Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time For Benitez to Go?

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Time For Benitez to Go?

Everyone on here pretty much knows the terrible form Liverpool have been in so far this season. Out of the Championship league, Carling cup, FA cup in embarrassing fashion, 14 points points behind the leaders & Chances are we may not even make a top four finish. So Naturally the question on a lot of people's minds is "Is it time for Benitez to step down as Liverpool Manager"

What Do you guys think is it time for Liverpool to gain a new manager and who would you bring in to replace him or should Rafa still be given longer to try and prove to everyone that he has what it takes?

Status

Re: Time For Benitez to Go?

I always used to dismiss the assessment some fans made of Rafa that he's "too continental" and that Liverpool will always do better in Europe than the league with him. I have really expected them to take the next step. But they have obviously haven't, and without much money, will things get better? I can see the logic behind moving on from Rafa... but I question who the replacement is going to be. Are they going to get someone who will be better for the for the club in the long-term? Mourinho is an interesting possibility I've seen mentioned, but I'm just not sure about him with Pool...
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

God

Status

Who could they get to replace him? It doesnt seem a very attractive job right now. Fans are desperate for the League title so he will be under pressure to get off to a good start and the financial situation isnt all that great either. Barring a few players, the squad is pretty average too. That's a lot of negatives for a new manager to deal with. I wouldnt fire Benitez unless I had someone already lined up to replace him. But right now, I dont see anyone good enough to warrent sacking him because of a bad season.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

The EST of WC

Status

Well to be fair when you look over the past 6 seasons you can easily say we've done much better with him in Europe than we have in the league. Two finals & two quarter finals, not to mention our team was a lot weaker back in 2005 & 2007. But Yeah we've just seemed to take a backwards step over recent seasons. I mean i've stuck by him when a lot of people where calling for his head but with the way things are right now it's pretty hard to defend him. Mourhino Would be a great choice for us IMO but chances are he will just wait around for a Ferguson to retire and then take over the Manchester United spot. Guus Hiddink maybe? been a lot of talk around him possibility being a replacement.

Rising Above...

Status

I wouldn’t get rid of him just yet. The FA Cup would have been nice to get, but realistically 4th position in the league is more important to Liverpool. They’re still on course for that, despite today’s draw. Judge him at the end of the season – he’s guaranteed 4th spot, and if he doesn’t deliver, then it’s time to go. Getting rid of a manager in the middle of a season without a replacement lined up is never a wise thing to do. Besides, there aren’t too many candidates available at the moment. Kenny Dalglish, Jose Mourinho and Guus Hiddink all being talked about. For me Guus Hiddink is the only realistic choice to take over at Anfield and he won’t be available until the summer.

Besides, the majority of Liverpool fans would like to see the owners leave before Benitez. You’ve got to admire the Liverpool fans for backing Benitez at the end of todays game by chanting his name – other clubs fans’ would have had the knifes out long ago.

Ole!

Status

Only real problem is that it would cost too much to sack him, he only signed a new contract over the summer (i think) so having to pay all that compensation to him.

I can probably see him going in the summer but at the minute Liverpool will have to deal with him staying.

Covered in Blood

Status
      Country                    us=United States

You Brits go through coaches like clockwork. Maybe I'm completely ignorant but I wouldn't think coaches would have that big of an impact on a soccer match, it's just too quick of a game and relies more on reaction & instinct than strategy. Aren't they really just responsible for substitutions and signings? Blame the players, not the manager (and even then Liverpool's playing without their best so their underwhelming performances this year is a bit understandable).

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Ah Toe View Post
    You Brits go through coaches like clockwork. Maybe I'm completely ignorant but I wouldn't think coaches would have that big of an impact on a soccer match, it's just too quick of a game and relies more on reaction & instinct than strategy. Aren't they really just responsible for substitutions and signings? Blame the players, not the manager (and even then Liverpool's playing without their best so their underwhelming performances this year is a bit understandable).
    They do. To compare it to NFL football, they are usually like the General Manager, Head Head, and both Coordinators rolled into one. Its very much a tactical game and the formation selected and roles given to certain players can make a big difference on the success or failure of a side. Plus, buying and selling players is every bit as important as drafting and free agency is to North American sports. So yeah, they do play a huge role in the success of a club.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Think Your Greezy?

Status
      Country                    gb=Great Britain

You're gonna sack Benitez you need an instant replacement to come in and take the job straight away. Teams like Liverpool can't just be managerless for time being.

Tricky situation is, they sack him and get a new manager, but who is there? Don't sack him and its too late, they go without champions league football. That would be a the worst thing possible for Liverpool.

The EST of WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mikk View Post
    Only real problem is that it would cost too much to sack him, he only signed a new contract over the summer (i think) so having to pay all that compensation to him.

I can probably see him going in the summer but at the minute Liverpool will have to deal with him staying.
    Yeah thats one of the reasons he hasn't gone already really. I mean were already in huge debt and just can't afford to sink any further. I mean its a tricky situation and we really need champions league football and with the way we are playing i cant see us getting that maybe just scrape europa league if anything. Plus we do have talent in the team, some dont like him but kuyts a natural striker playing right mid and still gets a decent amount of goals why not play him up front, benayoun needs to start more often as does babel both talanted players he just really need to stop revolving the whole team around torres and gerrard

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

It will cost them at least £12m to replace him right now, due to the contract he signed last year. So I can't see them going for that.

I think they'll keep him to the end of this season regardless. If they fail to qualify for the Champions League next season then maybe they'll likely cave since the money they'll be losing will be even more than paying up his contract.

Personally I don't like the guy. I don't like his sarcasm and childishness in his post match interviews, he conveys the fact that he's under pressure when he does this and if I were a player I'd think him weak in those times.

I suppose they have a ready made temporary at least replacement at the club already with Kenny Dalglish being there, but he seems so supportive of Benitez....not sure he'd take it.
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

He's gotta go.

This was supposed to be "the year" for Liverpool after their run at the end of last season. Instead, it's been a complete failure on nearly all fronts. He's been given the time, and the money to make it happen. It's become obvious he hasn't got what it takes to lead Liverpool to the league title, which is the one trophy they want.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Personally I don't think it would help us if Rafa left. He has actually over-achieved since he has been here with the squad he has. Sure he makes some bad decisions over transfers etc but he has made some good ones too - Torres, Benayoun, Reina have all been great buys for us. Reina is rated as one of the best keepers in the world and we got him very cheaply, and Benayoun was only 4 million too. Even Xabi Alonso he made a massive profit with, even though I really wished he had kept him at the club.

I think Rafa deserves to stay for at least one more season because I really feel that he could win us the league. He has shown that he can do it, last season we were so close, so if he could just reproduce a season like that then maybe with a tiny bit of luck it would happen. I may be in the minority here of people who don't want Rafa to leave, but I really think he is the best man for the job at the moment.

But If he did leave, I would rather have Mourinho than Hiddink because it would make things a bit more interesting. Not sure if either of them could take us to the title in their first season though.

I am a Liverpool fan!

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by THEfredGOD View Post
    Personally I don't think it would help us if Rafa left. He has actually over-achieved since he has been here with the squad he has. Sure he makes some bad decisions over transfers etc but he has made some good ones too - Torres, Benayoun, Reina have all been great buys for us. Reina is rated as one of the best keepers in the world and we got him very cheaply, and Benayoun was only 4 million too. Even Xabi Alonso he made a massive profit with, even though I really wished he had kept him at the club.
    But nearly every other transfer in the past 5 1/2 years has been terrible.

How many players has he lost money on? Keane, Crouch, Bellamy, Dossena just to name a few.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Actually Crouch was bought for 7million and sold for 11 million. Keane, yeah that was a shocker. Bellamy - bought for 6, sold for 7.5. Dossena was another bad one but it wasnt a disaster like Keane.

I am a Liverpool fan!

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status

Quote Originally Posted by THEfredGOD View Post

I think Rafa deserves to stay for at least one more season because I really feel that he could win us the league. He has shown that he can do it, last season we were so close, so if he could just reproduce a season like that then maybe with a tiny bit of luck it would happen. I may be in the minority here of people who don't want Rafa to leave, but I really think he is the best man for the job at the moment.

But If he did leave, I would rather have Mourinho than Hiddink because it would make things a bit more interesting. Not sure if either of them could take us to the title in their first season though.
    As a 'Pool fan, and likely someone that knows more about them than I, do you really think he's done a good job in the transfer market? I agree Reina and Alonso were great signings, Torres was a great signing but you didn't need to be a genius when he was at Atletico Madrid to know he was going to be fantastic. So he seems to sign reasonably well from Spain, but does he sign well from anywhere else? And in the Prem wouldn't you say it's better to have more global knowledge of players than just those from your home country? You may be able to cite one or two players I've forgotten, but it feels like players signed from elsewhere have by and large been ropey.

As for your final point. Mourinho nor Hiddink are ever going to go to a club with your finances.
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

Chikara Trainee

Status

Im not saying he has done a good job, but it hasnt been as bad as people make it out as. I would say that the good signings even out with the bad signings, so he has done an "ok" job.

And yeh your right they probably wouldnt come to us with our current situation but hopefully we wont get to the stage where we have to choose a new manager anyway.

I am a Liverpool fan!

The EST of WC

Status

Benitez has done pretty bad in the transfer window for us. Even though are team is stronger than when he first arrived it hasnt improved a great deal. Benayoun was a good signing for the amount we paid, as was Reina ab alonso(why he wanted to sell him is beyond me) even mascherno to an extent was a decent signing but hes signed and then sold the likes of crouch, keane, bellamy, alonso etc plus i can see babel leaving us in the summer and i had real hopes for him. Then he keeps the likes of lucas for reasons i do not know. He also needs to stop paying over the odds for players such as johnson yeah hes good but £19 million?

Thread Information