Thread: WWE Off-Season

Status

WWE Off-Season

This was mentioned in Jim's thread, and the major injury to Edge makes it rather timely, I think. With a continual year round schedule and the amount of travel, the WWE schedule seems pretty grueling. A lot of people seem to feel that the schedule is at least partly behind some of the injuries you see. It seems like only a few select vets - such as Undertaker and Michaels - get any signficiant time off other than being injured or doing a movie. Which brings up the idea of some type of off-season for the WWE.

Now, there are many different ways to do it. Some of them would be (and not taking credit for ideas here, as I'm pretty sure most of them have been suggested before)....

Full Off Season - like team sports, the WWE would simply shut down for a given period. No live shows, no pay per views, and no TV. This could be one two month period during the year, or perhaps two one month periods. It would almost make it like a Japanese touring schedule. What could make things interesting is that it could also serve as a "reset" period. Brand rosters can be changed (draft) and storylines could be intended to run for a "season", with everything start fresh at the beginning of a new season.

Brand Off Season - similar to the first option, but the rest periods would be offset by brand. So for random example, while Raw is off furing October-November, Smackdown's off-season would be May-June (with ECW likely matching). So the E isn never without current product being produced. The downside here is that with wrestlers moving between brands, its possible that some workers would miss out on the off season in a given year by switching.

Worker Breaks - this would simply be extending what is done with old veteran workers to the rest of the roster. Each worker would take a set amount of time off through the year - two months at a time, two one-month periods, whatever. It could potentially reduce the wear on their bodies, reducing injuries and lengthening careers. This could be very effective in that it would allow the WWE to plan and stagger the breaks, so that they are only missing a few top workers at any given time.

Taping Schedule - this is one that Jim mentioned. Basically, the E doesn't need to be running live TV shows at this point. Its not really a necessity, as they aren't competing against anyone anymore. Basically, it would using a rotation schedule of having events for two weeks, with shows for the month being taped there, then two weeks off, and a PPV at the start of the next two weeks on. It would giving up live house shows during that time. But it would certainly be workable.

I'm sure there are other options as well. But I guess I'm wondering two things. One, would some type of schedule adjustment like these options actually be benefitcial to the E in terms of keeping workers healthy and extending careers? And two, as a fan, would that be something you would be willing to sacrifice - would keeping the roster healthier as a whole be worth giving up two months of new shows, or two months of your favorite worker?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Tommy Got Hacked

Re: WWE Off-Season

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Status
      Country                    United States

It seems the nature of the business, and as long as Vince is in charge he wont be changing it. I think Vince almost feels like you have to be worked to the bone, and the wrestlers should be thrilled to be there making a check.

The money is there though to go all year, and tour, and be on tv. The people want wrestling year around, and will watch it. With 12 ppvs+ a year, they wont be taking any time off.

Billy Bitchcakes

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Worker breaks make perfect sense. It could counter the effects of being on the road 24/7, and it could get mid-carders in the Main event scene.

Status

A couple of things I forgot to mention in the initial post...

I really wonder whether the WWE has actually examined these kind of options and some study, simply rejected them. The E is a business, and down time means reduced income. If they did a study that said that, on average, they likely end up with fewer shows missed due to typical small and occassional big injuries to workers than shows missed due to some of these options, I'm thinking they would stick with that.

As well, I could potentially see there being resistance from the workers on the idea of taking breaks. Not from all of them. But I would expect than an off season or down time would mean they are losing money. I expect that some would not want to make that sarifice and would prefer to just to keep grinding at the year round schedule.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Sweet Meat

Status

Worker breaks and Smackdown being taped two for one seems to be best imo.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

I'd just have a version of Raw for half the year and a version of Smackdown for the other half. The brand that isn't on TV can work house shows. That'd lighten the load slightly. They'd never have to do PPV or TV for that six months.

It wouldn't work, but neither would an off season.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Beh!

Status
    Bury or bolton depending if i'm skiving at work or not.

could they not work in a 2 week break after Mania?

The whole year builds towards mania and as such it should be the climax of all storylines, nowadays it doesn't seem to be that way.

If all the storylines climaxed at Mania then the raw and smackdowns the following weeks could be best of the year/annual review type shows.

they get a break at crimbo too do they not?

Quote Originally Posted by frank spencer View Post

The whole year builds towards mania and as such it should be the climax of all storylines, nowadays it doesn't seem to be that way.

If all the storylines climaxed at Mania then the raw and smackdowns the following weeks could be best of the year/annual review type shows.

They used to have a break after Wrestlemania, including house shows. They'd tape the shows before 'Mania and just rely on those for two-four weeks. It seemed to be a nice mix of busy work, but with plenty of time off to rest up. They'd get a couple weeks off for Christmas, come back and work more than ever on the road to Wrestlemania and then take nearly a month off.

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Quote Originally Posted by frank spencer View Post

But then you'd lose momentum after Mania. The few weeks after Mania usually keep peoples intrest. A break several months after would be better.

I've also never understood why WrestleMania is seen as the climax to all the storylines when all the main ones have always continued after.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Mid-Card Champion

Status

The only thing I see as being a problem with this is, when a wrestler starts to get really hot, and then, boom, time for a break. It could seriously kill momentum.

I think they need to trim down the number of house shows. Nothing major storyline wise ever happens anymore, titles don't change anymore and it's usually a continuation of what happens on tv anyway. Granted the matches are usually better, but its house shows where the injuries pile up too.

Trim down the the number of house shows, you cut down the risk of injuries, and you preserve your wrestlers more. A side effect of that would be wrestlers really being able to perform to their full capacity at pay-per-views.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The only thing I see as being a problem with this is, when a wrestler starts to get really hot, and then, boom, time for a break. It could seriously kill momentum.

I think they need to trim down the number of house shows. Nothing major storyline wise ever happens anymore, titles don't change anymore and it's usually a continuation of what happens on tv anyway. Granted the matches are usually better, but its house shows where the injuries pile up too.

Trim down the the number of house shows, you cut down the risk of injuries, and you preserve your wrestlers more. A side effect of that would be wrestlers really being able to perform to their full capacity at pay-per-views.
    That's true. But the opposite could also work at times. Guys who have lost momentum and are kinda stale get some time off TV, which could make them feel a bit more fresh when they come back.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Sweet Meat

Status

Off Season also effects PPVs which WWE won't cut back on..

House shows they won't cut back on.

Rotating top guys on/off shows and giving breaks every now and then seems best.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

I have to say the only option that WWE would likely consider at all is the workers taking breaks at staggered intervals, as it's something they already do ocassionally with the likes of HBK, Taker, HHH, and recently as well, Edge. I doubt that those guys took a pay cut during their time off either, so as long as all wrestlers got the same treatment it could be looked upon as a work enforced recharge for the workers, and would that they got to rest up, freshen up their characters, and depending on how they were written out of storylines, come back bigger than ever.

It's the only option that wouldn't lose WWE money (and could in fact help them earn more, if done right) and that gives the performers a real chance to heal up. The only issues I see are that sometimes when guys are working a hectic schedules, their bodies become used to it, and taking short periods of time off means they come back less limber, which runs the risk that they could injure themselves on returning, completely killing the whole point of the break in the first place. That and if a guy is hot, and has scheduled time off to take and he's not written out correctly, people could lose interest very quickly, and doing this for every performer, it would become very difficult to keep coming up with fresh ideas why a guy isn't there.

Thread Information