Thread: Donovan attacks Beckham in soon to be released book

The Original Situation

Status

Donovan attacks Beckham in soon to be released book

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN SOCCERNET
    BECKHAM IS "BAD TEAM-MATE"

Donovan launches book blast at Beckham

David Beckham has come under attack from L.A. Galaxy team-mate ]Landon Donovan just as he prepares to return for action with the MLS team.

In a new book due out later this month, Donovan claims Beckham has demonstrated little commitment to the Galaxy cause and has been a negative influence on the team since the ousting of former coach Ruud Gullit.
    "All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us," Donovan says in 'The Beckham Experiment', authored by Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl.

"As time has gone on, that has not proven to be the case in many ways - on the field, off the field.

"Does the fact that he earns that much more money come into it? Yeah. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you are suspended or not. Show up and train hard, show up and play hard."

Donovan, who is the United States captain and wears the Galaxy armband in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," he said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Beckham's first season in MLS was a largely miserable experience. He struggled with injury as an unbalanced Galaxy team struggled all year and missed out on the play-offs, with Gullit quitting before the end of the campaign.

Gullit's departure, which came a little over a month after Beckham's Galaxy debut, is the moment Donovan believes the light went out for the club's marquee player.
    "When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing," Donovan said. "He cared. He wanted to do well. He wanted the team and the league to do well.

"Somewhere along the way - and in my mind it coincides with Ruud being let go - he just flipped a switch and said, 'Uh-huh, I'm not doing it anymore'."
    Donovan even claimed Beckham is a bad team-mate, because of his lack of commitment.

"He's not shown (he's a good team-mate)," he said. "I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care. But with (Beckham), I'd say no, he wasn't committed."
    Beckham pushed for a loan move to AC Milan in January, and then extended it to the point that he missed half of the 2009 MLS season. That served as evidence that he does not care for the league, according to Donovan, who gave up his chance to play in Europe early in his career in order to stay at home.(Nicks Edit-lol, that last line is complete bullshit, but whatever.)

"My sense is that David's clearly frustrated, that he's unhappy and, honestly, that he thinks it's a joke," he said. "I also kind of feel (he has taken the team) for granted. I don't see dedication or commitment to this team, and that's troubling."
    Beckham is due to make his return for the Galaxy against the New York Red Bulls on July 16, two days after Wahl's book is due to be published.

He will line up alongside Donovan in that game, but the striker does not want that to be the case for much longer.

"Let's say he does stay here for three more years," Donovan said. "I'm not going to spend the next three years of my life doing it this way. This is f****** miserable. I don't want to have soccer be this way."

If Beckham really acts like this, its pretty shitty. Absolutely arrogant.
    Last edited by The Phantom; 07-02-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Removing HyperLinks

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Re: Donovan attacks Beckham in soon to be released book

I'm sure that a Beckham who doesn't care still contributes. He's raised the profile of the club and he can deliver accurate crosses without too much movement.

Chris Birchall can run his socks off and he still won't be as productive as Beckham.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Rising Above...

Status

Sounds a bit like Donovan didn't have much to put in the book, so a little blast at Beckham (who's not staying in LA for much longer) is a good way of hyping the book.

Few things I'd like to pick out from that article:

Donovan, who is the United States captain and wears the Galaxy armband in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.
    Beckham has never been the shouting type of character, he's a captain who likes to lead by example. He's not in the type of character that screams and shouts at his fellow team mates like Roy Keane or Tony Adams used to do.

Beckham pushed for a loan move to AC Milan in January, and then extended it to the point that he missed half of the 2009 MLS season. That served as evidence that he does not care for the league, according to Donovan, who gave up his chance to play in Europe early in his career in order to stay at home
    This I think is one thing that Beckham handled wrongly in my eyes. He should have honoured his contract, and gone back to LA for the pre-season. I know he's desperate to carry on playing for England, but with so much money having been invested in him, he owed it to LA and their fans to go back at the agreed time.

Also LOL at Donovan. As you said Diddy, that's BS. He tried and failed in Europe in the German league, that's why he's still playing in the MLS. Maybe he'd succeed in another league, but obviously the German one doesn't suit his style of play.

The Original Situation

Status

25 games, 5 goals, 8 assists for Galaxy before the Milan loan. Sure, its productive, but not nearly what youd expect. I know im going to be alone in this, as im sure the non-americans are going to side with Beckham...but if you come in as the highest payed player in a league you claim you want to help build, then alienate yourself from teammates, dont show up and support them, and more or less just go through the motions its wrong.

*waits for MLS/Donovan/American insults*

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CM Diddy View Post
    25 games, 5 goals, 8 assists
    To me that sounds like a typical number for him. He's not the player he was 10 years ago.

The Original Situation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post

Beckham has never been the shouting type of character, he's a captain who likes to lead by example. He's not in the type of character that screams and shouts at his fellow team mates like Roy Keane or Tony Adams used to do.
    Fair enough, but he isnt exactly leading by example either. And hey, I get it. MLS is nowhere near on the same level as others...and the fan support isnt on the same level either (some teams draw quite well, but American media barley mentions MLS. Its like MLS is Americas pedo uncle they dont want us to remember exists.) But he said his goal was to come here and help grow the sport. But just signing a contract and living in LA doesnt do it.

Rising Above...

Status

25 games, 5 goals, 8 assists for Galaxy before the Milan loan. Sure, its productive, but not nearly what youd expect. I know im going to be alone in this, as im sure the non-americans are going to side with Beckham...but if you come in as the highest payed player in a league you claim you want to help build, then alienate yourself from teammates, dont show up and support them, and more or less just go through the motions its wrong.

*waits for MLS/Donovan/American insults*
    I agree. I'm one of Beckhams biggest fans, and as I said in my first post, but he should have gone back to LA for the start of the MLS season. I had no problem with him going to Milan during the break, but his first priority should have been the Galaxy.

Does his contract run out at the end of the current season?

The Original Situation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    To me that sounds like a typical number for him. He's not the player he was 10 years ago.
    For a legend of the game playing in MLS? Shouldve been a bit higher, imo. Also: Note his sudden rise in form entering Milan. He has the gas in the tank, he just doenst give a fuck if his shirt is blue. Throw some red and black, or a white top on him...and presto...Beckham all the sudden has determination.

The Original Situation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    I agree. I'm one of Beckhams biggest fans, and as I said in my first post, but he should have gone back to LA for the start of the MLS season. I had no problem with him going to Milan during the break, but his first priority should have been the Galaxy.

Does his contract run out at the end of the current season?
    I think he has an option to leave this year, which surely he'll use.

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

For a legend of the game playing in MLS? Shouldve been a bit higher, imo. Also: Note his sudden rise in form entering Milan. He has the gas in the tank, he just doenst give a fuck if his shirt is blue. Throw some red and black, or a white top on him...and presto...Beckham all the sudden has determination.
    Can't say I've wantched too much Italian or American football. But Milan is certainly a more fashionable team. It'd be more motivated if I was trying to secure a move as well.

The Original Situation

Status

Can't say I've wantched too much Italian or American football. But Milan is certainly a more fashionable team. It'd be more motivated if I was trying to secure a move as well.
    Well, then no offense but you'd be a douchebag too.

But hey, your right. Taking the money and not holding up your end is perfectly acceptable as long as its at the expense of the lowly MLS, right? No need for honor in those situations.

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Well, then no offense but you'd be a douchebag too.
    Milan is more fashionable. That's not just opinion, it's fact.

But hey, your right. Taking the money and not holding up your end is perfectly acceptable as long as its at the expense of the lowly MLS, right? No need for honor in those situations.
    They could sure afford to pay him a lot if it's only a lowly football league.

Most footballers go places just for the money. That league can expect an infulx of footballers who don't have the ability to compete in stronger leagues anymore. So long as they're offered silly money, they should accept it.

But there's no excuse for half arsing it. Unless management let you get away with it.

The Original Situation

Status

But there's no excuse for half arsing it. Unless management let you get away with it.
    There ya go! Thats all im saying...if your getting the money, at least try and fucking earn it.

The Original Situation

Status

http://wrestlingclique.com/european-...ed-book-2.html

Read this. My apologies. This is the actual article from SI.com, which is an excerpt from this upcoming book. The ESPN article was skewed and took alot of things out of context, and the ESPN writer clearly has no idea what hes talking about on the situation. This article is far and away a better read.

Status

Yeah, I read the SI excert this morning. The ESPN definitely seems misleading. Donovan moreso comes across as being critical of Beckham's style of leadership not being what the side needed, and that there was a lack of communication. Valid points, for the most part, but also fairly understandable from Beckham's side as well.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Basic B*tches

Status

Maybe Beckham was a little perturbed that he couldn't make it in America? He didn't make a dent in our sporting news and now he clearly wants out before he becomes a laughing stock.

We'll always support players like Donovan over Beckham for one reason. Most Americans do not care about club play or the MLS but what we do get into is our national team.. which one of these guys plays for the U.S.?

That's right.

Thread Information