Thread: I like WCW 2000/2001

Sweet Meat

Status

I like WCW 2000/2001

What's wrong with me?

Now hear me out, obviously it had A LOT of flaws. And I mean more mid to late 2000. Not so much the beginning. And yes, it still had a lot of flaws but I find myself really enjoying some of what I see. Guys like Storm, Mike Awesome, etc. being pushed, the Filthy Animals, The Natural Born Thrillers, 3 Count, the Jung Dragons, etc. keeps the shows generally fun.

Now obviously the booking was still poor, there were ridiculous on a pole matches (watching New Blood Rising... Judy Bagwell on a pole match? ) and the worst, which turns me off a lot, the terrible commentary. Not to say the commentators themselves were terrible, but they constantly threw around the word mark, high spots,storylines, etc. and consistently broke kayfabe which really made it awful.

But all in all looking back, I find myself enjoying it way more than I did back then. Does anyone else like anything about the final days of WCW or am I going to be alone in this?

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Re: I like WCW 2000/2001

I'd say that 2001 was fairly good after a couple years of terrible wrestling. It may have not been as good as the successful years of Nitro, but it wasn't a major step down in quality. Lance Storm, Jung Dragons, 3 Count, Mike Awesome (Original and Team Canada), Mysterio and Kidman and others excelled. The main problem at the time was that the fans already gave up.

Sweet Meat

Status

Plus there was so much internal chaos to boot. Maybe had they had money and Bischoff could have owned it and kept a TV deal, the entire landscape could have been different. Disappointing.

It's just the terrible shoot stuff that killed it for me, as far as my enjoyment goes. At the time it went over my head but now I see Goldberg leave mid match, commentators say how he wouldn't go up for the Jackknife being unprofessional, just ugh.

Who ever would think that could work?

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Curtain Jerker

Status

I don't think you're crazy at all, I own all the 2000/2001 PPVs on DVD, and I think people forget that the quality of the in-ring wrestling didn't actually suffer, and was probably still better than WWE. But as somebody said above, it's all the other crap, the shooting etc. that ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidHeat View Post
    I don't think you're crazy at all, I own all the 2000/2001 PPVs on DVD, and I think people forget that the quality of the in-ring wrestling didn't actually suffer, and was probably still better than WWE. But as somebody said above, it's all the other crap, the shooting etc. that ruined it.
    Are we watching the same WCW? There may have been some good action near the end, but the quality went downhill drastically once the Radicalz left. Even when things got interesting again at the end of 2000, it wasn't as good as WCW was at the peak of the Monday Night Wars. Even with the WWE dropping in quality at the end of 2000 (Before picking up again in 2001), they were still a lot better than WCW.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by K3T View Post
    What's wrong with me?

Now hear me out, obviously it had A LOT of flaws. And I mean more mid to late 2000. Not so much the beginning. And yes, it still had a lot of flaws but I find myself really enjoying some of what I see. Guys like Storm, Mike Awesome, etc. being pushed, the Filthy Animals, The Natural Born Thrillers, 3 Count, the Jung Dragons, etc. keeps the shows generally fun.

Now obviously the booking was still poor, there were ridiculous on a pole matches (watching New Blood Rising... Judy Bagwell on a pole match? ) and the worst, which turns me off a lot, the terrible commentary. Not to say the commentators themselves were terrible, but they constantly threw around the word mark, high spots,storylines, etc. and consistently broke kayfabe which really made it awful.

But all in all looking back, I find myself enjoying it way more than I did back then. Does anyone else like anything about the final days of WCW or am I going to be alone in this?
    You're not alone at all. I loved WCW! Especially 2000-2001. You have tons of new talent being pushed and brought in. The storylines were out there but the in-ring action was awesome! It really saddens me that Bischoff wasn't able to purchase the company.

To horrorfan_1986:

I imagine we are watching the same WCW but we just look for different things in wrestling. I'd rather watch Lance Storm and Mike Awesome then say the Dudley Boyz.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Indy Talent

Status

I always liked WCW, but to say the in-ring action didn't suffer is something i can't agree with.

Once Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko and Saturn left you lost four of the best wrestlers in that company. You look at the roster after they left, and it just a shame compared to what it should have been. The matches typically weren't given more than four minutes, usually. The main event was usually the exception. But, when you have a guy like Ralphus wrestling, the wrestling portion of the show drastically went down.

Ralphus, Dale Tolberg, Tank Abbott, Jim Duggan, The Cat (good talker, poor wrestler) and really at the time the Natural Born Thrillers were lackluster.

Guys like Lance Storm and Mike Awesome were good additions, but the ridiculous gimmicks that Awesome was given killed him for me. Most of WCW roster in 2000 were under performing or just didn't have "it" at that time.

2001 was a big improvement, actually, the last Nitro of 2000 was a damn good program. Sure they were getting better, but WWF/E was far better at the time.

I actually find WCW 2000 enjoyable because of Jarrett/Booker and Vince Russo. Russo could book himself as one hell of an enjoyable heel character.

Thread Information