Thread: William Regal

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    uk_scotland=Scotland

William Regal

Anybody else apart from me sorry that he currently doesn't have a match at Wrestlemania yet? It's not just Mania, I feel he has been booked poorly at Summerslam and was pinned on the 4 way @Night of Extreme, His only PPV appearances in 2009 excluding the Rumble 09= bearing in mind he wasn't even in the match in 2010

Regal for me is one of the best in ring performers the WWE currently have despite being a seasoned vetran. From my memory he has been involved in 2 mania's against Jericho and RVD at 17 and 18. Both were for the IC title and opened the shows. I felt these matches were really good and helped showcase Regal on the big stage.

Also another strength of Regal is his mike work. I don't know if it's me but I seem to like everyone that speaks in a pronounced English tone in wrestling eg Wade Barrett, Brutus Magnus, Doug Williams, Nigel McGuinness and of course Regal.

So why do you think he has been underutilised at wrestlemania and what do you think of the man himself?

Yeezy Taught Me

Status

Re: William Regal

He's not involved in any feuds. The main thing he's got going on is NXT, which isn't going to even be mentioned at 'Mania imo.

I say this every time Regal is brought up: He has his chance at the main event scene, and he blew it using illegal drugs. I think he would have been a badass WHC and would have saved 2008 RAW because it was crap around that time imo. But he got suspended and his push was washed away.

I highly doubt he's going to be on the WrestleMania card, might get a backstage comedy segment in though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackg93 View Post
    Anybody else apart from me sorry that he currently doesn't have a match at Wrestlemania yet? It's not just Mania, I feel he has been booked poorly at Summerslam and was pinned on the 4 way @Night of Extreme, His only PPV appearances in 2009 excluding the Rumble 09= bearing in mind he wasn't even in the match in 2010.
    Regal wrestled Christian at Breaking Point last year. Really great match too.

Regal has been one of my favorites for over a decade now. He's such a talented wrestler that can deliver in the ring, has a believable gimmick, is solid on the mic and has the best facial expressions around. However, I'm used to Regal being used every once in a great while. When he is used in something important (Such as the Christian feud) he delivers fantastically.

As for Wrestlemania, with Regal not having anything to do, it's not a big deal that he hasn't been booked. On the plus side, unlike so many other talented workers, who just can't find a way to be used well, Regal has been able to fall back on his mic skills with his roles as commissioner, general manager and manager/babysitter of Eugene. It's that talent that has probably kept Regal his job for so long. Even after he retires, I can see him still working for the WWE in an official role.

WAKE UP

Status

Probably the most underused talent of the last decade.

Yooooo Mang

Status

I am in agree with the above statement...he is vastly underused and underrated and thank god they never kept him in his "Real Man's Man" gimmick he had in the Attitude Era.....even though his entrance song was awesome

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

As was said, I was so disappointed he blew it when he had his big chance when winning King of the Ring.

When I was a less knowledgeable fan I used to HATE watching him. His style seemed so incredibly dull in the attitude era.

However, being slightly more learned (LOL!) I've appreciated his style more and more with each year. With the right opponent, he can have some great matches. But maybe he's most useful as a voicepiece/manager or commissioner role (though I hate the commissioner role thesedays.....so over done)
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

On Vacation

Status

I won't lie I've never been a fan of Regal, I think he's a bit overrated at these forums, but that's just my opinion on the matter. He was so annoying after he won the King of the Ring, god it was brutal.

But my question is this, if you guys believe he's so great why do you believe the WWE doesn't use him all much?

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status

My feeling is that THEY like him a lot (Vince, Hunter etc), but they don't believe the fans will get into him. His style is a bit of an accustomed taste (as I said), and the WWE fans have never warmed to it, One of those guys that may be better appreciated by his peers and bosses than he ever will be by the paying crowd

Status
      Country                    United States

That sucks as far as I'm concerned. Regal is one of the few performers that can still go. His series with Christian were excellent IMO.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmago View Post
    But my question is this, if you guys believe he's so great why do you believe the WWE doesn't use him all much?
    Age is probably a factor. He may not be the oldest man on the roster, but he's not the type you can build a company around for the next ten years like you could with Cena. Due to his style, he may not be as capable of being universally revered as being a top guy like Taker or Trips. You could also factor in bad timing. He came back into the WWE in late 2000. By that point, there were so many huge stars (Austin, Rock, Taker and Triple H) and a lot of up and coming stars (Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho and Angle). Sadly for Regal, he had his health scare right when the rosters were about to thin out in early 2003. That kept him out of action for over a year. The drug violation in 2008 really prevented Regal from capitalizing on his potential push. Since Regal's mic skills and presence is so outstanding, it's possible Vince sees more potential in Regal being useful by talking instead of wrestling. Finally, a lot of really talented in ring workers who were some of the best wrestlers in the company were used to help others than pushed to the top. You can look at Ted DiBiase, Chris Benoit and Jamie Noble to find other examples of this.

There's a lot of factors that goes into deciding who gets pushed. For Regal, bad timing and excelling in areas that could be used in other ways have probably kept him from being a World champion.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Widmore View Post
    Age is probably a factor. He may not be the oldest man on the roster, but he's not the type you can build a company around for the next ten years like you could with Cena. Due to his style, he may not be as capable of being universally revered as being a top guy like Taker or Trips. You could also factor in bad timing. He came back into the WWE in late 2000. By that point, there were so many huge stars (Austin, Rock, Taker and Triple H) and a lot of up and coming stars (Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho and Angle). Sadly for Regal, he had his health scare right when the rosters were about to thin out in early 2003. That kept him out of action for over a year. The drug violation in 2008 really prevented Regal from capitalizing on his potential push. Since Regal's mic skills and presence is so outstanding, it's possible Vince sees more potential in Regal being useful by talking instead of wrestling. Finally, a lot of really talented in ring workers who were some of the best wrestlers in the company were used to help others than pushed to the top. You can look at Ted DiBiase, Chris Benoit and Jamie Noble to find other examples of this.

There's a lot of factors that goes into deciding who gets pushed. For Regal, bad timing and excelling in areas that could be used in other ways have probably kept him from being a World champion.

Finlay is the oldest guy on the roster...

Anyway back to the topic, Regal was never huge in WCW either and he was there for six years, I know he won the television title four times and almost won the Tag Team Championships, but he was never a top guy with them either. So there's as to be something else then just bad timing so to speak.

Anyway back to the topic, Regal was never huge in WCW either and he was there for six years, I know he won the television title four times and almost won the Tag Team Championships, but he was never a top guy with them either. So there's as to be something else then just bad timing so to speak.
    Regal was pretty huge in 1993. For a rookie year, he had a fantastic year. As for not having bad timing, what do you call coming into a company shortly before Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Lex Luger came into or back to the company? At it's peak, WCW had a HUGE roster that made it hard for a lot of guys to get a lot of attention. With how many huge stars were in the company, it was next to impossible to be pushed too far.

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

Regal has just never been fully accepted by the majority of fans, and that is why he never gets a really good push, or slotted in at Mania. Regal, in my opinion works best as a manager or mouthpiece for someone else.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Widmore View Post

Excellent post

Finlay is the oldest guy on the roster...

Anyway back to the topic,
    Well he said "may not be the oldest man on the roster", so it wasn't really a point that needed making!

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Excellent post

Well he said "may not be the oldest man on the roster", so it wasn't really a point that needed making!
    I didn't post it to rub it in his face, I just posted it in case some people didn't know it.

I apologize if you guys took that the wrong way.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Love Regal, one of the funniest guys in wrestling, and a great wrestler as well.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I would love to see a Regal-Finlay tag team, I don't wanna see them in matching costumes or anyhing like that although Regal could get away with wearing green trunks. Or I would love Regal to become Raw's new GM, I thought he was great as commissioner all those years ago.
    "Oh you didn't know...................."
    "yo ass better call somebodeeeeee"

Thread Information