Thread: Sunderland Could Face Being Banned From Amsterdam Tournament

World Champion

Status

Clash of the Champions Sunderland Could Face Being Banned From Amsterdam Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by skysports.com
    Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen is determined to ban Sunderland from the Amsterdam Tournament because he fears fans will clash with Newcastle supporters.

The Black Cats have been invited to participate in the annual knockout along with Benfica, Atletico Madrid and hosts Ajax.

The tournament takes place between the July 24th-26th and fans have already snapped up the 4000 tickets that have been made available.

Local rivals Newcastle travel to nearby Utrecht on July 26th and the Football Association has warned their counterparts in Holland to expect trouble.

"It is out of the question that both clubs can play at the same time," Cohen told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

"Talks with the municipal authorities and the club Utrecht have not ended in a result and I don't want to take any risks.

"It's not for nothing that we have been warned by the English FA. I understand that such a measure has far-reaching consequences for Ajax's traditional tournament but the safety of the city is the first priority."

So we have to miss out on this fairly prestigious tournament because Newcastle are dumbasses and booked a pre season game the same time we are in Holland too?

Absolutely terrible and Newcastle should take responsibility for this and cancel the friendly.

Beh!

Status
    Bury or bolton depending if i'm skiving at work or not.

Re: Sunderland Could Face Being Banned From Amsterdam Tournament

it looks to me like the dutchies over reacting to a heads up from the FA

Rising Above...

Status

Seems a little silly if you ask me. I doubt they'll be able to find anyone who can fit into the tournament at such short notice, as everyone will have their pre-season schedules all sorted out now.

I hope common sense prevails and Sunderland are allowed to compete in the tournament. There's bound to be a bit of banter between supporters, but I doubt there will be violence.

Beh!

Status

The FA will have told KNVB, that there is a small chance of bother and just to keep an eye out. and KNVB have taken that to mean there WILL be violence.

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

How bout supporters stop taking soccer so seriously and like, not argue about teams like Sunderland and Newcastle. It's kinda pathetic that if team fans "hate" another clubs fans just because they support their "rivals" that one of the teams misses out on a fixture, then there is a problem.

AWESOM-O

Beh!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
    How bout supporters stop taking soccer so seriously and like, not argue about teams like Sunderland and Newcastle. It's kinda pathetic that if team fans "hate" another clubs fans just because they support their "rivals" that one of the teams misses out on a fixture, then there is a problem.
    Being in Oz you're missing the tribal element that come with supporting football. The rivalry between Mackems and Geordies goes beyond the football (as with most rivalrys).

I hate Man Utd and everything to do with them. plenty of my friends are united supporters though. It'll be the same for sunderland and newcastle fans.

Holiganism in England is way better now than in the 70's and 80's there are still problems don't get me wrong. but the most trouble there will be is a bar room scuffle when someone can't handle the banter due to the british curse of being unable to handle your beer.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
    Coming from the person who was getting more than a little exciteable over the Ashes

Sunderland very rarely get an opportunity to do something like this and if the worst comes to it and we are pulled from it because of the mags booking a match at the same time then there could very well be some nasty scenes in the north east.

IT'S COMING HOME

Status
      Country                    England

Well personally I don't see why Newcastle should just roll over, I don't see how it's their fault that it got overbooked tbh.

However the bigger picture is that there is going to be violence if Sunderland get pulled more than anything, people will already have accomodation booked and everything so people will be going either way. I don't think they have taken that into concideration.

God

Status

Sunderland are going to finish fourth anyway, whats the problem? :-p
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

World Champion

Status

No problem now

Quote Originally Posted by SAFC.com
    Statement From The FA

After concerns were raised regarding Sunderland and Newcastle playing pre-season friendly games in Holland simultaneously, the Football Association has released the following statement:

"Following conversations with the KNVB and the Mayor of Amsterdam's office, The FA has reluctantly withdrawn permission for Newcastle United to play a friendly with Utrecht on Sunday 26 July.

"Sunderland had applied for permission to participate in the Amsterdam Tournament, with matches on 24 and 26 July, while Newcastle applied to play Utrecht on 26 July. After liaising with the KNVB and the UK and Dutch Police, permission was given to both clubs with assurances made to The FA that there were no objections to both teams playing in Holland at the same time.

"Following concerns raised by the Mayor of Amsterdam, it became clear that only one of the two teams would be able to travel to Holland and The FA actively sought to resolve the situation.

"Priority was given to Sunderland for three reasons; their application to play was received first, tickets have already been sold to their supporters, and travel arrangements have already been made. Newcastle United have not yet sold any tickets to their supporters."

Sunderland are taking part in the prestigious Amsterdam Tournament alongside Ajax, Benfica and Atletico Madrid from July 24 until July 26.

Good to see that we will play in the tournament

Heel Champion

Status

It was ridiculous you saying that Newcastle had to cancel just because you support Sunderland, if the boot was on the other foot you would be fuming.

How I met my kids mother

Status

I think considering this is a tournament held every year, I don't think its fair to justify that Sunderland should cancel as oppose to just an average friendly Newcastle have set up.

If one of them has to cancel, I reckon it should be Newcastle.

Thread Information