Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to the matches - Reviewing WWF House Shows

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: WWE Copps Coliseum May 1, 1989 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It's very possible he just didn't have his heart in it thanks to the gimmick. Unlike Dusty Rhodes, he gave up instead of trying to have some fun with it.
    Most likely, Vince and Patterson really loved those guys who lived their gimmicks. I know that he left the WWF because they wanted him to lose to DiBiase and have a $100 bill stuffed in his mouth which he initially said he wouldn't do but later agreed to. Kind of a douche move when you think about it and a definite sign that he was not a company man there at all.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Star Wars Characters~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

Going back through the results, I'm thinking there had to be a problem before the DiBiase match. Despite leaving in June 1990, the last pinfall win Rooster had over anyone of value was Boris Zhukov (Not exactly something I would be bragging about though) on June 22, 1989. That final year, Rooster's biggest wins came against the Brooklyn Brawler and Al Perez, but even then, he lost a lot against them too.

Something had to have happened between Wrestlemania 5 and June 1989. It seems weird that they'd use Rooster in such a big feud with Heenan, but then quickly job him out.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Going back through the results, I'm thinking there had to be a problem before the DiBiase match. Despite leaving in June 1990, the last pinfall win Rooster had over anyone of value was Boris Zhukov (Not exactly something I would be bragging about though) on June 22, 1989. That final year, Rooster's biggest wins came against the Brooklyn Brawler and Al Perez, but even then, he lost a lot against them too.

Something had to have happened between Wrestlemania 5 and June 1989. It seems weird that they'd use Rooster in such a big feud with Heenan, but then quickly job him out.
    I didn't realize his results had been so piss poor for so long leading to him leaving the company. I was skimming through a review of his shoot interview just now and came upon this little tidbit of information about Randy Savage...

He had a lot of heat with Savage during that run because he talked to Miss Elizabeth. He didn’t know that Randy had a rule that NO ONE talked to her. He said that Randy buried him to the locker room instead of telling him man to man and, as a result, everybody hated his guts.

Perhaps having the entire locker room against you was helping to sufficiently de-motivate him past the point of no return?

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

I would imagine the heat would just cause the bookers to use Taylor less. Even if Taylor isn't in the wrong, who in their right mind would choose to piss Savage off?

Squash Fodder

Status

Rude and Warrior had crazy chemistry.

The odd thing about Rude for me was that I never liked his matches in the WWF -- they all seemed to drag on for too long and were filled with too many restholds/posing spots. Aside from his MSG steel cage match with Piper which I thought was pretty good, he had a few really good matches with the Warrior, of all people. Looking back though, you can really see his growth as a performer.

Rude is one of those guys that I really didn't buy into as a top-shelf heel until his WCW run started, which I guess is a testament to the awesomeness of his initial push there against Sting. Before that point, he more or less seemed like a mid-card comedy heel to me and it certainly hurt my appreciation for his work.

While Rude was better in WCW than WWF, I would still say he was one hell of a great worker in the WWF. If you haven't seen it, watch Rude vs Roddy Piper from MSG in September 1989. It's even better than their cage match. We're talking a legit WWE MOTYC. It just took Rude a couple of years with the company before he found his grove.

Squash Fodder

Status

While Rude was better in WCW than WWF, I would still say he was one hell of a great worker in the WWF. If you haven't seen it, watch Rude vs Roddy Piper from MSG in September 1989. It's even better than their cage match. We're talking a legit WWE MOTYC. It just took Rude a couple of years with the company before he found his grove.
    Yeah, that's what I was saying -- looking back at his WWF work now, you can really see his growth from 1988 on up. I just always sort of dismissed him as a guy in WWF, because his act seemed to place him right squarely in the middle of the pack and I just never took him seriously. He definitely held his own though. What made him seem better in WCW for me, while due somewhat to an improved work-ethic, was mostly just the opportunity to take him seriously as a big time heel with a mean-streak.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Rude was as solid and dependable as you could get in both companies but I do feel he was utilized slightly better in WCW and obviously had more quality matches there. That being said he was always on his game in the WWF as well and certainly did wonders for the Warrior before the Savage program elevated him even further. I have not seen the MSG match but am about to watch it, the cage match was great, though I've heard many times of people not liking it.

EDIT: I missed the Savage response earlier Jim but you're right on the money. I couldn't think of anyone who would be dumb enough to piss off Savage, especially at that point in his career.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 04-27-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Squash Fodder

Status

So out of curiosity what would you guys evaluate as Rude's peak as an overall performer?

I'd go with either his first WCW feud with Sting or his next feud with Ricky Steamboat.

One thing I always found weird was that they had Rude attack Sting shortly after he won the WCW World Title, but then they never gave them a PPV blowoff for the feud, mostly just non-title house show matches and tag team bouts.

They pretty much kept Rude paired with Steamboat, while having Sting spending half the time feuding with Cactus Jack and the rest with the Dangerous Alliance, before dropping the title to Vader. I think the booking team was going through some dramatic shifts at the time, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Honestly, I can't say Rude has ever looked better than when feuding with Warrior. Don't get me wrong, Rude's matches with Steamboat were better, but for God's sake...it's Steamboat. Rude's work against Warrior showed just how smart of a worker he could be. Against Steamboat, Rude wouldn't need to try as hard to have as good of a match or better.

So really, if you want to see Rude at his peak individual performance, watch his 1989 Warrior matches.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

As I said before Rude did wonders for the Warrior and I consider his work with him to be nothing short of brilliant. I'd actually have been interested in the proposed Rude/Bossman feud that never came to light because of his leaving the company. I'd have to concur with Jim though, its easier to pull off a 4 star match with Steamboat than it is to pull off a 3 star match with Warrior.

EDIT: Just watched the Piper/Rude MSG match and I've got to say it was great. The crowd's hatred for Rude was off the charts. Rude's selling, in particular his facial expressions, was top notch, he really had that part down. Piper did an excellent job of remembering that his back had just been worked over for 3 minutes when he tried to slam Rude but couldn't. You just don't see things like that today, well not much anyways. Well worth watching for those that haven't, thanks Jim!
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 04-27-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Squash Fodder

Status

^ Yeah, I have no doubt that would have been a good match, with both of those guys hitting their peak at about the same time. I love Bossman's stuff in 1990 till about the end of his first year in WCW.

WWE MSG January 15, 1990 Review

Madison Square Garden
    January 15, 1990

The Genius vs Jim Neidhart
    The Genius kills a lot of time early on by stalling. It's all great Genius antics, so I'm already loving the match before the first lock-up. Once Neidhart has enough of Genius' antics, he surprises the Genius with a forearm that sends the Genius to the outside. Back in, The Genius takes over thanks to some eye rakes. The Genius' move sets consists entirely of punches, kicks and eye rakes. Neidhart makes a minor come back with an inverted Atomic Drop, but The Genius runs out of the ring. As Neidhart chases the Genius back in the ring, Mr. Perfect runs out and clobbers Neidhart behind the ref's back. Rolling Neidhart in the ring, Perfect allows Genius to easily pin Neidhart to get the victory. Wow, what a lame ending. Gorilla Monsoon tried to claim that Perfect hit Neidhart with a foreign object, but it was clear on the replay that there was no such object. In terms of workrate, this was a pretty lousy match as most of the action was just stalling. However, the Genius was perfect for the live audiences and house shows. The crowd was into everything which is always the goal for the opening match. But man, the ending needed work if they wanted to not make Neidhart out to look like a fool. 1 1/2 Stars.

The Powers of Pain w/Mr. Fuji vs The Rockers
    The POP are just killing time until they're broken up on TV a month from now. Early on, the Rockers are in control thanks to their tag moves and their quick tags. However, once The Warlord has enough of these games, he uses his power to take down Jannetty. From there, it's some classic face-in-peril action with the POP working over Jannetty's back. Warlord hits a HUGE back body drop. Mr. Fuji even gets in on the action by nailing Jannetty with his cane behind the ref's back. Barbarian rams Jannetty back first into the ring post. Jannetty has a couple of great hope spots including a moment where he goes off punching The Warlord by jumping on Warlord and really bringing the hate. After the second hope spot fails by being caught in mid air by The Barbarian with a power slam, Jannetty finally gets the hot tag to Shawn. Things look to be going The Rockers way until Fuji trips of Michaels, allowing The Barbarian to get the pin following an elbow. After the match, The Rockers look for revenge on Fuji, but POP breaks it up. Powers of Pain further injures Marty, forcing the medical staff to stretcher Jannetty away. Second match of the night and the second time outside interference leads to the finish after a small hit. What's with the lame finishes? This was pretty great tag wrestling 101 though. Things were kept simple and the story was built around how powerful The Powers of Pain were. Even a guy like The Warlord doesn't have any problem making it work well. The Rockers can make anyone look good. Great post-match angle that makes me want to see a rematch, fix the ending and you would have a good little gem. 3 1/4 Stars.

Al Perez vs Paul Roma
    Talk about a pointless match. Since being broken up with Jim Powers, Paul Roma had only been used as a JTTS. Meanwhile, Perez came into the company seemingly ready for a push, but wasn't used as anything special on TV. So all of his big moments came from house shows. As a result, you have one guy who's a step above being a jobber against a guy who "Doesn't exist" (Or at least that's how I'd classify guys who only receive pushes at house shows IE. Chris Walker). A lot of the same moves are repeated without the crowd caring. Perez tries to work as a heel, but the only heat he gets is silence. Near the end when the two are working on their hundredth repeated spot, there's a loud "Boring" chant. Finally, Roma goes for a cross body from the top rope, but Perez simple rolls through and gets the surprise pin. Once again, another lame finish that shouldn't properly finish a wrestler. Neither Perez nor Roma are what I'd consider poor wrestlers, but the crowd didn't have a single reason to care about this. Sadly, it didn't seem as if either guy was wanting to put in the energy to pull the fans in. 3/4 Star.

Hulk Hogan (c) vs Mr. Perfect w/The Genius - WWE World Title
    Part of their late '89/early '90 feud that sadly was pushed to the side in order to see Hogan and Warrior feud. Early on, Hogan easily dominates Perfect and The Genius to the extent that I was beginning to worry that Perfect would end up looking like a chump. Eventually, Perfect takes over with various cheating methods including the ever popular eye rake. Hulk becomes the first (?) man to kick out of the Perfect Plex and even Hulks Up after it. Perfect tries running away, which leads to some fighting on the outside. Behind the ref's back, Perfect nails Hogan with a pair of brass knuckles, to nearly get Hogan counted out for being on the outside. Hulk makes it back in before the ten count though. Once again, Perfect tries to use the brass knuckles, but Hogan steals them to knock Perfect out. Hogan goes for the cover, but the referee calls for the bell. Perfect wins by DQ, but Hogan retains the title. For a massive overseller, Perfect managed to keep it fairly in check. Instead of the overselling being a negative, it only made Hulk look like a bigger star. Similarly to the Rockers match, this was a very basic formula that is nearly impossible to mess up. Hogan knows how to sell and both The Genius and Perfect were bumping machines. With Perfect not being pinned, you're at least keeping him looking strong (And I believe undefeated), so he got something out of this. An enjoyable Hogan paint by numbers match. Check out their SNME 26 bout for an even better match. 2 1/2 Stars.

Akeem vs Bret Hart
    Sadly, Slick isn't with Akeem. Slick was actually in Ohio wrestling Sapphire on this night. Undoubtedly, a forgotten five star match if there ever was one. All kidding aside, on a card that also had Tugboat vs Frenchy Martin and The Bushwackers vs The Bolsheviks, Slick vs Sapphire may have not been the worst match of the night. Bret uses his speed to stay away from Akeem. On the outside, Hart ducks a punch, causing Akeem to punch the ring post. Even worse than having a broken hand is the fact that the ring post didn't even sell the punch. Bret works in some great psychology by working over the hand of Akeem. This includes pulling the fingers apart, slamming the hand on the top rope and knee strikes while the hand is flat on the mat. Bret makes the critical mistake of headbutting Akeem, which only hurts Bret. Akeem takes over and slowly recovers from his injured hand. Bret tries to make a comeback, but the referee has such a slow reaction time that obvious three counts are barely getting ones. Hart attempts a sunset flip into a pin, but Akeem squashes Bret by sitting down. Akeem picks up the win as Gorilla Monsoon wonders if Bret has some broken ribs. Now that is how you have a simple move lead to the end of the match. I can believe Akeem jumping and landing ass first on your chest can cause you to be down for a three count. I found myself really enjoying this thanks to all that Bret did. For Bret, everything he did made sense. Early on, he knew he had to stay away from Akeem if he wanted a shot at winning. When Akeem got hurt, Bret focused on the injured body part, even if it was just a hand. At the end, Bret was trying a lot of quick covers to get the win. I'll never admit to being a Akeem fan, but this was easily the most I've enjoyed one of his matches. Is there anyone Bret can't get a good match out of? 2 3/4 Stars.

Honky Tonk Man and Greg Valentine w/Jimmy Hart vs Ron Garvin and Jimmy Snuka
    This is the continuation of the great Garvin/Valentine feud. Similarly, Snuka and HTM have been feuding since the previous summer. Amazingly enough, I don't remember a single thing about that feud. They weren't even on opposing teams at the Survivor Series. I suppose it's possible that Snuka/HTM was just a house show feud, otherwise, that's one hell of a lame feud. Snuka and HTM starts off the match with a lot of stalling. Once it gets going, there's a lot of quick tags from both teams to keep the match from being bogged down. The main story of the match revolved around Valentine's Heart Breaker and Garvin's Hammer Jammer. When Valentine originally locked in the Figure Four, Garvin's Heart Breaker kept him from feeling any pain. Similarly to the Rumble, Garvin instead just makes goofy faces at Valentine. This eventually leads to HTM removing the Heart Breaker while Garvin is in a tree of woe. This allows Valentine to lock in the Figure Four again. Despite Snuka breaking up the hold, Garvin does a great job at selling his leg. He originally can't even stand on it. Garvin gets the tag and things break down near the end. Garvin manages to remove the Heart Breaker and nail Valentine with it. Just as he's about to lock in the Sharpshooter, the bell rings. The twenty minute time limit had expired. I was not looking forward to watching this, but I actually really dug this. All of the tags kept the match interesting to me and I can't get enough of the Valentine/Garvin feud. It built up to the point where I was dying to see Garvin get his revenge. So when he was robbed of that due to the time limit expiring, it only made me want to see it more instead of feeling robbed. With their Royal Rumble match airing the following week, there's even more anticipation for it. Probably the most I've enjoyed a Valentine/HTM tag match. 3 Stars.

The Fink is out to announce the card for the next MSG show (Feb 19th):
    Tito Santana is in action
    Rick Martel vs The Red Rooster
    Ron Garvin vs Earthquake
    Bad News Brown vs Jimmy Snuka
    Akeem vs Dusty Rhodes
    The Powers of Pain and Mr. Fuji vs The Rockers and Jim Duggan
    Hulk Hogan vs Mr. Perfect and The Genius - 2 on 1 handicap match (Announced as first ever 2 on 1 handicap match in MSG history)

Hmm, not the strongest MSG card ever. Snuka vs Bad News wouldn't happen. Buddy Rose would end up being Santana's opponent. The six man tag could be fun though. The handicap match would be turned into a tag match with Brutus Beefcake teaming with Hogan. Fink's original claim that Hogan vs Perfect and The Genius as being the first handicap match at MSG was incorrect. Sgt. Slaughter, Haystacks Calhoun, Bruno Sammartino and Gorilla Monsoon were all involved in ones. Interestingly, Slaughter had the last one in 1984 and he'd have the next one in 1991.

Ted DiBiase (c) w/Virgil vs Jake Roberts - Million Dollar Title
    Another match of their '89 feud that went into 1990, lead to the Big Boss Man's face turn and ended at Wrestlemania 6. The first seven-ten minutes is all Jake with a side headlock on DiBiase. Yes, it's as boring as it sounds. Once DiBiase takes over after countering a running knee strike, he works over Jake's previously injured neck (DiBiase had injured it in 1989). Jake keeps trying the DDT, but DiBiase is always able to avoid it. Roberts changes up his strategy as he shifts his focus towards DiBiase's back. As the two are battling on the outside, DiBiase makes it back inside, but Virgil attacks Roberts. Roberts goes on a warpath to beat down Virgil. Jake is finally makes it back in the ring to DDT DiBiase and cover him. The ref calls for the bell, ruling that Roberts was counted out. Ugh. After the match, Roberts throws Damien on Earl Hebner. The match was twenty minutes long with over half of it being rest holds. Things were only made worse with the BS ending that was similar to the Hogan/Perfect match. What makes this match so frustrating is that I know they're capable of having good matches together. I love their Wrestlemania 6 match, but from all of their house show matches I've seen, it's all just a waste of time. On the plus side, whenever they rarely were physical and picked up the pace, the crowd was loud and I was into it. Sadly, there wasn't enough of that. 1 Star.

Overall
    Well, this sums up 1990 nicely. When you compare it to 1989, the workrate is drastically lower. A good show is one that has a few decent matches without much pure crap. The biggest reason for the drop in quality was The Rockers. No, it's not that they stopped being awesome, but rather they lost their great heel teams they could wrestle. The Brainbusters were now gone and the Rougeau Brothers would be done after the Royal Rumble. As a result, they were stuck with subpar teams such as Powers of Pain, Dino Bravo/Greg Valentine, Demolition (Crush and Smash version) and Power and Glory. They're normally able to get good matches, but they can't compare to the amazing MOTYC's that they were having in 1989. The finishes from this show was also pretty lame. There were three DQ, draw or count-outs and three that ended with a rather unremarkable move. The only match that had a good finish was Akeem vs Bret Hart. If you skip Perez vs Roma and Roberts/DiBiase, it's not a bad show. Both tag matches were really good, Bret got a good match out of Akeem and Hogan/Perfect was another fine match between the two.

WWE MSG February 19, 1990 Review

Madison Square Garden
    February 19, 1990

Buddy Rose vs Tito Santana
    A rematch from the opening match from Wrestlemania 1. Rose had just returned to the WWE earlier in the month. Before the match, Rose plays up his fat man gimmick as he tries to determine which side of the arena wants to see him take off his shirt the most. Early on, Rose works on Tito's back with that move where you slingshot your opponent into the ropes and he falls backwards onto your knees. This may have been the earliest I've seen that done. Interestingly, Rose keeps Tito laying on his knees as if it's a submission. It doesn't look too effective and it's easy for Tito to escape (Just sit up), but it's something different. Santana comes back and we Rose ends up messing with the draw string on his tights more than selling. Finally, Santana wins with the flying forearm. While the match started off great, it lost it's direction once Tito was no longer selling. My main problem seemed to be the match length. From the opening to end bell, it lasted nearly twenty minutes. Chop off a good five minutes at least and you would have had an awesome little match with the heel working over the back before Santana's comeback to winning. Rose was good on offense while Santana is just good overall, so it's still a solid opening match. 2 1/2 Stars.

Earthquake vs Ron Garvin
    I could have swore these two met at a SNME or Wrestlemania around this time. I guess I'm just thinking of Earthquake's attack on Garvin after Ronnie's SNME match against Dino Bravo. Pretty simple match with Garvin using his brute toughness to try and match Earthquake's power. The commentating is really what helped me enjoy the match though. The team of Gorilla Monsoon, Hillbilly Jim and Bobby Heenan made for some great lines. Heenan "Is it okay if I call you Hillbilly or Jim? What about Mr. Hillbilly Jim? See, I can be nice. It'd be rude of me to call him "Hick!" " In something that completely blew my mind, Hillbilly Jim kept using Larry Sweeney's "Aint no doubt about it" line. How crazy would it have been had Sweeney stole the line from Hillbilly Jim of all people? Anyways, Earthquake catches Garvin from the top rope and slams him to the mat. Earthquake sit down squash follows to get the win. After the match, Quake does the move a couple more times to Garvin, forcing the medical staff to carry Garvin away on a stretcher. Maybe it's just the commentating, but I found myself really enjoying this. Unlike the previous match, this match lasted just long enough without starting to drag on. Earthquake ends up looking like a million bucks, but since it wasn't a short squash, Garvin isn't hurt by it. 2 1/2 Stars.

Rick Martel vs The Red Rooster
    Bobby Heenan really going over the top in attacking Hillbilly Jim during the commentating helped add to the match. The first half is all Red Rooster while Martel stalling by doing various taunts. At first, Rooster works on Martel's arm/shoulder to weaken it for his chicken wing submission. However, it's once Rooster moves out of the way of a charging Martel, The Model injures his knee. This allows some great selling by Martel to begin. Near the end though, Martel is able to come back and begins working over the back. This allows him to force Rooster to tap out to the Boston Crab. At twenty-one minutes, this was far too long. There were various "Boring" chants throughout the match and for good reason. I really dug Martel's selling, but they still had to tell a story of Rooster hurting his back, so it was going to be a long match. Near the end, they picked up the pace to FINALLY get the crowd into the match. The referee being so slow in his counts didn't help matters either. Terry Taylor just sucked in the WWE, but the match did have it's high points. It continues the trend of decent, but not bad matches. 2 1/2 Stars.

Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake vs Mr. Perfect and The Genius
    Brutus was added to the great Hogan/Perfect program after he cut the hair of the Genius at the Royal Rumble. The Genius gives away the start of the match as he quickly removes his robe and hat, making it clear that there was going to be some sort of fight before the bell. The heels gain control over Hogan with a shot to the back of his head with the Genius' scroll. This leads to the first face-in-peril sequence as the heels continue to work on Hogan. The Genius is just stealing the show with his antics while Hillbilly Jim busts out a bunch of PG gay jokes. Once the hot tag occurs, Brutus is only able to be in control for a bit before the scroll is once again used. Classic tag wrestling with the heels double teaming behind the ref's back every chance they get, Genius chokes Brutus with a tag rope and Hogan gets the tag behind the ref's back, but must go back out. All of this finally leads to the second hot tag of the match with Hogan taking over. Hogan gets the win over the Genius (To keep Perfect undefeated) with the leg drop. After the match, Perfect runs away while Brutus cuts off more of the Genius' hair. Man, this was loads of fun. Perfect and The Genius were a great heel team while Hogan and Brutus kept the fans in the match. The ending wasn't quite as exciting as it should have been, but the match was far better than I would have imagined. My biggest pet peeve of Mr. Perfect (Overselling) was kept to a minimal, so he was just entertaining. Way better than the Warrior/Hogan vs Perfect/Genius SNME match that happened a month prior. 3 Stars.

Bad News Brown vs Jim Brunzell
    I'm not sure what the story is on Brunzell. This is only his second match back after returning to the WWE (First match was the day before). He had last wrestled in November 1989, but he only worked two matches in 1989. His last full time match was in November 1988. Brunzell controlled the match early on due to using a mat game to out wrestle Bad News. Brown gains control as he whips Brunzell into the steel railing on the outside. Behind the ref's back, Brown removes a turnbuckle. Brunzell blocks the exposed steel shot and smashes Bad New's face into the exposed turnbuckle. The moron doesn't go for a pin, but instead hits some European Uppercuts and other moves before finally trying to win. Bad News makes him pay with the Ghettoblaster to win the match. Looking at the match, I expected this to suck. It was over fifteen minutes long and man could Bad News Brown be boring. However, this wasn't too bad. Brunzell kept things exciting and I actually thought he would win when he rammed Brown's head into the exposed turnbuckle. It wasn't an amazing match or anything, but once again, exceeded my expectations. 2 3/4 Stars.

Akeem w/Slick vs Dusty Rhodes w/Sapphire
    THE AFRICAN DREAM VS AMERICAN DREAM~! This match is sorta a continuation of the Boss Man/Rhodes feud that sorta ended at SNME 24. Boss Man is now a babyface, but Slick still hates Sapphire, so the match still has some purpose. Dull match with both guys slowly attacking each other. Akeem is tied up in the ropes and received ten punches in the corner. The two fights on the outside, but Slick accidentally kicks Akeem in a totally awesome kung-fu/Human Tornado type kick. This allows Rhodes to climb back in the ring before the ten count. Akeem is counted out. Even though it was under ten minutes, it felt even longer than Brunzell/Brown. Luckily, I got to hear two of the best theme songs in history. So if nothing else, I enjoyed some aspect of the match. Sadly, it was before the bell rang. 1 1/2 Stars.

The Fink is out to announce the matches for the next time the WWE is at MSG. The card thus far for March 19, 1990:

- Hercules vs ???
    - Koko B. Ware vs ???
    - Demolition vs Orient Express (Orient Express' MSG debut)
    - Jim Duggan vs Earthquake
    - Dino Bravo vs Brutus Beefcake
    - Roddy Piper vs Rick Martel
    - Ultimate Warrior vs Mr. Perfect

The two final matches could be pretty good. Looking at the actual results, Bret Hart would replace Roddy Piper to face Martel. Now there's an upgrade. Hercules faces Black Bart while Koko faces Frenchy Martin. I didn't even know Frenchy was still around in 1990.

The Powers of Pain and Mr. Fuji vs The Rockers and Jim Duggan
    The heels control most of the match, with a long face-in-peril segment with Shawn. The camera manages to catch a young girl crying while holding up a poster of Shawn. That's priceless. In a nice hidden highlight, Heenan compliments The Barbarian several times in the match. To go along with his hint that he was going to add a new member of the Heenan Family earlier in the night, he subtly hinted at The Barbarian. Michaels gets the hot tag to Duggan, but Duggan has little success against the much stronger team. While he's not in often, Fuji is effective in doing some random karate like moves and tagging back out. Jannetty gets the tag and is lucky enough to get Fuji alone in the ring. All six man ends up fighting while Fuji pulls out a bag of powder. Before he can use it on Jannetty, Duggan blindsides him with a 2x4 shot, behind the ref's back. Jannetty pins Fuji to win the match. Ha, the babyfaces were such cheaters! With the heels dominating, the faces only won because of the cheating. While it wasn't quite as entertaining as the previous month's POP vs Rockers, it's still another quality Rockers' tag. POP were great when they were able to showcase their power and strength. Due to their size, the Rockers were the perfect opponents for them. 2 3/4 Stars.

Overall
    That's 1990 for you. The best was just three stars while the rest was just in the decent category. Minus the Akeem/Rhodes match, there wasn't a bad match though. Matches such as the tag team match and Bad News vs Brunzell exceeded my expectations while Tito/Rose wasn't quite what I hoped. It's a pity that the WWE moved from the Hogan/Perfect feud to the Warrior/Hogan angle around this time period. The Hogan/Perfect feud was easily the best thing going in the WWE. There isn't much more to say about the show since it's fairly unremarkable. Check out Hogan/Brutus vs Perfect/Genius for some enjoyable tag wrestling from a couple of makeshift teams.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: WWE MSG February 19, 1990 Review

Nice review, interesting read!

WWE Maple Leaf Gardens October 8, 1989 Review

Maple Leaf Gardens
    October 8, 1989

Boris Zhukov vs Paul Roma
    I feel as if I did something truly horrible in a past life whenever I watch a show with a Boris Zhukov match. Within the first ten seconds, a guy is already screaming "Boring!" Roma controls the early going with a side headlock and keeping Boris at bay by pulling at the Russian's beard. Roma works over the head with punches and ramming Boris head first into the turnbuckle. Zhukov takes over and things slow to a mind numbing pace. Long periods of a bear hug and a side headlock. Boring stuff. Things finally pick up when Roma makes his comeback. Roma jumps from the top rope with a crossbody, but Zhukov rolls through to get a two count. Whipped into the ropes, Zhukov eats a power slam to lose the match. The portions with Roma in control was perfectly fine. Roma could be deemed as an underrated talent because he was actually a fairly good worker. For this match, he brought speed to an otherwise incredibly slow opponent. Still, Zhukov worked his magic to cause me to be nearly fall asleep as he does in most of his matches. At around fifteen minutes, too long of a match. Poor opener. 1 1/2 Stars.

Greg Valentine vs Ron Garvin
    No Jimmy Hart, so I'm guessing he's with the Honky Tonk Man in another city. Oh yeah, this will put hair on your chest. An epic test of strength using their full bodies begins the match. When that doesn't result in a winner, they change directions by having a boxing match. Garvin just murders Valentine. Valentine comes back with some awesome chops that looks as if they could knock Garvin's head off. Garvin keeps control for most of the match. Garvin attempts his Sharpshooter, but each time he tries to lock it in, Valentine goes for the eyes. Valentine works over Garvin's knee to set him up for the Figure Four. Using his shin guard, the heartbreaker, Valentine really lays in the damage, but Garvin reaches the ropes to break up the Figure Four. Finally, Garvin manages to rip the heartbreaker off, but while the referee is restraining him from hitting Valentine with it, The Hammer sneaks behind and rolls Garvin up. With a fistful of tights, Valentine picks up the cheap win. You really can't go wrong with Valentine/Garvin. It's such a battle of "Who's the real man?" that I'm glued to the screen whenever they wrestled. The finish was a little underwhelming, but it played up to Valentine's heelish ways to keep the program going. 3 1/4 Stars.

The Powers of Pain w/Mr. Fuji vs The Bushwackers
    Well, at least this is a battle between two legitimate tag teams. When Luke is first tagged in against The Warlord, there's this great moment where he's tilting his head from side to side. It's as if he's trying to size up The Warlord, but can't quite believe what he's seeing. Those great facial expressions was the highlight of the match. A long face-in-peril segment from Butch that just slowed down the match. Hot tag to Luke and the Bushwackers clear house. Behind the ref's back, Mr. Fuji comes in to nail a Bushwacker with his cane, but the ref turns around just in time to catch Fuji. Bushwackers win by DQ. It was what it was. When it comes to these two teams, you never go into the match expecting anything good. Whenever the Bushwackers were in control, it was fun. Otherwise, it was just watchable. If nothing else, it wasn't as boring as the first match whenever Zhukov was on offense. 1 3/4 Stars.

Canadian wrestling legend, Billy Red Lyons, calls out Bobby Heenan. Heenan gets some cheap heat by informing the Toronto fans that the Blue Jays were losing 5-3 against Oakland at the nearby baseball game. Just a correction, but looking up the score to see if Oakland ended up winning or not, they actually won 4-3, so the Brain's sources were slightly incorrect. Anyways, Heenan adds a little more heat to the upcoming Rick Rude/Roddy Piper match. That match is still to come.

Randy Savage w/Sherri vs Jimmy Snuka
    These two would have a Saturday Night Main Event match in a week's time that wasn't too terribly bad. If I recall correctly, Snuka was wearing his alternate zebra trunks that instantly makes him more entertaining. Sadly, he's back to wearing his normal tights here. Despite starting off looking good, Snuka loses control thanks to Sherri interfering as often as possible. Behind the ref's back, she nails Snuka with her boot. Savage controls the match for awhile, all with Sherri's help, until he accidentally rams Snuka into the referee. Snuka makes his comeback and has Savage pinned. With the ref still down, there's a great little back and forth battle, highlighted by Snuka chopping Savage while Savage is tied up in the ropes. After having Savage pinned again, Snuka is nailed in the back of the head by Sherri's purse. Pulling Savage on top of Snuka and reviving the ref, Sherri ensures that Savage picks up the win. After the match, Savage's plan of hitting the top rope elbow smash is thwarted by Jim Duggan making the save. Snuka sucked at this point in his career, but Savage was such a magician that he could pull him to a good match. This bout worked thanks to keeping a fast pace, having Sherri interfere a lot and not letting it get bogged down with rest holds. Savage's abilities never cease to amaze me. Good little brawl. 3 Stars.

Akeem vs Jim Duggan
    Akeem comes out to "Jive Soul Bro", but sadly the Slickster is in Iowa where The Big Boss Man was working a match against Dusty Rhodes. Akeem tries to Pearl Harbor Duggan, but he fails miserably. Duggan pounds away on the big man. In an exact rip-off of the first match, they run the spot where the babyface rams the head of the heel in the turnbuckle over and over. Even when the face lets go of the head, the heel still rams his head in the turnbuckle. Fun spot, but do we need to see it twice. Just like in the opening match, the heel takes over with a long bear hug. Suddenly, there's a video glitch and for ten seconds, we're shown action from Zhukov/Roma! NOOOOOOO~! Luckily, the video fixes itself and we return to see Duggan making his comeback. Akeem misses a charge in the corner and falls, tripping over Duggan. Duggan wins with a simple school boy. They managed to run a very similar match as the first bout of the night, but this was a lot more enjoyable. The big reason is that the match only lasted six or so minutes compared to the fifteen minutes that the opener had. Duggan seemed like he was having fun and tried to keep a fast pace when he was in charge. Not horrible. 1 3/4 Stars.

The Genius vs Hillbilly Jim
    The Genius attempts to read a poem, but the ring announcer turned off the mic. Sadly, we don't get a "You f'd up!" chant. Hillbilly Jim starts off the match with such high impact moves as kissing the Genius on the cheek. That irritates the Genius, but allows Jim to remain in control after he slingshots The Genius back in the ring. The Genius takes over with a cheap punch while the referee was trying to separate the two in the corner. A whole lot of nothing happens until Hillbilly Jim chases The Genius around the ring. The Genius makes it back in time before the sudden ten count by the ref. The Genius wins by count-out. Huh? I was mildly enjoying the match, but that finish doesn't work at all. It felt like the match was still in the early stages when the count-out occurred. Bad finish aside, I'm incapable of not finding fun in a Genius match. 1 3/4 Stars.

Barry Horowitz vs Richard Charland
    Charland is a Canadian wrestler that has become a hidden gem for me on these old Toronto house shows. It was just back in May at the Copps Coliseum that he carried The Red Rooster to his best WWE match. The first half is painfully dull. All Horowitz does is waste time and yell at the fans. Charland wasn't much better sitting on rest holds. Things turn around in a big way once Horowitz begins his time on offense. While jawjacking with the fans, he works over Charland's arm while keeping a faster pace. Charland fights back to use his strength to ensure he isn't beat by the heel. An airplane spin later, Charland shockingly picks up the win. Humorously, Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes rips Charland apart after he won the match due to his laziness. Charland has definitely looked better in the other matches of his I've seen. When he's not killing time, Horowitz was an amazing heel and really comes off as someone who would have excelled in the indies this past decade. Great smarmy attitude that is perfect for the indies. The first half sucked, but the second half turned this match into a pretty decent affair. 2 1/4 Stars.

Rick Rude w/Bobby Heenan vs Roddy Piper
    Before Piper can even make his entrance, Bobby Heenan drops a pair of brass knuckles right in front of the ref. The referee orders Heenan to the back to ensure a fair contest. Match starts off with some comedy. Piper makes the mistake of taking Rude too lightly and pays for it with Rude roughly taking over with a serious of forearms to a ground Piper. Rude works over the back of Piper with a seated chin lock and then jumping up and landing on Rude's lumbar region. Rude attempts this one too many times as Piper moves out of the way, causing Rude to land on his ass hard. Piper brings the heat, even ripping off the top turnbuckle and ramming Rude into the steel. No DQ though. While attempting to roll Rude up, Piper shoves Rude into the corner, knocking the referee out cold. After Rude and Piper recover from a double noggin knocker, Piper has the match won, but the ref is still out. Kicking the ref some, Piper manages to revive him. Rude receives a high knee, sending him over the top rope and to the floor. Grabbing the ref's arm, Piper counts to ten, seemingly counting Rude out of the match. The bell rings and and Roddy Piper is...disqualified?! WTF? Even the commentators aren't exactly sure why Piper is DQ'd. Is it because he was the one who rammed Rude into the ref? Maybe those kicks to revive the ref? Perhaps the ref didn't like Piper forcing him to count Rude out. In any case, it's a mind blowing finish. The actual match was fine though. It's a major step below their MSG battles, but these two always delivers the goods. I'm a little disappointed, but I had my hopes up pretty high. 3 1/4 stars.

Overall
    I came into this just expecting a great Rude/Piper match and I was able to get yet another Valentine/Garvin and a surprisingly good Jimmy Snuka match to boot. Half of the matches are pretty horrid, but you have to expect that from a show with The Bushwackers, Boris Zhukov and Hillbilly Jim. The matches that I was expecting to deliver, did, even if not to the degree I was hoping for. A good deal of the matches found success by keeping a fast pace and the worst matches suffered from sluggish wrestlers who were overly reliant of restholds. The show could have really benefited from the addition of another top notch wrestler such as Mr. Perfect, The Rockers, The Hart Foundation or The Brainbusters. That's what happens when the WWE runs three different shows in one day.

WWE MSG March 19, 1990 Review

Madison Square Garden
    March 19, 1990

Jim Powers vs Iron Mike Sharpe
    A match that could main event any arena in the country. Sharpe stalls early on before he takes over. During his long heat sequence, Sharpe is constantly yelling out random noises. The only way I can describe it is that it's very Mankind (Circa 1996) like. It's pretty entertaining though. Powers fires back and the action picks up near the end with Powers winning with a power slam. For a thirteen minute Jim Powers match, this wasn't too bad. Sharpe remains my favorite enhancement talent ever as he's always doing something entertaining. The main source of my slight enjoyment is from the commentating team of Gorilla Monsoon, Lord Alfred Hayes and Hillbilly Jim. They were talking about everything except for the match. Such topics included praising of Larry Sharpe, Hayes believing Jim Powers needs a haircut, Gorilla Monsoon loves watching PPV's alone and in his underwear and Hillbilly Jim proclamation of his love of arena hot dogs. Sharpe rules and Powers still sucks. 2 Stars.

Hercules vs Black Bart
    Sharpe and Black Bart looks like they could have been an epic jobber tag team. It's all Black Bart here with the commentators talking about the upcoming Wrestlemania 6 instead of the match. Bart locks in a reverse chin lock and keeps it on forever. Even Randy Orton is appalled that someone could have the move in for so long. Finally, Hercules makes his comeback and wins with a torture rack (Really just held Bart up without punishing him, so I guess Bart gave up because he was slightly uncomfortable). This pretty much sucked. Black Bart being on offense for the majority of the match just meant the action grinding to a halt. The more I see Hercules, the clearer if becomes that he only put in effort against anyone with talent. Herc looks like a fool having such a difficult time against a JTTS. 3/4 Star.

Demolition vs The Orient Express w/Mr. Fuji
    The Orient Express had just debuted on TV just over two weeks ago. Sadly, Demolition's music has been edited to some generic crap. Demo dominates the early going with some simple brawling. Ax in particular is great as every time an Orient Express member comes near the Demotion corner, Ax kicks or punches him. Orient Express takes over and Smash plays the face-in-peril. Plenty of cliche (Yet still good) heel spots with Mr. Fuji interfering and using his cane on Smash. Smash finally gets a hot tag to Ax after hitting a closeline on Pat Tanaka with Tanaka taking his 360 bump. Ax looks to have the match won as Smash sets up the Demolition Decapitation. Mr. Fuji interferes and hits Ax with his cane. Ax goes to chase Fuji, but Sato throws salt in Ax's eyes. Ax is counted out and Orient Express picks up a huge win. Count-outs are never fun, but I didn't have a problem with this. With this being Orient Express's first competitive tag match in the WWE, getting a win over Demolition is huge. At the same time, losing by count-out doesn't hurt Demolition as they head into challenging for the tag titles at Wrestlemania. It's your basic tag formula match with the faces looking strong at first, the heels cheat in the middle, but the faces regain control at the end. It works. 2 3/4 Stars.

Koko B. Ware vs Frenchy Martin
    I had no idea that Martin was even still in the WWE at this point. Frenchy had stopped managing Dino Bravo way back before Summerslam 1989. A nothing match with Frenchy controlling the majority of the match. He locks in a never ending nerve hold. A lot of boring chants during the entire match. Koko finally comes back and finishes Frenchy off with the Ghostbuster (Brainbuster). So incredibly dull. On the plus side, it wasn't AS boring as Herc vs Black Bart. Koko was already a JTTS so being beat up by Frenchy for such a long time wasn't going to hurt him. Lastly, the finishing move was a hell of a lot more exciting. It sucked nonetheless. 1 1/4 Stars.

To show that you can't escape the horror that is Michael Cole, Lord Alfred Hayes commented on one Koko B. Ware move as...and I quote, "That's VINTAGE Koko B. Ware!"

Jim Duggan vs Earthquake w/Jimmy Hart
    A match that makes sense in terms of building up Wrestlemania. Duggan is booked at the PPV against fellow Jimmy Hart camp member, Dino Bravo. In case you're wondering, Bravo vs Duggan produced the worst match at Wrestlemania 6. A simple match with Duggan spending the first few minutes trying to knock Quack down. Earthquake dominates Duggan for a few minutes, but Duggan keeps getting up. Jimmy Hart (sorta) interferes, which allows Quake to squash Duggan in the corner. Quake wins with an elbow drop after hitting the ropes. After the match, Earthquake continues the beat down until Jim Powers and Koko B Ware tries to make the save. Earthquake easily throws both JTTS out of the ring. Duggan makes his own save by running Quack out of the ring with his trusty 2x4. This match worked because they had a basic story, but they kept the match under seven minutes. Unlike the other singles matches, it didn't drag on past ten minutes. With Quack about to start a program with Hulk Hogan, it made sense that Quack was put over strong. 2 Stars.

Bret Hart vs Rick Martel
    Despite just hanging out in the ring for a few minutes, Bret Hart waits until the bell rings before he goes to the outside to give away his pair of sunglasses. I would be so pissed off if I was Martel. Martel shows that he can waste time by showboating and stalling in the early minutes of the match. Martel ends up paying for it as The Hitman hits a nice closeline as Martel does a back handspring. While Bret spends most of the first half working over Martel's left arm, Martel works over Bret's back. Shockingly, Martel ends up as the star of the match as he remembers to sell the arm when he's showboating and his back work makes sense as it sets up the Boston Crab. Near the end, Bret makes a comeback and sends Martel rolling to the outside every chance he gets. Some good drama is created as the viewer is left wondering if Bret can get Martel back in the ring before they're counted. In the end, the time limit expires at twenty minutes. A pretty good match with both guys having logical strategies. Once Bret realized he was in trouble, he gave up working over the arm for a faster way to win. As much as his workrate dropped during his Model days, Martel looked really good here. The time limit draw was lame, but sorta expected. The best part was that it was a very different match from their Copps Coliseum bout from the previous May. 3 1/4 Stars.

Brutus Beefcake vs Dino Bravo w/Jimmy Hart
    If you don't mind going back to 1987, this one has a nice little backstory. At the start of 1987, Bravo became the running buddy of the Dream Team (Brutus and Greg Valentine). At Wrestlemania 3, Valentine, Bravo and manager, Johnny V, all left Brutus in the ring due to some disagreements. After that, Bravo replaced Brutus as Valentine's new partner in the NEW Dream Team. Bravo loves showing off his strength, so we get long sequences of a test of strength and later an incredibly erotic bear hug. Bear hugs already look pretty creepily sexual, but Bravo did a lot of pelvic thrusts to hurt Beefcake more. Brutus makes his comeback and slaps on the sleeper. With Jimmy Hart distracting the referee, Earthquake runs out and pulls Brutus out of the ring. Quack rams Beefcake against the ring post and drops him down. Bravo wins by count-out. After the match, Quack drops a couple of elbows on Brutus. Bravo sucks. I can count his good matches on one hand and that's even after a fireworks injury. The Earthquake booking is awesome though. The WWE has made him look like a total monster tonight. 1 1/2 Stars.

Tugboat vs Pez Whatley
    Pistol Pez had just debuted at the start of the year. He's just a jobber though and he'll be gone around Wrestlemania 7 time. If you take out the Tugboat noises, Tugboat's theme song totally sounds like a Foster the People song. Whatley is the main. He's constantly struting and screaming as Tugboat manhandles him. Pez manages to knock Tugboat off of his feet with a middle rope headbutt, but Tugboat kicks out of a cover at one. Tugboat eventually finishes Pistol Pez off with a 747 splash. Pistol Pez as a jobber was hands down more enjoyable than anyone else on this show. How was he not used more in the WWE? I have to put up with seeing Dino Bravo on nearly every PPV, but Pistol Pez is kept off? Bull****. A little too long for a squash, but it was fine for all of the Pistol Pez antics. SQUASH.

It's worth noting that the fans are not into the Tugboat act.

The Fink is out to announce the main event for the next MSG show (April 30th):
    Earthquake (Undefeated) vs Hulk Hogan (Current WWE World Champion)

Earthquake comes out and promises to beat Hogan. Quake's all over the show.

The Ultimate Warrior vs Mr. Perfect
    It's all Warrior until Perfect gets the knees up during a splash attempt. Perfect works over the back. Sitting in a modified Camel Clutch, Perfect further punishes the back of Warrior. Finally, Warrior Warriors Up and makes his trademark comeback. A gorilla press and splash later, Warrior ends the perfect record of Mr. Perfect. This was Warrior vs Rude formula with Perfect inserted in Rude's role. I can't say I have a problem with that since both Hennig and Rude bumped around like a pinball for Warrior and the matches always made sense. The clean finish was surprising as Perfect didn't need to lose here. Technically, Perfect had lost several matches already, but this would be his first televised loss as Mr. Perfect. Looking back, they should have just had Mr. Perfect screw Warrior out of the title (With plenty of outside help) as Warrior and Perfect were switching roles anyhow. A perfectly fine way to close out the show. 2 1/2 Stars.

Overall
    The WWE was in full Wrestlemania mode and they made sure to remind the fans of this PPV every chance they got. While 1990 was hardly a great year for the WWE, this show was a bit below par for MSG shows that year. The main objective on the show was to put Earthquake over and establish him as a legitimate threat to Hulk Hogan. As much as you could in 1990, I'd say they accomplished that goal. The usual suspects (Perfect, Pat Tanaka and Bret) managed to have the best matches of the night. Shockingly, the biggest jobber on the show, Pez Whatley, left the biggest impression. He made a simple squash the best reason to check out the show. Come for Pistol Pez, stay for Bret and Perfect, but skip everything else.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Re: WWE MSG March 19, 1990 Review

Weak card

Bret vs Martel would be interesting...

I have always felt that Mr. Perfect should have been given at least one World title run in the WWF

Re: WWE MSG March 19, 1990 Review

Eh, Perfect didn't need the belt. He made a pretty good name for himself with the IC title for over a year. What are the chances that the WWE would have allowed Perfect to be in the main event for that amount of time? With Hennig's time with the IC title, the "Undefeated" streak and kicking Ric Flair out of the WWE, Perfect didn't need the belt.

Re: Going to the matches - Reviewing WWF House Shows

Capital Centre
    August 17, 1985

Johnny V vs Steve Lombardi
    Let's see, you have a semi-retired manager against a JTTS. Can you smell the ratings? Shockingly, this was a rather fun short match due to the wackiness. Johnny V wrestled a style that made being a heel look like child's play. In plain sight of the referee, he's slamming Lombardi into a table, choking him with power cords and slamming him on concrete. Yet, the referee doesn't care! It's the damnedest thing to watch a match that is comparable to a tame street fight, yet held under normal rules. Somehow, the style makes this heel vs heel match a great underdog battle for the babyface of the night, Lombardi. As the viewer, I'm desperately hoping Lombardi can pull off the huge upset (As huge of an upset as it is beating a manager). Despite showing some fire at the end, Lombardi falls to the dreaded finishing combo of a closeline and elbow. The weird nature of the match made it work. 2 Stars.

Moondog Spot vs Cousin Jr w/Hillbilly Jim
    After watching this twelve minute match that is stretched over a period of close to twenty minutes, I'm convinced Vince McMahon has played a cruel joke on me. He knew one day in 2012, a fan would be watching this. He wanted to produce a match so bad that the fan would consider suicide as a quick exit from this. There was sooooo much stalling in this. Moondog Spot went to the outside so many times before there was a single physical encounter. Some fans are chanting boring throughout the match as well. The entire match revolves around Spot slowly...slowly working over Cousin Jr while the Hillbilly's sole offense is a mule kick. The topping of the shit sandwich (And I have to hand this to McMahon because I could not have imagined something so dreadful) is that the camera switches to a random fan as the finish occurs. One minute we see Hillbilly Jim distracting Spot and the next Cousin Jr has the pin. Now that...THAT takes some effort in crappiness. Worst match of 1985 or the perfect way to kill a victim in boring if there's ever another Saw? 1/4 Star.

Adrian Adonis vs Tony Garea
    Adonis is still rocking the leather look that is somehow more gay looking than wearing a dress. Go figure. Do you know how I know Adonis was a good worker? Whether he was skinny or fat, the guy knew how to do his job well. The commentators spent most of the match talking about how much weight Adonis had gained. So I imagine this is shortly before he burned his leather jacket and become adorable. The early scientific portion of the match was enjoyable, but the final minutes was mostly just Garea selling on the outside. Boring, but not terrible. Adonis wins after a DDT. Try as I might, I can't hate much on an Adonis match. No one bought a Garea win at this stage of his career though. 1 3/4 Stars.

Terry Funk vs Salvatore Bellomo
    Bellomo was sorta the Hulk Hogan of jobbers at this point. Man, Terry Funk could work a match by himself and it'd still be entertaining. He already bumps off of his own stuff. Despite Bellomo being a JTTS, they worked this match as if he was a real threat to Funk. The results was an enjoyable back and forth battle with Bellomo looking like someone who mattered. Still, Funk wins with the sleeper and proceeds to use the branding iron on poor Bellomo. You can't go wrong with a little Terry Funk in your day. 2 1/4 Stars.

Don Muraco and Mr. Fuji vs The Junkyard Dog and Ricky Steamboat
    If you're reading this sometime in the future, I literally just saw this match earlier in the day while reviewing SNME 4. My thoughts were that Fuji brought the match down despite digging the issues between Muraco and Steamboat. This ended up being a lot better than the SNME match due to obvious decisions. Steamboat played the face-in-peril this time around and it was more storyline driven. Steamboat purposely avoided getting the tag to JYD on a few occasions because of his hatred for Muraco and Fuji. The ending relies on the weaker heel (Fuji) being pinned by Steamboat following a little miscommunication between the heels. It wasn't perfect, but you at least laid the match out as it should have been at SNME. 2 1/4 Stars.

The Hart Foundation vs Lanny Poffo and Swede Hanson
    This was before the Harts began wearing pink and apparent before they could even afford straps for their tights. This match goes to show that as long as you tell a logic tag story, you can make fans believe that even a JTTS team could beat the new hot and undefeated tag team on the scene. Harts are double teaming, lying about hair pulls, cutting off the ring and just generally playing an amazing tag team. They can't get all of the credit though. Poffo worked all but roughly a minute of the match and a good deal of it was as the face-in-peril. Poffo was a damn good talent and vastly underrated. For Hanson, he played his part well as coming in with a house of fury after the hot tag. Bret, in particular, does some great bumps to put over Hanson. It's a failed effort though as Neidhart closelines Hanson behind the ref's back to allow Bret to get the victory. Weak finish (It was pretty much the only move Hanson took), but a rather good tag encounter that was mostly a squash. 2 1/2 Stars.

Randy Savage vs Rick McGraw
    This is pre-Miss Elizabeth Randy Savage. The real quality to this match begins once Savage misses a high risk knee drop. Savage ends up selling it for the rest of the match. McGraw spent the rest of the match working over the knee and it's just generally a great story. The most surprising thing, despite McGraw being a lowcarder, was that Savage made the huge babyface comeback and won dominantly. McGraw had jumped off of the top rope, but Savage merely punched him on the jaw on the way down. Flying elbow drop later and Savage won. With that ending, there isn't any denying that the WWE saw something in Savage. Good energetic match that once again made a virtual squash be competitive. 2 3/4 Stars.

Hulk Hogan (c) vs Brutus Beefcake w/Johnny V - WWE World Title
    At this point, Brutus reminds me a lot of Dolph Ziggler of 2012. He's all over the card with the WWE being unsure of where to put him on a permanent basis. So despite being a relatively new midcarder, he's getting a title shot. The nice thing about this is no one excepts Brutus to win. So as long as he puts in a good fight, he's being put over. Ironically, it's Hogan who's doing more heel tactics than Bruti. From choking, doing back rakes, pulling hair, pulling tights, ect, Hogan's the obvious heel if you were watching this with the volume turned down. None of this is anything amazing, but I found myself enjoying this far more than I imagined I would have. The ending is truly baffling though. Hogan, without a real Hulk Up moment, hits the big boot, but chooses to pick Brutus up for a body slam. The leg drop follows, but Hogan breaks up his own fall when Johnny V climbs on the apron. Hogan becomes distracted for a moment. Brutus, completely no selling the leg drop, jumps up and goes to hit a knee strike on Hogan. Hogan moves and Johnny V is hit. Hogan then rolls Brutus up for the three count. All of that just doesn't make sense to me. Still, way better than you'd think this would be. 2 3/4 Stars.

Overall
    Well, there's good and bad about watching such a minor house show. The good news is that you can sometimes find some great hidden gems. The Capital Centre just had one the previous month with Ricky Steamboat vs Bob Orton (On Steamboat's DVD). The bad news is that this show didn't have any hidden gems. I'm used to seeing house shows with plenty of JTTS, but this one barely had any Superstar vs Superstar matches. What does it say when the third biggest match involves Rick McGraw and the second biggest involves Mr. Fuji in his semi-retirement? It is disappointing when I look at the previous month's card and the following month's card and see that there's that Steamboat/Orton match from July and the September show had Bret Hart vs Dynamite Kid. I can't complain much though. Despite all of these virtual squashes, most of them were made competitive and were vastly more entertaining than they should have been. There's only one bad match (Moondog vs Cousin Jr), but that at least served the purpose of giving me my first Cousin Jr match to watch. And really, can you call yourself a wrestling fan without seeing a little Cousin Jr? Yeah, I thought not. As expected, the usual suspects (Steamboat and Savage) shine while everyone else is doing their thing.

Thread Information