Thread: Rey Mysterio: Real main eventer?

On The Radio Or Twitter..

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Rey Mysterio: Real main eventer?

Rey Mysterio did a great job as head of the cruiser division during 2002-2005. He battled in many matches and held the belt many times.

Unfortunately, the cruiser division was deleted from the WWE so now Rey is apart of the main event scene on Smackdown which I think is wrong.
    Reys gimmick of being a "Good guy" is getting old and boring; He's had this gimmick for years. The involvement of Reys family also is getting lame. It's possibly the fact that his character is so stale as to why I can't stand him anymore. Rey Mysterio should not be apart of the main event scene. He should not be feuding with CM Punk. He should be using his wrestling skills to improve others and be involved in a purely wrestling storyline. A better-than-you-at-wrestling type storyline perhaps.

Thought?

I'm back.

Status
      Country                    gb=Great Britain

Re: Rey Mysterio: Real main eventer?

I definitely find him stale. They wont turn him heel though because he he's over as hell and sells an absolute crap load of merchandise, probably second only behind Cena in that department.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BritishInvader View Post
    I definitely find him stale. They wont turn him heel though because he he's over as hell and sells an absolute crap load of merchandise, probably second only behind Cena in that department.
    That's just stupid and shows he's only for the kiddies. Turn him into a heel who loves showing off how awesome he is in the ring.

Status
      Country                    United States

I can agree with Binvader in that he has grown stale for me. I really enjoyed his work in the cruiser weight division. True, he was in a lot better shape then physically, but his matches as a whole just seemed a lot more entertaining. Also, even though he was really good, he wasn't such a huge threat. He really was an underdog then. He would lose just as many matches as he won. After his win at WM 22, he really bulked up a bit and became this unstoppable force that could reverse almost any move. While a lot of people have really enjoyed the feud with Punk, and even though I like certain aspects of it, I look at it backwards. Rey is billed as being the underdog and Punk has the "advantage". Regardless of that though, even with his in ring ability, I can't stand Rey's promo's or some of the idea's he comes up with for story lines.

On Vacation

Status

A better than you character would be interesting, but honestly, Mysterio does not have the mic skills to get it over, and is stuck as a babyface for life. Just like babyface Edge fell flat no matter how hard they pushed it, the same would be with heel Mysterio. He is an awesome wrestler, but it wouldn't work imo.

Anyway, I like Mysterio for his awesome wrestling ability more so than his character or mic work. His got natural charisma anyway so he will always be over. If it aint broken dont fix it, and Mysterio has been working well for ages.

(I stole that from Steve)

WAKE UP

Status

Mysterio as a heel would be terrible and to suggest otherwise at this point is honestly just silly.

I don't have a problem with his character, though I can see why others do. But that doesn't change that he is one of the most over acts and biggest draws the company has, and to change that for the sake of appeasing internet message board fans who complain about the "kiddy product" would be stupid, not the other way around.

The idea that a guy who is a good wrestler, really over and a big draw SHOULDN'T be a main eventer is retarded.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 05-10-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    United States

Yes. I enjoyed his title run, actually, except for the BS ending.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with him from a wrestling standpoint, his mic skills are good enough for what he needs to use them for, and he's crazy over.

There's a reason why the Punk/Mysterio program is some of the best stuff going, and Rey's a big part of that. He's a refreshing change from the big lummoxes we usually see in the main event as well.

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

If he was pushed like an underdog, then maybe I could stand him. They always say he is the ultimate under dog, yet he wins almost every match he is in. Where I come from, an under dog is someone who tries tremendously hard and many times will still come up short, but you admire them for their effort.

Rey reversing almost every move put on him, is one of the main reason I can't stand any match he is in. His matches are way too predictable, as he hits like 3 thousand hurricanrana's a match, reverses everything, and then hits the 619. Just cause he is small and extremely quick, shouldn't mean he is able to reverse out of every move, especially when he faces people like Show, Taker, Kane or other big men.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jereecho View Post
    If he was pushed like an underdog, then maybe I could stand him. They always say he is the ultimate under dog, yet he wins almost every match he is in. Where I come from, an under dog is someone who tries tremendously hard and many times will still come up short, but you admire them for their effort.

Rey reversing almost every move put on him, is one of the main reason I can't stand any match he is in. His matches are way too predictable, as he hits like 3 thousand hurricanrana's a match, reverses everything, and then hits the 619. Just cause he is small and extremely quick, shouldn't mean he is able to reverse out of every move, especially when he faces people like Show, Taker, Kane or other big men.
    The fact he's constantly built up as a "small" wrestler who can't defeat anyone. I suggest he tells the announcers that they are wrong, which would storm him into an agressive "I'm-better-than-you" type storyline where the only talking he'd do is in mexican (He also would think that Mexico > USA) & wrestle and win every match with a different exciting move.

WAKE UP

Status

Some people fantasy-book the worst ideas.

They havent played up Rey as the underdog at all in the Punk feud. If anything, the feud has been built around Rey constantly getting the one-up on Punk. It's not an underdog story. It's your standard "babyface is better than heel, so heel has to use dirty tactics to even the playing feild" feud. Same with the Jericho feud.

Rey hasn't been in a feud that pushed him as the underdog in a long time.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post

They havent played up Rey as the underdog at all in the Punk feud. If anything, the feud has been built around Rey constantly getting the one-up on Punk. It's not an underdog story. It's your standard "babyface is better than heel, so heel has to use dirty tactics to even the playing feild" feud. Same with the Jericho feud.

So the announcers have never played up that fact that Serena and Gallows are at ringside? Never?

Fact is that the announcers see Mysterio inferior to Punk because Mysterio doesn't have anybody with him.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Can't fault Mysterio on much if anything, great in the ring, good on the mic and has a unique look. He has made himself too big for the mid-card scenario but at the same time no one buys into him as a world champion so having him in a non-title main event fued makes sense to me, he's had a run of great fueds since moving to SD in last year's draft and that's enough to tell you the character he is at the moment is working so I wouldn't say he's somehow become stale as his fued with CM Punk is a good one.

WAKE UP

Status

The odds are stacked against him, yes, but he isn't made out to be below Punk, which is what underdogs usually are. He is portrayed as being better than the SES, it's just the SES use their numbers to gain an advantage. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post

I don't think they're doing it now with CM Punk but I wouldn't say they haven't done it in a long time as I'd say they slightly played the underdog story with his fued with Batista but at the same time it was more about Batista "turning on his friend" and becoming a monster.

WAKE UP

Status

I had forgotten the Batista feud to be honest, it wasn't really a major program. And even then, he DID get destroyed by Batista, so the complaint of him winning despite being an underdog doesn't apply.

Status

I don't really have any complaint about an underdog upsetting the big dog fued unless they overdo it that is but I wouldn't say they have overdone it.

🔪 Cool·Vegan·Mom·Club 🌻

Status
      Country                    Canada

I agree that hes after getting boring, but he's as entertaining as hell in the ring! Love him or hate him all of his fueds end in great matches!
    I'd love to see old WCW maskless Rey again but right now it would NOT be smart.
    Besides, he's one of the few gimmick wrestlers left. Everyone else is just a first and last name.
    Overall i hate to love Mysterio most of the times

Thread Information