View Poll Results: Would you approve of a playoff determining who gets the 4th CL place?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 57.14%
  • No

3 42.86%

Thread: Coming Soon: Champions League Playoffs?

Tommy Got Hacked

Coming Soon: Champions League Playoffs?

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Re: Coming Soon: Champions League Playoffs?

I voted no.

I can understand why "smaller" clubs would want this as it increases their chances of getting into the CL, as well as a little more revenue. Revenue being the real reason the PL would be considering doing this imo.

However, the league is a fair representation of who deserves to be fourth after the year, and so whoever is fourth should be given the final spot. The 38 games in the year shows who the top four are, so why add another few games? Stupid if you ask me.

And he scores goals...!

Tommy Got Hacked

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Would you still love to see it if United came fourth? lol

I wonder if they'd be doing legs. If so, it'd probably still be the team that comes fourth that gets the spot.

If not, then it'd be so unfair as on the day any team can win out of the top 7, pretty much.

And he scores goals...!

Tommy Got Hacked

Rising Above...

Status

I’d only like to see it if they reduced the league to 18 teams. The fixture list is already congested as it is. To add 3 more games into a season wouldn’t make sense when the managers are complaining there’s too many games.

Also essentially you’re in a play off, to play in a play off for the Champions League, as you still have to qualify to get into the Champions League group stages anyway. It would make more sense in my opinion to let the winners of the League Cup or FA Cup gain entry into the Champions League.

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

I like it, it's called the Champions League, something that teams in 2nd, 3rd & 4th aren't. It's probably never going to effect Man Utd and it won't effect Chelsea for years, so I don't see the big deal, Arsenal & Liverpool seem expendable for the sake of making the top of the league more intresting. It's no different than play-offs in regular divisions, some teams have done well enough to finish in 3rd, but they can't complain if they don't have what it takes to finish a job and they lose a play-off final.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Tommy Got Hacked

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

I voted yes, but having read through this thread I think my mind has been changed. It would be tough for the teams to play an extra 3 games - and what if the team that finishes fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh was in the final of the champions league/europa league/fa cup that year as well? It would be even harder to fit them in and the players would be getting very tired. And then the addition of a world cup year would make it pretty much impossible for the players to handle (at this stage of the season).

I am a Liverpool fan!

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Scenario.

Arsenal have a terrible end to the Premiership season this year and finish fourth in the league thus forcing them into the playoffs, they get to the final of the playoffs only to lose to Spurs, the week after they win the Champions League the week after thus getting the fourth spot anyway(the rules changed after 2005 that if a team from outside the top four would win the Champions league then they would take the fourth placed teams spot) and making the whole thing pointless.

Also where are you going to fit all these games in?(I assume it would be a two legged semi final and the final would be at Wembley)

The teams involved could be in the FA Cup final or one of the European final and also in a World Cup year theres even less time at the end of the season.

So I would say no.

The Original Situation

Status

Now at the risk of sounding like a selfish fan, Im not going to hop on board with the whole "the poor players will have to play more games" argument...they can handle it.

Of course I would love to see it, as it gives the middle of the table something to push for late in the season.

Rising Above...

Status

I saw a bit on Sky Sports news today and if they did go with the play off idea, it might not be like the football league play offs. The proposal was: 4th placed team would automatically go into the final (and home advantage), then 6th played 7th for a chance to play the 5th placed team (highest ranked side would have home advantage). Seems like a fairer way to go about it, but it's still a flawed concept in my eyes (see Crockers excellent example).

Thread Information