Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Going to the matches - Reviewing WWF House Shows

Jobber

Status

Re: Going to the matches - Reviewing WWF House Shows

Great thread. It has some cards that I went to and some that I watched when it aired on MSG network. I've been thinking about getting all the shows available from the 70's up till '84 or so. It's awesome that so many classic house shows are available for viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYindyfan View Post
    Great thread. It has some cards that I went to and some that I watched when it aired on MSG network. I've been thinking about getting all the shows available from the 70's up till '84 or so. It's awesome that so many classic house shows are available for viewing.
    Which shows reviewed in this thread have you attended in person?

Jobber

Status

I was at the 6/10/89 nassau coliseum show. 2 garden shows on the list also from '87. the october and december shows. That was a rarity for me around that time. Around late '85 is when I stopped going regularly. I was not all that happy with the wwf in the late 80's but I checked out a few shows from that period. The one that I really regret missing was the 1/23/84 MSG show. I taped it from MSG network and watched it probably a dozen times back then. So I missed the show where Backlund lost the title and then I also missed the show with Hogan winning the title. Double bummer. I missed being a part of history.

Boston Garden
    March 5, 1988

SD Jones vs Steve Lombardi
    Talk about a match that starts the show with a bang. By bang, I mean the Boston crowd is treated to a nice little nap as these two worked a heatless match. The only appeal was some of Jones' wacky punches that resembled something that Rocky Johnson, Dusty Rhodes, or a Road Dogg fan would try. It's rather difficult caring about the match when neither guy was a star, the crowd was dead and they weren't even trying to tell a story. Lombardi wins after countering a backbody drop into a (Sloppy) small package. They at least kept this short. * ¼

Gorilla Monsoon interviews Jimmy Hart and Danny Davis at ringside. Hart and Davis hypes the upcoming Wrestlemania 4. Hart predicts Greg Valentine will be the WWE World Champion, Honky Tonk Man will remain the IC Champion and Davis or a Hart Foundation member will win the big invitational battle royal.

Danny Davis w/Jimmy Hart vs Sam Houston
    Do you know what is the only thing worse than a Houston or Davis match? A Houston vs Davis match. God, both guys suck so very much. These two have the special abilities to have a ten minute match and have it feel like twenty. This was your standard back-and-forth match without any heat. The difference from this and the opening match is that I was expecting this to suck something fierce. Anyways, like a true putz, Houston goes for a cross body while Davis is tied up in the ropes. Since Davis is tied up, Houston just fell over the top rope and landed hard on the floor. That allowed Davis to suplex Houston back in the ring and pick up the victory. Congrats Sam Houston, you allowed yourself to be cleanly pinned by Danny f'n Davis. You suck. * ½

Demolition (c) w/Mr. Fuji vs The Rougeau Brothers
    Curse WWE 24/7 for editing out Demolition's theme music. Rougeaus are literally just killing time until their heel turn in a couple of months. Demolition is preparing for their tag title match at Wrestlemania 4. This match actually had me a little excited and had my expectations high. Unfortunately, it ended up disappointing me a little due to the length of the match. At only nine minutes long, they didn’t have enough time to tell much of a story. What they did do in those nine minutes was good, but when you’re expecting a twenty minute ***+ match, but you get this, you’re left wanting more. Demolition controlled the majority of the match including the middle section featuring a Raymond face-in-peril sequence. Gorilla Monsoon randomly goes off on Demolition, acting as if they’re doing a terrible job early on when the match was mostly 50/50 and at that very moment, Demo were in firm control. A Jacques hot tag quickly led to the downfall with Demolition scoring a double closeline to abruptly cut the match short. Considering the fact that Demolition were mostly matched up against poor teams in 1987, this was still better than their average pre-WM 4 tag titles win match. ** ¾

We get an interview at ringside with Gorilla Monsoon getting a few words from Ron Bass. Bass threatens to turn Damien into a pair of boots. From there, tensions begin to rise between Bass and Monsoon with Bass challenging Monsoon to take part in the Wrestlemania 4 battle royal. Monsoon mostly just laughs Bass off before cutting the interview short. This oddly made me want to see Monsoon vs Bass.

Jake Roberts vs Ron Bass
    On paper, this was hardly a good looking matchup, but it actually over exceeded. The early going wasn’t anything special with Bass holding onto a side headlock, but the longer the match went on, the more I got into it due to the story. Thanks to Bass slowly working over the back of Roberts, Roberts was given a rare chance to show off the fact that he could actually be great at selling. Besides constantly holding his lower back, Roberts was unable to follow up on the short arm closeline, delaying the eventual attempt of the DDT. They even managed to get in the WM 3 spot with Roberts attempting a bodyslam, but his back gave out on him and Bass fell on top of Roberts for a nearfall. To my utter shock, they actually fooled me into buying a nearfall by Bass when Roberts came charging at Bass, but Roberts hit the brick wall that was Bass and Bass fell on top of Snake for a two count. The finish of the match is where it was kept from becoming a hidden gem as Roberts simply gives Bass a knee lift to the outside and Bass eventually gets counted out. Roberts is still selling the back, but not giving the fans a proper finish felt cheap. I would have preferred Roberts lucking into hitting a DDT while still in agony over the back. Still though, they made me care about two straight Ron Bass segments. Impressive. ** ½

The Jumping Bomb Angels © vs The Glamour Girls w/Jimmy Hart - WWE Women’s Tag Titles
    Aww yeah. This would be a rematch from Royal Rumble 1988 where the Bomb Angels defeated The Glamour Girls to become tag team champions. After years of being a Jumping Bomb Angels fans, it was only with this match that I learn that they actually had a theme song in the WWE. This match ended up being exactly what I was hoping the Demolition/Rougeau Brothers match would be. It’s a strong story based match with a Bomb Angel playing the face-in-peril for awhile. The Glamour Girls are constantly cheating by going after the hair and removing the tag rope to choke the Bomb Angel behind the ref’s back. The Bomb Angels got a tag, but it was behind the ref’s back. Finally, the proper hot tag occurred and it was time for the action to pick up. There was a couple of good nearfalls with all four women involved until a backslide gets the victory for the Bomb Angels. The Jumping Bomb Angels were simply amazing. Not only did they easily produce the MOTN, but they actually got the crowd into it. The crowd reacted to the flashy moves of the Bomb Girls and the story of the Glamour Girls cheating. As much as I enjoy the Survivor Series and Royal Rumble matches, this was superior to those two bigger showcase matches from the Bomb Angels. On top of that, this featured a different series of spots from the Bomb Angels, making this feel fresh. *** ¾

The Ultimate Warrior vs King Harley Race
    Warrior has an upcoming match against Hercules at Wrestlemania 4, so it makes sense for him to battle a fellow member of the Heenan Family here. There wasn’t much to this match. Warrior had a light day, barely even getting in many of his power based moves. Even Race didn’t do much bumping for Warrior, instead opting to do some of his fun over the top selling a bit on his own. For example, Warrior struck Race while Race was on the apron, so Race had a laugh by slowly sliding down the wooden steps. The bizarre finish saw Race attempt to suplex Warrior from the apron to inside of the ring, but Warrior countered it into a roll-up for the victory. Warrior wins by a roll-up? What gives? Disappointing. * ½

Dino Bravo w/Frenchy Martin vs David Sammartino
    Well look who's here. Sammartino’s time in the WWE was pretty funky. He had one main year from late 1984 to late 1985, but then he kept popping in and out between 1980-1988 for random shows. I suspect the WWE kept bringing him in to appease Bruno, but they never really wanted David around. We’re just days away from Bruno Sammartino’s final time commentating for the WWE, so to no surprise, once Bruno leaves and begins his lost run of being a critic of the WWE, David is at the very end of his time in the WWE forever. I was actually a bit impressed with David here. He wasn’t great or anything, but he certainly wasn’t bad. Granted, he was working Bravo, so it wasn’t a difficult task to be the superior worker in the match. The downside to David is that there isn’t anything special about him other than his last name. He’s well built, but he’s rather short. He has zero gimmick and is rather bland. What do you do with a guy like that? Bravo killed some time in this match by sitting on a chin lock, but since the match wasn’t too long, it wasn’t insufferable. Bravo managed to put Sammartino away with his Side Slam. I’ve seen far worse Bravo matches. **

Before we get to the main event, let’s take a look at what was going on with the A crew. On this day, Hulk Hogan and company worked a double shot with the following two cards:

San Francisco, CA

Johnny V vs Brady Boone
    Bad News Brown vs Scott Casey
    Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat
    Sherri © vs Rockin’ Robin - WWE Women’s Title
    The Bolsheviks vs The Young Stallions
    Little Tokyo and Lord Littlebrook vs Cowboy Lang ad Chris Dube
    Hercules vs Koko B. Ware
    Ted DiBiase and Virgil vs Hulk Hogan and Jim Duggan

Los Angeles, CA

Brady Boone vs Jack Armstrong
    Ricky Steamboat vs Rick Rude
    Ken Patera vs Hercules
    Sherri © vs Rockin’ Robin - WWE Women’s Title
    The Young Stallions vs The Bolsheviks
    Scott Casey vs Bad News Brown
    Koko B. Ware vs Johnny V
    Hulk Hogan and Jim Duggan vs Ted DiBiase and Virgil

There was also supposedly a C show in Phoenix, but I can’t find a card for that. Looking at the A and B touring groups, some talent that are missing and may have been on the C show include The British Bulldogs, Don Muraco, Bam Bam Bigelow, Greg Valentine, The Islanders, Butch Reed, One Man Gang, Brutus Beefcake, The Killer Bees, The Junkyard Dog, Hillbilly Jim, and Sika. Assuming all of those wrestlers were on that Phoenix show, that’s a really strong C show. Still, I think this B Boston Garden show is strongest on paper out of the three.

Randy Savage and Strike Force vs The Honky Tonk Man and The Hart Foundation - Cage Match
    The main reason why I watched this show. It’s the former IC Champion and the current tag team champions vs the current IC Champion and the former tag team champions. First time to completely escape the cage wins. The early going on this was pretty much just a random mindless brawl that had a bit of fire to it with Martel taking off his shirt and using it to choke his opponents. Once the wrestlers began to escape the cage, the better it becomes because a story begins to form. First out are Tito Santana and Jim Neidhart. Rick Martel joins them not long afterward, leaving Savage alone with HTM and Hart. Rather than just try to win, Honky is more concerned with punishing Savage. At one point, Honky even stops Bret from leaving in order to inflict more damage. Even when Bret leaves, Honky isn’t concerned with leaving. This is his downfall as Savage makes a comeback, fires back up, and through that is able to get the best of Honky and escape the cage before the IC Champion to win the match for the babyfaces. Had the match been given more time (It’s just over eight minutes) and a little more concentration on creating a story, this could have created a fun team gimmick match. Instead, the main appeal of this match is just how special it feels thanks to how rare a six man tag cage match is. This sort of match would have been perfect as a main event of a SNME. A fun treat that feels different from the norm. ***

Overall
    Clocking in at just an hour and thirty-five minutes, this was a really quick and easy show to watch. The event was so short that I actually had to double check the card to ensure my copy of this show wasn’t missing matches. With eight matches and an hour and a half, none of the matches outstayed their welcome. The whole reason why I watched this show in the first place was for the novelty of the cage match and the bonus attraction of watching another Jumping Bomb Angels/Glamour Girls matches. The biggest surprise of the entire event is that I was made to care about two different segments involving Outlaw Ron Bass. I never thought it’d be possible. Overall, this was a fun little show that makes up for lack of importance by adding a bunch of random things that became appealing to see.

People's Champion

Status

Jumping Bombshells vs Glamour Girls were tearing it up for a few months it seems. Have you seen their match from Nov 24 1987 at MSG?

I also think that cage match is on Savages 2nd dvd set.

Oh and apparently WWE is releasing a new DVD set called Unseen Matches 1986-1995. All matches not on the Network or previous DVD/Bluray Sets. Mooney's the Host!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Jumping Bombshells vs Glamour Girls were tearing it up for a few months it seems. Have you seen their match from Nov 24 1987 at MSG?
    I'm sure I have, but I haven't reviewed that particular house show yet. I believe I still have 3-4 house shows I can cover from 1986-1988 that feature the Jumping Bomb Angels.

I also think that cage match is on Savages 2nd dvd set.
    Oh, is it? Nice. Other than Sting's first DVD, I don't believe I've bought a single WWE DVD since the WWE Network was started up. It's a fun match to add on a DVD though as opposed to throwing a random average Savage/Honky match. Outside of their memorable and good SNME match, their singles matches were all entirely forgettable. This though highlights the feud while also showing off something unusual.

Boston Garden
    January 11, 1986

Lanny Poffo vs Terry Gibbs
    Gorilla Monsoon actually claims that both men have impressive records in the WWE. Right, and Curt Hawkins has been on quite a roll in 2017. The early going saw Poffo working over the arm of Gibbs to kill time. It bored me and listening to the crowd, it didn’t seem as if they were fans of it either. Luckily, once Gibbs took over, things improved. Gibbs has a bit of a rough style, tossing Poffo to the outside and generally trying to manhandle the future Genius. It’s at this point that Poffo picks up the pace, showcasing some of his high flying that made Poffo worth watching. Ultimately, Poffo would nail his variation of the moonsault (More of a springboard backflip) for the victory. Good enough for a match with two JTTS wrestlers. **

Moondog Spot vs Scott McGhee
    McGhee had some success down in the Florida territory, but he’s firmly a JTTS now. Meanwhile, it’s been ages since the Moondogs have meant anything. Spot would end up lasting a little longer than his partner, Moondog Rex, as Rex would temporarily be upgraded into portraying Demolition Smash at the start of 1987. In some ways, this match followed the formula of the first match with McGhee killing time with various arm work, the crowd mostly being bored, the heel roughing up the babyface, and the babyface ultimately going over. However, it’s better. McGhee was an English wrestler, so his arm work was done in a variety of different ways. He was never satisfied with just slapping on a hold and remaining with that one hold. It was all about switching it up. When Spot took over and roughed up McGhee, he did so by slamming McGhee into the wooden barricade, causing it to be knocked over with McGhee in the fan’s area. It may not seem like much now, but such an action seemed pretty hardcore in 1986. Looking back at my Starrcade ‘83 review to the first time I had watched a McGhee match and I made a note that I had been impressed with him there. Now this second (I think) time seeing him wrestle, I’m impressed again. He’s got talent, the problem is that the WWE just wasn’t the ideal place for him. The fans aren’t into his style and since he’s on the short side, McMahon was certainly not going to push him up the card to give him better opponents to work with. Ultimately, it would be when Spot would try going for his dog bone, that the referee would try stopping him, allowing McGhee to roll Spot up for the three count. In a different company, this match would have been quite a bit better. ** ¼

Les Thornton vs Cousin Luke
    Thornton is another guy like McGhee who had talent, but the WWE wasn’t the best place for him during this time period. Meanwhile, Cousin Luke was the 4th and final member of the family led by Hillbilly Jim. He had debuted on TV a week ago. For the Hillbillies, the two cousins, Luke and Junior, were pointless with the real “Stars” of the family being Jim and Uncle Elmer. There isn’t much to this short match. Thornton delivered a lot of nice looking forearms while all of Luke’s offense looked terrible. Luke would win after hitting one weak looking sit down splash. An Earthquake Splash that was not. Meh. Poor Thornton. * ½

Tito Santana © vs Randy Savage w/Miss Elizabeth - WWE IC Title
    Their first meeting at the Boston Garden. It would not be their last though. The crowd is noticeably hot for this match and it’s not just for Savage. There’s numerous loud “Tito!” chants. After a lot of stalling and a brief period with Tito in control, Savage went on offense for the majority of the match. It’s mostly good stuff, but the match really heats up after Santana makes his comeback. Santana shows so much fire, you could almost say there’s some Latino Heat brewing inside of him. If there’s one clear criticism of the match, it’s that just as it begins to get really hot, it ends. On the outside, Savage tries to keep a pissed off Santana away from him by first using Elizabeth as a shield and then shoving Elizabeth down to jump back into the ring. While Santana checks on Elizabeth, he’s counted out. I expected this sort of finish based on what happens next month at the Boston Garden, but I wish that this match was longer. On the plus side, it does make me want to see the rematch on the next Boston Garden show. A fun, hot match. *** ¼

Bruno Sammartino and Paul Orndorff vs Roddy Piper and Bob Orton Jr.
    It was at the Dec ‘85 Boston Garden event that a Sammartino/Piper match ended in a DQ after Orton interfered. Now Sammartino is back for revenge and he has one of Piper’s biggest rivals with him. Just going off of appearances alone, you’d think that Piper/Sammartino and Orton/Orndorff were the teams. Both Piper and Sammartino are wearing blue trunks while Orndorff/Orton are wearing red trunks with both also sporting casts on their arms. Both casts would be used multiple times throughout this match. The referee is pretty lenient and the end result is a brawling based encounter. Orndorff played the face-in-peril for awhile while Orton and Piper heeled it up with various cheating tactics. This may not be New York, but Bruno’s super over. The downside to this match is that the finish is too similar to the previous one. With Bruno and Piper battling on the outside, Piper ducks a flying chair coming at his head and manages to poke Sammartino in the eyes. Piper rolls back into the ring before the ten count. Piper and Orton win by count-out. With these two matches taking place back-to-back and are easily the two biggest matches of the show, they should have different finishes. Still, this was a fun encounter and helps set up the cage match between Bruno and Piper for the February Boston Garden show. ***

Terry Funk w/Jimmy Hart vs Pedro Morales
    It’s former WWE Champion vs former NWA Champion! Throughout the match, Gorilla Monsoon tries so hard to make “Terrible” Terry Funk a thing and it just isn’t working. Where’s Regina George when you need her to make an appearance to drop some truths? I had zero expectations for this match since Pedro was in full JTTS mode by this point, but I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a wild match with Funk rubbing garbage in Pedro’s face, using his wrist tape to choke Pedro, attempting to go after Gorilla Monsoon, and hilariously even trying to hide from Pedro inside of the wooden steps. Morales tries to step up and look as if he actually has a chance against one of the bigger WWE heels at this point in time. Naturally, Pedro obviously was going to do the job though. With the referee distracted, Funk breaks Jimmy Hart’s megaphone over Pedro’s head to steal the victory. A fun and wild encounter. ***

George Wells vs Iron Mike Sharpe
    So much for the good matches continuing. On paper, the most interesting thing about this match is the uncertainty of who could possibly win. Although best known for being squashed by Jake Roberts at Wrestlemania 2, Wells is a bit fun to watch. He’s this big black former football player, so you’d think that he’d work a power based style with a lot of tackles. Instead, he’s pretty agile for his size. Wells had a variety of different roll up methods for pin attempts. Wells also had a graceful looking drop kick, delivered plenty of European Uppercuts, and just generally worked a style that you wouldn’t expect for his size. Despite Sharpe controlling the majority of the match, it’s when Sharpe loads up his wrist gauntlet for the finish that he gets a surprising Wells flying shoulder tackle. That allows Wells the victory. Go figure, after working the entire match against the expected style, Wells won with a move that you’d expect a former football player to use. ** ¼

Before we get to the final match, let’s check out what the A touring group had to offer.

Philly Spectrum - January 11, 1986

Dan Spivey vs Ron Shaw
    Hercules vs SD Jones
    King Tonga (Haku) vs Tiger Chung Lee
    Jim Neidhart vs B. Brian Blair
    Adrian Adonis vs Tony Atlas
    Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant vs King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd, and Bobby Heenan
    Ivan Putski vs Bret Hart
    Ricky Steamboat vs Don Muraco
    The Dream Team © vs The British Bulldogs - WWE Tag Titles

The tag team titles match had potential of being the best WWE match from January 11, 1986. The rest of the show doesn’t interest me much. I’m willing to bet this Boston Garden show was superior. However, since it’s a Philly Spectrum show, in theory I should be able to watch it.

The Junkyard Dog and Corporal Kirchner vs The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff
    I suppose you can say that this is Wrestlemania 2 build-up with the upcoming Kirchner/Volkoff flag match. Due to the poor talent on the babyface side, I didn’t have much hope for this match. As it turns out, I was right. It’s mostly a boring contest, but unlike some of the previous matches tonight, it didn’t receive any “Boring!” chants due to the fact that stars were involved. Kirchner played the face-in-peril and I struggled to care. Although I’ve enjoyed this Boston Garden show, I’m ready for it to end. JYD eventually got the hot tag, but he was quickly downed as well. That lead to another tag to Kirchner, this time acting as he’s fully recovered, despite JYD’s limited time in the ring, as all four men get involved. As the referee tries to get JYD out of the ring, Kirchner gets a chair thrown at his face to allow him to be easily pinned, giving the win to the former tag champions. Considering the fact that the star power gave it an advantage over some of the other matches, but it’s still dull, I’d consider this to be the weakest of the night. * ½

Overall
    Clocking in at under two hours, this wasn’t a bad night of WWE action. The two biggest matches of the show both delivered and helped set up a bigger rematches, of various sorts, for the next Boston Garden event. The Funk/Morales match greatly exceeded my expectations. Nearly all of the undercard performers on the show over delivered from my expectations. Considering how little effort was put into the matchmaking of this event, it's better than it should be.

The historic first WWE live event of my lifetime.

Philly Spectrum
    October 18, 1986

Cpl. Kirchner vs Tiger Chung Lee
    There’s some stalling before the match as both men are reluctant to give up their trench knife and their kendo stick. Once the action began, I quickly became annoyed with Kirchner. While I completely understand playing to the crowd, he does it for too long. Any time he’s prepared to hit a move (EG. A monkey flip from the corner), he’s looking around at the fans for a solid twenty seconds. It’s way too long and I’m begging for him to actually do something. There’s some awkwardness with the commentators whenever they speak about Lee as they refuse to refer to him as anything other than “Oriental” even though he’s announced as being from Korea. Lee controlled the middle portion of the match, mostly by keeping Kirchner on the outside. The finish saw Lee miss a charge in the corner with Kirchner predictably rolling him up for the pinfall. That’s a really common finish for these house show matches. This match was a good example for why Kirchner didn’t get over as Sgt. Slaughter 2.0. * ¾

Pedro Morales vs Steve Lombardi
    Looking back, Morales was one of the more unique former WWE World Champions ever. I can’t think of another significant World Champion that was then slowly depushed into eventually becoming nothing more than a lowcarder at best, a JTTS at worst. You’d think that just being a former World Champion and being on the roster (At this time, the only other guy being The Iron Sheik or Bruno if you want to count part timers) would have granted Pedro a Wrestlemania match in WM 1-3, but other than an appearance in the WM 2 battle royal, he never did have a proper PPV match. This was short and unmemorable. The future Brooklyn Brawler got in a bit of offense, but Pedro easily finished him off with a Roderick Strong style backbreaker. **

Hercules Hernandez vs Billy Jack Haynes
    Ugh, seriously? I swear, 95% of all Haynes WWE matches were against Hercules. Herc is just weeks away from having his character freshened up. He’d drop the last name, lose the gladiator gear he wore to the ring, and would upgrade from being managed by Slick to being managed by Bobby Heenan. I won’t try claiming Heenan made Herc into some legend, but it did score Hercules a World Title shot against Hulk Hogan on SNME. I’m ready to die as it quickly becomes apparent that they’re just going to kill time until the twenty minute draw. Herc is in control for a long time with none of it being interesting. The only times in the match where I cared in the slightest is when Haynes showed brief flurries of fire by firing off with punches before going back on the defense. The end sees Haynes lock on the Full Nelson just as time expires. The one time I can remember enjoying a Haynes singles match happened to be a draw against Hercules, but this was certainly not it. A chore to sit through. ½ *

Koko B. Ware vs The Red Demon
    While looking to see if I’ve covered any Red Demon matches before, I came across a Feb 7, 1987 Boston Garden card that happens to feature Red Demon vs Koko Ware. Gee, I wonder if this match will be any different. At this point in time, Koko has only been on WWE TV for about a month and a half. Much to my surprise, this match would not be like their eventual Boston Garden match. After missing an early splash in the corner, Koko spent the majority of the match having his shoulder worked over by the Red Demon. Since Demon is a JTTS, he’s incapable of hooking the leg, making it easy for Ware to avoid being pinned. Eventually Koko makes a comeback and finishes Demon off with a series of moves including a poor looking belly-to-belly suplex and his missile dropkick. For whatever reason, the referee fast counts. Ware was a perfect JTTS/Lowcarder. Awful in the ring, but he was loaded with charisma. * ½

Up next is an edition of Piper’s Pit with Jimmy Hart. Although taped earlier in the month, an angle on Superstars just aired earlier in the day with Hart giving Piper a bunch of prank gifts, causing Piper to tie him up in the ropes and pour listerine down his throat. Hart would then claim Piper was only able to do all of that on Superstars since Bob Orton Jr and the Hart Foundation weren’t at the show, leaving Hart alone. Onto this Philly Spectrum Piper’s Pit and Hart now has back-up, bringing out the Red Demon as his bodyguard for the night. Naturally, Piper attacks Demon right away, causing the Demon to run off, leaving Hart all alone. Some fan comes into the ring, causing Piper to hold Hart and giving the fan a chance to say absolutely anything to Hart, but to be mindful of keeping it clean. So what does the fan say? “You’re a ******, Jimmy Hart!” Holy shit, kid, Piper said to keep it clean! After the fan leaves, Piper agrees to let Hart tie him up, as part of the condition to get Hart back on Piper’s Pit. Piper gets in some good one-liners as Hart takes forever to get a good knot on Piper. Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away, Admiral Ackbar is going crazy. Hart and Piper have a fun exchange before Piper preps to attack Hart until Ace Bob Orton runs out and attacks Piper instead. Piper and Orton have a brief fight before Hart and Orton run off to the back. Considering how much fun Hart/Piper was, I’m surprised we didn’t get a Roddy Piper vs Ace Bob Orton and Jimmy Hart handicap match at the November ‘86 Philly Spectrum event.

Randy Savage © w/Miss Elizabeth vs The Honky Tonk Man - WWE IC Title
    Well this is unique. These two wrestled a million times, but this is the first time I’m seeing a match between the two where Savage is the champion and HTM is the babyface. At this point in time, Honky had only been on TV for a few weeks and in order to get him over as one of the top babyfaces, many of the major faces, including Hulk Hogan, endorsed HTM as their buddy. Honky as a babyface got over about as well as Roman Reigns being booked to win a Royal Rumble match or a Wrestlemania main event. Thanks to the eventual Vote of Confidence and heel turn, Honky went from being a massive flop to a huge success to such a degree that some speculate that this original babyface character was booked to be a failure and he was always intended to be a heel. While watching this match, it’s hard not to wonder if babyface Honky was meant to fail because he came across as such a geek. The commentators openly laugh at his look thanks to the suspenders and he kept messing up to the point he’d try pinning Savage right against the ropes. There’s a few negative Honky shouts by the crowd, but since Honky is still so new, the fans haven’t quite turned on him yet. The match is garbage, with Honky struggling to tell a story. The only appeal of the match is seeing Savage heel it up on Honky, giving HTM low blows, and screwing Honky over by intentionally getting HMT counted out in order to retain the title. The fact that HTM was so protected couldn’t have done him any favors in appealing to the fans either. *

Hillbilly Jim vs Mr. Fuji - Tuxedo Match
    This was set-up the previous month where Hillbilly Jim beat Fuji’s main client, Don Muraco, by DQ at the previous Philly Spectrum event. As a result, Hillbilly challenged Fuji to a tuxedo match for the next Philly event. Despite coming in with so much momentum as Hulk Hogan’s new BFF, having an entire Hillbilly clan centered around him, and even having an early Coliseum Home Video dedicated to him, Hillbilly Jim’s push came to a quick end after breaking his leg earlier in the year. This was a nothing much. On paper, it doesn’t sound very interesting, but it was somehow even more dull than expected. They tried to stretch the match out with some time filler, but eventually Fuji had his clothes ripped off (Sorta) to apparently give Hillbilly the victory. Fuji sold the embarrassment of being out there in his underwear good though. Definitely a match that works better with the live crowd rather than seeing it on video thirty-one years later. ½ *

Kamala w/Kim Chee vs Lanny Poffo
    Kamala had just recently returned to the WWE following his brief 1984 run that inexplicably only lasted around six months. Although Kamala is probably best known for his third WWE run (1992-1993) it was this second run (1986-1987) that actually saw Kamala do some great business with Hulk Hogan. Obviously, it’s Hogan, so it was going to draw, but it’s probably one of Hogan’s best drawing series of matches that doesn’t receive much credit. On paper, this didn’t look interesting, but I ended up loving it. Instead of just having it be a squash, Poffo got in a lot of offense, primary by avoiding the big man. The fun only continued after Kamala went on offense when HOLY FUCKING SHIT, Kamala leap frogged over a charging Poffo! Kamala then put Poffo away with a big splash to get the victory. Kamala was apparently motivated, knowing that he’s being prepared to battle Hogan soon. Yet, credit also deserves to be given to whoever decided that Poffo would get in some offense to keep this exciting and surprising. Seriously, I expected this to be trash, but it’s the best match thus far. ** ½

WWE announcer, Mel “I never encountered a child’s foot I didn’t love” Phillips, advertises the card for the next time the WWE is in town at the Philly Spectrum. The card thus far for November 8th includes:

Danny Spivey vs Moondog Spot
    Dick Slater vs Moondog Rex
    Pedro Morales vs Sika
    King Kong Bundy vs Mike Rotundo (Million Dollar Corporation explodes~!)
    WWE Women’s Tag Titles will be defended (Not even bothering to announce the teams )
    King Harley Race vs George Steele
    The Hart Foundation vs The Islanders
    Randy Savage © vs Ricky Steamboat - WWE IC Title
    Roddy Piper vs Ace Bob Orton

On paper, that’s not a strong card at all. It’s made even worse when checking out the results and seeing that King Kong Bundy and Danny Spivey had been replaced by Iron Mike Sharpe and Jerry Allen. Not surprisingly, that Spectrum event didn’t bring too many fans to the building, only having an attendance of a little over 7,000 (A sell-out is approx 19,000). Luckily, the Harts/Islanders and Steamboat/Savage matches would both likely be quite good. Piper/Orton could be fun too.

Hulk Hogan © vs Paul Orndorff w/Bobby Heenan - WWE World Title
    Match two of their three match series at the Philly Spectrum in 1986. Due to the fact that Orndorff won the first match by DQ, if Hogan is DQ’d here, he will lose the title. I do love the touch of having Orndorff come out to Hogan’s own theme song for these matches. It’s such a dick move. Thanks to the DQ rule, this match had a really fun story. Orndorff and Heenan went into this match with the plan of conning Hogan into getting himself DQ’d. It’s all about pissing Hogan off. Right from the beginning, Orndorff is attacking Hogan with Heenan covering Hogan’s head with Orndorff’s robe. Later, while Hogan is down on the mat and the referee is yelling at Orndorff, Heenan grabs a chair and slips it onto Hogan. Practically begging Hogan to use the chair. Hogan wants to, he wants to badly, but he’s able to avoid the temptation. Meanwhile, Orndorff and Heenan are supreme assholes and cheat at every turn including Heenan distracting the referee while Mr. Wonderful busts Hogan open with the chair to the head. There’s even a tease of Orndorff winning after he nails his piledriver finisher. Since this is WWE Hogan and not babyface WCW Hogan, Hogan sells the finisher by just rolling to the outside, selling the effects of the big move. Had this been babyface WCW Hogan, I’m sure he would have completely no sold the piledriver. Hogan finally makes a comeback, but this is his former friend who has been trying to steal the belt away from him in this match. Hogan isn’t satisfied with just beating Orndorff, he wants to punish Mr. Wonderful. That goes into the finish as Heenan is unintentionally distracting the refree, allowing Hogan to use the same chair that busted him open, to hit Orndorff on the outside without being caught. As Orndorff is selling the effects of the chair strike, he’s counted out, allowing Hogan to retain the title. Love the poetic justice of the very chair that the heels thought would bring them the World Title, whether by Hogan using it to get DQ’d or the heels using it behind the ref’s back, ended up costing them the belt. This is a rare match where a count-out finish is still rewarding despite the fact that this match serves a purpose of setting up a rematch with a steel cage match being set for the December Philly Spectrum event. Quite a fun match. *** ¼

Overall
    I ended up watching this solely because it’s the first televised WWE live event after I was born and it was shaping up to be one of the worst I had seen. Luckily, the final two matches do save the show. For something so short and really just a squash, the Kamala/Poffo match greatly exceeded my expectations. Then the main event managed to tell a full story while also just being a part two in a three part series. The Piper's Pit with Jimmy Hart is a fun segment as well that helped give a bit of build-up to the next Spectrum event, even if the angle that truly matters (Piper vs Adonis) isn't happening until much later. The rest of the show is pretty lousy, even if some aspects like babyface HTM vs heel Savage feeling unique.

People's Champion

Status

Awesome. Happy to see you are still doing these old school reviews.

Is this show on the network?

I hope you review LA Sports arena 10.16.88 soon. In fact the show on 08.13.88 at the same venue has an awesome Owen hart vs Horowitz match

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Awesome. Happy to see you are still doing these old school reviews.

Is this show on the network?

I hope you review LA Sports arena 10.16.88 soon. In fact the show on 08.13.88 at the same venue has an awesome Owen hart vs Horowitz match
    Nope.

I looked on Youtube and found a copy of the event that you can watch though. It goes from the beginning until approx 2 hours and 20 minutes when the show gets partially repeated or whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSKrkkqDvw

Sweet Meat

Status

Wait, what did the kid call Piper? There's a few words that could fit in that spot

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Wait, what did the kid call Piper? There's a few words that could fit in that spot
    Oh, the word is still censored here. Think six letters and homophobic that begins with F. And the kid called Jimmy Hart it, not Piper.

Thread Information