Thread: Barcelona Claim Club World Cup

Rising Above...

Status

Barcelona Claim Club World Cup

Europe’s dominance continues in this competition:

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    Barcelona secured a record sixth piece of silverware this season with a 2-1 extra-time victory over Estudiantes in the Club World Cup in Abu Dhabi.

Lionel Messi's 110th-minute goal capped a stunning comeback by Barca after they had trailed since the 39th minute.

Mauro Bosselli gave Estudiantes the lead before substitute Pedro Rodriguez equalised with a minute to go.

The Catalan side have also won La Liga, the Copa del Rey, Champions League and European and Spanish Super Cup titles.

This was the second time in succession in the competition that Barcelona have had to come back from a deficit to earn victory after they fought back to beat Atlante in the semis.

However, Barca could have been ahead early on in the final but instead of shooting after being released by Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Xavi chose to pass and over-hit his lay-off to Thierry Henry.

Copa Libertadores champions Estudiantes took the lead when Boselli found space between Carles Puyol and Eric Abidal to guide a header past Victor Valdes.

Barca missed a number of chances throughout the second half with Ibrahimovic firing just wide of the far post after creating a shooting chance on the left of the area, and then Pedro spurned a gilt-edged opportunity.

The latter though turned from villain to hero with a last-gasp equaliser.

Centre-back Gerard Pique headed on a Xavi deflected pass into the path of the unmarked forward and his looping header found the back of the net.

The Spanish side made all the running in extra time and it was no surprise when Messi struck, diving in to chest home from a Xavi cross.

It was fitting that the Argentine Ballon d'Or winner should decide the match in his side's favour, as he is favourite to be named World Player of the Year on Monday.

God

Status

Re: Barcelona Claim Club World Cup

I know a lot of continental clubs value the CWC very highly, but for me it's nowhere near as important as some make it out to be. Obviouslly it's great for the club that wins it but I maintain the Champions League is a much bigger achievement. Personally I think it should take place during the summer like the Community Shield and whatnot.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

God

Status

It's a very big deal on the contenent, not so much in England.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Rising Above...

Status

It's ideal timing for most European Clubs since it takes place on the weekend before their winter break.

I view this competition as I do the Confederations Cup. It should be the most important competition in club football, but it isn't.

I've had my picture taken with the trophy, so I like the tournament.

Thread Information