Thread: The 'Voice of Rugby' Bill McLaren Passes Away

Rising Above...

Status

The 'Voice of Rugby' Bill McLaren Passes Away

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    Commentator Bill McLaren, known popularly as the "voice of rugby", has died at the age of 86.

Mr McLaren, from Hawick, retired in 2002 and was appointed OBE, CBE and MBE for services to the sport. He began commentating on BBC radio in 1953 and moved on to television six years later.

He went on to earn the respect of players, fans, and spectators by being the best-researched commentator rugby had ever seen.

He died at 1030 GMT in the community hospital in Hawick in the Scottish Borders.

Former Scotland rugby captain Gavin Hastings, who worked with him, said: "First and foremost, Bill was a very proud and passionate Scot but such was his professionalism that you would never really have known that.

"He always remained very unbiased in his commentary and I think that that was unquestionably one of his endearing qualities. He was a wonderful commentator and he just brought the world of rugby into so many people's homes."
    I know there aren’t a lot of Rugby Union fans on here, but I think this news story deserves a thread of its own. Bill McLaren was a legendary commentator, he was the voice of rugby, and I felt quite sad when I heard of his passing this afternoon.

He’s one of the very best to have commentated on any sport here in the UK and he will be greatly missed. Fans, players and coaches all respected him, and that’s something rare these days. Some of todays’ commentators could learn a thing or two by listening to old tapes of Bill McLaren calling a rugby match.

RIP Bill.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Re: The 'Voice of Rugby' Bill McLaren Passes Away

I'm not a huge fan of Rugby Union but I follow the England team in the 6 nations etc.

RIP Bill

I am a Liverpool fan!

FFS Calm Doon

Status
      Country                    UK

Re: The 'Voice of Rugby' Bill McLaren Passes Away

one of the best in any sport

RIP Bill

Thread Information