Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

  1. #1
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    I'm prepared to get plenty of negative responses for this(be gentle:D). I have thought this for along time even way back when the WWE and even WCW started making a second two hour show. Wrestling is about making things feel big and interesting. And with two big shows Smackdown and Raw wrestling is overexposed and therefore championship belts have less meaning and with even other smaller wrestling shows on such as ecw(although it is gone) and Superstars their is too much wrestling on TV. IMO, there should only be two to three hours of WWE wrestling on a week. The two hours would be Raw with all the main stars on it and then maybe a second show for only an hour but this show should not be pushed as being as big as Raw. And should be changed to a different day and name changed from Smackdown. I know that they use Smackdown for building young stars but they could do that too on the one hour show. And maybe as a business they make more money by having the two big shows but still sometimes less is more. quality vs. quantity
    Last edited by 96-99; 03-23-2010 at 06:14 AM.

  2. #2

    Necro's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    39,168
    Rep Power
    336750
      Country                    United States

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    So you want to get rid of the better of the two brands? The show that's put out great show after great show? And you want to keep Raw? The one that has been less than average for a long time now? Makes sense.

  3. #3
    ಠ_ಠ

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,360
    Rep Power
    2204

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    I stopped reading when I read the title. WWE should NEVER get rid of smackdown due to the fact it completes the WWE. It provides the wrestling where as Raw provides the storylines. You don't fuck shit like that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well


  4. #4
    On Vacation
    Sicario's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bo$$town
    Posts
    8,021
    Rep Power
    0
      Country                    United States

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    You do realize that a shit ton of performers would be let go because this right? There's no way to feature all the talent WWE has in one two hour show.

  5. #5
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    IMO, the fact that the WWE made two, two hour shows has done more harm to wrestling than good. You cannot have two world champions, thats dumb, if you think about it, but you could have a second show for an hour that could be too build young wrestlers with maybe a couple of less significant belts to fight over on that show.
    Last edited by 96-99; 03-23-2010 at 05:24 AM.

  6. #6
    Tommy Got Hacked
    Guest

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

  7. #7
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    I can see the logic in wanting only one World Title, but not the logic in wanting only one show. I too long for the days when there was only one World Title belt, making every title match so much bigger because you really were THE man in the company if you won it. However, I don't see why you would want to get rid of Smackdown to make this a reality. Things were fine in 1999-2001 with Smackdown as the B show, but both shows consisting of the same roster with one belt.

    That said, things have changed a lot now. In the brand extension era Smackdown has really established itself as the wrestling brand where people get time to put on good matches and show what they can do in the ring, while, especially recently, RAW is more an angles show, and more concerningly, a lame attempt to tap into popular culture and appeal to a more mainstream audience with things like the celebrity guest hosts. It is only because WWE have two brands that we are able to see one show feature a good amount of wrestling. It works having the two of them together.
    I understand that hardcore fans want too watch these great matches and what not. But if you cant make wrestling have that huge real main event feel to it, thats all your ever going to get hardcore fans. Just an opinion i have had for a very long time.
    Last edited by 96-99; 03-23-2010 at 05:59 AM.

  8. #8
    On Vacation
    Sicario's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bo$$town
    Posts
    8,021
    Rep Power
    0
      Country                    United States

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Shit, if I had my way there'd be a wrestling show on every night of the week. :p

  9. #9
    Tommy Got Hacked
    Guest

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

  10. #10
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hall View Post
    Shit, if I had my way there'd be a wrestling show on every night of the week. :p
    I understand that, you are what I call a hardcore fan:D. But wrestling made a mistake by making two big shows along time ago, in my opinion. Wrestling was at its biggest when you had one big show from WCW and WWE on a Monday and then had a small wrestling show on Saturday and Sunday night heat i believe. Because this made the belts mean more, the aura of the show mean more, everything was about that show. I mean how stupid is the draft when its the same company and they already know who they want on what show and were suppose too believe its all up to luck, on who goes where. Quality over quantity in my opinion.

  11. #11
    Tommy Got Hacked
    Guest

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

  12. #12
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    So WWE only has hardcore fans? Don't really understand that point. You're talking about WWE like its an indy rather than the biggest wrestling promotion going. Guessing you mean they don't have many fans in contrast to say, 10 years ago? In that case there are various factors which have contributed to the decrease in wrestling's popularity since then.

    WWE could still make title matches seem really big if they booked them right and booked the brands as completely seperate entities, but I would agree that there have not been big match atmospheres (for title matches anyway) like there used to be since the brand extension was introduced back in 2002. The biggest matches now usually don't involve the belt, such as at the last 2 Manias (and this one too).

    But you didn't really acknowledge my point about how Smackdown could still exist even with one World Title. WWE has too much talent now for them to only run one main show a week.
    I know their are varying factors besides just what i have brought up here. But I think the fact that they have two big shows has took away some of the interest they use too have just a thought though. Their is so much wrestling out there on TV that none of it has that much special appeal anymore in the WWE. Which definitely has brought my interest down. But maybe you could keep smackdown for the talent and only have one title but then again that is alot of wrestling on TV and can overexpose the product. I realize that some might lose their jobs but sometimes less is more and I just think wrestling needs that "real main event feel again."

  13. #13
    Tommy Got Hacked
    Guest

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

  14. #14
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    But if WWE only had one show the quality would be worse than Smackdown. Like I said, it's only because there are two brands that they can afford to put so much wrestling on one of them. RAW always contains a hell of a lot of wasted time due to the guest hosts and other dumb segments. Smackdown is needed for this very reason, and if there was only one show the quality would be weaker.
    I understand what you are saying but i geuss its about what you want out of wrestling. And I really don't like watching long drawn out matches. i like sports entertainment and when you have top stars moving around so much it takes away from the product, IMO. As an example, I am a pretty big edge fan. He was getting really big and really was entertaining me on Raw and then he got moved to Smackdown. And although i still like him, his appeal has took a hit and he just has not been as good on Smackdown it seems. I want him back on Raw but he still is on Smackdown which is not good IMO.

  15. #15
    Tommy Got Hacked
    Guest

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.
    Last edited by Tommy Got Hacked; 03-22-2010 at 06:45 PM.

  16. #16
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    I totally understand that you want everything to seem as big as it used to. The combination of the fact that there are multiple World Titles, and the way WWE have booked them in recent years, has caused them to basically lose all meaning. I remember Punk and Joe commenting on their series in ROH (I believe it's from their shoot DVD) and they stated that the single most important thing in matches like that is to put over the belt and make it seem huge. Make it seem like something that wrestlers would go through anything to get their hands on. They wanted to put over what it means to be the Champion. I think this thinking has been lost in WWE in recent years, but it is by no means strictly due to the extistence of two brands and two World Titles. It is also just bad booking in general which has caused the belts to lose so much prestige compared to years gone by.

    I understand your point and I really do miss the time when title matches had such a huge feel, but I just think times have changed and you can't just go back to the way things were now. The two brands have been established for some time and are needed due to the amount of talent WWE have on their roster, and I doubt a decision to scrap Smackdown would result in a sharp increase in ratings for RAW. Wrestling just isn't as popular now.
    You may be right I just know my thoughts I have about it. And I never did like them going to two, two hour shows. And just think wrestling was done better as a once a week two hour party type of thing. Like with football, once a week game let fans wait for the entertainment it helps build interest in it. Just a thought though.

  17. #17
    Underdog

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    But lets look at another example. Look how great CM Punk's character is on Smackdown and how he is allowed to be the top heel on the brand, getting a ton of mic time and character development, high profile feuds and angles, and the time to put on good wrestling matches too. Do you really think all of this would have happened for Punk if RAW was the only show WWE had and he was stuck on that?

    You complained about WWE being stale and always having the same guys on top. Surely reducing it to one brand would only exacerbate this problem. Smackdown's very existence allows talented guys like CM Punk to be a big deal and get the air time they deserve.

    I would also add that the PG rating has harmed Edge's character more than a move to Smackdown did.
    You may be right about Punk possibly not getting the push he is now. But I still think they could develop some younger guys on a one hour lesser show. But you take away from making a Mega star possibly in someone like edge by moving them so much around and pushing two shows as being on the same level and doing this will probably never get wrestling back to being somewhat "cool" again. And as far as Punk wouldnt get the push on Raw that also, IMO, hinges on guys that wouldnt want too give up the spotlight like HHH and others.
    Last edited by 96-99; 03-22-2010 at 08:01 PM.

  18. #18
    On Vacation
    Sicario's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bo$$town
    Posts
    8,021
    Rep Power
    0
      Country                    United States

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    The move to Smackdown was the single greatest thing to ever happen to Edge. If he remained on Raw, he wouldn't be a nine-time world champion. I doubt he'd even be five time champion.

  19. #19
    Tommy Got Hacked
    Guest

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

  20. #20
    On Vacation
    Sicario's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bo$$town
    Posts
    8,021
    Rep Power
    0
      Country                    United States

    Re: The WWE needs to get rid of Smackdown

    It does to me. I'd rather see him as champion than almost anyone else in the WWE. Besides, I'm defending Smackdown if I believe was your goal as well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •