Thread: Do Theme PPVs promote Lazy Writing?

On Vacation

Status

Do Theme PPVs promote Lazy Writing?

Just posing the question to wether theme based main events create lazy writing. For the writers in the WWE, if they know that at TLC there main event is a TLC regardless of the direction and quality of the story they write.

Or does it work in reverse? Does being forced to have a specific main event create better writing because they have to make it work and sell it?

Im currently on the fence. Following what was said to be a sucky Hell in a Cell PPV and build up, Im going to sway left.

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: Do Theme PPVs promote Lazy Writing?

I'd say a mix. On one hand, they creative have to be a little more.. for lack of a better word, creative, to make sure feuds fit the gimmicks. On the other hand it's easier to create intrigue with huge gimmick matches as opposed to quality stories.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Yes, it is lazy writing. It's makes their job a whole lot easier knowing that the PPV is themed, in their mind all they'll have to do is create 1 type of atmosphere for the PPVs rather than varying ones for each match.

Curtain Jerker

Status

It's becoming ever more stale and predictable. You used to be able to have any type of match at any PPV (allowing for a couple of staples like the eponymous match at Royal Rumble and the big tag matches at Survivor Series). Where is the drama and surprise value of being told that two guys will face each other inside Hell in a Cell, when you already know that the next PPV is called Hell in a Cell? I think it just restricts the writers and means that feuds will follow a certain pattern based on the calendar, instead of playing out in ways you might not expect. Bragging Rights in particular was awful - Cody Rhodes joining DX on the Raw team was just not believable and I would much rather see heels vs faces than this "brand vs brand" stuff. They need to think again on this whole theme thing - if I was a writer I would hate to have those kind of restrictions to work with as it stifles creativity.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I don't think it promotes lazy writers. I think they have to work that much harder. Its hard to make a PPV with all the same gimmick matches and keep it exciting.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Well going by example,like Hell in a Cell.
    Hell in a cell matches are supposed to be the final match in a feud usually.
    And Punk/Taker feud,it didn't really reach that point yet,so yeah I'd say they had the Hell in a Cell match for those two way too early.
    It was good for DX and Legacy,and Cena/Orton as well,although it should have been the final match in their feud also.
    As for the themes meaning lazy writing.....yes I do beleive it does encourage that.
    But at the same time,as a fan,I am enjoying these themes,even if they don't seem to always fit the feud.
    However the names for most of these ppvs are just awful.

Think Your Greezy?

Status
      Country                    gb=Great Britain

HIAC PPV takes all the greatness of the match itself. I mean this year, how many times had CM Punk and Taker met? Once? That's mot enough for a full on HIAC match.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

I think so for sure. In the same vain that continuing to have the guest host on Raw promotes lazy vain. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that Raw generally is in the same format every week and lacks continuity therefore making the lives of the writers a hell of a lot easier.

Thread Information