Thread: The effect of the "WHAT?" chant.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

In Your House The effect of the "WHAT?" chant.

Some of you would say the same about me but I think we can all agree the "WHAT?" chant has overstayed it's welcome. For all the good Stone Cold Steve Austin did, this is probably one of the worst detriments to the WWE today. No matter how mind numbingly annoying a TNA crowd chanting "This is Awesome" at something sub par (or any of their other chants) can be, nothing comes close to the fans saying "WHAT?" at every opportunity.

But it's not just annoying to the fans, it's obviously annoying to the wrestlers as well. So much so that they've developed a thick skin to help them ignore the chant. Problem being: it's made their promos in the ring come off as rehearsed/contrived. No longer can the wrestler weigh the crowd's reaction into his delivery, now it's just ignore them, say a line, ignore them, say a line and it makes the wrestler appear as though they're reading off a teleprompter, recorded far and away, rather than inside of the ring speaking to an audience.

I've noticed this before but it was apparent in Sheamus' promo during the Draft before he was interrupted by Randy Orton. I like to think he's capable of cutting a good promo but instead of connecting with the audience as a heel, it sounds like he's just talking and reassuring himself because of the "WHAT?" chant. Gauging and engaging the audience is public speaking 101. Unfortunately, it's been thrown out the window it seems.

Have you noticed that it's made most promos sound contrived? Any that stand out in particular? Any wrestlers that are seemingly unaffected by it or have gotten use to it? Any you've noticed that can't? And is there a worse chant out there than "WHAT?"

I was out of the wrestling loop for a long period of time. Fortunately fans didn't forget this wonderful chant.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Billy Bitchcakes

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: The effect of the "WHAT?" chant.

It wasn't that funny when Austin was doing it, and it sure as hell ain't funny now. Some people say that wrestlers don't cut as good as promos as they used to, this is why.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Completely agree. It's absolutely ridiculous. The only time it should ever be used is for Stone Cold...and even then, only briefly. It's funny when Stone Cold gets going listing things when the crowd starts yelling what...but only for a minute.

How any people can still think this chant is amusing absolutely boggles the mind.

Let the performers perform. Play a part in the performance, but don't try to ruin it. If you don't like a wrestler, give him no reaction. Let the WHAT chant go. It's on the same level as repeating something another person is saying to annoy them.....and I thought that was idiotic when I was about 6 years old.

I really wish some of the wrestlers would come prepared and lay in to the crowd. Vince was fairly decent one night....but I mean be ready for it. Have a few lines ready to go and insult the intelligence, the city, the creativity of the chant, the looks of the women.....I mean really lay into them. Shut them up and draw major heat. That's what I would love to see happen.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Clifton View Post
    I really wish some of the wrestlers would come prepared and lay in to the crowd. Vince was fairly decent one night....but I mean be ready for it. Have a few lines ready to go and insult the intelligence, the city, the creativity of the chant, the looks of the women.....I mean really lay into them. Shut them up and draw major heat. That's what I would love to see happen.
    I know what you're talking about. I don't remember exactly what he said but he was quick and harsh. Good stuff. Problem is, most of them would be too arrogant to just shut up. They would just "what, what, what" until the person stopped speaking entirely. I would love if a character like Drew McIntyre (or even Sheamus would work) did a promo and when if they said "WHAT?" he just sat there and claimed, "I'm going to finish what I'm trying to say without you saying what, and that's a guarantee." And just sat there going over and over again until they shut the hell up. (Preferably on Smackdown so they could edit out the riff-raff. Audiences at home shouldn't be punished for stupid crowds.)

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    us=United States

&fs=1" width="425" height="329">&fs=1" />">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
    Last edited by CuttingEDGE; 04-28-2010 at 07:54 PM.

The Franchise is Back!!!

Status
      Country                    United States

rolflmao omg Undertaker is the man. But yea the What chants do get annoying if done too much

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

it's been almost a fucking decade...let it go...I have always thought it was annoying and it just shows that some fans are re re's

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    And is there a worse chant out there than "WHAT?".
    Yeah Whats-up? I hate it. I just hope it doesn't stick around like the Austin chant.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keaven Angel View Post
    Yeah Whats-up? I hate it. I just hope it doesn't stick around like the Austin chant.
    At least that's provoked by a wrestler who wants to hear that in response.

Stud Muffin

Status

I think its a huge disrespect to the wrestlers trying to cut a promo. Fucking hate most inbreed wrestling fans.

No offense Ken.

Yeezy Taught Me

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keaven Angel View Post
    I wouldn't categorize that as a chant. Truth mostly uses that in his theme song, and probably once during his match if he's dominating in the early going. Other then that, the crowd doesn't chant it if he's nowhere to be found.

Thread Information