Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Days Of Long Title Reigns Now Over?

Tommy Got Hacked

Days Of Long Title Reigns Now Over?

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Status

Re: Days Of Long Title Reigns Now Over?

I would be shocked to see a primary title reign go for six months at this point, let along close to a year.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Tommy Got Hacked

Sweet Meat

Status

Let's be honest though, since 1995 how many reigns have lasted almost a year? Cena's, JBL's, and uh.. drawing blanks. That's because that's it methinks.

Orton's was fairly long but not that long.

I don't think it's dead, I think it'll be a little bit before we get one though. When the title changes stop drawing WWE will go back to giving one long reign and then start the swapping again to keep it fresh.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Tommy Got Hacked

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

It's only the World Titles that change on the regular nowadays. The undercard belts seem to change hands a hell of a lot less.

Tommy Got Hacked

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

I suppose that's a way you can look at it. The World Titles are pretty much guaranteed to be defended monthly, so have more chance of changing hands.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
    It's only the World Titles that change on the regular nowadays. The undercard belts seem to change hands a hell of a lot less.
    I think it comes down to the reason behind the constant changes of the main titles. I think its just good old fashioned hot-shotting, done for the pop of the title change. If that's the case, and the secondary titles are unlikely to generate the same kind of reaction from the fans, so its not done as often.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Sweet Meat

Status

I support some hot shotting, if it works properly. If it gets guys more over, or if it shows the evenness of two guys, or to get the feud to a new level/last longer. But it needs to be done a bit less.

Defend the mid card titles more. Or give a mid card title back to someone like Rey who defended it frequently and made it seem like a big deal.

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I guess the one good thing that could come out of this is when someone does have a long reign again it will feel special

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KenTheKiller View Post
    I support some hot shotting, if it works properly. If it gets guys more over, or if it shows the evenness of two guys, or to get the feud to a new level/last longer. But it needs to be done a bit less.

Defend the mid card titles more. Or give a mid card title back to someone like Rey who defended it frequently and made it seem like a big deal.
    Done of the right reasons, hot-shotting is fine. But as you say, it should be occasional. An exception, not the norm.

I agree about the midcard titles not getting defended much, which is another part of the reason they don't move around as much.

Personally, I would love to see the world titles have reigns that were normally in the 3-6 month range. Not overly long so they get boring, but long enough that you can actually establish a storyline of the reign (not just the champion in storylines). It also makes the occasional hot-shot quick change an actual surprise and meaningful.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Sweet Meat

Status

I can agree with that.

And as I said, even though people bitch about established guys holding mid card titles, I think it'd help things. If you have the two world titles, a top guy holding a mid card title, and the tag titles, then you have four key belts. Meaning you can do a title change per PPV, but still have 3/4 month reigns.

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

The last long title reign (and suprisingly good one) I remember was HHH from April 2008 to Nov 2008.

I hate their world title hot potato. You have two world titles that already someone take away from the overall legit feel, and it doesn't help when those reigns are overwhelmingly short and won in the fashions of constant weasel and cowardly manner.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Tommy Got Hacked

On Vacation

Status

I like quick title reigns if they arent too consistant and too quick, and there are still longer reigns between the titles. I just think some sort of middle ground must be established, or you start getting title hot shotting that doesnt mean shit. But, new champs make it fresh imo, but new champs too consistantly ruin the point.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

That three match thing didn't happen during that reign >.>

But that reign on Smackdown did help reveal a lot of new wave and potential main eventer/world champions (Hardy, Kendrick, MVP, Kozlov, etc)
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Tommy Got Hacked

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Well, sometimes you have to say 'enough is enough' with the constant passing of these titles. They're trying to build too many people at once and lassingthe title around really doesn't do the main event prestige any justice.

I can get short, believable reigns to help establish a future headliner (Punk in 08, Sheamus last winter). But when you have juggernauts and draws becoming eight time world champions in the course of three years? It doesn't really put me in the place to view these guys at credible champions.
    -------
    Spoiler:

I wouldn't say the days are gone, they've just been thinned out a lot in the past decade. What were the long title reigns of the 2000's thus far? The only ones I can think of were:

Triple H (Armageddon 2002 - Unforgiven 2003) = 9 months
    JBL (Great American Bash 2004 - Wrestlemania 21) = 8 months
    Batista (Wrestlemania 21 - SD Jan 2006) = 10 months
    John Cena (Wrestlemania 21 - New Years Revolution 2006) = 10 months
    John Cena (Unforgiven 2006 - Raw Oct 2007) = 13 months

With weekly shows and a PPV every three weeks, it just isn't feasible to have long champions. If you look at all of the above title reigns, the only one that I haven't really heard any negative talk about the champion being champion for too long was Batista's. I'd love for the WWE to at least give out 4 or so month reigns for everyone, but right now they seem uncertain who they want as the top champion. You have the core three (Hunter, Orton and Cena) who Vince feels needs to have a title every once in awhile otherwise it hurts them. The usual suspects (Taker, Edge, Jericho, Punk and Batista) for ones who are given titles because they could potentially be good champions. Then you have ones like Jack Swagger, Jeff Hardy and The Great Khali where they're testing the waters to see if they could be good. With eight people having to have the titles, long title reigns just aren't possible.

Thread Information