Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 1,081 to 1,096 of 1096

Thread: Movie Reviews - See A Movie, Give A Review

Status

Re: Movie Reviews - See A Movie, Give A Review

Aloha

I have no idea how a film directed by Cameron Crowe, staring Bradley Cooper, Bill Murray, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, John Krasinski, Danny McBride and Alec Baldwin, slipped under my radar. The film was a visual treat, but that's due in large part to the setting being Hawaii, which is so beautiful default you just have to point a camera in any direction and you have The Descendants. The films pacing was all over the place, establishing all of the characters and their backstories/relationships within 10 minutes. The main storyline involving Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, and Rachel McAdams is pretty easy to follow, but the sub-plot involving Cooper, Bill Murray, Alex Baldwin and Danny McBride was a bit confusing, at least until the 3rd act where got the gist of things. Bradley Cooper essentially plays the same character from Silver Linings Playbook, and Emma Stone is filling in for Jennifer Lawrence in an attempt to recreate their chemistry. Cooper is the troubled young man, scorned by his ex-wife and trying to put a troubling past behind him. Emma Stone is the quirky, super spunky indie film pixie, a decade his junior. Now, replace the NFL with the US Air Force, and replace Philadelphia with Hawaii, and that's basically the whole movie. John Krasinksi is pretty good, with what he has to work with, which isn't too much considering his character communicates with silence and facial expressions, and there is a literally a scene where Krasinksi and Cooper communicate without saying a single word, but the their are subtitles conveying a conversation they have with their silent faces.

All in all a decent flick. Not a the best film from Crowe, and Bill Murray and Danny McBride are criminally underutilized. Rachel McAdams and Emma Stone are both fantastic, and are total babes as per usual.

6/10

Heel Champion

Status

Redirected (2014)

This is a comedy crime thriller which has a very promising start but thats lost after the first 20 minutes. Overall though its still a decent story with decent acting. I'd say its a mix between Snatch and Hangover so that can't be a bad thing.

The ending wasn't the payoff i was expecting but i guess it can pass in this sort of comedy.

If your into this specific genre then I'd say its a good /decent watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerker Curtain

Status
      Country                    Australia

I decided to watch two WWE Studio movies and to my surprise they weren't too bad, obviously not worthy of any awards but they were watchable and even though the plots were a bit basic, they kept my interest enough to watch them in their entirety.

Legendary (2010)- Starring John Cena (and Danny Glover in a minor role)

So the premise of this movie is that Mike (Cena) is estranged from his mother and younger brother. His younger brother Cal is the main protagonist in the movie and wants to start amateur wrestling given that his late Dad was a legendary wrestler and his brother (Cena) was also an All-American. Mac died in a car accident also involving Mike which is expanded a little upon throughout the movie, Cal wants Mike to teach him how to wrestle and eventually Mike agrees to it. The only major criticism I would have of the movie is that Cal has a love interest which really adds nothing to the movie other than her getting in the way. The major issue with Mike teaching Cal is the hardship put on their mother who hasn't seen Mike in years, the ending is a bit ehhh but I still didn't mind the movie. 6.5/10.

The Chaperone (2011)- Starring Triple H and Ariel Winter (Alex from Modern Family)

Ray (HHH) is released from prison after being locked away for 7 years after a bank robbery where he was the driver. He immediately goes to his ex-wife and daughters house to try and patch things up which don't go well, he then signs up to be a chaperone for his daughters field trip the following weekend. He decides to go for one last job as he is struggling to find a real job, Larue (Kevin Corrigan a.k.a. Eddie from Grounded for Life) is in charge of the job, him and 2 others go into rob the bank whilst Ray is in the car waiting however Ray decides to ditch them, throws the keys in a near bush and set off to the bus to chaperone the field trip. Due to one of the robbers on the run leaving the money behind near the bus, Ray has the money which Larue and his associate want. Ray is wanted by the police because his finger prints were on the keys found. From there, it picks up a bit but the last 20-30 minutes were pretty rushed. I didn't enjoy it as much as Legendary but for a movie universally panned, there are a lot more worse movies made than this one for sure. 5.5/10

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

The Chaperone was okay. I have only watched it once and have no desire to see it again, but it wasn't too bad.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Jerker Curtain

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Austerio View Post
    The Chaperone was okay. I have only watched it once and have no desire to see it again, but it wasn't too bad.

Yeah that's understandable, it has to be a very good movie for me to want to watch it again. Even if that's the case, it's usually at least a couple of years between multiple viewings. All I'm saying is I think the movies get a lot of unfair criticism because it's WWE funded, whilst they aren't classics, there are a lot worse movies out there. The Chaperone was a simple movie with no real complex issues but anyone should really know that given that Triple H is the lead actor. Rotten Tomatoes has a rating of 29% which is ridiculous with an averaging rating of 3.7/10, IMDB has 5.1/10 which is a bit better. I never tend to listen to what reviewers say though, I've seen some god awful rated movies and enjoyed them thoroughly and some highly rated ones which I thought were complete garbage.

People's Champion

Status

Movies are completely subjective. A movie could be completely garbage, but some may still find it entertaining as hell and want to watch it over and over again.

Legend In My Spare Time

Status

The Counselor - Mike Fassbender is a lawyer who appears to have it all including his smoking hot girlfriend Penelope Cruz, but his financial needs force him to get greedy and delve into the Mexican drug world for a possible 4000% return on investment. Of course this goes south due to a huge coincidence and being screwed over by his partner's girlfriend. Star studded with Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Brad Pitt, but somehow just can't keep you interested really. With this cast, I was expecting more and with Ridley Scott directing and it being written by Cormac McCarthy, but it was a mess. 2.5/5

Jerker Curtain

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRider View Post
    The Counselor - Mike Fassbender is a lawyer who appears to have it all including his smoking hot girlfriend Penelope Cruz, but his financial needs force him to get greedy and delve into the Mexican drug world for a possible 4000% return on investment. Of course this goes south due to a huge coincidence and being screwed over by his partner's girlfriend. Star studded with Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Brad Pitt, but somehow just can't keep you interested really. With this cast, I was expecting more and with Ridley Scott directing and it being written by Cormac McCarthy, but it was a mess. 2.5/5
    I thought this whole movie was garbage haha and I actually paid to see it at the movies which made me angrier.

Cider 'I' Up

Status
      Country                    England

The Purge Anarchy

Just this moment finished watching the second film in the Purge series and oh my it really didn’t disappoint, I was a bit cautious before watching this film, one probably being I watch the first one about over a year and a half ago so was worried I would have to re-watch the first one to get back into the swing of it, which wouldn’t have been a bad thing either.

My second thing I was a bit cautious about was is the second going to completely kill the series of films and I mean that in the sense that is it going to be anywhere near as good as the first purge film and I was completely blown away I didn’t just think it was matched to the first one I thought it was better, really enjoyed this one.

The main reason I thought it was better than the first Purge is because in my view it was far more action packed and to say it was far darker than the first would be under statement of the year in the way I seen this.

Loved the series of characters in this second film, this being if I cast back my memory the first film it was just based around a very well off family and the focus just being on them and their neighbours etc.
    Thought everyone of the main cast played their part down to a tee.

• The couple – Just about to split.
    • Mother and Daughter – poor background
    • Sergeant – Plotting revenge

The way all the characters linked together was great, you have five different characters who are all completely different to each other and I really enjoyed how they worked as a team.

The first real scene that grabbed my attention was just before the mother and daughter was in the process of getting kidnapped and you had the lone wolf driving about witnessing all the events unfold in front of his very eyes, it was gripping to see how he was in two minds about helping them and it was quite obvious he was going to but that made the scene much more badass in my view.

When the five was on the run it was brilliant, still getting stalked by that group with the van and the motocross dirt bikes who had stalked the couple from the early stages of the film you just knew they were going to have a massive role to play within the film, which leads me to the scene outside the mothers friend’s house after they are tracked by the government “soldiers”, after jumping the fence they are caught and well and truly done for, well that’s what I thought.. How are they going to escape here? Turns out a massive spanner is thrown in the works at this point in the film, tad thrilling how this purge turned into a human trafficking operation, Within the negotiation of the group you just knew something was going to go wrong and the deal went south, so I thought here we go just another trafficking group… surprised yet again and this is how dark the film is, it turns into a human fucking auction for a bunch of rich, psychopaths.

I mean how fucking cool for the viewer is that?!
    During the Scene of the group getting hunted, which is the best scene of the movie (my personal view)
    It had everything from people who were inexperienced with a firearm shooting the hell out of the rich psychopaths I mean if that doesn’t give the viewer the chilling message that they are fighting for their lives nothing else will, I mean sergeant was kick ass here practically tore all five of rich people who bought them apart one by one and I loved it.

Within this scene came the chilling moment of the man from the couple, getting shot from the backup that was requested after the buyers had all been killed, straight away as a viewer you just knew there is no way you’re coming back from that, was an emotional scene with the blokes partner in bits which you expect… after an immense firefight you get the organisation that the daughter had been reading up on before the purge began, burst through the door in an another action packed part of the scene, After seeing her partner get shot down right in front of her she just decides to stay and “purge” with the organisation who are rebelling against the rich, I mean that’s one way to avenge your partners death.

The ending to this film was brilliant to really cap off a good all round action film.
    The ending was made up of the mother and the daughter and Sergeant, with very little time to go on the 12 hour purge, he finally got round to what he set out to do from the beginning of the purge itself and which we find out in one of the final scenes, to avenge the death of his son after being struck and killed by a drunk driver..

For anyone who has seen this film, I got the impression that he didn’t go through with actually killing the person responsible. after roughing him up massively, when he walked out of the door… only to be greeted by the machine gun operator who he had shot at earlier in the film by getting critically shot himself, the longer the scene went on I was just waiting for one of the women to get out of the car and start shooting him, but fair play to the bloke who had killed his son, I mean he just got beat pretty bad which is very deserved, but for him to save Sergeant made it quality.. The manner of a cracking headshot made it that much sweeter.

And then we had it… the end of the purge for another film, thankfully all three of them got sergeant to the hospital in time, I apologise about my half lark review but really liked this and thought I’d share something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Cyber bullying just made me 12 bucks. Sweet.
    2017 Movie Log

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I just saw the Kickboxer Remake called Kickboxer-Vengeance tonight for the first time. And well it's not good but not total shit either. The story isn't exactly like the first which no one expected it to be but there are a few similarities like the Main Character Kurt Sloane and his brother Eric being in it. The villain is Tong Po and most of it takes place in Thailand and well that's about it.

First the good parts. 1-the actor they got to play Kurt actually did a good job I enjoyed him even though I've never heard of him.

Second the appearances of MMA fighters are pretty cool I recognized Gina Carano Cain Valesquez and of course George St Pierre who was pretty good in his limited role.

Three-Jean Claude Van Damme was fantastic in his role of the trainer I was skeptical of this role at first but IMO Van Damme nailed it.

I also like the way the film looks and the way it was shot very modern and good looking to me. Also the fight scenes are pretty great in the film.

Now the bad

1-Dave Batista as Tong Po now of course he sucks but I will say he didn't suck nearly as much as I thought he would with the way this film was shot and the violence in it it makes sense for someone like him to play it but he doesn't even come close to the original Tong Po Michael Quissi.

2-The story is more than a litte disjointed they added extra story elements to this tale that to me takes away from the film like having Police involvement throughout the movie there is a female police officer character who is trying to bring down Tong Po on the side which just makes no sense but eh.

3-The movie takes itself way too seriously. The reason the 1st movie is still beloved by Martial Arts Movie fans to this day is it had a certain charm and comedy factor to it and didn't take itself too seriously. This movie is 100 percent devoid of that. And again it takes away from the movie.

Overall it's a good effort and a decent retelling of the story but this one isn't even in the same League of the original or even the first Sequel.

Overall Grade for me is C+

Heel Champion

Status

Gods of Egypt (2016)

We can point fingers at the casting, but that's just one of the issues that halt a great concept here in Egyptian mythology. The story is great, the costumes and the special effects are mindblowing. However, this would've been a great film if it was Gods of Greece. The cast, while they do their best to tell the story, half the time I feel like they're in Greece rather than Egypt. This could've been on par with Gladiator, and yes when I say on par with Gladiator, it could've been that Egyptian movie that would've brought us back to the time of the pyramids and all. The script while terribly written, does its best to tell the story. This is just another whitewashing of history. I mean, the race issue is just a minor issue here, yes people blow it out of proportion but this was just a huge missed opportunity here and in the end it was an okay story, but it just felt like it would've been so much better and definitely a big missed opportunity in transporting us back to ancient Egypt, I mean that's half the reason we watch movies anyway right? to escape reality.

D

Ole!

Status

So seen a few films over the past couple of nights;

Green Room - 8.5/10

Punk band get offered a gig at a skinhead Nazi place with Patrick Stewart as the owner. They accidentally witness a murder and then its a fight for them to survive.

Very good and suspenseful with a good ending.

Hush - 8/10

A deaf/mute writer is stalked by a killer at her house after her friend is murdered outside her house and the killer begins to stalk her.

Again very suspenseful with a satisfying ending and also a nice bit of gore.

The Rezort - 9/10

Think Jurassic Park but with zombies and you get the idea of this.

The Hateful Eight - 9/10

Its Tarrantino so you pretty much know what to expect

Heel Champion

Status

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

Spoiler:

WOW, you're probably thinking this review will be a down and out knockout of telling how bad it really was? Well to be frankly honest this isn't as bad as the reviews say it is. Quite possibly the second best Pirates movie in the series which left me amazed by the scenery of the Gold Coast and Queensland, Australia. The casting wasn't too bad, although I did miss a few of the old characters like the Parrot and the tongueless sailor then again we got Murtogg and Mullroy back as well as Jack the Monkey and Marty. Barbossa was pimped up and the richest pirate in the Caribbean Sea this time of the round, and he met the daughter he never knew he had. With that said the storyline focusses on Will Turner's son, Henry, trying to break his father's curse by seeking the Trident of Poseidon an artifact that breaks every curse at sea. He enlists the help of an astronomer Carina, and together with the legendary buccaneer Sparrow, go out to find the treasure with a hoard of ghostly Spanish officers lead by Armando Salazar (Javier Bardem) also seeking the Trident to break their own ghostly curse and in order to kill Sparrow for what he has done to them. Now, there are a few plot holes that weren't mentioned. Such as how the Trident was created, why Poseidon left it there in the first place, whatever happened to Poseidon? I would've loved it to have seen someone play the role of the legendary Greek myth himself. I also wouldn't have minded if the British Navy survived until the end, the end was a little flat for me as they killed off Barbossa and all the characters went their Mary way, with the Turners reuniting. The first half of the movie was extraordinary, the second half fell flat. So overall, with the sexual jokes, the rum, the scenery and the return of the original characters I got my money's worth out of this. P.S. the post-credits scene

A

Status

Death Wish (2018)

(Beware of possible spoilers)

So I saw Death Wish in the theatre this past Wednesday. I don't normally go to the movies, but when I saw the trailer for this and saw Bruce Willis had the lead role I had to go and see it. Death Wish is sort of a remake of the original 1974 film with Charles Bronson. I haven't seen any of the original Death Wish movies, I did however see Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon that is based on them. They say this 2018 version is a remake, although I think it could be more classified as a new addition to the franchise. It has some similarities and nods to the original film (again I've never watched it, but I did read up on it), but I feel like this one has a different enough story to be called it's own.

As for the actual story, I thought it was a fun and realistic venture to follow as Bruce Willis goes all vigilante on some thugs in Chicago after his wife is murdered and his daughter is injured and the detectives (One of which is played by Hank from Breaking Bad) aren't doing much to help. Willis goes a couple random thugs in the streat, before finally closing in on the people who attacked his family.

The biggest gripe I heard from people was that this movie seemed like it was pushing a political pro gun agenda. Now I'm about as far left winged as you can get, but I really don't know how much of an agenda that this movie was pushing. Yeah, Bruce Willis goes to a gun shop and buys guns to protect his family. And yeah, even I left the theatre thinking maybe I should look into getting a gun myself. But does this movie push a pro gun agenda? I feel like if you're going to start looking at movies like that, you could consider every action movie ever made to push a pro gun agenda. They all have gun fights. Does Walter White cooking meth in Breaking Bad push a pro drug agenda? I just think it's pretty unfair to accuse an action movie of that sort of thing.

My only complaint about this movie was, I thought that they should have spent more time focusing on the random thugs that Bruce Willis goes after. He is supposed to be this vigilante Grim Reaper who hunts down thugs in the street. But if I recall, I think he only took out two random thugs before focusing on the people who attacked his family one by one. Then at the very end, the last guy comes in Willis' house with a group of random guys we haven't seen before. I honestly think it would've been better if instead of the random guys at the end, it was the original thugs from the house (Who Willis already hunted down). Then Willis takes them all out right then and there, and the dragged out time spent in the movie where Willis hunted those guys down could be spent focusing on Willis being a vigilante.

There's even a scene where Willis is standing in the office of the detective, and sees all these unsolved cases on the bulletin board. There's even a note that says they're going to need a bigger board. I thought Willis was going to use that as a call sheet to go and take care of these thugs on his own. At the very least they could have had a five minute montage scene of Willis wasting a bunch of random guys before getting to personal vendetta stuff.

None the less I really enjoyed this movie, it was worth going to the movie theatre to see. Every time Bruce Willis killed someone, I was cracking up laughing. Some of the scenes were genuinely hilarious to me. Nobody else in the theatre was laughing though, they probably thought I was some sort of sociopath. If you're looking for a good Bruce Willis vigilante movie where he hilarious wastes bad guy thugs then Death Wish is for you.

Rating: 7/10

The Good Son (1993)

The Good Son is a movie I saw as a kid, but didn't quite remember the entire thing as an adult. I saw it was on Netflix and leaving at the end of the month, so I wanted to take the opportunity to watch it again. Now that I'm going into a career in child psychology, and have taken classes on forensic psychology and the minds of serial killers, I watched this movie in a much different perspective than I did the first time around.

Young Elijah Wood goes to spend two weeks at his Aunt's house after the death of his mother. However he learns his cousin, played by Macaulay Culkin, is not what everyone else thinks he is. Culkin is the definition of a child sociopath.

I read that this film actually got hit pretty hard when it was released. People did not like the idea of a child psychopath being the main villain in a movie. I guess they like to pretend that all children are cute little angels that would never hurt a fly. However that's not always the case, and as someone who is going into a career in child forensic psychology, it was kind of surreal watching Culkin perform and being reminded of certain kids I've worked with already. Culkin I must say just does an incredible job in his performance as a little Ted Bundy. The writers also did a good job of setting the stage for such a character with the actions that he does in the movie. Things like hurting animals with no remorse or emotion, manipulating others, etc.

I wish there was sequel for this film that showed Culkin's character before the events of the movie. The house that Culkin leaves in seems like a very nice and loving family. Most serial killer psychopaths grow up in homes of abuse and neglect, most of them experience trauma at a very young age. Culkin's little brother does die before the start of the film after drowning in a bathtub, but it's made quite clear that Culkin was behind the drowning. The only thing I can gather is that Culkin was jealous of the love and attention his baby brother was getting from his parents. Then after killing his brother, the rest of his personality just seemed to spiral out of control.

One thing I loved was Elijah Wood's character and his protectiveness over Culkin's little sister (in the movie and in real life). Wood even goes as far as sleeping on the floor of her room when he's afraid that Culkin will hurt her.

The ending of the movie gets a little too cliche for me, but overall I thought that the film did such a great job of capturing the behavior of a blooming child with...well the professional way to say it is conduct disorder, but let's be real Culkin's character is a future sociopath serial killer.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10

Hail To The King

Status

Mother!

Director:

Darren Aronofsky

Starring:
    Jennifer Lawrence , Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer

OMB Review:

I was looking forwarded to seeing this movie for a very long time I built this up as the movie of 2017 I really wanted to see and while I didn't get to see it at the movies I can tell you right now, I am glad I didn't this is one of the worse movies I have ever seen. I am shocked to say this because the stars of this movie our respected actors and actresses with great movies in their resumes this will always be that glaring exception. The film it self is just a confusing wreck and while it tries to make you feel for the couple who have just built a new home in the woods there is no a lot of backstory throughout the film. The characters themselves have no names instead its man, woman, mother and him. All you know is that him played by Javier is a writer who hasn't written in a while and that he owns a rock from his childhood home that burned. The way it is shown and stuff it was really hard to get the story. The film itself is really difficult to understand I feel like this was suppose to be a messiah like thing going on but I am not really sure all I know is that a man shows up played by Ed Harris who was lost and just shows up at the house and then next thing you know Javier lets him stay things happen you find out that he is actually a fan of him. The man's wife shows up they stay she and mother don't get along mother. The movie is clustered up non sense with very hard to follow and weird shit going on.

Later in film Mother ends up becoming pregnant and this is the spark that him needs to make a book. He gets it written times passes and the day its published it becomes the number 1 book in the world in a hr. Then people show up and more people and more then there's thousands millions of people there and they are taking things from house to be closer to him. They begin worshipping him and the cops show up as it gets violent then the army then national guard and hell is breaking loose. This part of film I have no idea what's going on. I know that mother is in labor she looking for him they find each other get to upstairs where there is still all the people hear and she gives birth. Now here is a far warning because what happens next is disturbing. The house goes quiet after she gives birth and mother ask him what is going on they start giving gifts to them and they want to hold the baby for some reason they allow this and the crowd begin wanting to hold the baby while a fight breaks out and during this the baby next breaks and dies. The mother looks for her baby to find out that the crowd is now eating a baby. They show this. This is where I had enough of the movie. I turned it off right there. Enough was enough I could not deal with it anymore. This movie was to sick to confusing and I found myself wishing I never saw it in first place. This movie is bad and I do not recommend this.

Score:
    1 out of 5 stars

Last edited by OMB; 09-18-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

The Machine

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Lucy starring Scarlett Johansson was on tv last night I recorded it watched this morning, was a bit slow to start Of with then she gets took captive by some nut and she is made to to ingest some drug, which makes the body's senses go past the normal and she ends up feeling everything on the earth , thinks before and after , basically a walking embodiment off life past the normal range of living , it gets a 6/10 as it had a ok plot line.

Peace.
    Favorite WWF Wrestlers: Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Undertaker, HBK, Triple H , Rey Mysterio , Eddie Guerrero , Kane .

Favorite British Wrestlers: Davey Boy Smith Snr, Doug Williams, William Regal, Spud/ Drake Maverick, Will Ospreay, Drew McIntyre, Nick Aldis , Marty Scurll , Rampage Brown .

Favorite Active Wrestlers: Brian Cage, Charlotte Flair , Pentagon Jr , Ronda Rousey , Ricochet, Becky Lynch , Kenny Omega , Taya Valkyrie, Rey Fenix , Liv Morgan.

JOIN PWA TODAY !

Thread Information