Thread: The overbooking of Michelle McCool

Rick

Status
    The Derek Zoolander center for kids who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too

The overbooking of Michelle McCool

This is going to be super long post, and for some/most, it probably isn't worth reading, (for the record, I am a McCool fan, always have been), but for god knows how long, the WWE has attempted to build Michelle as a great heel. They've given her pieces of history, they've fed Michelle opponents for her to devour, they've allowed her to attack other heels, in fact, they even granted her the honour of calling Mickie James a pig. My point? Michelle, despite constantly being handed opportunities such as this, hasn't established herself as a great heel, and can't hold herself a consistent reaction, or even a reaction at all. Sure, she has a great character, she's got a bitchy feel to her than would even make a high school cheer leader shake with fear, but the WWE have carried McCool as far as booking's concerned.

Since 2008, WWE have conveyed McCool with a list of accomplishments to decorate her career; first to hold the divas title, first to hold both the divas and the womens title, longest reigning holder of the womens championship since Trish Stratus, articles on WWE.com labelling her the best diva in history, need I go on? Just recently she gave Gail Kim and Mickie James their first losses of the year, she mowed down Melina during their feud in 2009 - leaving Melina with very little momentum. The WWE want McCool to be big, but it's not working, the thousands of fans (including myself) from the IWC isn't enough, why hand her all these accomplishments, feuds, storylines, if the fans aren't buying into her? WWE have done all they can do, Michelle is just lacking the charisma chromosome, as well the mass fan support she's in desperate need of.

Having McCool constantly repeat history isn't something I would make a big deal about, but several of the accomplishments she has been presented with, should only go to people who have managed to entertain the fans, and judging by the chair squeaks during her matches/entrance/promos, she hasn't done that - giving Michelle pieces history she can call her own just so that she can get over is trivial. Great heels (and faces) should be made through storylines, matches and charisma - McCool has had two of the three, it's not worked, instead they used honors as a tool in an attempt to get over, people aren't stupid - nobody liked Mickie James because she was the first woman to win the womens championship on their Wrestlemania debut, they liked her because of her charisma, storylines and matches, so do WWE plan on carrying on with the intention of getting McCool over by having her make history? Will all this over-booking of McCool eventually get her heat? Will the fans get sick of her and finally start to boo her? Is that the type of heat WWE would be happy with Michelle receiving? The heat would be from the way she has been booked, is that the kind of heat a "great" heel like Michelle should be getting? The WWE would finally have the reaction they wanted Michelle to acquire, but it'll be out of disgust, not out of being a great heel.

And sure, Michelle more recently is getting heat, though it was at the expense of Mickie James, and alas she got several "you suck" chants, but it didn't last long. Once Mickie was out of the picture, the crickets began to pop out again, and since then, Michelle has been feeding off Vickie Guerrero's rather steady reaction. What has Michelle done to deserve this? Is it the same thing she did to deserve the win over Natalya in 2008 so she could be the first woman to hold the divas championship? Is it the same thing she did to beat Melina and make history then too? What was it? She's improved in the ring, showed dedication to the company, I use it in my arguments for McCool a lot, but when you think about it, aren't there other woman in the company who have done the same thing who get a response from the fans, yet haven't been lucky enough to be as protected and booked immaculately like McCool?

How far are WWE willing to let this overbooking of McCool actually go? Until she gets a reaction that's good enough for them? Are they that desperate? How long until she finally gets to the "great" heel status WWE would like her to have? I could be over-analysing things, but the booking proves WWE want McCool to be a great heel, the booking Michelle is receiving makes Beth Phoenix's super push during 2007/8 look minuscule. I don't mind McCool getting matches, titles and storylines, but when it's not working, it's clear that that person is not a draw, so stop treating them like one. They want Michelle to connect with the fans, and it was crystal clear that during her face push they wanted that, and for over three years she hasn't been able to do it. She went over both Gail, Melina and Mickie prior their title matches, then went on to beat Mickie in her first title defense this year, can anybody really justify going over three faces, and killing their momentum? It's garbage. The heat she was getting recently was down to making a popular divas life a living hell, that's it. McCool isn't getting over, wins, accomplishments, do not make you entertaining. Michelle's been given the role of the top heel, does that mean we should praise her? Maybe, and maybe the fans will accept McCool as a heel over time, but it isn't happening now, it might not ever happen, and WWE will still push her as a great heel.

Finally, wrestling shouldn't just be about amplifying someone's legacy just so you can get them over, if you want to earn that legacy, you should have to entertain the fans - look at John Cena, love him or hate him, he brings in the results, he gets a consistent reaction, meanwhile the overbooking of Michelle McCool has not only left a sour taste in my mouth, but has left her failing to get over as a top heel. Take the most recent elaborate storyline for McCool, what happened? Mickie cried, Layla the minion did her annoying mocking act, everything was there for McCool to get over, but she still didn't get a good enough response, And now they've aligned her with Vickie in the hopes her reaction can rub off on Michelle. Why don't they just shove McCool down the fans throats even more, maybe then the audience will finally give the WWE boo's they have been craving since 2008.

All that being said, I could be wrong and I could be looking into things too much. Maybe Michelle (despite the lack of charisma) is the greatest heel diva of our time. I don't believe that though, does anyone else?

Tommy Got Hacked

Re: The overbooking of Michelle McCool

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Rick

Status
    The Derek Zoolander center for kids who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    Sorry to be a dick, but her looks clearly play a BIG part in her popularity. It's that, plus her charisma and the great debut angle she was given that nobody else has been lucky enough to get. When WWE actually PUT EFFORT IN for your debut angle, and you're a female, you are one lucky girl.

As for your main point here, I see what you mean. I think McCool is a great heel with a great character, and is really good on the mic and solid in the ring, but Katie Lea got more heat just for opening her mouth on Superstars than Michelle has all year, and yet Michelle is the one getting the huge heel push? It doesn't really make sense. Obviously no diva gets a huge reaction compared to the top guys, but there was proof that McCool's reactions aren't really very good despite being booked as the top heel and having all these perfect heat drawing opportunities thrown her way (Vickie, calling Mickie a pig, all her accomplishments and exposure). Meanwhile Katie Lea hardly even wins a match and has spent most of the last year accompanying her jobber brother to the ring, yet she draws more heat than Michelle as soon as she picks up a mic.

Nothing against McCool as she is doing her job well, but for whatever reason, it seems clear that people don't really care about her enough to give her good heat.
    Not going to argue with your first point, because you're 100% correct, and agreed, looks play a huge part in way a diva is over. Look at Kelly, Maria, Melina, even Maryse, a heel, gets pops because she's hot. My point is that people don't like you because of your accomplishments (something they've given McCool a lot of in such a short amount of time). Michelle's been given plenty of storylines herself and never gotten popular, the logic applies, maybe her storylines haven't been as elaborate/entertaining (as per-say Mickie/Trish), but she's not been able to secure herself even a small yet consistent reaction from them, which she should be able to do - Beth managed it, Melina managed it, even Katie managed it, all when they where given simple feuds/storylines, why can't McCool?

Taking your point on Katie - she already has the perfect package for a heel, why not utilize her and give McCool a depush? How about giving Natalya a chance too? Michelle's great at her job in terms of worth ethic/in-ring work, but not so great at getting a reaction, and it's impossible for me to wrap my head around why they keep pushing her, treating her as a draw, when it's clear the fans don't care enough about her to throw heat her way. There's no harm in making McCool what Melina was when she teamed with Beth during 2007/2008, and putting someone like Katie or Natalya in the top heel role instead. They're giving the fans over-kill of Michelle (she's even been on Raw these past two weeks going over/attacking faces which aren't on her brand), they'll get sick of it, and either boo because they're annoyed with seeing her all time, or just sit there in silence like they do already.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Do you think she would still be getting all these opportunities if she wasnt banging Taker?

Tommy Got Hacked

Rick

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dillberg View Post
    Do you think she would still be getting all these opportunities if she wasnt banging Taker?
    Probably not, I used to defend McCool vigorously over the Taker thing, mainly because the timing of her pushes was aligned with the time of improvement, but there's nothing you can use to justify the over-push she's currently receiving. She's even been the focus point on Raw these past two weeks, despite Maryse being the divas champion on that brand. Chances are, she wouldn't be where she's at if she was screwing someone like Funaki.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    Not sure why it is, but there are certain divas that WWE don't seem to want to push. I appreciate that only one can be a top heel at any one time, but as you said McCool has been the main focus for 2 years whereas Natalya and Katie have not had an opportunity to establish themselves. Obviously the Undertaker thing will always be a factor, or at least something which you believe could influence her push, but it's just overkill having her as the top heel this long without any real reactions. I appreciate that it's easier to get heat if you're from somewhere that isn't America and have an accent which makes this obvious, but Katie is probably a better overall package than McCool and could easily draw more heat in McCool's spot. I don't get why WWE have never given Katie a go, and instead just have her job to the damn Bellas all the time. She's good in the ring, has a unique look and character (rare in the WWE women's division), is good on the mic and isn't from America. Seems like the perfect heel diva to me. Natalya too is obviously a very capable wrestler and as she basically acts as the Hart Dynasty's personality (because the guys don't have any) it's clear that she has charisma and could excell in the role.

I have no idea why they have stuck with McCool for so long. Once again, she has improved a lot and seems to do a really good job, but when she isn't getting reactions, surely it's time to give somebody else a shot. Even if they eventually intend to use McCool as the top heel again, surely it can only be a good thing to freshen things up and give someone else a run for a change. Constant McCool for 2 years is boring and the fans will care less and less.
    Agreed w/ all of this. The WWE shouldn't be basing their division around just one woman, especially over a long period of time, when that woman clearly can't provoke a response from the audience. It's a waste of time, and lessens the already lacking interest in the division. McCool as said already, is a great in-ring worker, however she doesn't have the charisma to pull off being a top heel, depush her and have her work on that, and put somebody else in her place, even if it's just testing the water. Katie getting McCool's booking would probably make her one of the most hated women in the division in god knows how long, thus making storylines/matches far more interesting, especially when it's between two people the fans care about - popular face vs hated heel, in a womens division, it's what they need, and they're evidently not getting what they need from McCool, why stick with her? They've got other people to push, they've got other things McCool can do, what's stopping them? Michelle's the most over-booked woman since Trish Stratus, and for all we know, they could try to re-create her with McCool, it's likely they're not, but they're adamant on pushing her, one way or another.

Yooooo Mang

Status

how did I not know Taker was w/ McCool?

Tommy Got Hacked

Ratchet

Status
      Country                    United States

I was actually impressed with her and Gail kim going back and fourth in the diva tag match on Raw last night

So I agree she has the skills/Work Ethics whathaveyou but she does not have what it takes to be the top diva heel in the E'

Thread Information