Thread: F1 Teams to set up rival Championship

IT'S COMING HOME

Status
      Country                    England

F1 Teams to set up rival Championship

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    F1 Teams to set up rival Championship

Formula One has been thrown into chaos after the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) carried out its threat to set up a rival championship in 2010.

Eight of F1's major teams have been frustrated by deadlocked talks with world motorsport boss Max Mosley over his controversial budget cap proposals.

"The teams have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 F1 Championship," said the teams.

"We've no alternative than to commence preparation for a new championship."

Mosley was insistent on introducing a voluntary £40m budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1.

But Fota refused to agree to his conditions, prompting championship leader Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso to take their drastic action.

Only Williams and Force India have agreed to take part in the existing F1 championship next year.

Fota took its momentous decision following a four-hour meeting on Thursday night.
    YES YES YES!

This is what I meant Marshall.

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

Re: F1 Teams to set up rival Championship

Already Read this, and I highly doubt this will happen. If worse comes to worse, Max & Bernie will give into this "new" championship, but Bernie & Max can't make a proper living without Ferrari.

AWESOM-O

World Champion

Status

Good, its absolutely stupid to have rule changes every season due to Mosley and Bernie interfering every season and wanting what they want and not what the fans and teams want.

I'd watch the breakaway league as it will be what F1 should be without these two muppets involved.

Rising Above...

Status

It won't happen. It's just a bluff from FOTA, Mosley knows F1 can't cope without them, and vice versa. I fully expect everyone to be racing under the F1 banner next season.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    It won't happen. It's just a bluff from FOTA, Mosley knows F1 can't cope without them, and vice versa. I fully expect everyone to be racing under the F1 banner next season.
    I can see one of 2 things happeneing:

1: Mosley and Bernie resign/get forced out and all teams come back and race without a budget cap next season

2: Mosley and Bernie stay firm on it and we do get a breakaway league with no restrictions or budget caps.

Rising Above...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mikk View Post
    I can see one of 2 things happeneing:

1: Mosley and Bernie resign/get forced out and all teams come back and race without a budget cap next season

2: Mosley and Bernie stay firm on it and we do get a breakaway league with no restrictions or budget caps.
    With the egos involved, option 1 is not an option.

There's a big meeting at 3pm today at Silverstone, involving all the team principles. We'll know more on what's going to happen after that.

Superhero Sellout

Status

Well, to be fair, the FIA can't give fans EVERYTHING they want. If people don't like it, don't watch it tbh. I don't see attendances going down, or anything of the sort like that. The competition is as interesting as ever. Allthough they're a couple of tryrannic bastards, Max & Bernie KNOW how to run Formula 1, and they'll be damned to let it go.

AWESOM-O

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

He never said that they could give us everything, but what good comes from making changes that the fans don't want when it was already fine?

Superhero Sellout

Status

I know, I don't agree with the salary cap either, but this is being taken a bit too far, isn't it?

AWESOM-O

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

It's not though, if only maybe one or two teams disagreed with it then fine but no teams like it.

Cult of Personality
    Sawyer

Status
    Well, I guess I better put my pants on!!!
      Country                    ca=Canada

Formula 1 is horrible at the moment and if this was to really happen, it would definitely work. Everyone would watch the new Championship.

Superhero Sellout

Status

What's to stop the same thing happening in the new championship. It's not that bad, everyone pisses and moans about the same teams winning race after race, and when we finally have something different (Brawn & Red Bull dominant almost, Ferrari & McLaren mid/back of the pack) people still find something to moan about. It's never going to be perfect, no matter what happens. I personally think that this season has been better than the last few.

AWESOM-O

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

Wait wait wait, when did the same team winning come into it Kiz?

The teams and fans are unhappy about the budget being introduced, the budget is still intact right now and different teams are winning races, this season we have had Brawn, Toyota and Red Bull winning. So how does that reflect on the budget coming in, that actually shows that it isn't needed.

Heel Champion

Status

This won't happen I gurantee it. FOTA will cave in and Max and Bernie will stay in charge.

FFS Calm Doon

Status
      Country                    UK

I would watch it but meh i still can't help feel that they (the teams) are spitting the dummy because they are not getting things they way they want them.

Rising Above...

Status

As I suspected, they have all reached an agreement:

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    An agreement has been reached between Formula 1's governing body and the teams to prevent a breakaway series, says FIA president Max Mosley.

The two parties had been engulfed in a bitter row over planned budgetary and technical changes for the 2010 season.

But it appears a resolution has now been found and, as part of the deal, Mosley has agreed not to stand for re-election as president.

"There will be no split. We have agreed to a reduction of costs," added Mosley.

"There will be one F1 championship but the objective is to get back to the spending levels of the early 90s within two years."

F1 surpremo Bernie Ecclestone added that he is "very happy common sense has prevailed", following a meeting of 120 members of the FIA in Paris aimed at resolving the crisis.

World Champion

Status

And i was right except for Bernie stepping down

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Sports
    FOTA teams stage walkout

Fresh doubts have been cast upon the recent deal between FOTA teams and the FIA to stave off the threat of a breakaway series after the former walked out of a meeting to discuss and agree rule changes for the 2010 world championship.

All parties sat down at the Nurburgring - venue for this weekend's German Grand Prix - with the invitees including the three new teams recently granted entry to next year's grid as well as Williams and Force India - the only two current teams not to belong to the manufacturer-backed FOTA group.

The Formula One Teams' Association had threatened to form their own breakaway championship in protest at plans by FIA president Max Mosley to introduce a £40 million budget cap next year.

The threat of a breakaway appeared to have subsided late last month when FOTA agreed a deal with the FIA to reduce costs equivalent to those seen in the early 1990s within two years, as well as to offer technical assistance to new teams at a more affordable price.

Wednesday's meeting of the FIA Technical Working Group was supposed to give all teams the opportunity to discuss and agree on rule changes for next year as well as to sign a legally binding agreement to reduce costs.

However, progress was halted after the FOTA teams - Ferrari, McLaren Mercedes, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Brawn GP - suddenly walked out.

According to an FIA statement: "The eight FOTA teams were invited to attend the meeting to discuss their further proposals for 2010. Unfortunately no discussion was possible because FOTA walked out of the meeting."

Mosley, whose style of leadership has been as controversial as his plans for a budget cap, had agreed not to seek another term of office when the FIA reached its initial agreement with FOTA.

However, he subsequently said he would reconsider his decision after FOTA president Luca di Montezemolo refused to apologise for comments made that compared Mosley to a 'dictator'.
    Breakaway plans still on ftW.

World Champion

Status

Its all Mosley, if he stuck to what he said he'd do then this wouldn't be happening.

Mosley is a selfish arse who is just looking out for himself in all this.

Thread Information