• SummerSlam 2013

3 16.67%
Page 41 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: General WWE Discussion

SAY MY NAME

Status
      Country                    England

Re: General WWE Discussion

Heath Slater might just be the WWE's greatest jobber of the 21st Century, people always want to see him get his ass kicked

Show Off

Status

Colin Delaney was the best WWE jobber of the 21st century.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

I disagree. Slater actually has no appealing features to grab onto where Delaney was sumwhat underdogish. Guy bumps like a freaking fool btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

HOSS MOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Colin Delaney was the best WWE jobber of the 21st century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capone View Post
    I disagree. Slater actually has no appealing features to grab onto where Delaney was sumwhat underdogish. Guy bumps like a freaking fool btw.
    Really, we're discussing apples and oranges.

Delaney was the plucky kid who everybody rooted for but always got mangled, making the heels look more heelish.

Heath Slater is a pompous, full of himself guy who's ego overweighs his accomplishments BY A LOT, and is therefore fun to watch get mangled by every babyface in history.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    nz=New Zealand

I miss Simon Dean Now HE was a great jobber.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

I still get Simon Dean and Matt Striker mixed for some reason. The Earth needs more Simon Deans.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

SAY MY NAME

Status
      Country                    England

Simon Dean you say?

WAKE UP

Status

Simon Dean and Nova were both fun gimmicks, but the guy wasn't much of a worker.

Slater is a pretty bog standard guy, but he has the douche schtick down and bumps pretty well, which makes him a perfect job fodder. I doubt that Vader match would have been as fun with him crushing another dude.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    uk_wales=Wales

I've been thinking about some guys who had major pushes and then just burned to the ground.

Look at Drew McIntyre - there was once talk of him being a World Champion. I never thought much of him but a lot of people did.
    Bobby Lashley had a major push as ECW Champion and US Champion, but never made it to the big one. It's a shame because I actually quite liked him.

Can you think of anymore? I'm trying to rack my brains lol.

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Everyone in Nexus that wasn't Wade Barrett.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Doot Lock View Post
    Everyone in Nexus that wasn't Wade Barrett and Daniel Bryan.
    Fixed. Though I think Skip would of made it through safely had he not hurt himself.

Show Off

Status

Quote Originally Posted by rhys View Post
    I've been thinking about some guys who had major pushes and then just burned to the ground.

Look at Drew McIntyre - there was once talk of him being a World Champion. I never thought much of him but a lot of people did.
    Bobby Lashley had a major push as ECW Champion and US Champion, but never made it to the big one. It's a shame because I actually quite liked him.

Can you think of anymore? I'm trying to rack my brains lol.
    Bobby Lashley wasn't buried, he just got an unfortunate injury and fell out with management. If he hadn't gotten injured, he'd have probably been a world champion by 2008. McIntyre is a great shout though.

To be honest, there's loads though. Miz is probably the most high profile one these days.

I am the Outlaw

Status

Yeah when was Skip's depush? He was arguably the most protected Nexus member and then he got injured for 18 months. Now he's back as Ryback and he's getting a major push.

He was always going to get pushed as a singles guy, it just got delayed due to a bad injury.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Underdog

Status
      Country                    10=Lost

Otunga has landed safely after Nexus burned to the ground, too. And they even gave Mason Ryan another push!

Still think Miz will be back. This time off TV is going to help him freshen up... is he shooting that movie already or are WWE purposely keeping him off television?

I'd add Ted DiBiase and even Alex Riley (who I never liked, but got a heavy push), to the list. DiBiase I genuinely think he's got talent, but seems they have given up on him. He just needed a Cody Rhodes-like "click" where he finds a character where he can develop.
    Last edited by Village Idiot; 06-17-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Indy Talent

Status

I agree about Ted DiBiase. He is definitely talented, but I dunno, he just hasn't found his niche I guess. I personally liked him as the Million Dollar Champion, they could have built on that. But it just didn't work out.

I am the Outlaw

Status

I'm surprised people seem to think the Nexus guys haven't been successful. Personally I think it's quite impressive that all minus ONE of the original Nexus group still have a job 2 years on, with one a former World Champion and main event level wrestler, and two more getting big pushes (Ryback and Wade). Otunga has a nice role with lots of TV time, Slater is a really fun jobber, Darren Young is in a new tag team usually getting air time on Smackdown. I guess Justin Gabriel has kind of faded away in recent months but he's kind of limited anyway.

Ted Dibiase is one of the blandest guys in wrestling. It's not really a case of them giving up on him, he just doesn't have "it". He's a decent wrestler (not stand-out good though) but he doesn't have the charisma to be a real success in the business.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Team Cyrus T

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Even though The Nexus was portrayed badly and shot a repeated amount of times as a concept, it got some fresh faces on the roster.

Guess it worked in the end.
    "Good news is I only have three moves. Bad news is..they all hurt".

Indy Talent

Status

The Nexus did what it had to do. It made a star out of Barrett, Otunga, McGillicutty, Slater and Gabriel all won tag team titles (Slater and Gabriel won them 3 times). And it indirectly made stars of Daniel Bryan and Ryback. I think the only guy who crashed and burned was Michael Tarver.

God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by rhys View Post
    The Nexus did what it had to do. It made a star out of Barrett, Otunga, McGillicutty, Slater and Gabriel all won tag team titles (Slater and Gabriel won them 3 times). And it indirectly made stars of Daniel Bryan and Ryback. I think the only guy who crashed and burned was Michael Tarver.
    The only person who benefited from it was Barrett. Bryan got out early and ended up being the biggest success. Look where Slater etc are now. Ryback was gone for a long ass time so he would count as a failure for Nexus. That would be like giving Spirit Squad the credit for Ziggler. Nothing to do with each other.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    The only person who benefited from it was Barrett. Bryan got out early and ended up being the biggest success. Look where Slater etc are now. Ryback was gone for a long ass time so he would count as a failure for Nexus. That would be like giving Spirit Squad the credit for Ziggler. Nothing to do with each other.
    His time in the Spirit Squad gave him TV time, and a chance to shine under a new alias. If it wasn't for the Spirit Squad, Ziggler wouldn't be in the WWE right now. So they may not have directly helped him, but it was a factor.

Thread Information