Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider John Cena a WWE Legend now?

Oh, Lordy

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Would you consider John Cena a WWE Legend now?

He's been in the company for about 8 years now (being brought up from OVW in 2002). Does anyone here at least remotely consider him as a WWE Legend.

I mean, 8 years after The Rock debuted as he was already considered a WWE Legend in 2004.

I was just wondering and would like some opinions on the matter.

The Franchise is Back!!!

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Would you consider John Cena a WWE Legend now?

Well hes done everything and beaten everyone atleast once except Taker. So yea he should defiantly be a WWE legend

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

He is definatley a legend anyone that becomes the face of the WWE for as long as he has deserves to the title.....*waits for Scott Hall to come into thread*

On Vacation

Status

Not yet. He undoubtedly will be but I dont think hes been at the top for long enough yet. I know the Rock was only around 8 years but to be fair he is no Rock.

Sweet Meat

Status

Oh yeah. He's a legend. I mean, it's too early for WWE to pull the legend card and call him it, but he's definitely a legend. If he left today he'd be in the HOF and would be regarded as a legend.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

Absolutely. He is the best worker in the world today, and is the hardest worker in the WWE. It seems like he is able to put on great matches with nearly anyone. He's done an absolute shitload for the WWE in terms of marketing and merchandise and all that other important stuff. For close to six of his eight years, he's put bums in seats. And he still has years left in him.

AWESOM-O

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KenTheKiller View Post
    Oh yeah. He's a legend. I mean, it's too early for WWE to pull the legend card and call him it, but he's definitely a legend. If he left today he'd be in the HOF and would be regarded as a legend.
    I think thats more what I meant. I just dont want to hear him referred to as a legend yet. On a different note, I really like your new Lady GaGa sig and avy Ken.

Oh, Lordy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
    Absolutely. He is the best worker in the world today, and is the hardest worker in the WWE. It seems like he is able to put on great matches with nearly anyone. He's done an absolute shitload for the WWE in terms of marketing and merchandise and all that other important stuff. For close to six of his eight years, he's put bums in seats. And he still has years left in him.
    I respect your opinion, but idk about him being able to put on great matches with nearly anyone. Granted he puts on average to great matches with most people (ie. Jack Swagger, Big Show, Sheamus, Randy Orton, Edge, etc.) but sometimes he's pretty much carried or at least pushed to greater heights like in John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels, John Cena vs. Umaga, John Cena vs. CM Punk, and even against Triple H.

Vengeance With a Smile

Status

He has all the credentials to be a legend. I'm not going to say he's a "Legend" yet, because he needs more time, and that's all really. Once more time passes, he will be a legend.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Booty View Post
    He is definatley a legend anyone that becomes the face of the WWE for as long as he has deserves to the title.....*waits for Scott Hall to come into thread*
    John Cena is a horrendous excuse for a WWE competitor and not worthy of the TV time he's given let alone the title of legend. Is that what you had in mind? lol

Superhero Sellout

Status

Please don't suggest to me UMAGA carried JOHN CENA to a great Last Man Standing Match. Plus he had a great match with Batista at Wrestlemania, and a couple of his matches with Orton in 07 were pretty great as well. It takes two people to make a great match, and Shawn, Hunter and those guys didn't do any carrying whatsoever. Cena is an outstanding worker in his own right who is willing and able to step it up when the time is right. In fact, he hasn't had a poor match on a big stage.

AWESOM-O

Heel Champion

Status

Yeah, he's been the companies biggest face/star in a long time. Main eventing numerous PPVs, selling merchandise, etc. pretty much seals him as a legend. But I just don't quite feel comfortable calling him a legend just yet, maybe after a few more years.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

No, he's not a legend yet, he's still in his prime. The Rock's career was obviously winding down in 2004, hence the legend card was played, Triple H isn't considered a legend, because his career has yet to hit that winding down phase as well. Undertaker's been a legend because his career is just taking a long time to wind down, but we know it's coming. Is John 30 yet? Wait til he's got 8 more years under his belt and is winding down, then we'll call him a legend.

tl;dr He's not a legend because he's too young in his career and still has many years left.

Oh, Lordy

Status

Please don't suggest to me UMAGA carried JOHN CENA to a great Last Man Standing Match. Plus he had a great match with Batista at Wrestlemania, and a couple of his matches with Orton in 07 were pretty great as well. It takes two people to make a great match, and Shawn, Hunter and those guys didn't do any carrying whatsoever. Cena is an outstanding worker in his own right who is willing and able to step it up when the time is right. In fact, he hasn't had a poor match on a big stage.
    Well I did say "sometimes he's pretty much carried or at least pushed to greater heights". So did Umaga carry Cena in that match? No, not in my opinion and apparently not yours either however did he put on a surprisingly fantastic match against Umaga. Damn right he did.

I agree with you saying that it takes two people to make a truly fantastic bout but I honestly disagree with you saying that HBK and Triple H didn't outperform John Cena in their matches. John Cena wrestles a very blunt and systematic series of matches in which he has time to do his own thing but soon he ends up doing spots and stringing together his trademark moves. In matches against HBK (especially the RAW one) he had enough time to develop the match and innovate his moveset (I believe it was one of the first times he did the top rope leg drop) and it ended up being a great match.

Status

Almost any way you measure it - kayfabe or "real world" - I would have to say yes.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Superhero Sellout

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Viper619 View Post
    Well I did say "sometimes he's pretty much carried or at least pushed to greater heights". So did Umaga carry Cena in that match? No, not in my opinion and apparently not yours either however did he put on a surprisingly fantastic match against Umaga. Damn right he did.

I agree with you saying that it takes two people to make a truly fantastic bout but I honestly disagree with you saying that HBK and Triple H didn't outperform John Cena in their matches. John Cena wrestles a very blunt and systematic series of matches in which he has time to do his own thing but soon he ends up doing spots and stringing together his trademark moves. In matches against HBK (especially the RAW one) he had enough time to develop the match and innovate his moveset (I believe it was one of the first times he did the top rope leg drop) and it ended up being a great match.
    The way I kind of see it now is that I don't care how many moves Cena has. Not everyone can have expansive movesets that incorporate a bit for everyone. Obviously Cena isn't everyone's cup of tea. But he's a blunt and systematic worker as you put it because he's found something that works for him, and he's mastered it to perfection. He very rarely botches any of his moves, which I think is more impressive than having fifty thousand moves. Kofi Kingston, for example, has screwed up the Trouble In Paradise numerous time, but when was the last time Cena stuffed up the Attitude Adjustment? For me, seeing Cena tell a story in the ring with guys like Hunter and Shawn is much more impressive then doing move after move after move for the hell of it (John Morrison). It's the same thing with Sheamus as well. Not the most impressive and expansive of movesets, but he does it and he does it bloody well.

AWESOM-O

Oh, Lordy

Status

The way I kind of see it now is that I don't care how many moves Cena has. Not everyone can have expansive movesets that incorporate a bit for everyone. Obviously Cena isn't everyone's cup of tea. But he's a blunt and systematic worker as you put it because he's found something that works for him, and he's mastered it to perfection. He very rarely botches any of his moves, which I think is more impressive than having fifty thousand moves. Kofi Kingston, for example, has screwed up the Trouble In Paradise numerous time, but when was the last time Cena stuffed up the Attitude Adjustment? For me, seeing Cena tell a story in the ring with guys like Hunter and Shawn is much more impressive then doing move after move after move for the hell of it (John Morrison). It's the same thing with Sheamus as well. Not the most impressive and expansive of movesets, but he does it and he does it bloody well.
    Alright, now I can see where you're getting at. And I agree, Cena isn't a high flyer, he isn't a technical master, he's a brawler and a solid grappler and that's just him. Hate him or love him that's what he leaves in the ring. I also agree that he does produce solid to great matches using his style I mean he's bound to.

I don't know about botching the AA though lol I mean it isn't that tough to pull off (granted there's the whole weight thing but still). It'd be like botching a bulldog. Also, I can't really criticize Sheamus on his in ring work because he's still too raw and new for me to really get all analytical about.

Unless you've been in the business for a few decades, I wouldn't call you a legend if you're still active. Shawn Michaels was a legend before Wrestlemania, but he had four decades of being in the business. Once you step away from the ring, yet your name lives on for several years, you can possibly be a legend. You can probably consider The Rock a legend, however; I wouldn't have in 2003. Right now Cena is still current events. Unless you're talking about his rapper days, you're not really going to talk about Cena in the past tense as if that part of his career is over.

Legend? No. Legend in the making? Yes.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Yeah definately. He's the face of the company and he's been the main guy putting butts in the seats for 5 years. By the time his career ends he'll easily be one of the top 4 stars ever alongside Hogan, Austin and Rock.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

I guess, I missed most of his reign. Thank God. Good guy though.

Thread Information