Thread: Hold Off The Christian Title Reign

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Hold Off The Christian Title Reign

There have been rumours for years that Vince McMahon has never seen Christian as headline material. That being said I've alwasy thought he'd have at least one title reign, it's never crossed my mind that he wouldn't. There were even rumours in 2005 that he was promised one.

Now he's been moved to Smackdown, a brand that's been stripped of most of their headline stars, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Christian were to win a big title over the next year.

With world title reigns being given out to a wider variety of wrestlers more than ever and said wrestlers having multiple title reigns, winning one of those belts isn't quite the achievement it once was. It's still great to have it on your CV and world titles are still important, but there aren't many memorable title victories these days. That's why I think WWE should hold off any potential Christian title win. I'd never consider him to be in the same league as a world travelled professional as Chris Benoit and I don't think he'll ever reach the popularity of Eddie Guerrero in 2003-2004. But I think Christian is the only logical answer to creating a title victory as memorable and emotional as what happened at No Way Out 2004 & WrestleMania XX.

Personally I think it'd do more for his legacy if he were top never win a big WWE title, but even so, does anybody else think they should hold off any potential WWE or WHC victory for maybe a couple more years?

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Tommy Got Hacked

Re: Hold Off The Christian Title Reign

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Yeezy Taught Me

Status

Having Christian as basically a stand alone face on SD really gets me thinking this is WWE's way of setting him up for him winning his first world title and basically running SmackDown as the guy. It's pretty apparent they're taking that route. Aside from the sudden Big Show love, which I support though. Big Show is awesome.

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm not a big fan of Christian, and since most people on here generally like him any comments I make will garner negative responses.
    On a positive note though, I did enjoy his first singles push when he broke up with Edge and was heel and had an opera/rock music theme. Great mid carder then.

Yooooo Mang

Status

yeah he is a superentertaining heel but he is also an awesome face...he really does anything he is asked amazingly so his title run would be epic...but I do hope that they give Swagger a legit title run before they give Christian the belt though

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Red View Post

First of all I don't see how it would help his legacy to never win a World Title.
    You don't think being refered to as one of those guys that should've won a WWE world title but didn't would help his legacy?

Being thought of as one of the best to never win a World Title doesn't really mean much.
    I'm probably alone but I think in the future it'll probably be better for certain wrestlers than actually winning the title. Not having a title reign that people want to see is infinitely better than having a title reign that's disappointing. But that's just me.

It'd be much better for him to get a big moment and a memorable, highly rated run as World Champion.
    Of course, but do you think that'll actually happen? I can't think of more than a few title reigns from recent memory that've been like that.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

People's Champion

Status

I love how my thread about Christian is closed but not this one.

Anyways, i think he is ready for a good title push, but knowing WWE they will screw it up.

Yeezy Taught Me

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Last Man Standing View Post
    I love how my thread about Christian is closed but not this one.

Anyways, i think he is ready for a good title push, but knowing WWE they will screw it up.
    Not closed thilly, merged.

And how will they screw up Christian's title push?

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Prime View Post
    Not closed thilly, merged.

And how will they screw up Christian's title push?
    Same way they dropped the ball on Jeff Hardy's first one, give him so much potential but then make him look like a total waste of time push. I mean, WWE doesnt know how to push the real talent.

Yeezy Taught Me

Status

Same way they dropped the ball on Jeff Hardy's first one, give him so much potential but then make him look like a total waste of time push. I mean, WWE doesnt know how to push the real talent.
    Did you just call Jeff Hardy "real" talent?

And as for Jeff's first reign, he was insanely over as a babyface. There wasn't a guy getting more love from the WWE Universe more than him. Pops were crazy, spot reactions were on point etc. WWE didn't drop the ball, they just put Jeff out there and made him improvise, and he fucking sucks at improvising. But the fans still ate that shit up.

As I said before, they're basically putting the spotlight on Christian by taking two of SD's main guys and moving them to RAW. Christian is pretty much setup to be the top dog on SmackDown. Only way they could fuck Christian up is if they make him wear stupid armbands and face makeup.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    You don't think being refered to as one of those guys that should've won a WWE world title but didn't would help his legacy?
    It makes for a unique legacy, putting him in with the likes of Ted DiBiase, Rick Rude, etc. But I don't know about it being a "good one". Especially in this era, when there are two main belts and regular changes.

I don't really see how it would be positive to say "Christian never won a WWE world title" when his friend Edge has 9 reigns. Triple H has 13. Cena has 9. Jericho has 6. Almost all of his contemporaries have won at least one - CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Kane, Benoit, Guerrero, Orton, Batista, Big Show, Great Khali... Even Sheamus and Swagger, who may never do anything else in their WWE careers (thought I doubt it) can claim it now. Sharing a legacy with Matt Hardy, Goldust, and William Regal isn't the most positive thing.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

It doesn't help his legacy but it sure adds to storyline ammunition for the character.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

One.... Bad.... Dude

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I say give the man his reign, the dude deserves it. He is one of the few storytellers left in this business, someone who actually TRIES to get the crowd emotionally involved in every match he has, and that says something in today's business.

And bar none, on the stick, there are VERY few people as talented as Christian. The man can cut a promo like nobodies business, and they all are entertaining in their own right.

I don't give a shit about Captain Charisma or the "peeps", but I do believe one thing... The man truly is an "Instant Classic".... Give him the title for six months and let's get wrestling back to what it can be, and not what the assholes in the back "want" it to be.....
    Wrestling According To Us
    only on YouTube

Main Eventer

Status

Wait.....Jeff Hardy is "real" talent?

Weirdest statement ever. Anyway, since Christian just came to Smackdown, they should definitely keep his Title Reign on hold. If they'll ever be one. >____>

Like Tommy said, I would love to see Edge as champ versus Christian at next year's Mania! Fantastic....

On Vacation

Status

I think they moved him to SD to feud with Swagger for the belt seeing as how they had a lot of great matches for the ECW belt and obviously have good chemistry together

Main Eventer

Status

Their first match together in February 2009 was freaking great. 18 to 19 minutes of epicness!

Rise Above All!

Status

Wrestlemania 27:

Edge (c) vs Christian for the World Heavyweight Title

Sounds good to me.
    I have to agree with this Tommy. I think the promo Edge and Christian did on Smackdown was that initial build-up/foreshadow of events for next year's Wrestlemania. If the WWE can do this right, it could really be an interesting feud between the two.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Intercontinental Champion

Status
    Would've hoped for a title fued right now which Big Show's gotten.....or a fued with CM Punk which would take him into the main event scene and lead to great mic work from both and great matches but it seems they've given that fued to MVP...

My guess is they're going to have him fued with McIntyre for the moment unless they continue with McIntyre/Matt Hardy or give that fued to Kofi Kingston. I can feel a Christian world title fued nearing but looks like we'll be doing a bit more waiting.

The didn't really want to push Jeff Hardy to begin with in my opinion, they gave him the title only because he had the fans on his side without even getting a real push which is the same thing with Christian, the fans want him to get a World Title and expect him to do so in the future and WWE will probably give it to him but really won't try and make him into a star.
    Last edited by CuttingEDGE; 05-02-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Thread Information