Thread: "That'll Sure Put Some Butts In The Seats"

Tommy Got Hacked

"That'll Sure Put Some Butts In The Seats"

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: "That'll Sure Put Some Butts In The Seats"

You make a good point. In fact.. I can only see two faces in general that would cause the IWC (not the average fan) to blow up in joy and that'd be the obvious Kofi Kingston, who is the only one close to being a big deal, or Evan Bourne who clearly is in no spot to win the major title but the IWC loves him at least and he's young/exciting.

You make a very good point and between awful characters or lack of and start/stop pushing, I can see why. It's a shame.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Bangin' It.

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

This is something I've been thinking about for quite sometime. It would be nice for WWE to get someone that as a face has attitude and goes over with the fans so well that winning the title would be almost as amazing as Mankind or Jericho's title winnings; if not better. Someone that actually gets a great pop upon winning the WWE/World Heavyweight title.

Unfortunately WWE fans aren't the same as they use to be imo. Crowds are a lot more dull for the superstars who are well more deserving of a reaction. Probably because of the way WWE is pushing and not pushing them. Take Mark Henry's push for example; WWE basically wasted something good they had going. Henry was getting a reaction from the crowd that he hasn't got since the 90's or so and this pop probably was better. Kofi would probably be a better example since he's a newer wrestler; Kofi was getting somewhat of a push with the whole Randy Orton situation. If Kofi had came on top then he today could possibly be a WWE champion because Sheamus was a god awful decision to randomly give a title too. I feel WWE failed to jump on Kofi and gives his character just a bit more of attitude to make the fans more interested in him. They were getting there but gave up as always.
    Nothings better than simplicity.

Status

Not to mention the fact that winning the WWE world title just doesn't mean nearly as much anymore. I'm not even sure I would react that much to Danielson winning it. With two world titles and both being passed around to a large degree, the meaning has just been sucked away.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I think the reason is obvious and was mentioned in the first post, Faces these days just say how determined they are(check) how they love the fans (check) and have a move or two that the crwod can chant a word with. Then with Mankind you had a face who had a multiple personality storyline, jericho was a cocky irrogant ass hole but the fans loved him and he ran with it, stone cold the rock, rvd, the entire DX were the same thing. Faces today have no personality or edge to them, thats why i'm pining super hard for the orton face turn because they couldn't change his character now he is who he is so he will be a face thats not a cookie cutter.

P.S the reason mankind got the title was because he went off a cage and really did almost kill himself, he deserved it and was super over but I don't think he would of ever even got it if vince didn't have some guilt/respect for him b/c of it, hence the multiple day title reigns.

Rhythm Rock Shocker

Status
      Country                    United States

And what's worse is that the young standout heels aren't even getting the TV/PPV time they're deserving of, save for the Miz of course.

I'm to the point where, despite watching RAW and Smackdown and buying all the PPVs, I'm more excited to watch Superstars because it's almost a guarantee that you'll get 3 really good matches to watch with the underused talent that should be working their way up.

There's a definite need for a young face with a shit-eating grin that's hungry for the spotlight to shake up the status quo.

Chikara Trainee

Status

It's no surprise heels get decent from time to time, they do the stuff the faces should be doing. The days of everything being black and white and faces being heroic good guys and heels being cheating villains is over. In fact, it was over in 95 or 96, you'd think they'd have figured it out seeing as they built the entire attitude era on the "shades of gray" philosophy. Why the reverted back I have no clue. You can have PG, kid-friendly material without watering everyone and everything down.

Yooooo Mang

Status

Wouldn't Rey's championship run be considered along the same lines as the Mankind one?

There are really no new young exciting faces that are World Championship material except for Kingston....I really think making Orton the face and Legacy the heels is the wrong move cuz a guy like Cody Rhodes could be that guy if packaged right...

If you look at only certain demographics, the last one that had this kind of effect was CM Punk in 2008. Before that, it was probably Edge in 2006. The only person on the main roster that if he would win the title, there would be some kind of huge buzz, even if only in one demographic, would be for Daniel Bryan to win the belt. The internet buzz alone would control the talk of boards like ROH and PWG's, but also youtube and non-company based boards.

On Vacation

Status

Totally agree Tommy. I think, from what I understand, you're saying there isn't a midcarder with anougher character and attitude to be immediatly elervated to the the title that the fans would accept? Very interestling, when you really put into perspective how important the mid card is in this regard, as 90% of wrestlers+ who make the main event go through this process.

I would like to think the Miz character wouldn't need that much work to have that sort of affect though. I could see him getting mad heat, but the problem is his ring skills arent 'there' yet. Seems to be a lot less heat now than back in the day tbh for a lot of the mid card...

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    I was talking to my friend today about the Monday Night War and one particular comment from Tony Schiavone on the night Mick Foley won the WWF Title for the first time. WCW used their tactics of giving away the RAW results before it happened, but Schiavone's sarcastic comment only encouraged people to flick over to RAW, so excited were they at the prospect of Foley winning the title.

The point I am making by this is that back then, Mankind winning the title was a HUGE deal. He was super over, and didn't "look" like a Champion. A similar thing happened in 2000 when Chris Jericho "won" the WWF Title from Triple H and the crowd went wild, only for the decision to be reversed in acrimonious circumstances, getting Triple H a lot of heat. Jericho was hugely over and the idea of him winning the WWF title was extremely exciting, not because the current Champ was stale and people just wanted something new, but because he was entertaining and people genuinely cared about his character (as well as his ability of course). Like Foley, there was something unique about him which made people want to see him. He wasn't just like everybody else, he had attitude.

Before people start to wonder why this isn't in the General/Classic section, I will get to the point and relate this to the current WWE product, though I have a feeling people can already guess what I'm about to say. The conversation with my friend disappointed me, because when we tried to think of an example of a really over and exciting young guy winning the title now (for TNA to mock in the way Tony Schiavone of WCW did) we couldn't. There is no midcard face who people would be overjoyed to see win the big one for the first time. First of all, obviously, the usual point about "the big one" not having the same effect because there are indeed two "big ones" has to be made, and it was no doubt a bigger deal when somebody won the title when there was only THE World Title, but that is not the point I'm making here. Not many young guys in WWE stand out, and the ones who do show promise are heels (Miz, Ziggler, Swagger). The faces seem to all be lumbered with the same boring cookie cutter "nice guy" gimmick and are not allowed to develop a character of their own, meaning fans just don't care about them. I just think it's a shame that there are no young faces who the fans are really behind, and that will hurt WWE sooner or later.

I guess what I'm saying is we need a face with "attitude" coming through.

This is why I feel that the majority of fans are now starting to cling to Randy Orton, the problem is, is that Orton is already a main eventer and has won the WWE championship multiple times. He's not a new face in the main event scene, which is what won the Monday Night Wars. The problem is the WWE have the same people in the main event scene that were there 5 years ago, while the mid-card has changed and rotated.

You have some face characters that are developed, but they're not given the time or exposure to further develop themselves into main event level stars in the eyes of the fans.

Why not turn Jack Swagger into a badass take no prisoners face? How about MVP become the black Steve Austin? Why isn't Evan Bourne pushed as the WWE's new Charismatic Enigma? How come Christian hasn't been given the opportunity to reign supreme as the 'Instant Classic'?

The fans are trying to tell the WWE they want something different. They have the parts, they just need to start using them better.

Or else those butts in the seats wont be there much longer.

Great thread, Tommy.

Underdog

Status

Something has always gone wrong with some of the younger talented wrestlers, or vince just has not given them the ultimate push, I geuss. Back in 05' it was Carlito, i felt, was really a big star in the making and for whatever reasons has got depushed. And Mr. Kennedy was a big star in the making too but then his problems hit.

Yooooo Mang

Status

You bring up a good point about Carlito...he was getting megapushed and then it halted and now they just seem to use him as a lower midcarder to push the Main faces....and they flip him from heel to face every other week....

Thread Information