Thread: Crusaders eye up Henson

Rising Above...

Status

Crusaders eye up Henson

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Sports
    Celtic Crusaders have paved the way for Wales international Gavin Henson to cross codes should he decide to quit rugby union.

The 27-year-old has reportedly told club officials at his club Ospreys that injuries and disillusionment have prompted his decision to take time away from the game.

Groin, knee, Achilles and shoulder problems took their toll last season and ultimately cost him the chance to represent the British and Irish Lions in South Africa this summer.

But, while the suggestion is the Bridgend-born star will hang up his boots from professional sport altogether, Crusaders chief executive Mike Turner has said his club would welcome the star.

"There are currently no talks to bring him to the Crusaders as a player but I know he is a big fan of the club and attends most matches," Turner said.

"However, if he does want to enter into talks into playing rugby league for us, we will listen with great interest."

The Crusaders are planning a major shake-up of their playing personnel after struggling in their first season in Super League and the arrival of the 2005 Lion would provide them with a major publicity boost.

However, whether they would be able to meet Henson's wage expectations is another matter as they struggle to reach the required break-even attendance figure of 4,500
    Henson wouldn't last 5mins in League. I don't think he'd adapt to the game, and it's pace.

Also I don't actually see him retiring from Union. He's just whipping up some publicity before he makes his heroic return.

I haven't actually watched any Crusaders games this season, but I suspect from their league position they need to get some established rugby league players - not over-hyped rugby union players.

I'm hoping to get down to their game against Leeds Rhinos next month, when they play in Newport (which is a bit closer for me.

IT'S COMING HOME

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Crusaders eye up Henson

This news isn't new in the slightest, maybe 2 weeks old.

I don't post league stuff because no one replies to it.

Rising Above...

Status

I would have replied to this lol.

I haven't heard this one, it hasn't been reported in the Welsh news until today. But if he's quitting Union because of injuries, I can't see him switching over to league.

I'm still not buying the retirement story because of injuries. He knows he's not going to be first choice for region or country, and he just doesn't have the determination to fight for his place. He's taking the easy way out.

Heel Champion

Status

To be fair he said he had enough of all rugby together and wanted to retire and just do sailing...

Thread Information