Thread: Football Books

Tommy Got Hacked

Football Books

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Status

Re: Football Books

I'm slowly re-reading "The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football" by David Goldplatt. Interesting read.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

I generally stick to ones about Stoke, She Stood There Laughing & ...She Laughed No More by Stephen Foster are the only ones I think non Stoke fans would find intresting.

I read a Brian Clough book years ago, but I'm not sure if it was the one previously mentioned. Others worth a read were Psycho, the Stuart Pearce biog, (although it should be grossly out of date by now) and The Way It Was, the Stanley Matthews book.

I went through a phase of reading hooligan books, that was until I realized they were all the same, and shit.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

wut

Status

I read a book about a bloke who followed the Liechenstein national team around for a year, and I swear to God, it is one of the best books I have ever read. Fascinating stuff. I can't think of the name at the moment, but I'll post it once I've found it.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

I've read David Beckham's one, not sure why. It was quite interesting though tbh.

I am a Liverpool fan!

FFS Calm Doon

Status
      Country                    UK

Autobiographies:
    Barry Ferguson: Was good read at the time and was fun to read the thoughts of one of my all time hero's and to read what was basically a grovelling apology about why left to go to Blackburn. Funny thing was soon as this book came out he had a massive fall out with Paul Le Guen and we all wanted to read about that lol

Arthur Numan: Again another one of my hero's and one of the last truly world class players i got to see at Ibrox. Was really interesting to read about his time playing in Holland and how much aggro he got when he decided to leave PSV for The Rangers.

Paul Gascoigne: A player i never got to see pull on the blue jersey in the flesh but was still one of the first Rangers players i remember pretending to be when i was a wee boy and was a great insight into the man.

Roy Keane: A player I've never liked but had to read it after all the controversy as much as i despise the guy it was a tremendous book.

George Best: Was great reading about the original champagne player in his prime.

Jim Baxter: A player i really wish i seen play the game was a biography as it was written after his death was still a decent book wish i could of read his own thoughts however.

Historical/Reflective:
    Its Rangers for me?: A social look at Rangers supporters by different fans including Journalists/Politicians/Players/Actors/comedians/normal fans and the Grand master of the Orange lodge of Scotland lol. Created a lot of controversy at the time and created more questions than it answered tbh.

Helicopter Sunday: A short paper back about the fans story on the last day of the 2005 season was a fun read.

The road to Barcelona: A look back at Rangers victorious 1972 Cup winner's cup win.

Endless love: A St.Mirren book written about the club and the fans was ok but it seemed to spend a lot of time bashing Rangers and Celtic which is not surprising tbh.

WWWYKI!

Status
      Country                    uk_wales=Wales

I've read absoultely loads but the ones that stick out in my mind are Steve Claridge and Bobby Robson's ones. Claridge's being as it was mostly full of lower league tales and Robson from a historical standpoint

Rising Above...

Status

I’ve read a load of autobiographies of footballers, and your best bet is to wait until someone’s retired first before reading a book of theirs. Ryan Giggs’ book was probably the worst autobiography I’ve ever read.

Of the books that have been mentioned I would echo the statements that Roy Keanes, Gazza’s and Sir Alex Fergusons books are all worth reading. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another Sir Alex Ferguson book come out after he’s retired. I imagine there’d more stories in the period between his last book and his retirement than there would be in most other footballers autobiographies.

wut

Status

Stamping Grounds: Liechtenstein's Quest for the World Cup

That's the one. Read it, seriously.

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mark~ View Post
    Stamping Grounds: Liechtenstein's Quest for the World Cup

That's the one. Read it, seriously.
    Thanks Mark, I will defiantly check that one out. I've been on the look out for a football book that isn't an autobiography.

Thread Information