Thread: Australian Grand Prix Discussion

Rising Above...

Status

Australian Grand Prix Discussion

Australian Grand Prix: Albert Park, Melbourne

In recent years this Grand Prix has usually hosted the first race of the season, so after last times borefest, hopefully the season can kick start back into action and provide us with some entertainment! Will Alonso pick up were he left off in Bharain, or will someone else come through to take the checkerd flag? Will Virgin F1 even have enough fuel to last until the end of the race? Find out this weekend!

Qualifying: 6:00am
    Race: 7:00am (UK Time)

Rising Above...

Status

Re: Australian Grand Prix Discussion

Qualifying was far too early for me to get up for, but as I am on early starts in work next week I will be up to watch the race live.

Here’s all the news from Saturdays qualifying session:

Quote Originally Posted by Formula1.com
    Red Bull annexed the front row of the starting grid for Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix, courtesy of poleman Sebastian Vettel and local hero Mark Webber. The German set the fastest time of the weekend on his first runs in Q3, with 1m 23.919s. Webber’s best was 1m 24.035s. Neither improved on their second runs.

Fernando Alonso put Ferrari a lot closer than they had been in Bahrain with third fastest time of 1m 24.111s, then there was a gap to Jenson Button’s second-run best of 1m 24.675s for McLaren. Felipe Massa challenged that for Ferrari on his second run, but came up short with 1m 24.837s for fifth.

Nico Rosberg once again out-qualified Mercedes partner Michael Schumacher, with 1m 24.884s, but the multiple champion was a lot closer than of late with 1m 24.927s. Rubens Barrichello put Williams eighth in the line-up with 1m 25.217s ahead of Robert Kubica for Renault with 1m 25.372s, while the faster Force India of Adrian Sutil completed the top 10 with 1m 26.036s.

The surprise of Q2 was Lewis Hamilton’s failure to get through to Q3. The Briton’s McLaren was clearly not au point when he lapped it in 1m 28.586s on his first run, and though he was able to get out towards the end, 1m 25.184s missed out on Q3 by 0.064s.

Behind the 2008 world champion, the times were incredibly close. Sebastien Buemi was 12th for Toro Rosso with 1m 25.638s ahead of Force India’s Vitantonio Liuzzi on 1m 25.743s, BMW Sauber’s Pedro de la Rosa on 1m 25.747s, Williams’ Nico Hulkenberg on 1m 25.748s and Kamui Kobayashi, who had a great catch as his BMW Sauber oversteered viciously through the final turn, on 1m 25.777s. Toro Rosso’s Jaime Alguersuari was 17th on 1m 26.089s.

Out in the first session went Renault’s Vitaly Petrov, whose 1m 26.471s left him 17th. Once again Heikki Kovalainen led the new teams, with 1m 28.797s for Lotus. Team mate Jarno Trulli backed him with 1m 29.111s, just ahead of Virgin’s Timo Glock on 1m 29.592s and his team mate Lucas Di Grassi on 1m 30.185s.

Both HRTs kept running and weren’t far off Virgin’s pace, with Bruno Senna taking 23rd ahead of Karun Chandhok, 1m 30.526s to 1m 30.613s.

Ole!

Status

I still can't see why this wasn't 1st on the F1 calendar.

I want Webber to win honestly, not fussed about Vettel.

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

Even with the rain this race was fairly boring. Not as boring as Bahrain, but next to no legitimate passing going on.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Rising Above...

Status

I thought it was rather an enjoyable Grand Prix this morning. Plenty of entertainment to keep me awake at such an early time on a Sunday morning. It was also nice to be back at a traditional Grand Prix circit. I always like them best.

I tip my hat to Jenson Button telling his team he wanted to come in early and not wait a few more laps for new tires. That decision, and a little bit of luck with Vettel going off secured him the win. He seems to be settling in rather well at McLaren, and I’m even more interested to see his on going battle with Lewis to see who’ll be the #1 driver of the team.

I lol’d when Hamilton threw a strop over the radio blasting his team for brining him in when he was behind Kubica. But he must have been well pissed off with Mark Webber. The home country hero had a disaster of a race – nothing went his way at all, infact nothing went in either of the Red Bulls favour today. They’ve impressed in qualifying this season so far, but when it comes to race time, they’ve flattered to deceive.

Results of the race:

1 Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes) 1:33:36.531
    2 Robert Kubica (Renault) +12.0 secs
    3 Felipe Massa (Ferrari) +14.4 secs
    4 Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) +16.3 secs
    5 Nico Rosberg (Mercedes GP) +16.6 secs
    6 Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) +29.8 secs
    7 Vitantonio Liuzzi (Force India-Mercedes) +59.8 secs
    8 Rubens Barrichello (Williams-Cosworth) +60.5 secs
    9 Mark Webber (RBR-Renault) +67.3 secs
    10 Michael Schumacher (Mercedes GP) +69.3 secs
    11 Jaime Alguersuari (STR-Ferrari) +71.3 secs