Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: General Non Football Sports Chat

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Re: General Non Football Sports Chat

Federer was just too good in the first two sets. Murray has chances in the 3rd but didn't take them. But nobody can beat Federer when he plays like that, he was awesome.

I am a Liverpool fan!

Rising Above...

Status

The dates for England's 2010/11 tour of Australia have been confirmed:

5-7 November: vs. Western Australia, Perth
    11-13 November: vs. South Australia, Adelaide
    17-20 November: vs. Australia A, Hobart

25-29 November: 1st Test, Brisbane
    3-7 December: 2nd Test, Adelaide

10-12 December: vs. Victoria, Melbourne

16-20 December: 3rd Test, Perth
    26-30 December: 4th Test, Melbourne
    3-7 January: 5th Test, Sydney

10 January: vs. Prime Minister's XI, Canberra

12 January: 1st Twenty20 international, Adelaide
    14 January: 2nd Twenty20 international, Melbourne

16 January:1st ODI, Melbourne
    21 January:2nd ODI, Hobart
    23 January:3rd ODI, Sydney
    26 January:4th ODI, Adelaide
    30 January:5th ODI, Brisbane
    2 February: 6th ODI, Sydney
    6 February: 7th ODI, Perth

Rising Above...

Status

Someones been a naughty boy

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    Snooker player Stephen Lee has been arrested following an investigation into suspicious betting patterns.

West Midlands Police confirmed that the player, from Trowbridge, Wiltshire, and ranked number 25 in the world, was arrested on Thursday.

A spokesman said: "A 35-year-old man from Wiltshire was arrested on Thursday 11 February on suspicion of cheating."

He said the arrest followed a joint operation with the Gambling Commission over concerns about betting patterns.

The father-of-four was once ranked fifth in the world.

Rising Above...

Status

JP to retire?

Former Crucible champion John Parrott is on the verge of quitting snooker after failing to qualify for next month's World Championship.

The 45-year-old lost 10-6 to Chinese teenager Anda Zhang in qualifying and slips out of the top 64 because of Jimmy White's 10-8 win over Mark Boyle.
    Parrott, the 1991 world champion, told the Daily Mail: "If I'm off the tour, it's fairly certain that I'll retire. I certainly won't play any lower down. If I lose my card, that's me gone."

He led Zhang 6-5 before the 18-year-old reeled off five straight frames to win 10-6.

"I've just lost in the World Championship and I'm not going to spit the dummy out," Parrott added. "But I don't enjoy the hours of practice any more."

It is not all doom and gloom for Parrott as there are still opportunities for players to be offered wild card entries to ranking tournaments by World Snooker.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

The likes of him, Steve Davies and Jimmy White should have retired a long time ago IMO.

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
    The likes of him, Steve Davies and Jimmy White should have retired a long time ago IMO.
    True, I pretty much thought they were all retired (bar Jimmy). It just seems as though they want one more crack at the World Championship. I was a little surprised to see Ken Doherty has had to qualify for this years event. On the plus side for them, if they don’t qualify for the finals, they’ve always got a job working for the Beeb to fall back on.

Rising Above...

Status

Another British player is going to try his hand at playing down under.

Wales number eight Gareth Delve is to join new franchise Melbourne Rebels for their debut Super 15 campaign. Melbourne have announced the Gloucester captain's signing on a two-year deal and he will join England fly-half Danny Cipriani in Australia next season.

"I am delighted to join the Melbourne Rebels for their entrance into Super Rugby in 2011," said the 27-year-old.

Delve, who rejected a Cardiff Blues offer, will leave for Australia in September for a February season start. The Cardiff-born forward is set to become the first Welshman to play in the 'Super Rugby' domestic competition that features the top franchises from New Zealand, South Africa and Australia.

"The opportunity to test myself alongside the best players in world rugby, in a competition I have grown up admiring, was one I couldn't refuse," he admits. "It has been an extremely difficult decision to make and I've weighed up my decision a million times. At times the Cardiff option was fantastic. I met the guys and saw the facilities and in many ways it was perfect for me. Also I had the opportunity to be available for the Welsh set-up and be a part of the training days - that was a huge carrot. But the reason the Melbourne option came to the fore is that in terms of opportunities that may come along in my career, this was one I had to take now or miss out on forever. I've always been someone who likes to take a chance, test myself in different environments so, in many ways, this is the bigger challenge and a chance I to progress as a player.”

But Delve did concede that staying at his current club Gloucester "were not an option."

"In January we tried to negotiate things at Gloucester," Delve told BBC Sport.

"But there wasn't a huge amount of flexibility and it was a sad decision and it disappointing that they were not an option. I had two fantastic opportunities and Melbourne was the one that was a once in a career decision. It is not for the money. It is the last factor in my reason to go out there. It is a good offer and have the opportunity to experience a fantastic place to make too many cutbacks. I always thought with the way Australian and New Zealand was funded, I thought I might have to take a cut to go over there but luckily that hasn't been in the case. But I've never been motivated by money in my career."

And Delve, who qualifies to play for England on residency grounds, cites his international allegiance as proof.

"My Welsh opportunity means a huge amount to me and chose not to play for England when they were being paid ten times more than Wales. It has never been about money and profile, it is about testing yourself and achieving things that other people haven't. A huge carrot for me is to be the first Welshman to play in the Super 15 and very few British players have gone over and achieved that. So the biggest carrot beyond the lifestyle and everything else is trying to make a success of myself over there and achieve a huge ambition."

"Having made this decision, my entire focus will remain on helping Gloucester Rugby to achieve the success that it so richly deserves," Delve said.

"It's a privilege to captain such a great club and such a fantastic group of guys and I will continue to be totally committed to the club for the remainder of the season."

Delve's decision to move to Melbourne will cast doubt over his Welsh international career as the Super 15 rugby season goes head-to-head with the Six Nations. But Rebels head coach Rod Maqueen told BBC Sport: "I would hope he still has the opportunity to play for Wales if needed.

"He would have an opportunity at some stage, if he is playing well enough, that Wales might look at him for the 2011 Rugby World Cup but that is up to the Welsh Rugby Union.

"However, we would encourage him to play for his country again."
    Melbourne are targeting big names in their rookie season and the new franchise have also reportedly been linked with former Australia captain Stirling Mortlock.
    But Macqueen - who inspired Australia to 1999 Rugby World Cup triumph in Wales - was pleased to seal the Delve deal.

"We've been talking to Gareth for a while now," he confirmed. And Gareth is exactly the sort of player and mentor we're after. He's a very good ball player who will certainly fit in well with the team."

Delve conceded working with Melbourne's inaugural coach Macqueen, one of Australia's most successful coaches, was a key factor in his decision to go Down Under.

"For Rod Macqueen to come out of retirement, this must be something special," said Delve.

“The chance to be involved with the building of a club from the ground up has great appeal. I'm looking forward to it immensely."
    This has come some what as a shock to me. With his Wales recall for the last 2 6 Nations matches I was sure his future lay in Wales, and with the Cardiff Blues. We will be losing Xavier Rush this summer to Ulster, so Delve would have been an ideal replacement.

Having said that, it's such a huge thing to be offered a deal to play in the best rugby competition around. Getting an opportunity to play for a Southern Hemisphere side rarely comes around, so I can't blame him for taking a shot at it.

Hopefully he continues to put in good performances down there, and stays injury free. I still think he has a slight chance of continuing to play for Wales. Logistically it would be a nightmare for him to be available for 6 Nations duty, but there's no reason why he can't be a part of the summer tours, autumn internationals and most importantly the World Cup.

All in all this does give me an extra reason to keep up to date with the Super 14/15 competition. Hopefully Delve does Wales proud!

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

No voter.

Status
      Country                    UK

Yeah me, was really looking forward to it today.

Fuck Wales.

Tommy Got Hacked

Rising Above...

Status

I'm going on Sunday... I can't freaking wait, should be a tremendous day of golf. I can't wait to see Tiger Woods play live. Gotta go and find some wet weather gear though I think!

I heard a stat that was crazy. Newport got 40% of it's average rainfall of the month of October in 1 day. Hammered down all day. We haven't had rain like this for ages. If only they played it last weekend, the weather was quite nice.

Tommy Got Hacked

Rising Above...

Status

What an awesome day at the Celtic Manor today, Europe ripped the Americans appart. It was the first time I've ever been to a golf event and I really enjoyed it. I saw every group play at least one hole so even though it wasn't a full days play I definatly got my monies worth - best bit is, as I had a Sunday ticket it allows me to attend tomorrow as well :D (gunna have to pull a sickie from work though).

Saw a few celebs, no A listers though. A few Welsh rugby players, Chris Evans doing 5Live reporting, Ruud Guillit, and the United legend that is David May!!

I can't wait for tomorrow - here's to another day of good golf!

Tommy Got Hacked

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Rage View Post
    Wish I could have been there. I saw the highlights and was following it all day. Great comeback by Europe.

Phantom maybe you can answer a question from somebody who is relatively new to golf. How are the matches decided? For example the singles matches for tomorrow. How is it decided who is facing who?
    For the single matches tomorrow each captain selects the order in which he wants his team to go out in - he does not know what his opposit captain has picked - they hand those lists into tournament officials and that is how the days play is selected.

Same goes for the foursomes and fourballs. Captains pick who they feel will play well together and put them in order. It's been slightly different at this years tournament because everyones played a foursome or four ball, usually one or two players don't play in those matches and just play the singles. Someone like Jimenez for example probably would have only played the singles if the competition hadn't been disrupted by the rain.

Tommy Got Hacked

Rising Above...

Status

Oh my word, yesterdays final day of the Ryder Cup was the best sporting event I've ever been to. There was so much drama and tension around the corse(Well worth pulling a sickie from work!!). To be on the 17th when the match was won is something I'll never forget. Awesome moment, and I never thought I'd get so emotionally involved in the game of golf! lol.

No one can ever tell me golf is boring again.

No voter.

Status
      Country                    UK

Exactly what i said when I was watching the last couple of holes.

Fantastic achievement by Monty and Co.

Tommy Got Hacked

God

Status

Apparently, the English Rugby bosses have decided that after 2011 if you dont play in England you have no chance of getting picked for the national team. Seriously? You're going to outright ban players who play in a different country regardless of their talent and ability?
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Thread Information