move-set and his character, Just think about that ). Plus I am a big fan

3. Randy Orton- His popularity keeps growing and growing and growing. The face turn was the best thing that has happened to him

4. The Miz

5. Edge

6. Chris Jericho

7. Wade Barrett

8. Rey Mysterio

9. Evan Bourne

10. Triple H
    Good on everyone, just... why the hell Wade Barret? He doesnt have anything to offer. Really, he cant wrestle, cut a promo or anything. Him and the NXT guys are really over rated. Just because they feud with Cena their the next big thing? Wow...

Stylin' and profilin'

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chunkypooh12 View Post
    Good on everyone, just... why the hell Wade Barret? He doesnt have anything to offer. Really, he cant wrestle, cut a promo or anything. Him and the NXT guys are really over rated. Just because they feud with Cena their the next big thing? Wow...
    Who would you have on your list, Chunky?

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

1) Sheamus - Has really come into the main event status, that was originally thrust our way. His matches have steadily gotten better and he is darn good on the mic.

2) CM Punk - Probably been top heel of this span of time, with the whole SES thing. Excellent mic work and his matches have been some of the better ones out there.

3) Chris Jericho - Gets shit on, by a few select members here at WC, who are just clearly biased against him. Continues to be one of the best in the ring, and his mic work as always is fantastic. His facial expressions are some of the best in wrestling.

4) Randy Orton - Nobody hotter at the moment in the WWE. The crowd go crazy when he comes through the curtain and even crazier when he hits the RKO. His matches are usually quite decent.

5) John Cena - If he could stop with the lame jokes, which kill any promo he gives, I would easily have ranked him higher up. His ring work is more than fine, it is just the character he has preventing him from being the best in the WWE.

6) The Miz - I think by this time next year, if he continues at this pace, he will be either 1, 2 or 3 on this list. Mic skills are almost untouched, except for a few of the WWE superstars. May not be the greatest in ring, but he has made huge improvements, especially the last 6 months or so.

7) Big Show - His current face run has been excellent and I think really helped freshen him up a bit. His tag teams with both Jericho and Miz were both very good.

8) Rey Mysterio - Massively over with the fans, that is for sure. My only gripe with him is that every match he is in, feels exactly the same, just with a different opponent. MIc work has actually improved some this year.

9) Jack Swagger - Went from no push to main event, and has gradually come into the role.

10) Undertaker - Even in a limited role due to injuries, he continues to pull off some of the big time matches ever.

Honourable Mentions:

Drew McIntyre
    Edge - bad booking has really killed his momentum
    HHH
    Shawn Michaels
    Christian
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Indy Talent

Status

1. Chris Jericho-- Obviously one of the greats. I feel like this guy can make even the most mediocre midcard match good. He brings out the best in any opponent.

2. John Cena-- Still not a fan of his by any stretch, but this last year he has really seen some improvement.

3. Randy Orton-- Always been a pretty good in ring performer, generally better than alot of the guys getting pushed to the main event. Last year been great at making people look good.

4. Sheamus-- Im finally warming up to this guy. I am finally at the point where I believe he's a viable champion. He really had some pretty great matches with Cena.

5. The Miz-- Another guy I dont really like, but im warming up to. I have to admit its his gimmick that I hate, his in ring performances have been some of the best around.

6. Edge

7. Evan Bourne

8. CM Punk

9. Mysterio

10. Christian
    PWG Seven Pick'ems Runner Up
    Chikara Young Lions Cup 2010 Pick'ems 3rd Place

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

1 - Rey Mysterio - Rey has been constantly delivering in-ring, has been in an epic feud with Punk, and has really improved on the microphone. He's not had a bad match, and he's held the World Title (albeit un-necessarily). He's the real MVP of the WWE and well deserves the #1 spot.

2 - John Cena - He's been having a great year and had some great feuds with Orton, Nexus, and even helped create new stars in Evan Bourne and Sheamus. His in-ring work has been good, his mic skills great as usual and he always gets a reaction.

3 - CM Punk - He's been a World Champion, ended Jeff Hardy's WWE career, feuded with Taker and Mysterio, and now Big Show. He's formed a formidable faction and cut the best promo's hands down on SmackDown at least. In fact the only man that can hold a candle to him would be The Miz, verbally, but more on him later. Punk has been an all round great performer and is only not in the #1 spot due to booking decisions.

4 - Randy Orton - He'd be higher were it not for his terrible booking during The Legacy debacle. I personally disliked his face turn, and would still class him as a tweener more than anything, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. His promo's and ring work have always been good to great, and steadily improved over the year as well.

5 - The Miz - The guys a fucking heat MAGNET!! He cuts amazing promo's and wrestles a style that doesn't give you the impression he's as good as he says he is. He's been Tag Champion, two time US Champion, he's Mr. Money In The Bank, and the only repeat coach on NXT. He's wrestled guys like Daniel Bryan and Kaval and made both look great (which is admittedly, not hard) and had the best match on Raw this week against Orton, proving he can work with all levels of guys and look good. This year is undoubtably the year of The Miz.

6 - "Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels - Basically for his 'Mania moment and retirement speech. The build towards the second Taker match (which I was personally against at the time) was well put together, and HBK's self-destruction and the eventual falling apart of DX was great. Not only did he tear the house down at WM26, but he held the Tag Titles for a time as well.

7 - Christian - Other than Rey, no one has been as consistent in ring as Christian. While his booking has sucked and his promo's are (in my opinion) nothing overly special, he's put over guys such as Kofi, McIntyre, Ziggler, etc... with a win, a loss, or a draw. He's an essential in the group and his time to get pushed higher, will come.

8 - The Undertaker - Pretty much included solely for his 'Mania work, although his Title reign and TV matches (with the likes of Rey) certainly helped his cause. He's wrapping up his career, but who knows exactly how long he has left.

9 - Sheamus - The last two spots took some time to formulate in my mind, and by no means are they miles apart in quality. Much like the Top 4 (who you could swap and change on a weekly basis) these last two, and indeed several others not included who I'll not as "honourable mentions". Sheamus takes the top of these two available spots for going from new monster to bonafide main eventer in the space of a year. Two Title reigns and feuds with Cena, Orton and Triple H have all helped make him, but it's his constant improvement and dedication to his own gimmick that gives him the edge above the others.

10 - Chris Jericho - 2010 hasn't really been his year, but Jericho's always a fun guy to watch cutting promo's or wrestling underdogs (like Bourne and Tatsu) as well as bigger guys (like Cena and Edge) and given that 2009 was a great year for him, he edges his way onto this year.

Honourable mentions: Jack Swagger, Big Show, Goldust, Evan Bourne, Dolph Ziggler.

WAKE UP

Status

1. Rey Mysterio
    2. CM Punk
    3. Christian
    4. John Cena
    5. Evan Bourne
    6. The Undertaker
    7. William Regal
    8. Batista
    9. Sheamus
    10. Luke Gallows

Elaboration coming later.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 08-05-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chunkypooh12 View Post
    I agree, what exactly has Barrett done to be included on this list? Personally I think he's great and that he's a future main eventer, but he's wrestled (and beat) who to deserve mention?

Covered in Blood

Status

1) Rey Mysterio
    2) CM Punk
    3) Christian
    4) Jack Swagger
    5) Luke Gallows
    6) Sheamus
    7) Big Show
    8) Randy Orton
    9) John Cena
    10) Chris Jericho

On Vacation

Status

1. John Cena. He is THE MAN in the biggest wrestling organization in the world. Nuff said.

2. Chris Jericho. He was carrying TWO shows for a time! RAW and SD needed him, so he wrestled a double schedule to compete on both.

3. Randy Orton. Becoming a second coming of "the rattlesnake"! He's only behind Cena in popularity and puts great matches every time out.

4. Jack Swagger. They FINALLY gave him a World Title run! To bad they didn't treat him like a main eventer or let him hold it for long. Still, he is the reason to watch SD and is the future of the WWE.

5. Big Show. I actually don't like putting him this high, but I have to. He's been dominant for an entire year!

6. The Undertaker. Yes he's missing time, but the time he's wrestling, he's still a huge draw and puts on MOTY candidates.

7. Sheamus. He's beginning to work as a main eventer, even though I still don't buy into him quite yet. He's being used as a monster, and winning, so he's doing his job well enough.

8. Rey Mysterio. I love Rey in the mid cards, not much of a fan of him in main events for world titles. Still, he's doing a great job for SD.

9. Daniel Bryant. YES! He was the only reason to watch season one of NXT. Also, his firing was the most talked about thing for a month!

10. CM Punk. He's not the best heel in the wwe today, but he's doing his job well over on the B show.

Thread Information