Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Team in WWE History? Simple Answer.

Twitter.com/SirXBA

Status

Greatest Team in WWE History? Simple Answer.

I was just thinking about this at work. Between Matt and Jeff Hardy they have won every championship available to them while in the WWE. Some might not consider them the greatest "tag team ever" because alot of these championships are singles belts, but they are quite the duo if not the best tag team ever. Check this out!

(it's obvious no single superstar has won all these championships, and I am pretty sure no other tag team has accomplished as much as these two)

-WWE Championship (Jeff Hardy)
    -World Heavyweight Championship (Jeff Hardy 2x)
    -U.S. Championship (Matt Hardy)
    -WWE Tag Team Championship (Matt Hardy)
    -Cruiserweight Championship (Matt Hardy)
    -Intercontinental Championship (Jeff Hardy 4x)
    -World Tag Team Championship (Jeff 6x and Matt Hardy 6x)
    -Hardcore Championship (Jeff Hardy 3x and Matt Hardy)
    -Light Heavyweight Championship (Jeff Hardy)
    -European Championship (Jeff and Matt Hardy)
    -ECW Championship (Matt Hardy)

If you want to count it, they even won the WCW Tag Titles. That's pretty impressive between a tag team.

SUBSCRIBE TO ME ON YOUTUBE
    XBA325 WANTS YOU TO CLICK HERE

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: Greatest Team in WWE History? Simple Answer.

Yeah they are the best. Based on accomplishments and popularity. 3/4 of the IWC might hate em but WWF/E made more money off them than any other team in history (excluding DX because HBK and HHH are not a real tag team) and that's the whole point of a business.

Squash Fodder

Status

Los Guerreros

Custom Usertitle.

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

I'd take Shawn & Jannetty over every tag team in WWE alone. Hardys' wouldn;t be close to my no. 1 from the top of my head.

If we're talking about just tag teams, then what they do alone or with others is pretty irrelevant. Otherwise, you could make a case for Shawn Michaels and John Cena for being one of the best tag team ever. Since Vince Jr. has taken over, the possible choices are pretty slim. While some teams like the Road Warriors and Steiner Brothers may be high up in pro wrestling tag teams, their contributions to the WWE tag scene is far more limited. The first team that really did something for Vince was the Hart Foundation. They were together from 1985 until 1991. Despite only holding on to the titles for two reigns, they held the belts for nearly a year (342 days) longer than The Hardy Boyz six WWE tag team title reigns. Their feuds with The British Bulldogs, The Killer Bees and Demolition remains some of the best in WWE tag team history.

Next up, there's Demolition. While some may call them Road Warriors rip offs, there's no denying that they're one of the best teams in WWE history. Their first tag title reign remains the longest in WWE history. Combined, they've easily held the tag titles longer than anyone else in WWE history. They had quality matches against The Hart Foundation, The Brainbusters and Strike Force.

Despite never officially holding on to the tag team titles, the Rockers deserve some acknowledgment. While Demolition and others were tag team champions, the Rockers were having the best tag matches in the WWE. Matches with the Hart Foundation and Brainbusters were MOTYC's. Their popularity was also so high that they may just be the most popular WWE tag team that were never given the belts.

You'd have to skip several years to find another deserving team, but it comes with the New Age Outlaws. Despite being the weakest team on my list, they were very over and had the tag team scene built around them. Their five title reign's combined length lasted just under The Hart Foundation. The only other recent tag team that has held the belts for around the same time were Paul London and Brian Kendrick, but even then, it's a good distance difference. I'll also be willing to bet that they sold more merchandise than any other team that I will list in this post (Including DX merchandise that it's fair to say that NAO helped sale).

Finally, there's the two modern tag teams in The Hardy Boyz and The Dudley Boyz. Despite having more title reigns than the other teams in this post, most were fairly short. The main reason they're on this list is because they helped create a short lasting boom period for tag team wrestling. Unlike Edge and Christian, they also managed to stick together for more than just a few years. Overall, I'd probably give the Dudley Boyz the slight edge since they held the titles for longer and were together for longer sequences in time.

Overall, I'd rank it as:

1. The Hart Foundation
    2. The Rockers
    3. Demolition
    4. The Dudley Boyz
    5. The Hardy Boyz
    6. The New Age Outlaws

Meanwhile, I'll give special nods to The British Bulldogs, The Brainbusters, Edge and Christian, MNM and Paul London and Brian Kendrick for also having memorable runs in the WWE.

WAKE UP

Status

Hardys are second best after The Rockers but I'd put them over most of the other teams mentioned in this thread in a heartbeat.

Squash Fodder

Status

Brothers Of Destruction

Intercontinental Champion

Status

You guys do realize that the Rockers in the WWE were pretty much just a jobber tag team? They were losing to the Orient Express, ffs.

And yeah, the Hardy's did nothing compared to Demolition, Edge and Christian, Legion of Doom, and the Steiner Brothers. Individual championships do not equal tag team success. And I know you discussed that point, but the Hardy's individual championships were not that meaningful. They were all short term and hardly epic.

WAKE UP

Status

I wouldn't base my opinion of who is better on kayfabe accomplishments.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

So what do you base them on? Matches of the year? Marketability? Recognizability? Financial success? Longevity?

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I wouldn't base my opinion of who is better on kayfabe accomplishments.
    If you read the OP though, that does seem to be the basis of this thread.

I remember being quite fond of the Hardy Boyz but they fell out of favor with me at some point and I'm not quite sure why. Edge and Christian get my vote for now. Though honestly, I don't think I've ever marked out more for a tag team than when Stone Cold Steve Austin and HBK were paired together.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

WAKE UP

Status

A combination of things. I would count ring work as the main criteria, as that is the direct judge of their work after all, but stuff like longevity, drawing power (not that tag teams drew in WWE), promos, historical significance, etc. would also be taken into account.

I wasn't watching when the Rockers were actually in existence, but watching their stuff I havent felt as if they were jobbers and have never really seen them called that at all. Low-card acts, maybe, but certainly not jobbers and I don't think jobbers would have been so memorable or popular.

I can't speak much on Demolition, but E&C's promos were way better than their actual matches were (and they don't have that much longevity either), and the Steiners are overated highspots/MOVEZ guys who did very little of significance in the WWE (I wouldn't talk about their WCW work when discussing WWE history, personally).

Hardys may not be much on the promo side of things but were a really consistant tag team through their first initial run, and had good matches outside of just the TLCs and were easily the most popular/significant out of them E&C and the Dudleyz. Then they also had their numerous comeback runs or reunions over the last half a decade where they were really reliable.

EDIT - The OP may be refering to kayfabe accomplishments but IMO that's just silly. Kayfabe accomplishments say Ultimate Warrior was a better wrestler than Rick Rude, which is obviously nonsense.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I say the Hardy Boyz are the greatest tag team in WWE history. They were fun to watch and they worked really well together.

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

I would say the different combinations that came out of Calgary Stampede....Hart Foundation....British Bulldogs...Then later on in the mid 90`s Davey & Owen....

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Personally I feel one of the best WWE produced tag teams is the Hart Foundation. SUre, the Road Warriors are imo the greatest team ever, but I look at them as more of an NWA product than a Vince product. Even though they were originally thrown together as a short term team (much like the Hollywood Blondes) they really became one of the best teams in WWE history. Sure, Bret was the breakout star of the team but you could argue that through the Hart Foundation days that Anvil carried the team.

G.O.A.T.

Formerly Deven

Status

Brothers of Destruction and Rock n Sock connection
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Twitter.com/SirXBA

Status

I really should have also said "Most Historic Tag Team" as well just based on their accomplishments. Some said HBK and John Cena and the Brothers of Destruction. Sure those are great tag teams, but for the most part those were tag teams put together after they were already accomplished. The Hardyz started together. The Brothers of Destruction and HBK/Cena won a ton of titles, but they didn't win EVERY title that was available to them. Between Matt and Jeff, they basically won everything, which sets the bar history-wise.

SUBSCRIBE TO ME ON YOUTUBE
    XBA325 WANTS YOU TO CLICK HERE

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by XBA325 View Post
    Between Matt and Jeff, they basically won everything, which sets the bar history-wise.
    Between them Edge & Christian have basically won everything aswell.

Ole!

Status

How exactly do the Hardy's set a bar?

The titles they won were singles titles not tag titles, yes they did win the tag titles on a few occasions but they weren't historic or record breaking wins.

You can't base a how good a tag team were on individual achievements because thats what they were, individual achievements not tag achievements.

Oh and its Demolition btw as the greatest ever, holding the belts for as long as they did with the teams who were around at that time is an outstanding achievement

Thread Information