Thread: Hughes Sacked, Mancini In

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Hughes Sacked, Mancini In

Looks like a change of direction at Eastlands

Manchester City have confirmed the sacking of Mark Hughes and have appointed Roberto Mancini as the new manager of the Premier League club.

City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak outlined his reasons for the decision and admitted it was a 'particularly difficult announcement' to make.

"Prior to the current season beginning, with significant investment in players and infrastructure in place, the consensus between the Board and coaching staff was that appropriate agreed targets should be set for the 2009/2010 season," said Al Mubarak on the club's official website.

"The targets were agreed as a result of the player acquisition strategy of the club being radically accelerated in the summer as a result of very favourable conditions for any buying club. It was also based on the fact that the infrastructure of the club had been overhauled completely at great cost in order to create the best possible environment for the team.

"A return of two wins in 11 Premier League games is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed and set. Sheikh Mansour and the Board felt that there was no evidence that the situation would fundamentally change. This is a particularly difficult announcement given the personal investment over the past 15 months on all sides and we would like to put on record our respect for and thanks to Mark Hughes and we wish him the best in his future career."

Commenting on the appointment of Mancini Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "Roberto is a hugely experienced manager with a proven track record of winning trophies and championships. His experience and track record speak for themselves. What is absolutely clear is that Roberto believes in Manchester City's potential to achieve at the highest level and importantly in his own ability to make this happen. My hope is that our incredible fans will join us in welcoming Roberto to the football club."

skysports

Status

Re: Hughes Sacked, Mancini In

Not sure if this is a positive move or not... I liked Hughes and I think expectations may have been a touch high...
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

God

Status

Surprised he actually got sacked, I was expecting him to get until the end of the season before getting the boot in favour of someone who can win cups. It's not like City have been losing so there will be pressure on Mancini to deliver quickly.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Terrible timing IMO, should have give him the season at least.

His target was top 6 and we are on course for doing that.

Tommy Got Hacked

Ole!

Status

At least they've done it before January and not later as Mancini will be at least able to get in a few players he wants.

Going to be interesting, Mancini never manged in the UK before, see if he can adapt.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I find it funny that he gets sacked after a win - they've only had 2 in the last 10 odd games! As for Mancini, from what i've seen of him, he'll be an absaloute stinker. Was this the last Prem League game before the break? If so fair enough, but i still would've stuck with Sparky.

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Squibo View Post
    I find it funny that he gets sacked after a win - they've only had 2 in the last 10 odd games! As for Mancini, from what i've seen of him, he'll be an absaloute stinker. Was this the last Prem League game before the break? If so fair enough, but i still would've stuck with Sparky.
    We don't have a winter break in the Premiership.

I hope City go on to do a Boro now. I think Hughes has been harshly dealt with. I hope he gets another job soon.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    ie=Ireland

There's reports that the deal for Mancini was done after the Arsenal match on Dec 2nd. It's a terrible way to do things and I don't think he deserved to be sacked. He deserved to be judged on his performance at the end of the season, not halfway through. His biggest mistake though was selling Dunne and wasting all that money on clowns like Toure and Lescott.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

6th in the League & they could of got a top four finish. Don't see why they had much reason to sack him. It takes time for a new team to blend. It was stupid to think that he would automatically be a title contender within the first season.

Rising Above...

Status

Mark Hughes speaks:

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    Mark Hughes has spoken of his disappointment at the manner of his dismissal by Manchester City, arguing that he was on target to achieve the club's target of a top-six place this season.

The Welshman, whose sacking as manager was announced after yesterday's 4-3 win over Sunderland, also claimed he was given no advance warning that the club's owners planned to replace him with Roberto Mancini.

In a statement issued on his behalf by the League Managers Association, Hughes said: "I am extremely disappointed not to have been given the opportunity to see through my plans at the club. At the beginning of the season I sat down with the owners and it was agreed that a realistic target for the season would be sixth place in the Premier League, or in the region of 70 points. All of this was communicated to the players and we all knew where we stood.

"Whilst everyone at the club would obviously have wanted to see more wins, we were absolutely on target at the time of my dismissal. Only recently we had terrific victories against both Arsenal and Chelsea."

Hughes claimed he had not been told in advance about the club's plans to dismiss him, saying: "I was informed after yesterday's match against Sunderland that my contract with Manchester City was being terminated with immediate effect.

"Notwithstanding media coverage to the contrary, I was given no forewarning as to the club's decision. Given the speed with which my successor's appointment was announced, it would appear that the club had made its decision some considerable time ago."

Hughes thanked City's fans for their support and added: "I am very proud of the fact that I steered the club through the most significant period of change in its history. I have always been aware of the responsibility that comes with being afforded the luxury of a significant transfer budget, and I was grateful that the club supported me with significant investment in players. I very much regret, however, that I will not now be able to enjoy the success that would undoubtedly have followed in the light of that investment.

"I believe that I have handled with dignity the recent pressure placed upon me by press speculation."

God

Status

Some papers are claiming that the senior players at the club protested the sacking after the Sunderland match but the decision was already made. If that is true Mancini will have a tough time getting everyone behind him.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Rising Above...

Status

Guus Hiddinks' agent was on Sky Sports News this morning. He said that he had been approached by Man City to see if Guus would have been interested in joining them. His agent said Hiddink wanted to wait untill January before he made his decision on his next job.

Can't see why City would not want to wait another 3/4 weeks to secure what would be their first choice. I find it a little strange that they went for their number 2 choice because he was available straight away, as opposed to waiting a month for their number one choice.

Mancinis press conferance later today should be interesting.

Tommy Got Hacked

Thread Information