Thread: My Smackdown House Show Review/Experience

Rick

Status
    The Derek Zoolander center for kids who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too

My Smackdown House Show Review/Experience

So last night I went to the Smackdown House Show in Manchester, and I just wanted to report my opinions and experiences from quite possibly the best wrestling experience of my life thus so far. The main blight was forgetting my digital camera, which resulted in using a crappy mobile phone to take videos/pictures. My brother and I bought our tickets on Ebay, and though we paid double their original price, the seats where beyond worth it.

Anyway, here's my run-down: The first match of the night was R-Truth/Ziggler. The crowd was hot for Truth, he came out to his regular entrance, slapped my hand, and warmed up the crowd. Following this, Ziggler entered the arena to an extensive measure of boo's, and there was oodles of stalling and taunting coming from him at the beginning which culminated in several 'You suck' chants. As the match got underway, the fans became really riled up, needless to say the outcome was solid, and Truth picked up the win. It was a great choice of opener for the show, and just to get an idea of how much the fans loved Truth, here's a video of a part of his entrance (for the record, the girl shouting wasn't me, but another chick stood behind us).

The next match was Beth Phoenix vs Layla, I figured it would be a squash match, however Layla got in a considerable amount of offense. While it was good, there appeared to be some sloppiness from Beth, but as the match got going, she sharpened up, and proceeded hit Layla with the Glamslam (which almost the entire arena marked out for) and took the win. During the match, there were a few 'We want Mickie' and 'We want Wrestling' chants, mostly originating from our section. Beth got a standard face reaction, though remained with her cocky character as the match got underway, she was doing press-ups, lifting Layla up and impelling her across the ring, it was fun to watch, and she's honestly not as masculine in real life as we're led to believe, though the guy behind me shouting Layla shouldn't be wrestling men begged to differ.

The third match of the night was The Hart Dynasty w/ Natalya vs The Dude Busters. Barreta and Croft cut a hilarious promo and the crowd responded with a colossal 'Who are you' chant. The Hart Dynasty surfaced to a huge pop, and as the match got started the spunky Natalya induced the crowd, something she managed to do consistently do for the next 10/15 minutes (she's absolutely tiny in person). Tyson Kidd accidentally botched a move along the ring ropes, but promptly cleaned it up, and both him and Smith went on to defeat The Dude Busters with the Springboard Hart Attack. Afterwards Trent Barreta came past and yelled something at me because I was clapping. His douchebag character's great, him and Croft played exceptional heels in the match and easily managed in vexing in the crowd.

Following that we had Finlay vs Luke Gallows. The crowd didn't seem to take to this, but the fans picked up once Punk ran in and attacked Finlay, only to be stopped by Mysterio who made the save. Finlay won the match courtesy of his his shillelagh. Serena I think had a wardrobe malfunction amid the match, while Gallows cut a promo at the start, hailing Punk and ridiculing the not-so-straight-edge crowd.

The Fifth match of the evening was Shad/Kane. Shad cut a promo insulting Manchester City and Manchester United, then Kane whom apparently has a following here came out to a surprisingly loud pop. While it was a decent match, it wasn't the best bout on the card, but it didn't stop me or the fans enjoying the chokeslam on Shad, which inevitably gave Kane the win.

There was an intermission next, but then came Matt Hardy vs Drew McIntyre for the Intercontinental Title. Drew cut a promo, though a girl hurling abuse at him prevented me and several other people from hearing most of it; although I did succeed in catching Drew say something about John Terry's infidelities, and his parents taking him to Manchester on holiday, only for it to be chav central. Matt's entrance music hit, and he was mounted with one of the biggest pops of the night, the crowd adored him. He slapped my hand as he went past, and the 'Hardy' chants commenced almost immediately. Drew kept going in and out of the ring, and the fans behind us began shouting 'We want Wrestling'. Matt got on the mic and said something along the lines of 'Hey Drew you listening? These fans want wrestling', and the match began. Matt's selling was phenomenal, he made Drew look incredible, there was a spot or two outside the ring, and the crowd were begging for the Twist of Fate, only to be given the Future Shock instead. Drew retained. Hardy walked out of the ring thanks to the aid of some referee's, he got an applause from the crowd; everyone was some-what silent during Drew's offense, but became rapturous whenever Hardy looked to be getting something in, he was super-over here, it was honestly just unbelievable how much support he initially got.

The second to last match of the night was Punk/Rey. Words can't really describe how impressive this was. Punk came out with The Straight Edge Society to an immense reaction, some cheers, mostly boo's, he started chucking chairs into the ring, a few almost hitting the announcer and the ref. He cut his usual kind of promo, I was so starstruck from seeing him in person, so can't recall exactly what was said, but it was similar to the shtick he preaches regularly on Friday Night Smackdown. Rey then made his entrance, the crowd went ecstatic. My younger brother was holding a 'Rey's biggest fan' sign, and because we where situated at ringside, Rey came over, said something in Spanish and did the little head thing - I also touched Mysterio's arm/mask, which was kinda sweaty, but awesome at the same time. As Rey was on the turnbuckle (still making his entrance), Punk grabbed some signs these kids next to us where holding and ripped them to shreds right in front of their very eyes, he started laughing and gave the 'We've Cenanuf' back to them (still intact), which was hilarious. What happened next was probably one of the best moments of the night. I bought a 'Pepsi Plunge' sign with me, and as Punk was walking around outside the ring during Rey's entrance, I held my sign over the barrier and he stopped for about five seconds right in front of it, he must have got the ROH reference because after reading it, he looked me in the eye and nodded - which was amazing considering he's a heel, and had just destroyed about four signs belonging to other people. The match itself was similar to their Wrestlemania bout, but longer, and better, (not that their WM clash was bad at all). Both men were astonishing, pulling out all the stops, and in my eyes it completely stole the show. Mysterio surprised me by deviating from his usual formula, and seeing Punk use Welcome to Chicago live was magnificent. The crowd was 80/20, most of them chanting 619, which Rey eventually executed, followed by an immaculate Frog Splash. Rey ran up the entrance ramp and started celebrating, while Punk displayed his anger by kicking the steel steps around. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of this match, I was too into it, but my brother took one or two with my phone on his way to and from the refreshment place.

Finally, it was the main event. We had Edge vs Swagger vs Jericho - with Bret Hart as the special enforcer for the World Title. Before the superstars came out, the referee came past and started laughing at my 'Christ Jericho' sign (the T was a crucifix btw). Swagger came out to a mass amount of heat, then Bret came out to an arena full of screaming fans, seeing him in person was surreal, I'd be lying if I said I was a huge fan of his, but his aura was genuinely staggering. Jericho came out to an exuberant amount of heat. He cut a promo declaring that Bret Hart may have been the best there was, the best there is, the best there ever will be, but he was the best in the world. That was then followed by Edge entering the ring and provoking the roof of the arena to blow off, everyone went crazy for him. The match started, and Jericho and Edge were shockingly good here, while Swagger just couldn't keep up with them performance wise. That said, he was still okay, but Edge and Jericho put on a match better than a majority of the stuff we've seen from them on TV this year. Jericho put the walls on Edge, then Swagger, he went to get a chair but Bret pulled it away, so Jericho decided to beat the living shit out of Bret. After he completed his assault on the Hitman, Jericho turned around, only to be speared by Edge, but Swagger threw Edge out of the ring and swindled the win. Saying the crowd was pissed would be an understatement.

After the match, Jericho left the ring, and Edge speared Swagger (which the crowd went nuts for), perusing that, Bret also applied the Sharpshooter on him, and the roof of the arena blew off yet again. Edge and Bret then started celebrating in the ring, and also did some weird happy dance, which I regret not filming. Edge came to the fans at ringside, shook their hands and thanked them. He came over to us, shook my hand and then my brother's; there were heaps of people pushing behind us by this point, but luckily I already had my programme and marker in hand, so as Edge gave me the best handshake ever, I asked for an autograph, and he signed it without any reluctance. I think I was one of the few, if not the only person to get something signed by him because nobody else thought to bring any pens/paper with them. I just loved his attitude and willingness to do it, despite just having an almost 30 minute match, and appearing to be really tired. Then Bret came over, he was talking to people, taking photos, he even shook my hand, as I smiled and said "Thanks Bret". He smiled back at me, repeatedly nodded his head and said "Thank-you" back. I honestly felt like I was dreaming. Bret was lovely to the fans, but for some reason he couldn't sign autographs, he seemed to want to, but apologised and said he wasn't allowed whenever people asked.

In a nut-shell, the whole evening was perfect from start to finish. I've been to both a live show, and now a house show, and the house show knocked the live one out of the water, not just in terms of wrestling, but wrestler/fan interaction too.There where hundreds of kids at the show, which despite being expected, was incredibly irritating because they were shouting loudly during promos, running around in front of people and standing on seats whilst you were trying to watch. While it didn't ruin the experience, and I understand they were just excited to be there, you really could have done without it because it was somewhat distracting. Regardless, the show was outstanding. I just presumed there would just be several mediocre matches, but instead I was given a stellar set of bouts, along with abuse from Barreta, Punk acknowledging my 'Pepsi Plunge' sign, Edge's autograph, an encounter with Bret Hart, and so much more. I hope they hit us up again in the future with a House Show, I'd definitely take up another, and I'd recommend anyone who hasn't been to one already, to do the same.
    Last edited by Roxy; 04-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Tommy Got Hacked

Re: My Smackdown House Show Review/Experience

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Great stuff.
    My brother and I bought our tickets on Ebay, and though we paid double their original price, the seats where beyond worth it
    I can attest to this. Both times I've been to a house show, I got the tickets off eBay, and have had awesome seats, 4 rows from ringside, with the second time being right next to the entrance aisle.

A question: Did Truth's offense look any good that close, cause when I saw him, his offense looked really bad that close to the ring.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Sounds like an awesome show. I love house shows. Heels are being gritty and the aura feels a bit more personal and unexposed.

And from the sound of it, I wish I went to this one.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Rick

Status
    The Derek Zoolander center for kids who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Red View Post
    Sounds like a great show. I'd love to go to a house show but I don't really have anybody to go with. I've only been to one show and that was a Raw. Sounds really cool the way the wrestlers interact with you more etc.

Also those are some pretty great seats.
    Even though I went with my brother, there was a plethora of fans who shared my love of wrestling, so talking with people who you didn't know was effortless, it made for a great time in general. And as sad as it sounds, going to a show on my own wouldn't trouble me, there are plenty of folks there to share the experience with. It just so happened that the tickets we bought came in a two. Although being with someone you know who enjoys the show is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
    A question: Did Truth's offense look any good that close, cause when I saw him, his offense looked really bad that close to the ring.
    As far as I could see there was nothing Truth did carelessly or awkwardly, both him and Ziggler produced some sharp, solid offense - don't quote me on that though, for some of the match I was fiddling with my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Quincy Talent View Post
    Sounds like an awesome show. I love house shows. Heels are being gritty and the aura feels a bit more personal and unexposed.

And from the sound of it, I wish I went to this one.
    I felt like Michael Jordan when he was in Space Jam with the loony toons. That probably doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, but it was great.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Oh, no I totally get it. You were surrounded by a bunch of cartoon characters who tried to play basketball but a wrestling event was taking place.

I'm not stupid

-------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

This is me being completely jealous of you...

Sounds like you had a great time. I want photo's of these awesome signs though. Signs are awesome. :D

Sweet Meat

Status

Like Raiz, jealousy is coming over me right now haha.

But still, sounds awesome. Punk is God.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Scumbag Role Model

Status

'Christ Jericho' is clever. Might be my third favorite sign ever.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Sounds like a hell of a show. If you can you need to go to a TNA house show I've been to 2 and they have been great.

Thread Information