Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB 09: The Show Franchise - Atlanta Braves

God's Gift to God

Status

MLB 09: The Show Franchise - Atlanta Braves

At the urging of GD I shall revive this. I haven't decided if I'm getting MLB 10 or not so I'll we'll see how that works out later.

Current status of the franchise is year 2. I'll recap the first season, including trades, signings, and the final season standings. I'll also go over the off-season including all of my moves and key signings/retirements/trades that were made.

I'm two games into the 2010 season and I'm at a record of 1-1. Game three against the Florida Marlins is next on the schedule. When I do game updates I'll post key moments in each game. I won't be doing in depth boxscores like I used to because that takes way too long.

Updates soon!

God's Gift to God

Status

Re: MLB 09: The Show Franchise - Atlanta Braves

2009 Recap

Acquired 1B Adrian Gonzalez from the San Diego Padres for 2B Kelly Johnson, 1B Casey Kotchman, SP Jorge Campillo

Braves GM Frank Wren on the trade: "We are always interested in improving the quality of our club. It was widely known that the Padres were looking to move Adrian and were looking for a second baseman and starting pitcher, and we felt that Kelly and Jorge were viable options for them. During our discussions they were very high on Casey, as we were and still are, so adding him to the deal to replace Adrian was a natural fit."

Padre fans were not accepting of the trade, nor was the media. ESPN's Keith Law said of the trade, "Out of all the teams and possible pieces the Padres could have received in return, they got an underachieving second baseman, a first baseman that provides a fraction of the offense of the guy they got rid of, and a pitcher that was twiddling his thumbs in the minors..."

Braves manager Bobby Cox was quoted on the trade as saying, "Ftw."

The Braves went 91-71 in 2009 but shockingly failed to make the playoffs thanks to a very competitive National League.

2009 Off-Season

Retirees From Around the League

SP Derek Lowe - ATL
    SS Derek Jeter - NYY
    RP Mariano Rivera - NYY
    SP Randy Johnson - SF
    RP Trevor Hoffman - MIL
    Manager Bobby Cox

A trio of future Hall of Fame pitchers, Mariano Rivera, Randy Johnson, and Trevor Hoffman all hung up their spikes citing age and fatigue. No one was surprised by Johnson's retirement as he had been hinting at it for years, but Hoffman and Rivera seemed able to continue for a few more years. In an even bigger shock, Braves SP Derek Lowe decided to walk away from the game and his lucrative contact that still had three years and more than $30 Million remaining.

Lowe on retiring: "I just didn't have fun this year. All the money in the world can't keep me around doing something I don't want to do. I really enjoyed my year in Atlanta and I don't want anyone to think it was a bad experience. We had a heck of a season and I think the team is going to do big things in the playoffs this year, but I won't be around to see if I'm right." While the retirement came out of no where to the Braves, it freed up more than $10 Million in payroll this season which allowed them to make some of their big moves.

In a separate retirement by an Atlanta Brave, longtime manager Bobby Cox decided to finally call it quits after twenty-five years at the helm of the Bravos. Cox was treated to a glorious and emotional celebration of his career during the last home game at Turner Field this past season.

Perhaps the most amazing incident in the off-season was the retirement of Derek Jeter. The Yankees captain suffered a debilitating ACL tear that wasn't a run of the mill tear. The surgery and eventual rehab was estimated to keep him out of the game for at least two years, and that was a generous guess according to doctors.

"I just want everyone to know how much this hurts me. I love this game, I love this team, and I love this city. In a way I feel like I'm letting all three down with this decision, but I honestly do not think that I would be able to return at the level of productivity that I expect of myself if I had to miss that much time. Thank you for all the good memories."

Transactions

The Atlanta Braves agreed on terms with the following free agents:

LF Carl Crawford
    RF Jermaine Dye
    SP Jason Marquis
    RP John Grabow
    UTL Eric Hinske
    OF Ryan Freel
    RP Mark Worrell
    RP Mark Prior

The team also named Don Warthen their new manager after Bobby Cox's retirement. The team had extended offers to Eric Wedge and Tony LaRussa, both of whom turned down their respective offers to join the same team, where Wedge will take on the farm director role as LaRussa returns to the dugout to manage the Phillies. Lou Pinella did not respond to the Braves' offer which led to the rather unknown Warthen taking over for the Braves.

The Braves were also known to have extended offers to Matt Holliday, Jason Bay, Cliff Lee, and Fernando Rodney but were unsuccessful in their attempts. The signing of Mark Prior to be the closer came as a last resort after Wagner and Rodney declined the Braves' offer and the Braves were unable to lure Mike Gonzalez back to the team.

Notable players and their new teams:

1B Carlos Delgado - BAL
    RP Billy Wagner - NYY
    RP Rafael Soriano - NYY
    SS Orlando Cabrera - NYY
    RP Mike Gonzalez - TB
    SP Ben Sheets - CWS
    OF Matt Holliday - CLE
    RP Rafael Betancourt - SEA
    OF Garret Anderson - FLA
    1B Conor Jackson - NYM
    C Ivan Rodriquez - PHI
    SP Kelvim Escobar - PHI
    3B Garret Atkins - PHI
    INF Placido Polanco - CHI
    OF Coco Crisp - HOU
    OF Lastings Milledge - PIT
    2B Freddy Sanchez - MIL
    SS Omar Vizquel - STL
    RP B.J. Ryan - COL
    OF Jason Bay - LAD
    SP Erik Bedard - SF

2010 Starting Lineup and Pitching Rotation

SP Tim Hudson
    SP Javier Vazquez
    SP Jair Jurrjens
    SP Jason Marquis
    SP Tommy Hanson

RP Kenshin Kawakami
    RP Kris Medlen
    RP Mark Worrell
    RP John Grabow
    RP Peter Moylan
    RP Eric O' Flaherty
    RP Mark Prior

LF Carl Crawford
    SS Yunel Escobar
    3B Chipper Jones
    1B Adrian Gonzalez
    C Brian McCann
    RF Jermaine Dye
    LF Nate McLouth
    2B Martin Prado

---

C David Ross
    OF Matt Diaz
    OF Ryan Freel
    UTL Omar Infante
    UTL Eric Hinske

2010 Schedule and Results

Game 1 (13 innings) - FLA 3 at ATL 1 - W: Badenhop, L: Grabow, S: Nunez

Game 2 - FLA 1 at ATL 4 - W: Vazquez, L: Nolasco, S: Prior

Game 3 (12 innings) - FLA 3 at ATL 2 - W: Meyer, L: Medlen, S: Nunez (2)

Adrian Gonzalez doubled in the bottom of the first, scoring Chipper Jones to make the score 1-0 in favor of Atlanta. Jeremy Hermida hit a 2-run homerun to left field in the top of the second to give Florida a one-run lead. In the bottom of the second, Brian McCann promptly hit a solo shot to tie the game at two. In the ninth inning, with a runner on first and two outs, McCann made a terrific play, blocking a curve ball in the dirt and darting the ball down to first to pick off the runner to end the inning.

In the top of inning number twelve, pinch hitter Mitch Jones singled with runners on first and third to give the Marlins a 3-2 lead. Florida closer Leo Nunez entered the game in the bottom of the inning and was firing fastballs with regularity, chucking six straight heaters after taking over. Nunez recorded two quick outs and got to a 1-2 count on Nate McLouth who blasted a fastball into deep right field where Hermida, with his back against the wall, made the final out of the inning. The Marlins (2-1) took the first series of the year from the Braves (1-2) after both teams endured seven innings of extra baseball to start the week.

Atlanta has a day off before starting their road trip and new manager Don Warthen couldn't be happier, "We were taken to the edge and back with this young Florida team. They really played hard, and so did we, but they got the best of us in the end. We didn't cash in on some opportunities that we had and we paid for that. Honestly we should be 3-0 right now and I'm going to be making some small changes that I think we help us in the long run. Having said that, it was the first series and we can't be upset with a couple losses this early into the season."

The "changes" that the Braves' skipper was hinting at was removing 2B Martin Prado from the starting lineup in favor of Omar Infante. In an odd twist of fate, Prado is being replaced one year after he replaced Kelly Johnson in the starting lineup. Johnson was struggling on offense and defense at the time and Prado's strong play resulted in Johnson being shipped to San Diego in the blockbuster Adrian Gonzalez trade. While only three games into the season, Prado is hitting .083 and has struck out more times than the rest of the Braves team combined while leaving several men left on base. Infante, who was brought over from the Cubs two years ago along with Will Ohman for Jose Ascanio, will take on his new role with an ever present confidence:

"I'm always looking to do whatever I can to help my team win. Whether that's coming off the bench or starting, I'm going to play hard everyday and let what happens happen."

Prado, a true professional, was more than content with the change: "I've been bad so far. Some people are saying it's too early to make a move like this but I've really struggled and if Don thinks this makes the team better than so will I. I'm going to work hard at getting back on track but Omar is a great guy and a great player and I think things will work out."

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Nice line-up. You managed to get some hard hitting veterans as well as some fine utility players on your bench.

LolJeterInjury
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah I lol'd at Lowe retiring and Jeter's injury. That's one thing in pretty much every sports game that still sucks these days. Unrealistic injuries need to gtfo.

Established Veteran

Status

I like your Lineup and Pitching Rotation. You picking up Carl Crawford is a great pickup.

Dat ass....

Status
      Country                    us=United States

lol @ Bobby's Cox's "Ftw". Also v.v @ Marquis in your rotation, such a bumkins.

Really likin this ish so far, keep it goin brudda!

Team Cyrush T: ftBest

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

dis reminds me of my 1337 t00lane dynasty.

props, and i hate unrealistic off-seasons as well cox

God's Gift to God

Status

Game 4

Was 0 at ATL 2

W: Marquis, L: Loux

Heading into the fourth game of the 2010 season, the Atlanta Braves were looking to rebound from a disappointing start to the season that saw them drop two games to the Florida Marlins in extra innings. Tasked with getting the team turned around was the returning Jason Marquis, who came back to the Braves on a one year deal for $800,000 after failing to land a multi-year deal.

Marquis proved to be effective early and often as he went through the Nationals first six hitters without them getting on base. In the bottom of the second inning, Nate McLouth connected on his first home run of the season, blasting a two run shot deep into the right field seats. Those two runs would be all the Braves would score and it would be all they needed.

Marquis continued mowing down Nationals and gave up his first hit to Ryan Zimmerman in the top of the fourth. While the Nationals failed to get anyone on base until Nick Johnson walked a few innings later, the Braves actually had opportunities to increase their lead but, yet again, failed to capitalize with runners in scoring position.

By the top of the ninth rolled around, Marquis was working on a one-hitter until Zimmerman singled for a second time. Obviously fatigued, Braves manager Don Warthen had new closer Mark Prior warming up as Marquis labored on the mound in the top of the final frame. With Prior ready to go, Marquis ended up finishing the game for his first win, complete game, and shut out of the season. He racked up eight strikeouts while walking one and allowing only the two hits to Zimmerman. Young righty Tommy Hanson will take the mound for the Braves in tomorrow's game.

A win is what the Braves needed after enduring two extra inning losses to the Marlins and the offense is starting to come together. Braves hitters showed more patience against the Nationals today and it showed as they were able to slap hits all over the field, albeit they didn't drive in as many as they would have liked.

Omar Infante started his first game at second base by collecting two hits and showing leadership on the field. Infante took over for the struggling Martin Prado who is currently hitting a whopping .083 in almost fifteen at bats. Warthen stated that Prado has a chance to win his spot back, but Infante's showing today may slow that progress down.

dxanman

I really like this.

Do you actually play the game, or just simulate them?

God's Gift to God

Status

I play most of the games. I've never actually played all 162 games in a season but the simming is few and far between. The only time I really sim is when I start raging and just sim like a month. The most irritating part is probably doing game write-ups. They take forever if you actually want them to sound decent v_v.

dxanman

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    I play most of the games. I've never actually played all 162 games in a season but the simming is few and far between. The only time I really sim is when I start raging and just sim like a month. The most irritating part is probably doing game write-ups. They take forever if you actually want them to sound decent v_v.
    I agree. That's why I did one game of my Madden '10 BTB. I didn't think I could keep it going for long.

I am thinking of maybe starting another one for either my NCAA or Madden (again) in the future. And, I'd like to try doing a baseball one when MLB 2K10 comes out in March.

Established Veteran

Status

I have played all the game son my Madden Franchise and have played all 162 games on MLB 2K7. I have never one all 82 in a NBA Season though.

God's Gift to God

Status

I forgot to mention in the first update that Manny Ramirez retired during the off-season too.

Dat ass....

Status

lol @ Manny.

Fucking Marquis though, showing me up like that!

dxanman

This thread made me go back to my MLB 2K9 game and play it again. Thanks for that!

Dat ass....

Status

New revelations plz.

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah I haven't played it in a while because Mass Effect 2 came out. Blame Shepard and his leetness >_>.

But yeah, once I plow through ME 2 I'll probably start this back up. Probably. If not, I'll just hijack this with MLB 10 when that comes out because I'm going to Gamefly it or buy it.

God's Gift to God

Status

I know it's been a while but I haven't been able to do this. I originally planned on starting a new one with MLB 10, but after waiting two weeks to get the game sent to me I sent it back immediately because of all the bugs in franchise mode. Having said that, I've decided to go back to MLB 09 and pick up where I left off.

Game 5

WAS 3 at ATL 5

W: Kawakami (1-0), L: Villone (0-1), S: Prior (2)

The Braves looked to keep momentum in their favor after a strong showing from Jason Marquis. Toeing the mound for the Braves this afternoon was young phenom Tommy Hanson. In his first start of the season, Hanson was blasting Nationals hitters with 97 mph fastballs and dropping effective changeups all game long.

Hanson's confience may have been a little too much as he challenged Nat's left fielder Adam Dunn with a fastball high in-the-zone and watched as the slugger took it over the center field wall. Now down by two runs, Hanson showed the type of maturity to quickly rebound and he went right back to mowing down National hitters. Nate McLouth homered for the Braves early in the game and brought them within one run.

Hanson's night came to an end after 7.1 innings of work. He scattered ten hits and struck out nine while allowing three earned runs.

Kenshin Kawakami entered the eighth inning for Hanson and quickly recorded two outs in a brief appearance. The veteran Japanese hurler has a newfound position in the bullpen after starting for the Braves in his first season in the Majors. He showed poise and control in the eighth that lead manager Don Warthen to say, "We really like Kenshin coming out of the bullpen for us. I know he's a starter by trade and that he may not have been happy with our decision to move him into the 'pen, but we feel it gives us a better chance to win. We have a lot of confidence in him."

Eric Hinske smacked a pinch-hit double in the bottom of the eighth to get things started for Atlanta. Batting for Kawakami, Hinske proved why he was such a valuable get for the Braves in the offseason by showing prowess at the plate and igniting a Braves comeback. With two outs and two runners on base and still down by two runs, Braves 1B Adrian Gonzalez smashed a three-run home run down the left field line that gave Atlanta a 4-3 lead. This was huge for Gonzalez who hasn't really shown a lot of power for the Braves since coming over in a trade last summer. Atlanta would add one more run to the board before taking the field in the top of the ninth.

Mark Prior came into the game for the save as expected. The newly converted closer was able to get his second save of the season with little trouble. He quickly recorded the first out of the inning before giving up a single to center. Unphased, Prior induced a beautifully executed double play to end the game. Atlanta's ability to stage a comeback late in the game has to excite the fans, as it definitely excites skipper Warthen, "Anytime your team is down late in a ballgame and they claw back and take the lead, you're obviously going to be excited about that. It's still early in the season but we just haven't been taking advantage of opportunities to put runs on the board. But a game like this is one you love to see as a manager."

The Braves now have a record of 3-2 to begin the season. Tim Hudson is expected to start Atlanta's next game.

Dat ass....

Status

lolwtf @ Mark Prior on the team. Good stuff here Cox0rz, keep it rollin'!

dxanman

Seems like a good little comeback for the Braves. I'm hoping to get the 2010 Regular Season started in a few days, myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information