Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the apparent Edge heel turn?

Tommy Got Hacked

Thoughts on the apparent Edge heel turn?

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Re: Thoughts on the apparent Edge heel turn?

I don't like it, but I expected it since theres so much talent now in raw and most of them are faces.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Considering he is a heel, I thing we were all just quick to judge him when he came back. To be fair when he returned he had some of his heel tactics still there but was just feuding against another heel making him seem like a face when in reality he was more of a tweener. I mean pretty much everyone wanted him to turn face when he returned so when he came back and attacked Jericho we all assumed that yeah he is a face.

Bangin' It.

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

I hope he can make it interesting again. When he was heel he was interesting at first. Hopefully now after being a face for a short period of time he be more of a fresh heel. I wasn't too much of a fan for his face work so I'm happy to see him as a heel again.
    Nothings better than simplicity.

Tommy Got Hacked

Yeezy Taught Me

Status

The way WWE is selling his spear on RAW this week, the more I' believing this is his way of turning heel, rather than him just asserting himself into the title picture as I originally presumed. I won't be complaining though, as Edge vs. Orton has been my dream feud since their breakup match in 2007.

Heel Edge is always epic.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Considering he is a heel, I thing we were all just quick to judge him when he came back. To be fair when he returned he had some of his heel tactics still there but was just feuding against another heel making him seem like a face when in reality he was more of a tweener. I mean pretty much everyone wanted him to turn face when he returned so when he came back and attacked Jericho we all assumed that yeah he is a face.
    This.

Don't get into the debate if you don't want to.

I agree with everything CGS said there. If WWE wanted him to be a face, what was stopping them from booking him to do face things? Saying "they want him to be face so he is regardless of his actions" is stupid. Perhaps they intentionally made him look borderline face (despite him technically being a tweener) so that it would be more of a shock when he did what he's doing now. Did the thought ever cross anyone's mind? I don't believe in this stuff but: just because God wants people to be good doesn't mean they will be, they have free will and it is their actions that dictate whether they are good or bad. WWE is God in that analogy, and it's absolutely clear logic.

That said, I am much happier about potential of heel Edge than boring tweener / borderline face Edge.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Tommy Got Hacked

Intercontinental Champion

Status

He doesn't look right as a face so it's the best thing they could've done especially seeing as he's now on RAW where they have both Cena & Orton, he'd look like a 2nd rate face next to them.

And he was a face for god's sake, it's plainly obvious to see when wrestlers are booked to be either faces or heels.

Serious Business

Status

Edge always played the heel role best. I couldn't fully get behind the face/tweener Edge, so I'm happy the 'whatever it takes' heel Edge is back.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Edge is terrible. The crowd didn't even care for his heel turn last night. Without Lita and Vickie Edge is nothing. He has never drawn heat on his own. Hands down the most overrated man in wrestling.

Think Your Greezy?

Status
      Country                    gb=Great Britain

Never really cared what a man who's name is "selfhighfive" says anyway...

Edge was a good face, but badly booked. Throughout his Jericho rivalry he relied on the "spear spear spear" crap and god help me I hated it. If booked right he could've done really well.

They've bailed out because their more than aware he's failed.

Edge as a face was never as entertaining when he was a heel. Even when you watch him in past years, he just comes off as bland instead of his lively heel character. So in that regard, it's probably a good thing that he's a heel again. However, I hate quick turns. They take away the importance of what a turn is supposed to accomplish. The more you do it to a wrestler, the more the likelihood of the fans not caring about him. I'm guessing the turn is happening so that Edge can remain in a top spot if Hunter comes back before Batista leaves.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Another thing I have noticed is that a lot of people are saying that Edge plays the heel character must better than he does the face charatcer. How can we really judge that unbiased when he hasn't been a full blown face (not inclduing that little 3 month run where I still consider him as a tweener) since early 2004 back when he was a midcarder. I don't it's more to do with the fact that he IS a better heel but rather that we have pretty much all become accustomed to seeing him in that way.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Red View Post
    That analogy would only be acceptable if God were controlling us

WWE DECIDE what Edge does.

But whatever, he's a heel again now. I just wish he'd stayed on Smackdown to feud with Christian. The Orton feud would be good if it wasn't for the fact that it's impossible to get behind Orton as a face. I know he gets good reaction but come on. Why would you ever be behind Orton in a match? Guys a dick.
    Or how about kayfabe, Tommy?

In kayfabe terms, Edge is in control of his own destiny. The analogy works because it is logical. Try again.

How are you the same person who is saying Edge is a face and then saying it's impossible to get behind Orton as a face? Wouldn't your own 'if WWE wants him to be, he is' logic apply here as well? Guy's a dick? Why does that matter to you all of a sudden? When Edge was a neurotic, vengeful, self-serving psychopath, you didn't seem to care about what kind of person the character was, all that mattered was what the WWE wanted him to be.

Regardless, they were both tweener for a while there, and Orton still is tweener. He's an anti-hero like Steve Austin. You get behind him because you want to be him. He attacks who he wants, when he wants, with no discrimination toward alignment or affiliation. Question: have they done Sheamus vs. Edge yet? Maybe I missed it... just wondering.
    Last edited by The Natural; 05-01-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Tommy Got Hacked

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Red View Post
    Edge was a face, and Orton is a face. WWE is looking for cheers for Orton just as they were looking for cheers for Edge. However, Edge was easier to get behind than Orton and seemed more of a nice guy. Simple.
    Maybe the analogy is still lost on you...

A character is not a face or a heel just because the company *wants* them to be. A character is a face or a heel defined by their speech and actions. Cheers do not dictate character alignment. My group and the group behind me cheered Jericho, Batista, and CM Punk at Wrestlemania 26. That does not make them face characters. Steve Austin got cheers like no other. He was not a face character. *sigh*

I don't know how to make it any more clear. If an author wants his character to be a good guy, he makes the character do good things. The good things that character does is what makes the character a good guy, not simply that the author wants it to be so. This is how characters work. The very definition of character supports this: The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another. SIMPLE.

Edit: Whatever. Why am I arguing about the merits of character work with a fan of John Cena? Your simplification works for wrestling when it really was simply good versus evil but those days are behind us. It's 2010. Catch up.
    Last edited by The Natural; 05-01-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Tommy Got Hacked

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

They turned him back way too quickly. I mean just 3 months, come on. I really like heel Edge, but was actually looking forward to the freshness a face Edge could bring, provided WWE didn't come up with the lame, "lets push your finisher over and over and over again", crap.

He is back to what he has gotten down to a T though, so it should be pretty good.

Edge versus Orton will probably be a really good and hopefully lengthy feud.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

No.1 Jerichoholic

Status
      Country                    ir=Iran

I think Edge is way better as a heel.His short face run was not that much of a success.He didn't get big pops except Royal Rumble and he was even booed at Wrestlemania.He doesn't know how to be a good guy like Cena or Christian.He was bland on mic when he was face and all he got was the stupid " Spear Spear " thing.

I also believe he is a little stale as a heel.So i think they better make his heel character different this time.He doesn't need to be Ultimate Opportunist agian.He can use other heel tactics this time.Hope so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information