Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Six Nations Discussion

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    us=United States

2010 Six Nations Discussion

Who do you see winning it all? How do you like your country's chances?

I'll finally be able to watch some live top-level rugby now that I found a pub nearby (Baltimore) showing the matches.

Indy Talent

Status

Re: Six Nations 2010?

The fixtures for Ireland are hard this year with France and England away but im fully confident BOD can lead us to 2 grand slams in a row

Rising Above...

Status

Re: 2010 Six Nations Discussion

I was planning to create a discussion thread for this seasons Six Nations tournament, so I’ll just rename this as our discussion thread.

I love the 6 Nations. For me it means weekends spent in pubs and clubs watching back to back rugby whilst getting absolutely hammered. I’ve got tickets for Wales vs. France on the third weekend of the Championship, and am working on getting tickets for the Scotland (sold out) and Italy games. Hopefully I can get tickets to at leas one of those two.

I think it’s going to be a close tournament again this year, and with the World Cup only a year and a half or so away, teams will be looking forward to that in terms of how they play and their team selections.

As usual I always try and preview what I think each nation will do during the tournament, so here’s what I think will happen this year:

England: The jury is still well and truly out on Martin Johnson as team manager, and this tournament will be the making or breaking of him as boss. England were pretty poor performance wise during the autumn internationals, and they will be looking to improve drastically. They do have some quality players in their side, and on any given day they could give anyone a game. Englands’ pack look a little weak, especially the front 5, but if they can sort that out, they have the backs to trouble anyone. They’ll probably finish middle of the pack.

France: My favourites for the tournament. Traditionally the year following a Lions tour the French do well, so I’m going to stick with that theory. They have 3 clubs left in the Heineken Cup and have generally looked strong over the last year. The only worry I’d have with them is that they haven’t got an established outside half – no one to stamp their authority on the game and boss it. If they don’t win the tournament then whoever beats them will.

Ireland: The Irish had a fabulous 2009, picking up a Grand Slam, and going undefeated during the Autumn Internationals. They now have the right blend of youth and experience in the squad for them to become a dominant force in world rugby. Declan Kidney has done a good job with the players he’s had, but this season they will be the team to beat. It’ll be interesting to see how they cope with the favourites tag. Their game away in France will possibly be the title decider, if they can win that, then they’ll probably take back to back titles. I don’t think they’ll grab another grand slam though.

Italy: Once again the Italians will be battling against the wooden spoon. Sergio Parisse will miss the tournament through injury and that will be a huge blow for them. But at least it give another member of their squad a chance at getting man of the match! I’ve heard they have somewhat of a flamboyant Australian outside half called Craig Gower who is a bit of a character. It’ll be interesting to see how he performs. I expect Italy to finish 6th once again.

Scotland: The tag dark horses always seems to be thrown around with Scotland. Both Edinburgh and Glasgow have performed really well in this years Magners League, but they haven’t replicated that success in the Heineken Cup. I think they have a shot at beating Wales and England, also they might be able to catch France cold on the opening weekend, but I wouldn’t bet on that.

Wales: We had a disappointing Autumn International series. We’d hoped for a win over a Southern Hemisphere side, but despite running the All Blacks close, we got outclassed by Australia. Tries have been hard to come by, we’ve lacked that cutting edge that won up 2 grand slams in ‘05 and ’08. If Gatland persists with us playing a kicking game then I can’t see us having too much success. We’re at our best when we unleash the shackles and throw the ball around. Hopefully we’re allowed to do this and play some running rugby. I think a Triple Crown is the best we can hope for. I reckon we’ll get third place overall.

Rising Above...

Status

The teams have been announced for this weekends matches:

Ireland vs. Italy (14:30, Sat 6th Feb)

Ireland: 15 R Kearney, 14 T Bowe, 13 B O'Driscoll (Captain), 12 G D'Arcy, 11 A Trimble, 10 R O'Gara, 9 T O'Leary, 8 J Heaslip, 7 D Wallace, 6 K McLaughlin, 5 P O'Connell, 4 D O'Callaghan, 3 J Hayes, 2 J Flannery, 1 C Healy.
    Replacements: 16 R Best, 17 T Court, 18 L Cullen, 19 S O'Brien, 20 E Reddan, 21 P Wallace, 22 K Earls

Italy: To Be Announced

Referee: Romain Poite (France)

England vs. Wales (17:00, Sat 6th Feb)

England: 15 D Armitage, 14 M Cueto, 13 M Tait, 12 R Flutey, 11 U Monye, 10 J Wilkinson, 9 D Care, 1 T Payne, 2 D Hartley, 3 D Wilson, 4 S Shaw, 5 S Borthwick (capt), 6 J Haskell, 7 L Moody, 8 N Easter.
    Replacements: 16 S Thompson, 17 D Cole, 18 L Deacon, 19 S Armitage, 20 P Hodgson, 21 T Flood, 22 B Foden.

Wales: 15 L Byrne, 14 T James, 13 J Hook, 12 J Roberts, 11 S Williams, 10 S Jones, 9 G Cooper, 1 G Jenkins, 2 G Williams, 3 A Jones, 4 A-W Jones, 5 L Charteris, 6 A Powell, 7 M Williams, 8 R Jones (capt).
    Replacements: 16 H Bennett, 17 P James, 18 B Davies, 19 J Thomas, 20 R Rees, 21 A Bishop, 22 L Halfpenny.

Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)

Scotland vs. France (15:00, Sun 7th Feb)

Scotland: 15 C Paterson, 14 T Evans, 13 M Evans, 12 G Morrison, 11 S Lamont, 10 P Godman, 9 C Cusiter (captain), 1 A Dickinson, 2 R Ford, 3 M Low, 4 N Hines, 5 A Kellock, 6 K Brown,7 J Barclay, 8 J Beattie.
    Replacements: 16 S Lawson, 17 A Jacobsen, 18 R Gray, 19 A MacDonald, 20 R Lawson, 21 A Grove, 22 H Southwell.

France: 15 C Poitrenaud, 14 B Fall, 13 M Bastareaud, 12 Y Jauzion, 11 A Rougerie, 10 F Trinh-Duc, 9 M Parra, 1 T Domingo, 2 W Servat, 3 N Mas, 4 L Nallet, 5 P Pape, 6 T Dusautoir, 7 F Ouedraogo, 8 I Harinordoquy (Captain).
    Replacements: 16 D Szarzewski, 17 L Ducalcon,18 J Pierre, 19 J Bonnaire, 20 J Elissalde, 21 D Marty, 22 V Clerc, 23 S Marconnet.

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)

Chikara Trainee

Status

Well, now it looks like we're going to get a crapload of snow on friday/saturday, and I might not be able to make it to the pub saturday morning (If they even open). And the worst part is, I've been saving up my money and looking forward to it, and I just knew something like this would happen.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

I think that Ireland are gonna win, I don't really follow rugby outside of the English team, but from what I have heard Ireland are looking pretty good at the moment.

I am a Liverpool fan!

FFS Calm Doon

Status
      Country                    UK

If Scotland beat England nothing else matters

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybiggs View Post
    Well, now it looks like we're going to get a crapload of snow on friday/saturday, and I might not be able to make it to the pub saturday morning (If they even open). And the worst part is, I've been saving up my money and looking forward to it, and I just knew something like this would happen.
    I hope you get to see some of the games over the weekend. It does fill me with joy knowing that there are people in the US who appreciate the great game of Rugby.

Here's my predictions for the weekends games:

Ireland 37-09 Italy
    You can’t really look past Ireland for this game. They should take this convincingly after a tight first 20mins. I’m expecting a few tries as well, maybe about 5. You couldn’t really pick a better game to start the defence of your title.

England 17-22 Wales
    I’m not too sure what to expect here. I think it’ll be a tight game much like last years encounter at the Millennium Stadium. There won’t be too many tries either, so expect a kicking duel between Johnny Wilkinson and Stephen Jones. Wales were delt a huge blow with Gethin Jenkins getting injured on Thursday, so I don’t see Wales dominating as much as I thought they would up front. I’ve got my fingers crossed we can extend our 3 year unbeaten run against the English.

Scotland 15-34 France
    I have to go with France in this one. The French are usually vulnerable away from home, but this season their club sides have dominated in European competition where as the Scottish sides haven’t been able to recreate their league form into the European competition. I see it being a tight game up unitll 60mins, and then the French will pull away in the final 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall
    If Scotland beat England nothing else matters
    We have a song for this occasion...

&fs=1" width="425" height="329">&fs=1" />">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

FFS Calm Doon

Status

We prefer doe a deer

Rising Above...

Status

Before I head off for an afternoon of rugby and alcohol, ahead of this afternoons big match I will leave you with these famous words:

"Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our houses and they only live in them for a fortnight every 12 months. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English - and that's who you are playing this afternoon." - Phil Bennett (1977)

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Cumine Ireland!

I fancy us to win the title, back to back Grand Slams is going to be very tricky though. France away is going to be very tough.

But really, Ireland have the best squad, and team out of the six right now. Hoping Sexton is back playing soon though. He's definiltey our best out-half now ahead of Rog.

And he scores goals...!

Chikara Trainee

Status

Well, for those wondering, I'm not exaggerating when I say my neighborhood looks like Siberia right now; the snow in the alley is up to my bumper, so I'm not going anywhere.

I could take or leave watching Ireland pummel Italy, but the second match should be pretty competitive. I just hope they plow my street in a timely fashion tonight/tomorrow morning.

@ Phantom: not only do I appreciate Rugby, I played briefly last spring, and hope to resume next year.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Good win for us today.

Not sure why everyone expected a total walkover. We've only beat Italy by 5 and then 3 points the past two years, so it just shows how Italy are ever improving.

And he scores goals...!

Chikara Trainee

Status

But given the way the way the game began, I think they missed the chance to really step on the throttle and lay down the smackdown. Could cost them in the point differential.

FFS Calm Doon

Status

Yeah the Irish where cruising today and i expect them to get better as the tournament goes on, not that they where poor today.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Fortunately, my mom saw that England vs Wales was on BBC America, so I saw the second half.

Wales was just way too sloppy, and it cost them. Phantom, what's your opinion of Gatland?

Rising Above...

Status

I thought Ireland were a bit rusty yesterday, which can always happen at the beginning of a tournament. The one thing I would be displeased at if I were an Irish fan is the fact that Italy succeeded in lowering Ireland to playing like them. Italy slowed the ball down so much around the ruck area, the game became pedestrian. In the second half the Irish started doing the same. If Ireland want to kick on and compete with the Southern Hemisphere sides then they need to get out of that habit right away. Not the greatest of games to start the tournament off, but the Irish got the win they deserved. I do hope Italy bring a bit more to the table next weekend. Otherwise it’s going to be a chore to watch their games.

Do I have to talk about the Welsh performance (or lack of)?! I think the media are going way over the top signalling out Alun Wyn Jones. He was not the sole reason we lost the game yesterday, he was only just a part of it. It was a stupid thing to do, but we all do stupid things from time to time. He’ll learn from that, but there’s no need to chastise him.

I still can’t understand why Gareth Cooper stayed on so long. He was the obviously our weak link, his disruption was terrible throughout the game. Now I watch the Cardiff Blues week in week out, and Ritchie Rees is the most in form scrum half in Wales at the moment, and he’s keeping Cooper out of that side, so I’m baffled why Cooper got the nod. Rees has to start next week against Scotland.

Losing in the opening game is always hard, and it’s even worse when its against England. The performance in the last 20mins made things a bit better as it showed me that we were capable of creating chances and scoring tries, something we haven’t looked like doing so far this season. It can only get better next week against Scotland. Maybe now we’ve lost a game some people will return their tickets and let me have one!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybiggs
    Wales was just way too sloppy, and it cost them. Phantom, what's your opinion of Gatland?
    This is a hard one. During his first year everything he touched turned to gold, so we all instantly fell in love with him. He is the right man for the job as he won’t suffer fools and almost always does whats best for the team. Then, at times, some of the stuff he does baffles me. We’ve resorted to playing a kicking game recently which we are no good at. We need to play to our strength which is throwing the ball around and playing rugby – which you saw glimpses of in the second half of yesterdays game. Also the thing that infuriates me the most is that he tries to play “mind games” with other nations before we play them, which almost never works. Last season he said that Wales hates Ireland the most and that they are bottlers, which simply isn’t true, we hate England the most! And then he said New Zealand had lost it’s aura and we were going to beat them… which we didn’t! I think he’s learned his lesson though, because he didn’t say anything stupid before this weeks game.

Also it's great to hear your a rugby player as well. America could become a decent side if enough people took up the game.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    Also it's great to hear your a rugby player as well. America could become a decent side if enough people took up the game.
    I say if USA rugby can build the sport up to be even as popular as Soccer is here, we'd have a world class squad, given the sheer size of the talent pool.

Anyway, now that the first round is over, which side impressed you the most? Even though a lot of it was due to Wales' costly errors, the fact that England were able to get across the try line and put 30 points on the board against an non-Italian/Scottish opponent should do a little to quiet the grumblings heard around the end of the year int'ls.

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybiggs
    Anyway, now that the first round is over, which side impressed you the most? Even though a lot of it was due to Wales' costly errors, the fact that England were able to get across the try line and put 30 points on the board against an non-Italian/Scottish opponent should do a little to quiet the grumblings heard around the end of the year int'ls.
    I have to say, I was really impressed with France today. They may not have scored an awful lot of points, but they had a defined pattern about their play and they knew exactly what they were going to do. I can’t say I got that impression from any of the other sides this weekend. They looked more like a team than any of the others - and thats important during long tournamnets. Next weeks game against Ireland is going to be huge – and whoever wins it will probably go on to win the tournament (even at this early stage).

Scotland surprised me a bit. I didn’t expect that much offence and creativity from them, they did seem to be able to break through the French defence, but as soon as they did it usually resulted in a mistake or lack of composure. One thing I will say, is when Chris Patterson plays at outside half the attacking threat they pose quickly dies. Having said that, off the back of their performance today I believe the Wales/Scotland match will be even tighter than I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceSells
    But really, Ireland have the best squad, and team out of the six right now. Hoping Sexton is back playing soon though. He's definiltey our best out-half now ahead of Rog.
    I thought O'Gara had a good game yesterday. I'd rather him starting in Paris next week ahead of Sexton. But I did hear today that ROG is a doubt for next week, so Sexton might get the nod anyway.

It's a good debate though - as Sexton is defiantly the future for Ireland at 10. I'd say Sexton starts at least 2 games in the championship this year. When the time comes for ROG to step aside, it will be strange seeing Ireland without either O'Gara or Stringer. They both seem to have been around for years.

Rising Above...

Status

Oh I forgot to mention this is my last post. Did anyone notice what Mathieu Bastareaud did after he scored against Scotland yesterday? Seems apt for a Wrestling Forum:

You Can't See Me?!

Thread Information