Thread: The Crowd

Tommy Got Hacked

The Crowd

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Yeezy Taught Me

Status

Re: The Crowd

Crowds play a huge part in how the show feels and the impact of the delivery. Having a screaming crowd can make a lot of things that aren't that awesome seem like an epic moment in wrestling.

I think it was No Surrender, the PPV where AJ Styles won the Heavyweight title. That crowd was dead the entire PPV and it made the show seem boring and even not watchable at times. But actually it was a pretty enjoyable PPV.

So yeah, the crowd has a major factor in how the show is perceived.

Basic B*tches

Status

WWE runs some questionable arenas sometimes but as long as they are selling out, they probably don't mind if the reactions are tame. Pretty much any show in Canada, Chicago, MSG, Philly, and a few other places you can rest assured that the crowds will be heated. Everywhere else is a crap shoot.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

I agree with CuttingEDGE a hot crowd can make every entrance/run in/ match seem epic and really gets the viewer at home pumped as well....except when the crowd says "what?" after everything someone says...that gets annoying

The crowd is probably the single most important element in any match. They can make a bad match fun and a great match dull. Most of the major moments in feuds and angles have a major reliance on the crowd reaction. If you have Wrestler A turn on his partner to become a heel, any company is hoping that the crowd delivers the intended reaction of booing him. Any given crowd can also affect future crowds. For example, if a particular city boos a wrestler, people watching at home may do the same when the WWE comes to a city near them. That's part of how Cena's hate was created. It started in major cities and slowly spread. The crowd also helps a company know when a character is working or not working out. Look at Sean Morley and TNA. If I had to guess, the main reason why he's not there anymore is because the fans hated him. Listening to the crowd has affected storylines that wouldn't put into action for months. That's one of the reasons why Batista was given the World Title at Wrestlemania 21 instead of Randy Orton.

i love moms

Status

Well I was in that Raw crowd so thanks for the compliment.

But yeah, the crowd is very important. Like, The Rock vs. Hogan, I loved that for the crowd as much as the match itself. That's one of my biggest problems with TNA, the crowd is either silent or chanting some shit.

Oh, and fuck that crowd. Whenever Cena or Mysterio showed on the titantron(like during the tribute to the troops videos) they screamed and shit. So when Bryan Danielson popped up(NXT commercial) I yelled FUCK YEAH as loud as possible, and everyone around me looked at me like wtf, lol.
    Last edited by Drake; 03-17-2010 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    I basically live out my internet life to gain Jake's approval.
    [10:54 PM] Yeezus: these bitches love Jake, hit em with that cobra now that boy slumped ova

On Vacation

Status

A hot crowd can save a match, or make a good one great. No matter how awesome a match is, if the crowd is dead, it ruins it.

Rick

Status
    The Derek Zoolander center for kids who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too

There was something special about this past RAW: Stone Cold. Dude's an icon, and the poster boy for the "Attitude Era". Pete Rose next week won't get the same reaction, and the crowd won't seem as lively. The crowd in general is VERY important part of any wrestling show. It doesn't matter if there's 50 people in the crowd, or 50,000 - what matters is the crowds participation. WWE love to point out that there's 15 - 20,000 people at their weekly shows, but what they conveniently overlook is that those 15 to 20 thousand customers are mostly quite bored and mostly quiet; they've just been trained to pop on-cue (for entrances and finishers), other than that, they don't tend to make much noise.

Contrast that with the hundreds to few thousand fans at other promotions. Those fans are screaming, hollering, clapping, cheering, booing, chanting and the wrestlers interact with the fans considerably more than the WWE performers do. The pitiful crowd responses at a WWE show (at least on TV) have forced Vince to dub in vocal crowd responses. I don't believe WWE crowds are dead because the show sucks, I believe some of the fans, aren't that, "real fans". Some are just parents accompanying their kids, some go just to say they went to a WWE show, and some just don't realise that sitting 2 miles away from the ring is a whole lot different from watching the show in their living rooms with the TV cameras catching everything and putting it right in front of them.

Doesn't matter if TNA gives TV taping tickets away, or "coaches" their audiences how to react, their responses do translate to the viewers. ROH crowds are nearly as vocal as the old ECW crowds were. AAA (from what I've seen at least), draws several thousands to their shows, and they put WWE crowds to shame. The point is, the size of a crowd is completely irrelevant (except to the bean-counters), the responses from the crowd is what matters. The crowd drives the wrestlers, not the other way around. Sure an exceptional performance may bring a dead crowd back, but for the most part, the crowd gets what they ask for. If they're silent and bored, the wrestlers aren't going to kill themselves to get a rise out of them. Really, the only way to "fix" the crowd problem with WWE would also cripple the WWE. The problem is the WWE holds their shows in gigantic arenas and the vast majority of the crowd sit a few hundred feet from the ring, disconnected from the show. If the WWE hold their shows in smaller arenas, with crowds of only a few thousand, this would weed out the customers who are only there to say they went to a WWE show, and reduce the amount of parents accompanying children. The WWE would then start attracting fans, instead of just customers. But as I said, this would cripple the WWE. Vince needs the budget of a small country to keep that huge WWE circus in business. Smaller arenas means less revenue, would mean smaller shows and/or reduced salaries for performers.

Finally (and sorry for the long winded post) I think it's also that the crowds used to be a big driving force, but lately a lot of promotions are just teaching their wrestlers to play to the camera, not the crowd too. And I think that's what is killing the live experience for a lot of people. Sometimes, it's as if the wrestling fan's trying to trivialize whatever's going down in the ring, whether it be a "you fucked up" chant, or some smarky "fire russo" chant. I don't know, it just seems like if a crowd sings along these days, it's either a depreciating semantic or a pointless, over done phrase like "this is awesome". I can't tell you how many times I've to wanted to put ROH or TNA on mute, and it wasn't because of West or Hogwood.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I was at this past week's Raw too, had a blast that night.

As for the thread's topic, yes I do believe the crowd does play a big part of the show, when the crowd really gets into a match it makes it more exciting.

People's Champion

Status

The crowd at a WWE Event is like a corwd at a Concert. If the crowd isnt going to be singing along, and just stares the whole time, the concer blows. Trust me i know.

Established Veteran

Status

The Crowd makes a huge difference. If the crowd is quiet it makes a move that is really awesome bland. The Crowd needs to be way more active than they are.

Underdog

Status

TNA's crowd lately seems to be into it more and sounds louder on TV, imo. It does help for a crowd to get loud.
    Last edited by 96-99; 03-24-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Well the thing that pisses me off about fans is when they cheer for the heel or boo the babyface, ruins the whole story element to it. The crowd is important in order to make it feel more epic but like I said cheering or booing at the wrong times can ruin things.

Main Eventer

Status

The iMPACT Zone crowd (most of them) can lick my balls. They're plants and they're Bubba marks.

Fuck 'em all!

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    Well the thing that pisses me off about fans is when they cheer for the heel or boo the babyface, ruins the whole story element to it. The crowd is important in order to make it feel more epic but like I said cheering or booing at the wrong times can ruin things.
    I'm sorry but sometimes people don't like the "face" that a company has forced on them. The Rock and John Cena for examples. This let's the company know that something needs to be done freshen their characters. And sometimes the heel is just so over the audience can't help but cheer for them like with Orton. Just the way it is.

Status

The crowd can show how classy and how immature they can be when it comes to any match. Fans show their feelings toward the wrestler(s) with their reactions with cheers or jeers.

For example, Some anti-Cena chants come from a different group of fans from the Attitude Era, those group of fans obvious don't want to see a goody-two shoes wrestler that's directed to little kids.

The crowd pay their respect for a recently deceased wrestler by cheering them on. Not because it's respectful, it's because of the passion, contribution, and leaving their mark in the wrestling business. It's classy for the crowd to pay tribute to them.

The crowd, good or bad, is good for business because they fill arenas and experience the joy of watching wrestling. Any reaction, they're ok by me.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

The Metal Messiah

Status
      Country                    us=United States
    Well, The reason this is.
    Look at the crowd most of the time.

Its all Fat People, Nerds, Geeks, Dork, Drunken Idiots, Rednecks, Or Famous People.
    Fat people - To tired to stand up and actually yell.
    Nerds - To quiet.
    Geeks - To Shy.
    Drunken Idiots - Are Probably Passed Out
    Rednecks - Make the only noise
    Famous People - Just sit their and clap.

and KIDS are the ones who mainly make the noise.
    Last edited by CuttingEDGE; 03-24-2010 at 05:43 PM.

1-0-0

Thread Information