Thread: What Makes Orton A Face?

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

What Makes Orton A Face?

I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the guy's skill in the ring. He's an outstanding wrestler. I just don't understand the sudden face reaction he is getting.

He didn't change anything. He's still the same guy he was a few months ago when they were trumpeting him as one of the all time villains of the WWE. He doesn't have the charismatic mic skills of Stone Cold or The Rock or even Edge when Edge was a top heel drawing major heat...what happened?

He wasn't suddenly being nice to Legacy. He was completely using them right until they dissolved as a unit. He didn't suddenly have a redeeming character change, Legacy just got tired of being abused.

I know that guys can just get crowd reactions out of respect, but Randy is still portraying the same heel character. He doesn't play to the crowd at all or do anything that merits a sympathetic reaction. Why don't they at least change his character a bit?

I like Randy Orton, especially as a heel. I just don't understand why he's suddenly a face.

Think Your Greezy?

Status
      Country                    gb=Great Britain

Re: What Makes Orton A Face?

He's being booked as a more audience friendly guy. Albeit still a jackass.

He was getting stale as a heel. RAW needs a new number 1 heel. Choices were move Orton to Smackdown let him go face or change his character.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

He's more or less the same character he's always been just that instead of booing him the fans started cheering him and when that kept on happening they stopped making him face faces and instead start facing heels and push him as a kind of Austin/Taker face. It was pretty stupid booking as to how he became a face but oh well it's working so they might S well run with it. Continually pushing him as a heel when he just gets more cheers would of been pointless in the end.

Vengeance With a Smile

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Yeah, he kind of fell into the roll of a face, I doubt the creative planned for that to happen...it was really because of the fans. I like the way they handled his first face feud, having Legacy be the dicks, and having Orton keep his mouth shut and just wrestle. Like CGS said, it would have been pointless to keep him as heel if the fans were just going to cheer him every night.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Alpert View Post
    Yeah, he kind of fell into the roll of a face, I doubt the creative planned for that to happen...it was really because of the fans. I like the way they handled his first face feud, having Legacy be the dicks, and having Orton keep his mouth shut and just wrestle. Like CGS said, it would have been pointless to keep him as heel if the fans were just going to cheer him every night.
    Assuming that Orton vs DiBiase vs Rhodes was planned for awhile pre-WM, then I would say the face turn likely was planned. They made no attempt to turn either of the Legacy duo, and someone had to have the face role in that match.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

I can understand the reaction. The crowd like the guy. He's established there.

However, I can't understand HOW they turned him face in storyline? Just because he beat on two other heels? I guess.

I just wish they would put more depth on it. For example, when Cena is tagging with him the week before, Cena (the man whose father was punted to "death" by this guy and has been feuding with him forever) just accepts it. I just want more depth. Have Cena approach him in the changing rooms and have them thrash things out a bit. Not just....oh hey you're a face now, let's team
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

Oh, Lordy

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I would half agree on the fact of how well received Orton is by the fans recently and the pre-planned Legacy vs. Orton triple threat match at WrestleMania XXVI. It was like they were willing to go through the storyline (and well before Mania he was getting big pops) and if he gets more over, then they'll intentionally push the "badass" persona. If he doesn't, well I guess they'll keep him as a heel?

In any case, I hate the "Viper" thing Orton has going on. Don't get me wrong I love being associated with him via username >_> but I have huge eye rolling moments whenever he slides his tongue over his lips or when he twists his neck and head like a snake. It's just a bit over the top for my liking (and I love Kaiju Big Battel).

Established Veteran

Status

Because Fans cheer for him against other heels and some lower Face guys. He is loved by the crowd even though he still kinda has the Heel persona.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

His heel persona is why people love him and choose to cheer him, if he changed into a proper babyface sucking up too the crowd he wouldn't get as much love, similar to what Stone Cold experienced although not to that extent. Only difference is having him fued with heels, his character is basically the same which is how it should be.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Clifton View Post
    I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the guy's skill in the ring. He's an outstanding wrestler. I just don't understand the sudden face reaction he is getting.

He didn't change anything. He's still the same guy he was a few months ago when they were trumpeting him as one of the all time villains of the WWE. He doesn't have the charismatic mic skills of Stone Cold or The Rock or even Edge when Edge was a top heel drawing major heat...what happened?

He wasn't suddenly being nice to Legacy. He was completely using them right until they dissolved as a unit. He didn't suddenly have a redeeming character change, Legacy just got tired of being abused.

I know that guys can just get crowd reactions out of respect, but Randy is still portraying the same heel character. He doesn't play to the crowd at all or do anything that merits a sympathetic reaction. Why don't they at least change his character a bit?

I like Randy Orton, especially as a heel. I just don't understand why he's suddenly a face.
    Dumb fans that are bleeding out for an Austin like face they can cheer for. The fans want assholes to cheer for.

I don't think randy Orton is that good at all, I think fans mark out for a guy with a Stunner like finisher.
    Last edited by DaRealHeadlinR; 04-11-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by DaRealHeadlinR View Post
    Dumb fans that are bleeding out for an Austin like face they can cheer for. The fans want assholes to cheer for.

I don't think randy Orton is that good at all, I thin fans mark out for a guy with a Stunner like finisher.
    Not another person who doesn't get the Ace Crusher origins.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by N. Quincy Talent View Post
    I don't remember what thread it was but SelfHighFive accused Orton off stealing DDP's Cutter and I reminded him of the Ace Crusher origins.

None of that matters in the end as Orton utilizes a variation of the Ace Crusher in which he jumps in the air to catch his opponent before driving them into the mat. It's just ridiculous to keep bringing up the RKO as a reason not to like Orton.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by N. Quincy Talent View Post
    I've heard that. It really doesn't matter. It's the Ace Crusher, it's the Diamond Cutter, it has a Stunner like look to it, it doesn't really matter whose move it is or who uses it. Fact is WWE allows him to pretty much hit it on anyone and everyone and that's the real reason why he's over. Fans view him as a badass, because that's how he was booked since his legend killer days. In the ring he looks like a guy who snaps and turns ape shit. That's why fans are loving him off. Half the crowd hate Cena so they love the guy who he has the biggest Kayfabe beef, feud, history with. Orton. He is the anti-Cena's choice atm. Bring a guy in like Goldberg, in 1 night, 1 spear, 1 jackhammer and a booked squash and I wonder if fans would be hot on Orton's nuts still.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

He's an anti-hero, and he's likable because he's a.) doing whatever he wants and b.) getting even every chance he gets. That's essentially what all of us would like in our own lives, so it's something we can relate to. Nevermind that he's a complete badass. He punts people in the head and RKO's whoever he pleases. Not unlike Austin, I agree, but taken to a different level. Not better or worse, just different. But really, were you expecting fans not to like the Viper sooner or later for behaving like the Rattlesnake?

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Red View Post
    Why do you always bring up the "fans only love him because of how he is booked" argument.

That is true of every superstar in wrestling history...

That's why bookers get paid.
    No doubt about that.

Orton is getting cheered because he is popular, both as face and heel, and has been for a very long time, but is also getting cheered because he is a different kind of face. You have Cena who follows the rules to a T. Then you have Orton who doesn't exactly play by the rules, making it fresh and different,
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Thread Information