Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120
Results 2,381 to 2,397 of 2397

Thread: Horror Movie Discussion

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Horror Movie Discussion

Watching Dawn of the Dead right now and I'm only 30 minutes in and I'm liking it so far. The Zombies look are so bad man, like what I saw in Night of the Living Dead the 90's version which they look great and you can see how The Walking Dead TV show took alot of their looks from the Movie, and in Dawn they look really goofy. I know it's 1978 and you didn't have what you had many years later or even today, but fuck they didn't try to me. Maybe as the film goes on the look of the Zombies look better crossing my fingers that I'm right here. I can't wait to finish this to watch Day of the Dead maybe one of my favorite films in general.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

If you’re watching Dawn of the Dead and your prime concern is how the zombies look then you’ve completely missed the point of the movie.

Also, didn’t you say earlier that you’d never seen any of these movies? Now Day of the Dead is your favourite? How is that even possible?

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Sylvester Stallone Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    If you’re watching Dawn of the Dead and your prime concern is how the zombies look then you’ve completely missed the point of the movie.

Also, didn’t you say earlier that you’d never seen any of these movies? Now Day of the Dead is your favourite? How is that even possible?

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.
    I've seen Day of the Dead years ago for the first time around the time Jim was doing Frightfest and the Movies before and after I never seen till this week because I didn't know they were more Movies to the franchise. I know what the Zombies look like in Day of the Dead and those Zombies look scary as hell compared to what I saw in Dawn. Also when I said favorite when it comes to Day of the Dead I meant favorite Horror Movies and favorite Movies of all time not in the franchise since I haven't seen them all yet.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    For the second straight year, I participated in submitting a top ten list for a horror podcast that I'm a part of it's community. Here's my list:

10. The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    9. Under the Shadow
    8. Pet
    7. Hush
    6. What We Become
    5. The Invitation
    4. The Blackcoat's Daughter
    3. The Monster
    2. The VVitch
    1. Train to Busan

Honorable mentions: Hangman, The Girl in the Photographs, Green Room, The Wailing, and Fear, Inc.

Overall, 2016 was a great year for horror, particularly if you ventured outside of mainstream theatrical horror. For those who aren't big fans of comedy in horror, featured a greater emphasis on serious horror over the horror comedies that dominated 2015. Netflix had some success by snatching up the rights to premiere movies that didn't get a proper theatrical run like The Invitation and Hush. The quality of the Netflix debut movies were a big upgrade over 2015's Visions, The Veil, Curve, ect. Theatrically, there were some strong movies as well with The VVitch, 10 Cloverfield Lane, I Am Not a Serial Killer, Green Room, Lights Out, and Don't Breathe. The latter two are good examples for how strong of a year 2016 was as I'm sure they would have both made my top 10 for 2015. In fact, it's a year where I could have done a top 25 and feel as if every one of the movies are really strong movies for the year. On the other end of the spectrum, there were some awful duds. Oz Perkins, who directed The Blackcoat's Daughter, one of the better 2016 horrors, also made one of the worst horrors of the year with I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House. The Break-In may be a cheap no bucks movie, but it somehow managed to be awful even by those standards. The pointless shot-by-shot remake of Cabin Fever failed to understand what made the original one of the better horrors of 2003.
    A bit late, but I did this for the third straight year back in December. My top ten list:

10. A Dark Song
    9. Hounds of Love
    8. Get Out
    7. The Belko Experiment
    6. Dave Made a Maze
    5. Raw
    4. The Girl With All of the Gifts
    3. IT: Chapter 1
    2. Better Watch Out
    1. The Devil's Candy

Honorable mentions: It Comes at Night, Boys in the Trees, Mayhem, The Transfiguration, and Creep 2.

Overall, most horror fans I interact with was really high on 2017 horror to the point where even at the start of the year with with Get Out, Split, ect, calling it a great start. By the end of the year, even calling it as good or better than 2016 horror. While I certainly didn't think 2017 horror was bad, it did leave me disappointed. Some of the films, including Get Out and Split, didn't connected as much for me as they did with others. 2017 was a very strong year for fringe horror, even though by its nature, not everyone is going to consider them all to be horror. Dave Made a Maze is such an example. It's essentially a horror movie if Dan Harmon made horror. So it's very comical and wacky, but it's incredibly creative. 2017 was also a blast from the past with Chucky, Leatherface, Samara, that damn Amityville house, and even mummies returned. Sadly, none of those delivered quality with the exception of Pennywise. Ultimately, 2017 will probably best be remembered for the year horror earned the respect it should have had from the mainstream universe for the last few years.

LRH Tech Support Unit

Status

Jim,

Any way you could review the horror film Midnight Meat Train?
    Last edited by vadermania; 03-08-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Jim,

Any way you could review the horror film Midnight Meat Train?
    I think we're a tiny bit away from October.

Ole!

Status

Bump!

So just finished watching some Vincent Price films in The House On Haunted Hill and The Monster Club.

Liked them both very much especially House On Haunted Hill, very good ending.

Monster Club was a little corny but the 3rd short Ghouls was probably my favourite.

Going to spend some time this week watching a few more horror films
    Last edited by Mikk; 06-16-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Status
      Country                    United States

Robert Englund Returning as Freddy Krueger for 'The Goldbergs' Halloween Episode

Should be fun!

Status

Just watched Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday. Pretty bad movie, just popped up on what to watch Netflix list. Pretty interesting that this was originally going to be Jason Vs Freddy but got put on hold (at least for 10 years). And the ending you would think would have lead to the exact movie.

Budget and box office notes

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday debuted in U.S. theaters on Friday, August 13, 1993, to a weekend box office total of $7.6 million across 1,355 screens.[8] The film would go on to gross a final domestic total of $15.9 million, placing at number 86 on the list of the year's Top 100 earners.
    So it did pretty good for what it cost.

This movie to me wasn't scary, had terrible acting, and bad lighting. The actual concept is interesting, but they just didn't deliver. I've probably seen this movie over 10 times at this point, and still it's very forgettable.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Jason Goes to Hell isn't the greatest but it does seem to get better every time I watch it.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Sylvester Stallone Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

I have to think financially, Jason Goes to Hell was a big disappointment for New Line. Sure, it made its budget back and a bit of a profit, but that's it. The only Paramount Friday that did worse at the box office was Jason Takes Manhattan, but part of the problem with that film was the additional costs of filming in NYC. Had they not had twice the budget of a normal Friday, it would have done just as well as Jason Goes to Hell. Meanwhile, New Line just spent all of this money to access to the series and after a four year break, hoping that moviegoers would be interested in seeing Jason Voorhees on the big screen again, like they were in the mid 80s, it proved not to be true. Even with the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies costing more money to make than a Friday the 13th film, New Line still easily made a bigger profit with their last Nightmare a couple of years earlier with Freddy's Dead. So what exactly was New Line getting for their money? In theory, it was all about being able to make Freddy vs Jason, but since it took New Line a decade to finally make the movie, did the extra money they make on Freddy vs Jason mean anything when they were now producing monster hits like the Lord of the Rings films?

While it was sort of a failure, I dig Jason Goes to Hell. The drawback is that it's not really a Friday the 13th film. I don't know how original of a script it is, but it feels as if New Line simply used a script that was previously collecting dust, added Jason to some scenes, and gave it a new title. Sometimes it can be nice when a franchise shakes things up and introduces something new, but in the case of Jason Goes to Hell, they completely changed the mythology. So as a Friday the 13th film, it's really frustrating, but as a body horror, it's fun.

American Ninja

Status

I love JGTH. Says quite a bit about my preference of the Friday series over the other big horror franchises when JGTH wouldnt crack my top 5 for Friday 13th movies but id still take it over most NOES or Halloween sequels. I love how over the top it is and i feel like they captured the feel of the series while also coming up with a fresh story. Its at least better than Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason X, i actually even like it a bit more than part 6 since it kinda returned some of the raunchy edge that 6 was lacking.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I have to think financially, Jason Goes to Hell was a big disappointment for New Line. Sure, it made its budget back and a bit of a profit, but that's it. The only Paramount Friday that did worse at the box office was Jason Takes Manhattan, but part of the problem with that film was the additional costs of filming in NYC. Had they not had twice the budget of a normal Friday, it would have done just as well as Jason Goes to Hell. Meanwhile, New Line just spent all of this money to access to the series and after a four year break, hoping that moviegoers would be interested in seeing Jason Voorhees on the big screen again, like they were in the mid 80s, it proved not to be true. Even with the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies costing more money to make than a Friday the 13th film, New Line still easily made a bigger profit with their last Nightmare a couple of years earlier with Freddy's Dead. So what exactly was New Line getting for their money? In theory, it was all about being able to make Freddy vs Jason, but since it took New Line a decade to finally make the movie, did the extra money they make on Freddy vs Jason mean anything when they were now producing monster hits like the Lord of the Rings films?

While it was sort of a failure, I dig Jason Goes to Hell. The drawback is that it's not really a Friday the 13th film. I don't know how original of a script it is, but it feels as if New Line simply used a script that was previously collecting dust, added Jason to some scenes, and gave it a new title. Sometimes it can be nice when a franchise shakes things up and introduces something new, but in the case of Jason Goes to Hell, they completely changed the mythology. So as a Friday the 13th film, it's really frustrating, but as a body horror, it's fun.
    I think someone watched The Hidden (1987) and thought "lets do that, only with Jason" and the rest is history. JGTH is a massive piece of shit. If it was as censored by the MPAA as Parts 5, 6, 7 & 8 were it would be considered one of the worst horror movies of all time and certainly one of the worst sequels ever made.

The only good thing about this movie is the gory death's and I'll admit some of the humor made me chuckle. Like you said, it was stupid to try to revive the franchise 4 years after the end of the horror boom anyway. Look at how many horror movies flopped in 1989 and 1990. These franchises were well and truly dead.

They got it right with Bride of Chucky in 1998. Enough time had passed since the last one, the landscape of horror had changed dramatically (rather than being on life support like it was for the first half of the decade), they had a fresh new take on the franchise and it was a big hit. Bride of Chucky added a little bit to the mythology, but kept things consistent. What the hell is up with the story and characters they came up with for Jason Goes To Hell? None of it had anything to do with the Paramount movies and they just made a whole bunch of shit up out of nowhere that had never been referenced in any of the original 8 movies. The writer of this movie went on to write the amazingly bad Texas Chainsaw 3D from 2013. Impressive he ever got work again. That movie was even worse than Jason Goes To Hell.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CptHowdy87 View Post
    I think someone watched The Hidden (1987) and thought "lets do that, only with Jason" and the rest is history. JGTH is a massive piece of shit. If it was as censored by the MPAA as Parts 5, 6, 7 & 8 were it would be considered one of the worst horror movies of all time and certainly one of the worst sequels ever made.

The only good thing about this movie is the gory death's and I'll admit some of the humor made me chuckle. Like you said, it was stupid to try to revive the franchise 4 years after the end of the horror boom anyway. Look at how many horror movies flopped in 1989 and 1990. These franchises were well and truly dead.

They got it right with Bride of Chucky in 1998. Enough time had passed since the last one, the landscape of horror had changed dramatically (rather than being on life support like it was for the first half of the decade), they had a fresh new take on the franchise and it was a big hit. Bride of Chucky added a little bit to the mythology, but kept things consistent. What the hell is up with the story and characters they came up with for Jason Goes To Hell? None of it had anything to do with the Paramount movies and they just made a whole bunch of shit up out of nowhere that had never been referenced in any of the original 8 movies. The writer of this movie went on to write the amazingly bad Texas Chainsaw 3D from 2013. Impressive he ever got work again. That movie was even worse than Jason Goes To Hell.
    The Hidden is awesome. I love that movie
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

To be fair, that's not what I said nor do I agree with it. With how the slasher boom of the early 80s had clearly died off, if anything was going to be a hit for horror in the early 90s, it was the two biggest 80s horror icons duking it out with Freddy vs Jason. For whatever reason, rather than making their first Jason movie be Freddy vs Jason, New Line decided to go with Jason Goes to Hell first and then use that movie to set up Freddy vs Jason at the very end of Jason Goes to Hell. In the end, we didn't get to see whether or not a 90s Freddy vs Jason would have been that all valuable hit that horror could have benefited from at that point in time. To buy the rights to the Friday series and then purposely sit on them, like it seems like you're suggesting them to do rather than create Jason Goes to Hell, would have been a waste of money for New Line.

Curtain Jerker

Status

To be fair, that's not what I said nor do I agree with it. With how the slasher boom of the early 80s had clearly died off, if anything was going to be a hit for horror in the early 90s, it was the two biggest 80s horror icons duking it out with Freddy vs Jason. For whatever reason, rather than making their first Jason movie be Freddy vs Jason, New Line decided to go with Jason Goes to Hell first and then use that movie to set up Freddy vs Jason at the very end of Jason Goes to Hell. In the end, we didn't get to see whether or not a 90s Freddy vs Jason would have been that all valuable hit that horror could have benefited from at that point in time. To buy the rights to the Friday series and then purposely sit on them, like it seems like you're suggesting them to do rather than create Jason Goes to Hell, would have been a waste of money for New Line.
    New Line just spent all of this money to access to the series and after a four year break, hoping that moviegoers would be interested in seeing Jason Voorhees on the big screen again, like they were in the mid 80s, it proved not to be true.
    Sorry. That's just how I read it. Regardless, the horror boom was well and truly over by 1993. Freddy's Dead was reasonably successful because fans were anticipating an epic final chapter to the series. The movie was very poorly received by fans and New Line should've been aware of this.

The Friday The 13th series had been getting diminishing returns at the box office with every subsequent movie. Jason takes Manhattan grossed a measly $14,343,976 at the box office. There were few horror movies that didn't flop from 1989 up until Scream came out in 1996.

I'm not suggesting they should have sat on the rights to the Friday The 13th franchise, but rather never bothered buying the rights to a dead franchise well after the horror boom ended in the first place.

You say don't agree agree that it was stupid to revive the franchise at this time. Why? Movie studio's only really care about what's profitable and both series had rapidly declined in popularity and box office returns during the horror boom and now here we were 4 years after the horror boom when the genre was on life support.

(Just to clarify, I like plenty of horror movies from 89-96 and I know many horror fans highly regard a lot of movies from that period. I'm referring strictly to the business side of things)

I'm not suggesting they should have sat on the rights to the Friday The 13th franchise, but rather never bothered buying the rights to a dead franchise well after the horror boom ended in the first place.

You say don't agree agree that it was stupid to revive the franchise at this time. Why? Movie studio's only really care about what's profitable and both series had rapidly declined in popularity and box office returns during the horror boom and now here we were 4 years after the horror boom when the genre was on life support.
    I don't have a problem with waiting for years between Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason Goes to Hell since sometimes you need a bit of time to give the fans a chance to want to see the next entry in the series. If you're just making a new sequel nearly every year, not only are you spending minimal time coming up with ideas, but with each sequel, it's feeling a bit less of a special event. This is especially true for sequels of diminishing returns since a major part in what determines if a sequel will be successful is how the previous film did. Since things weren't improving in the Friday series, waiting a few extra years before the next sequel may have been good in terms of allowing the Friday fans to forget about Jason Takes Manhattan some. Not to mention, by waiting a few extra years, you're further allowing the slashers to die out so that when Jason Goes to Hell came out, the horror competition was family friendly (Hocus Pocus, A Nightmare Before Christmas, Addams Family Values), drama horror (The Good Son, Boxing Helena), comedy horror (My Boyfriend's Back, So I Married an Axe Murderer), and misc horror (Jurassic Park, Return of the Living Dead 3, and Needful Things). Jason Goes to Hell had pretty much all of 1993 to themselves as the sole slasher. Compare that to 1990 and you're having to compete against other slashers like Child's Play 2, Leatherface, and Slumber Party Massacre 3. Whether it works or not, I do feel as if there was some solid logic in waiting a bit longer than usual.

The whole idea why it wasn't stupid for New Line to buy the rights to Friday the 13th is because in order to keep all of the money made from the long awaited Freddy vs Jason film. Even with the slasher boom ending nearly a decade before Jason Goes to Hell came out, if there was ever going to be a successful horror movie in the first half of the 90s, it was going to be Freddy vs Jason. New Line's biggest mistake of the 90s wasn't putting out a less than desirable Jason Goes to Hell or even buying the rights to the Friday series, but rather dropping the ball on creating and releasing a 90s Freddy vs Jason.

Thread Information