Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: General Non Football Sports Chat

Rising Above...

Status

Re: General Non Football Sports Chat

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Apparently, the English Rugby bosses have decided that after 2011 if you dont play in England you have no chance of getting picked for the national team. Seriously? You're going to outright ban players who play in a different country regardless of their talent and ability?
    It's a practice used in New Zealand, Australia and South Afirca. Wales do this too, although they do select players who play in England, however they aren't automatic first choices, and they are strongly recommended to stay in Wales if they want a future in the national side.

The reasons England are doing this is because the bulk of the squad are centrally contracted, and the clubs release them often for team get togethers and training sessions outside the international dates set by the IRB. There is also an agreement between the clubs 'Premier Rugby' and the National team 'RFU' which grants players release outside the international dates - with a lot of players going to France, the clubs out there are not obliged to release players for these dates, so in order for the national side to improve and progress they are putting these measures in to ensure the national side has the best preperation to be successful in the big competitions.

It's all in the interests of the national side.

God

Status

New Zealand have great players in pretty much every position. England dont and telling players that they arent allowed play in another country if they want to be picked is probably illegal. Imagine telling Ronaldo ten years ago "We know you want to play for Man United, but if you want to play for Portugal you cant leave the country." Would he be anywhere near the player he is now if he wasent allowed play in a different league? It's not identical, but players will only improve if they are playing against teams with different styles more than if they playing teams with a very similar style. Having players play in France, against French players, will surely only help when it comes to playing France.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Rising Above...

Status

It’s not fluke that the best 3 sides in the world are teams who only select players who only play in their own country. It allows team training sessions to be more regular and it gives the national coach more flexibility to work with his players. There are less restrictions placed on the coach and he can then get on with coaching the players and not having to worry about not having players released from their clubs.

The National Unions have far more (and better) control in rugby than they do in football. It’s all geared towards making the national side better. If the teams are full of home nationals, then the national union will then invest more in the teams to ensure they keep developing players. In football you have the clubs dictating to the national sides when players can represent their country – in rugby it’s the other way round – as it should be. It’s no good for England having players play in France and then when it comes to the internationals, the French club only releasing them 5 days before the game when the rest of the national squad (based in England) have had 2 weeks to prepare – and that’s what is happening at the moment.

Also nowadays there are plenty of cross border competitions so players regularly play against players from other countries. Almost half the season is made up of playing against teams from different countries. The Magners League for example is made up of teams from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy. Different styles and cultures of rugby meeting each and every week. English and French clubs play regularly against each other in European competition too – I’m pretty sure every team in the English top division is involved in either the Heineken Cup or the Amilin Challenge Cup so they have exposure to playing French, Welsh, and Irish teams regularly during the season, so it’s not really strange for them to adapt to playing different countries.

I have no problem at all with it. They will let the odd player go and play abroad, just like Wales have, as it’s easier to come to an agreement with one club, but when you have half a dozen players playing abroad that’s when the problems start – and this is the situation England now face themselves in as a good chunk of the players are choosing to play in France. The RFU should be commended. They’ve seen a problem and they’re doing their best to fix it.

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Gotta agree with Phantom on this. As stated, many other teams have been doing it for years now, plus, it protects the national game. God used the Ronaldo example, but imagine how much better the English football team would be if the vast majority of players in the premier league were English?

God

Status

Gah, nearly up €500 on a €5 bet.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

For A Better WC

Status
      Country                    England

Who did you back in the national then God?

God

Status

Santa's Son at 100/1, he finished sixth or seventh after leading for most of the race.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

For A Better WC

Status

I didn't watch the race because I was listening to the albion game. I had a few quid on Oscar Time but only because someone told me he was the favourite, I know nothing about horse racing, but I have a flutter on the national. Got 10/1 on him to win, should have gone each way because he finished 2nd

God

Status

I dont either, I just picked a name cause everyone else was doing one
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

God

Status

I hate golf. Wanted to bet on McIlroy and Woods but didnt get a chance before it started.

Current leaderboard:
    1. Rory McIlroy
    2. Charl Schwartzel
    3. Tiger Woods

The Real Rock N' Rolla

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

You're glad you didn't now lol.

I am so gutted. I'm a huge Rory fan, met with him a few times and he's such a nice guy. Really sad to see how he collapsed.

Hopefully he can come back strong from it.

And he scores goals...!

God

Status

It's terrible but I was so happy to see he blew it, awful finish for him.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Rising Above...

Status

I picked Schwatzel and Day prior to the final round, went each way on both... to say I had a smile on my face at the end of play was an under-statment.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Any darts fans on here? Plenty question whether it's a sport or not, but I really enjoy watching it personally.

Premier League finals tonight, should be exciting.

It's Taylor vs Lewis and Barney vs Anderson for those that don't know.

Fancy Anderson to beat Barney handy enough, but Taylor vs Lewis should be very good. Lewis hasn't been throwing as well recently, whilst Taylor has found his form again, so he's bound to be a favourite. Lewis is the only man who's defeated Taylor in the PL this year though!

And he scores goals...!

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Dunno if anyone was watching that match, but there goes my theory. Lewis was awesome there, whilst Taylor just didn't look like his old self once again.

Got to question if Taylor will ever get back to the dominance he once had. Can't see it personally.

Hoping for a World Final rematch now in the final! C'mon Anderson!

And he scores goals...!

For A Better WC

Status

I was watching PS, always like a good game of darts, it's a sport in my eyes.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Got what I wanted anyways!

Going to be hard for Anderson to beat Lewis based off their two performances, hope he does though. Not sure what it is about him but I really like Anderson and the way he interacts with the crowd.

And he scores goals...!

No voter.

Status

OOOOOOH Gary Gary, Gary Gary Gary Anderson!

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Should have known you'd enjoy that Marshall! So glad to see him win as well.

Love how he reacts when the English fans give him stick.

Hoping he can push on from this now and win a few more majors.

And he scores goals...!

No voter.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceSells View Post
    Should have known you'd enjoy that Marshall! So glad to see him win as well.

Love how he reacts when the English fans give him stick.

Hoping he can push on from this now and win a few more majors.
    A scot winning at Wembly is nothing new tbh.
    Last edited by Marshall; 05-20-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Thread Information