Thread: Bahrain Grand Prix Discussion

Rising Above...

Status

Bahrain Grand Prix Discussion

The first Grand Prix of the new season gets underway this weekend in Bahrain.

Who’s going to make an early championship challenge, and how’s Michael Schumacher going to fair in his first race back after retirement?

Qualifying: Saturday 13th Match 11.00am GMT

Race: Sunday 14th March 12.00pm GMT

Ole!

Status

Re: Bahrain Grand Prix Discussion

I don't really want to predict anything as you can't tell much from practice, hopefully we get some nice surprises though.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Ole!

Status

Alonso Sets Pace in Saturday Practice

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Fernando Alonso threw down the gauntlet to his rivals with a blistering performance in Bahrain final practice.

Alonso, in his first race for Ferrari at the start of the 2010 season, set the pace with a lap 0.269 seconds quicker than Mercedes's Nico Rosberg.

Mark Webber was third fastest, ahead of Michael Schumacher's Mercedes and his fellow Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel, as the big names dominated.

Lewis Hamilton was 12th after a wheel problem, with Jenson Button seventh.

Hamilton missed the latter stages of the session and was unable to try his McLaren in its qualifying specification - low tanks and soft tyres - unlike all his rivals in the top four teams.

Ferrari, strongly tipped as the team to beat heading into the new season, showed the true pace of their car for the first time.

Double world champion Alonso's notable performance culminated in a best lap of one minute 54.099 seconds.

He was 0.640secs faster than sixth-quickest team-mate Felipe Massa, who generally had the upper hand over previous team-mate Kimi Raikkonen in the last two years.

The session also confirmed the impression that Rosberg is likely to out-qualify Schumacher at the German legend's first race back after three years in retirement.

Schumacher, who on Friday admitted to being a little "rusty" in terms of out-and-out one-lap pace, still appeared to be struggling with his car, particularly through the bumpy new section of the track.

Here, a series of tight corners have added about half a mile to the length of the Bahrain lap, which is now nearly four miles long.

The new teams continued to struggle. The fastest of their drivers, Virgin's Timo Glock, found himself five seconds slower than Alonso. Lotus's Heikki Kovalainen was the next up.
    Hispania Racing's Bruno Senna lapped 9.9secs off the pace as the new Spanish team get to grips with a car that had not turned a wheel before they arrived in Bahrain.

Senna's team-mate, Karun Chandhok from India, will not be able to race after the team failed to get his car ready to take part in any of the practice sessions.

Not looking good for the new teams.

Rising Above...

Status

Watched the Qualifying and as always it will take a bit of getting used to with drivers at different teams and new teams entering the championship. Also the new rules are going to be interesting. Shame there is no re-fuelling this season.

Here's the results from qualifying:

Quote Originally Posted by Formula1.com
    Sebastian Vettel showed that Red Bull have the fastest Formula One car at the moment after the fight for pole position for the Bahrain Grand Prix with the Ferraris of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso ended in his favour by 0.141s.

Vettel was in excellent form, and used Bridgestone’s softer tyre to record 1m 54.101s in the final, Q3, session. Massa, also on the softer tyre, got closest with 1m 54.242s, with his new Ferrari team mate Alonso third on 1m 54.608s.

It was an interesting session, which suggested that McLaren are a long way off the ultimate pace as Lewis Hamilton’s fourth best time was 1m 55.217s. It was also a disappointment for Mercedes GP, after Nico Rosberg had been so quick thus far, to see him only fifth on 1m 55.241s. The young German has had the upper hand over returnee Michael Schumacher all weekend, the multiple champion lining up seventh on 1m 55.524s. Mark Webber slipped his Red Bull between them, with 1m 55.284s.

Jenson Button starts his first race for McLaren eighth, thanks to a lap of 1m 55.672s, and Renault’s Robert Kubica shares the fifth row with Force India’s Adrian Sutil, 1m 55.885s to 1m 56.309s.

Rubens Barrichello came to life on Saturday after working yesterday to get his Williams to his liking, and just missed out on Q3 with 1m 55.330s, which put him ahead of Force India's Vitantonio Liuzzi who failed to improve on his 1m 55.653s lap from his first run in Q2.

Then came Nico Hulkenberg in the second Williams on 1m 55.857s, Pedro de la Rosa in the disappointing BMW Sauber on 1m 56.237s, Sebastien Buemi in the lead Toro Rosso on 1m 56.265s, BMW Sauber’s Kamui Kobayashi on 1m 56.270s and Vitaly Petrov who will make his Grand Prix debut from 17th on the grid in the second Renault, which he took round in 1m 56.619s.

Having run well thus far this weekend, Jaime Alguersuari was the first man to lose out in Q1, when he lapped his Toro Rosso in 1m 57.071s for 18th fastest time, ahead of all the new teams. Timo Glock’s Virgin was the best of them, with 1m 59.728s, ahead of Jarno Trulli’s Lotus on 1m 59.852s, so things were very close here.

Then came Heikki Kovalainen in 2m 00.313s in the other Lotus and Lucas di Grassi on 2m 00.587s for Virgin. At the back Bruno Senna took his HRT round in 2m 03.240s, while Karun Chandhok finally got a run and in the circumstances did an excellent job for 2m 04.904s in only seven laps.

Rising Above...

Status

Just watching the highlights of the Grand Prix, as I wasn’t able to watch it live this afternoon. Pleased to see Alonso win – him and Ferrari are a great match. If he gets a few more wins under his belt in the first few races then he’s going to be red (excuse the pun!) hot favourite for the title. Surprised that Vettel finished as low as he did. I would have thought he was a dead cert for a podium finish having qualified on pole - hopefully reliability isn't a problem for him for the rest of the season.

Karun Chandhok seems to be a good newcomer to the sport. He’s been quite unlucky during pre season and hopefully he can get some more laps under his belt during the next few races. All of the new teams had a pretty poor race, hopefully they can become competitive over the next few races.

Its going to take some time getting used to some of the new teams and drivers with new teams. I’m still finding it strange seeing Schumacher in a silver car, and Button in a McLaren.

Bahrain Grand Prix Result:

1. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 1:39:20.396
    2. Filippe Massa (Ferrari) 1:39:36.495
    3. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) 1:39:43.578
    4. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 1:39:59.195
    5. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:40:00.609
    6. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) 1:40:04.559
    7. Jenson Button (McLaren) 1:40:05.676
    8. Mark Webber (Red Bull) 1:40:06.756
    9. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Force India) 1:40:13.404
    10. Rubens Barrichello (Williams-Cosworth) 1:40:22.885
    11. Robert Kubica (Renault) 2:00.474
    12. Adrian Sutil (Force India) 1:59.393
    13. Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso-Ferrari) 1:59.964
    14. Nico Hulkenberg (Williams-Cosworth) 2:01.401
    15. Heikki Kovalainen (Lotus F1) (2:02.701)
    16. Sebastien Buemi (Toro Rosso-Ferrari) Retired: Lap 46
    17. Jarno Trulli (Lotus F1) Retired: Lap 46
    18. Pedro de la Rosa (BMW Sauber) Retired: Lap 28
    19. Bruno Senna (Hispania Racing F1) Retired: Lap 17
    20. Timo Glock (Virgin Racing) Retired: Lap 16
    21. Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Retired: Lap 13
    22. Kamui Kobayashi (BMW Sauber) Retired: Lap 11
    23. Lucas di Grassi (Virgin Racing) Retired: Lap 2
    24. Karun Chandhok (Hispania Racing F1) Retired: Lap 1

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Got to be honest, I was pretty excited about this F1 season. New cars, new drivers, new partnerships, and Schuey back more so than anything.

So I watched the race today, and once again, outside of the start, it's ridiculously boring. Long gone are the days when passing was a regular thing. Maybe it was just that track? I dunno, but that was such a dull race.

The new points concept is pretty much nullified by the whole fuel thing. They've pretty much just slowed the entire race down with that terrible idea.

Plus Schuey's car doesn't seem great which I find a pity. Hopefully they can improve it as I'd like to see him near the top.

And he scores goals...!

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceSells View Post
    Got to be honest, I was pretty excited about this F1 season. New cars, new drivers, new partnerships, and Schuey back more so than anything.

So I watched the race today, and once again, outside of the start, it's ridiculously boring. Long gone are the days when passing was a regular thing. Maybe it was just that track? I dunno, but that was such a dull race.

The new points concept is pretty much nullified by the whole fuel thing. They've pretty much just slowed the entire race down with that terrible idea.

Plus Schuey's car doesn't seem great which I find a pity. Hopefully they can improve it as I'd like to see him near the top.
    I generally find that the brand new tracks don't really cater to over taking much. I prefer the old circuits were it takes far more skill to drive around them and overtake people. But that just might be me.

I was talking to a friend who's a long time F1 fan and watched the whole race and he said the protection of the engines was the real problem with the race, because none of the teams want to use their first engine up after 1 weekend of racing. If there was one rule i'd change it would be that you could use as many engines as you wanted.

I also found it bizarre that most of the new teams had little to no testing time at all. Most of them were going blind into the F1 season - that can't be right. Teams shouldn't be testing their cars during a race weekend. One guy hadn't even stepped into his race car until qualifying!! It seems like they've rushed a lot of these teams in before they were ready.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    nl=Netherlands

These days cars are being built to go around the circuit one lap really fast, they testing it with computers, they can't even get close to another car and slipstream because they won't get enough cool air to cool down their cars with, so they are being built for qualifying not overtaking.
    Then all these new tracks are shit because you can't overtake on em, the straight ends are too short and usually start after a sharp turn (which pulls cars away from eachother). My dad always said that there needs to be a 'faint corner' a very long turn before the straight end so you can build great speed and overtake your opponent at the end of the straight, but the cars can't even stay that long behind another car... So the cars are not made for overtaking and neither are the tracks, so it's just a parade, and now they can't even fueltank anymore to make cars heavier and / or faster - we'll see what happens next couple of races but it seems like it's just gonna be a parade race =\
    Spoiler:

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

The race was mind numbingly boring no matter the excuses. I am going to the Montreal race this year for the first time, but this race definitely dulls the excitement.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Thread Information