Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts on the History of SummerSlam

Status

Random Thoughts on the History of SummerSlam

So I recently borrowed the SummerSlam boxed set from a friend, with the intent to watch through all of them in the next couple of months. Its going to be a quiet (as in inexpensive) summer and it seemed like fun. Last summer and fall, I borrowed the Wrestle Mania and Royal Rumble boxed sets from the same friend, basically in preparation for going to WM this year.

I decided to do a kind of "running commentary of random thoughts" as I watch through these. Not the match-by-match breakdown and review that Jim does - what I would produce would be a farce compared to his reviews, so I'm not even going to try that approach.

I started watching the WWE in the mid 1980s, so everything from about 1985-1990 was a "golden period' in my memory. I watched through much of the 1990s, with some occassional gaps. I watched through parts of this decade, with some bigger gaps. I've seen many of these SummerSlams before, but definitley not all of them.

This will probably be a lot of comparing what the WWF/WWE used to do to what they do now. I'll try to avoid the overt nostalgia... Hopefully this will turn out be amusing to read...

Tommy Got Hacked

Re: Random Thoughts on the History of SummerSlam

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Status

Summer Slam 88
    Disc 1

Big Matches:
    The Ultimate Warrior d. Honky Tonk Man - wins Intercontinental Championship
    Jake Roberts d. Hercules
    The Mega Power d. The Mega Bucks - distraction via underwear

Random Thoughts
    -the very first match on the show - The British Bulldogs v. The Fabulous Rougeau's - made me sad. Two pretty good tag teams putting on a pretty good match. Something we just see so rarely in the WWE anymore. I don't buy the "tag teams don't sell" argument... fans don't care if the tag teams are presented in a manner in which they not made to care. Regardless, watching the Bulldogs was always fun.

-Bad News Allen was a guy I saw a few times in his Stampede Wrestling days, when he was Bad News Brown. Legimitately scary guy, as he just seemed like he could tear you to pieces.

-Rick Rude beats the Junkyard Dog. Two guys who probably could have been a bit more in their careers. Rude did headline WCW, but makes you wonder if he could have done the same in the WWE? Junkyard Dog just had so much charisma in the ring. If it was drugs that held him back, as I've heard, then its really too bad.

-one of things that kinda trips me out about watching this is the music. I had a WWF The Music - Piledriver tape when I was a kid and I listened to it endlessly. Still have it somewhere, I think. A lot of those songs are used by the wrestlers on this show. One of those things I just keep noticing.

-the Ultimate Warrior squashes Honky Tonk Man to take the Intercontinental championship in about 20 seconds. Man, the crowd loved Warrior. Man, he really couldn't wrestle. Man, what a way to end an epic title reign. Works because the match was a surprise, with Brutus Beefcake the original opponent but he got "taken out", so Warrior was a surprise replacement. Ah, back when the Intercontinental belt actually meant something.

-perhaps nothing about the show makes me quite as nostalgic as Gorilla Monsoon on commentary.

-Demolition against the Hart Foundation. Another decent tag match and two of my favorite teag teams. Not that Demolition were really anything special - a blatant rip off of the Road Warriors (my actual favorite team), but they still showed how a strong tag division can help a promotion. Would Eadie and Darsow have done much in the WWE as singles competitiors? Unlikely, but as a tag team with a decent (if stolen) gimmick, they did a lot. Then there is the the Hart Foundation... I believe that Bret Hart, like Shawn Michaels, could have gotten over if they started out as single's competitors, but the time they spent in their respective tag teams helped a lot. One of the many reasons that I wish the WWE still cared about tag teams.

-was Roberts vs Hercules a significant enough feud to deserve the secondary main event? Does it count as that? It is positioned as such, and is the third longest match on the card. I don't think I really appreciated Roberts at the time (hey, I was young) beyond his gimmick, but he seems a solid worker.

-and then the main event. Hogan and Savage against DiBiase and Andre. Guys like Savage and DiBiase may be legends, but it still can be eye-opening to go back and watch their work. The whole Mega-Powers thing was actually a pretty good angle, and showed a fair amount of patience as they built it up. I remember this match being a big moment when I was young, simply for getting to see Miss Elizabeth take her skirt off to show off her red panties. She's still lovely, even by today's standards (big hair aside). Interesting way to have the faces win, when you get right down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
    -Demolition against the Hart Foundation. Another decent tag match and two of my favorite teag teams. Not that Demolition were really anything special - a blatant rip off of the Road Warriors (my actual favorite team), but they still showed how a strong tag division can help a promotion. Would Eadie and Darsow have done much in the WWE as singles competitiors? Unlikely, but as a tag team with a decent (if stolen) gimmick, they did a lot. Then there is the the Hart Foundation...
    Darsow and Eadie did have single careers in the WWE. Once Demolition wrapped up in early 1991, Darsow started the Repo Man character. Meanwhile, before putting on the face paint and before being a Machine, Eadie was The Masked Superstar. Both guys were much better suited in the tag team ranks though. As for the whole "Demolition were LOD rip offs", while they may of originally started out as such, they evolved into something much more than that. Up until the WWE started pushing the Roadies as legends in the late 90's, I'd even say Demolition were more over and well known to WWE audiences.

I believe that Bret Hart, like Shawn Michaels, could have gotten over if they started out as single's competitors, but the time they spent in their respective tag teams helped a lot. One of the many reasons that I wish the WWE still cared about tag teams.
    Bret did start off as a singles wrestler. However, lack of direction and not getting over led to Bret eventually being put with Neidhart. Being in the Hart Foundation allowed Bret to be pushed without the WWE having to put a lot behind the singles wrestler.

-was Roberts vs Hercules a significant enough feud to deserve the secondary main event? Does it count as that? It is positioned as such, and is the third longest match on the card. I don't think I really appreciated Roberts at the time (hey, I was young) beyond his gimmick, but he seems a solid worker.
    Roberts vs Hercules wasn't a major match, let alone the secondary main event. Much like with Rick Rude vs Junkyard Dog, it was just a thrown on match while the real feud (Rude vs Roberts) continued to go on at house shows. Pay Per View still wasn't the main source of profit back in 1988. So all of these 80's PPV's were more like super shows at MSG, Meadowlands, Spectrum or some other major arena.

If there was a secondary main event, It would of probably have been Warrior vs Honky.
    ----

BTW, do they still have the intermission on the DVD's? The worst part about the show was a full 20 minute plug for an upcoming boxing event that Vince had some stake in.

Status

I realized the Eadie had been The Masked Superstar, same as Darsow had a run in JCP before WWE (okay, I had to look up the Darsow stuff on Wiki). Just with Eadie's age and their relative skills, I don't expect they would have been doing a great deal as singles wrestlers. So far as I can recall, Repo Man was essentially a jobber who got a few storylines because of his gimmick. Which is likely how I figure either would have gone as a single's career. Basically, I was just trying to get across that I think the tag team allowed them to accomplish much more than they likely would have as singles workers. And you are correct about Demolition having a bigger part in WWE lore than LOD, for the most part.

I knew that Bret didn't work with Neidhart immediatley upon joining the WWE, but I didn't think they really did much with him prior to it. Perhaps my assumption about him getting over eventually without the Hart Foundation are incorrect...

I almost forgot about Roberts causing the disqualification in the Rude-JYD match. That makes a lot more sense. I didn't think that Roberts and Hercules were feuding at that point, so it really didn't seem like a major match. I was just curious about the placement of it.

No intermission that I saw. I wouldn't put it past the WWE to leave it in there, though.

My intent is to do similar things for all of the SummerSlams. I welcome any comments and discussion, as that's kinda the reason I'm doing this. I really hope Jim continues to contribute, as his knowledge of wrestling history never ceased to amaze me.

I realized the Eadie had been The Masked Superstar, same as Darsow had a run in JCP before WWE (okay, I had to look up the Darsow stuff on Wiki). Just with Eadie's age and their relative skills, I don't expect they would have been doing a great deal as singles wrestlers. So far as I can recall, Repo Man was essentially a jobber who got a few storylines because of his gimmick. Which is likely how I figure either would have gone as a single's career. Basically, I was just trying to get across that I think the tag team allowed them to accomplish much more than they likely would have as singles workers. And you are correct about Demolition having a bigger part in WWE lore than LOD, for the most part.
    I wouldn't say Repo was a jobber. If he was a jobber, then almost everyone was at the time. He was a midcarder who eventually drifted to becoming a low carder before leaving the WWE. Like a lot of guys not named Shawn, Bret, Taker or Yoko, Darsow wasn't given a lot of time with the new character. He did play an important role in the DiBiase/Virgil feud and had a nice short program with Randy Savage in 1993.

After he left the WWE, he continued his singles career in WCW. The only memorable thing he did during the initial return was along with Dustin Rhodes, being fired for blading during a taped match. That "Match" was on the back of a moving semi. I'm not sure when exactly he returned, but he was a regular on WCW Saturday Night in a golfer gimmick. I seem to recall he eventually started coming out to a new gimmick every episode of Saturday Night. It's those years (After the first firing) that Darsow was a true jobber. However, besides the Gambler, Darsow's jobber character was one of the more memorable ones at the time.

I knew that Bret didn't work with Neidhart immediately upon joining the WWE, but I didn't think they really did much with him prior to it. Perhaps my assumption about him getting over eventually without the Hart Foundation are incorrect...
    If it wasn't for the Hart Foundation, Bret would of become Bret 'The Cowboy' Hart. Something tells me he wouldn't have gotten over.

I almost forgot about Roberts causing the disqualification in the Rude-JYD match. That makes a lot more sense. I didn't think that Roberts and Hercules were feuding at that point, so it really didn't seem like a major match. I was just curious about the placement of it.
    Minus the main event, none of the placement really means anything. After all, we got a freakin' time limit draw in the first match.

No intermission that I saw. I wouldn't put it past the WWE to leave it in there, though.
    I assume it's not in then. You would of remembered it if you would of saw it. It was nothing but interviews of boxers and shots of boxing.

My intent is to do similar things for all of the SummerSlams. I welcome any comments and discussion, as that's kinda the reason I'm doing this. I really hope Jim continues to contribute, as his knowledge of wrestling history never ceased to amaze me.
    I like the structure of the reviews. Just something a bit different than the normal way. I'm looking forward to review of '89. That's one of my favorite Summerslams. I've been meaning to review 1990 for months now. Seeing yours might get me interested in doing it.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986 View Post
    I like the structure of the reviews. Just something a bit different than the normal way. I'm looking forward to review of '89. That's one of my favorite Summerslams. I've been meaning to review 1990 for months now. Seeing yours might get me interested in doing it.
    I wanted to get away from the standard review style because I'm not sure I could possibly do it justice in that regard. Just throwing out my thoughts as I watch I can do. Looking at getting the 1989 one up later today.

Status

SummerSlam 1989
    Disc 2

Big Matches
    The Brain Busters d. The Hart Foundation
    The Ultimate Warrior d. Rick Rude - Intercontinental Championship Match
    Hulk Hogan + Brutus Beefcake d. Randy Savage + Zeus

Random Thoughts

-this one has me excited right off the start. Why? Jesse Ventura. I always loved him a heel commentator. It wasn't just the verbal jabs he took at whoever he was sitting with. It was the way he spun everything... Should've been clear even at that point that the man was cut out for a career in politics.

-Ventura's partner? Tony Schiavone. WTF? Did I know Schiavone worked for the WWE? Probably going to have to say no. Never a huge fan of the guy. Ventua being involved more than makes up for it, though.

-the 1989 SummerSlam starts with another solid tag team match - The Brainbusters versus The Hart Foundation. How can you not enjoy that one? Arn and Tully... so good together but man, I have just never liked that name. But how can you not like that they are managed by Bobby Heenan? The man is simply amazing. Just like watching a good tag match makes me miss a good tag division, watching Heenan do his thing makes me miss managers.

-Dusty in polka dots... The match against Honky is decent, and Rhodes sells like no ones business. Can't help but think of a WWE house show I went to around this era, when Dusty was feuding with DiBiase and my friend got a $50 when Dusty took the money from DiBiase's attemped buy off and gave it to the fans. My friend got the bill, but I ended up getting half of it. What does that have to do with this match? Nothing, but it is random...

-Mr Perfect is another guy who I never really appreciated back in the day. Never really liked or disliked him, but I enjoy him more and more when I go back and watch old stuff. Here he beats the snot out of The Red Rooster... what a stupid gimmick. Taylor was supposed to be a pretty talented worker, but gimmicks like that make you think they wanted him to fail...

-a pretty good 3v3 tag match, with Martel and the Rougeau's beating Santanta and the Rockers. Like the finish, with Jannetty getting pinned despite not being the legal man. I like that both Slick and Jimmy Hart with the heels. Again, this kind of thing just makes me miss the use of managers in the WWE.

-the Ultimate Warrior beats Rick Rude to win the Intercontinental belt. Again, a reminder the Warrior was pretty limited in the ring. Rude was prety good, at least better than I remember. Depsite the Ultimate Warrior, it doesn't turn out to be a bad match - the crowd's love of Warrior, Rude, Heenan, and the appearance of Piper all make for an ultimately watchable match. Love the rant by Heenan a short time after Rude loses the belt. Have I mentioned yet that I love Bobby Heenan and desperately miss managers in the WWE?

-next up is Duggan + Demolition against Andre, Bossman, + Akeem. The faces win after Duggan tags Akeem with his 2x4. You know, I really didn't recall faces using nefarious means to win quite this often...

-the Greg Valentine vs Hercules match is simply to drive forward a feud between Valentine and Rugged Ronnie Garvin, apparently. I don't recall the feud. I don't even really recall Garvin being in the WWF. I do, however, recall having the match from 1987 where "Hands of Stone" Ronnie Garvin won the NWA belt from Ric Flair on tape forever. Why do I remember it? Because of a post-match montage set to "We are the Champions" which I loved. Don't judge me - I was a kid.

-DiBiase is one more guy that I probably didn't appreciate as much back in the day as I should have. Despite the fact that his gimmick managed to put $25 in my pocket once. What can I say? I was about 9 years old.

-Zeus. Good lord, Zeus. I remember seeing No Holds Barred in theaters, and I remember watching his first appearances in the WWF. I guess he's not that terrible of a worker given his lack of being a wrestler and all, but his big move is the bear hug... Really, a bear hug? Still, a watchable main event. I do like that its the second SummerSlam in a row with no world title match - that's something the current WWE could do a bit more, I think. Also note-worth - the pop that Miss Elizabeth got before the match when she made an appearance was huge. Again, made me wish... yeah yeah, you get the point. Unfortunately, this one did not feature Miss Elizabeth's underwear in any notable manner. That, at least, was disappointing. And the match ended when Hogan used Sherri's "loaded purse" on Zeus... Second SummerSlam in a row where the faces had to essentially cheat to win. Hmmm...

Be prepared, I'm going to probably multi-quote for all of these reviews.

-Ventura's partner? Tony Schiavone. WTF? Did I know Schiavone worked for the WWE? Probably going to have to say no. Never a huge fan of the guy. Ventua being involved more than makes up for it, though.
    Tony was in the WWE for a brief time in 1989-1990. He'd be used as a B-Level face play-by-play announcer while Gorilla remained on for the bigger shows.

-the 1989 SummerSlam starts with another solid tag team match - The Brainbusters versus The Hart Foundation. How can you not enjoy that one? Arn and Tully... so good together but man, I have just never liked that name. But how can you not like that they are managed by Bobby Heenan? The man is simply amazing. Just like watching a good tag match makes me miss a good tag division, watching Heenan do his thing makes me miss managers.
    The notable thing about this is that for the second year in a row, Bret managed to have the best match of the night. This would be the common trend up until he left the company. Even with Bret not appearing at a Summerslam for over 10 years, he's Mr. Summerslam in my eyes.

-Dusty in polka dots... The match against Honky is decent, and Rhodes sells like no ones business.
    Once again, we get a random match instead of the real feud, in this case, Rhodes vs Boss Man.

-a pretty good 3v3 tag match, with Martel and the Rougeau's beating Santanta and the Rockers.
    Another early SS trend was the 6 man tags.

-the Ultimate Warrior beats Rick Rude to win the Intercontinental belt. Again, a reminder the Warrior was pretty limited in the ring. Rude was prety good, at least better than I remember.
    Easily one of Warrior's best matches. In yet another common trend, the IC title changes hands.

-next up is Duggan + Demolition against Andre, Bossman, + Akeem. The faces win after Duggan tags Akeem with his 2x4. You know, I really didn't recall faces using nefarious means to win quite this often...
    Duggan wasn't completely facelike at times. Since he was pretty much a dumbass, he would cheat a lot and most of the time get caught.

-the Greg Valentine vs Hercules match is simply to drive forward a feud between Valentine and Rugged Ronnie Garvin, apparently. I don't recall the feud. I don't even really recall Garvin being in the WWF.
    Garvin came into the company in early 1989. His only feud was against Greg Valentine. They would end up having a pretty good hard hitting match at Royal Rumble 1990. After that, he was squashed by Earthquake on SNME and only appeared now and then before drifting off once and for all. Garvin was up there in age when he came to the WWE, so a long career wasn't in the cards. Pretty forgettable though.

-Zeus. Good lord, Zeus. I remember seeing No Holds Barred in theaters, and I remember watching his first appearances in the WWF. I guess he's not that terrible of a worker given his lack of being a wrestler and all, but his big move is the bear hug... Really, a bear hug? Still, a watchable main event. I do like that its the second SummerSlam in a row with no world title match - that's something the current WWE could do a bit more, I think. Also note-worth - the pop that Miss Elizabeth got before the match when she made an appearance was huge. Again, made me wish... yeah yeah, you get the point. Unfortunately, this one did not feature Miss Elizabeth's underwear in any notable manner. That, at least, was disappointing. And the match ended when Hogan used Sherri's "loaded purse" on Zeus... Second SummerSlam in a row where the faces had to essentially cheat to win. Hmmm...
    Just like at the previous SS, Hogan and company were able to work together to help a weaker talent get through the match. Unlike Zeus, Andre was a good worker, but his body was just giving out to him, but he still knew how to get a reaction. For Zeus, it was just the same old shit over and over. It's a true testament of how good Hogan was that he was able to make him look like he had a shred of talent. Thankfully, they let Savage do the brunt of the work. As for the cheating thing, keep in mind that the heels spent the entire time building up the match cheating. Savage won a lot of matches using Sherri's loaded purse. So it was like beating the heels with their own tricks.

I loved these early Summerslams though. To me, they were more of a stripped down simple PPV compared to the gimmick ones of Survivor Series and Royal Rumble or the celeb driven Wrestlemania. It was very little glitz and glamour, but more of just straight out action. I love how they had certain common trends of 6 man tags, new IC champions and a killer tag team match. Starting with the next one, you're going to see more common PPV matches. Feuds are going to be put into matches for PPV instead of just being house show draws. Sadly, the workrate of 1990 can't come close to compare to 1989. 1989 is easily my favorite wrestling year.

Status

SummerSlam 1990
    Disc 3

Major Matches

Texas Tornado d. Curt Hennig - Intercontinental championship match
    Randy Savage d. Dusty Rhodes
    Hulk Hogan d. Earthquake
    Ultimate Warrior d. Rick Rude - WWF World Championship match

Random Thoughts

-the commentators... Vince McMahon and Roddy Piper. Don't mind Piper at all, and at least Vinny Mac hasn't got into his over-selling of pin attempts as he will slightly later in his commentating career. That is endlessly annoying.

-the show starts with another tag match.... I see a trend here! This is Power & Glory beating the Rockers. It doesn't live up to the openers from the last two.

-Texas Tornado and Curt Hennig battle for the Intercontinental championship. I think I enjoy this one more than I should - two good workers in a fairly short match. But you throw in Bobby Heenan and the IC belt, and its good times. Heenan's lead-in promo was great. No one did the subtle digs like The Brain.

-the first four matches contain less than 20 minutes of wrestling, and one of them has zero - Sapphire not showing up to face Sherri. So much for the idea of short matches being a more contemporary (mid 90s on) WWE thing... No idea where I got that idea from anyway...

-the Hart Foundation take the belts from Demolition in a Best-Two-out-of-Three Falls match. Really enjoy this one. From the third member of Demoltion bit to the Road Warriors showing up, its just fun. Again, the tag team division delivers. I think someone needs to sit Vinnie Mac down and show him some of these old DVDs...

-three more matches with about 10 minutes of total time in the ring. One of those is Savage beating Dusty Rhodes. The entire match is basically for storyline of Sapphire leaving Dusty, apparently. Its kind of disappointing when you think about it, as its the kind of match that is something of a dream match up. The resulting 3-minute Savage win is not a thing of greatness.

-promo with Rick Rude... Where the hell did his mullet go? I like him less without the mullet. Thank goodness he's still rocking the porn 'stache.

-I remember the Hogan feud with Earthquake pretty well. At least, I thought I did. For some reason, I thought it happened when Hogan still had the belt for some reason, so apparently I don't remember it all that well at all. The match is pretty good, in part due to a hot crowd. They do love them some Hulk. I get the feeling that its Hogan dragging Tenta to a pretty decent match, as I don't recall him doing a great deal otherwise. I also remember his Earthquake finisher being more fearsome when I was young, but it doesn't seem nearly so impressive now. Just the way he lets off before he sits.

-a series of promos between that match and the main event. Time to get the cage together. They showcase the good - Hogan and Rhodes, separately - and the incomprehensible - Warrior. I guess you have to give Ultimate some credit, as he's clearly passionate in his promos. Just completely nonsensical.

-main event time. Rude and Warrior for the title in a cage. Sounds like fun. Rude is rocking a hella nice robe on his way to the ring. Still doesn't make up for the lack of mullet. Nice tights, too. The Ultimate Warrior counters with some great tassels on his boots. The match is meh... Doesn't seem to live up to the IC match on SS '89. The crowd really gets into it about halfway through. Bobby Heenan getting involved and selling like hell helps.

Broadcast Journalist

Status

'89 was also one of my favorite SS's. I watched it over and over when I was a kid. Heenan's rant is priceless. I was a huge Warrior mark at the time, so I loved that match. That was also the match that made me love Piper.

Did they edit out this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VV0Dcj1zPI

Epic blooper.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    '89 was also one of my favorite SS's. I watched it over and over when I was a kid. Heenan's rant is priceless. I was a huge Warrior mark at the time, so I loved that match. That was also the match that made me love Piper.

Did they edit out this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VV0Dcj1zPI

Epic blooper.
    That one was not part of the DVD. Sadly.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Wooo! '91 next, for Hart/Perfect alone it's worth a watch. The first PPV i ever watched. I fucking love it, and when my ex bought it for my birthday a couple of years back I was exstatic. Love it.

-the show starts with another tag match.... I see a trend here! This is Power & Glory beating the Rockers. It doesn't live up to the openers from the last two.
    Considering how Shawn got hurt days before the show, I thought the match was better than it should have been. Power and Glory are one of my favorite tag teams of all time. They were supposed to be winning the tag team titles at the end of the year from the Rockers, but then all of the chaos began.

-Texas Tornado and Curt Hennig battle for the Intercontinental championship. I think I enjoy this one more than I should - two good workers in a fairly short match. But you throw in Bobby Heenan and the IC belt, and its good times. Heenan's lead-in promo was great. No one did the subtle digs like The Brain.
    These two wrestled each other on so many times within the next 6 months. I believe in total, the WWE showed 8-10 of their matches on TV or Coliseum Home Video releases.

-the first four matches contain less than 20 minutes of wrestling, and one of them has zero - Sapphire not showing up to face Sherri. So much for the idea of short matches being a more contemporary (mid 90s on) WWE thing... No idea where I got that idea from anyway...
    Welcome to the shitty year that was 1990.

-the Hart Foundation take the belts from Demolition in a Best-Two-out-of-Three Falls match. Really enjoy this one. From the third member of Demolition bit to the Road Warriors showing up, its just fun.
    Can you say 3-0 for Bret stealing the show?

-three more matches with about 10 minutes of total time in the ring. One of those is Savage beating Dusty Rhodes. The entire match is basically for storyline of Sapphire leaving Dusty, apparently. Its kind of disappointing when you think about it, as its the kind of match that is something of a dream match up. The resulting 3-minute Savage win is not a thing of greatness.
    This thing still pisses me off. There's nothing wrong with starting the Rhodes/DiBiase feud off with a major angle, but you don't do it at the climax of Dusty's last feud. Dusty and Savage had been feuding since about the end of 1989 and this was to be the blow off match. Instead of getting a proper ending, we had DiBiase talking much of the time and Savage winning without any real intensity. Terrible waste of Savage.

-promo with Rick Rude... Where the hell did his mullet go? I like him less without the mullet. Thank goodness he's still rocking the porn 'stache.
    The cutting of the hair was put of Rude becoming more serious. As soon as Wrestlemania 6 ended, Rude and Heenan started shooting vignettes in a gym with Rude working out. Heenan kept Rude's shirt on the entire time to help put over that Rude was more serious than ever and wasn't going to show off the end result. It wouldn't make much of a difference since Rude would be pissed off that he'd be depushed into a feud with the Big Boss Man over Heenan saying things about Boss Man's mom, so Rude quit.

I get the feeling that its Hogan dragging Tenta to a pretty decent match, as I don't recall him doing a great deal otherwise.
    Tenta was decent, but agile big man. At one time, the WO was saying how he had the best dropkick in all of pro wrestling (Early 1988 IIRC). I'd blame his poor performances on the WWE style more than anything else though.

-a series of promos between that match and the main event. Time to get the cage together.
    Thankfully, Vince and others started investing in machines to lower the cage down from the top of the arena. It saves so much more time.

Overall, it's a huge step down from the quality that was 1989 SS. Even though 88 had more crap, it was more than just an one match show like this was. I believe you're safe for the rest of the decade from the one match SS's.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986 View Post
    Considering how Shawn got hurt days before the show, I thought the match was better than it should have been. Power and Glory are one of my favorite tag teams of all time. They were supposed to be winning the tag team titles at the end of the year from the Rockers, but then all of the chaos began.

Can you say 3-0 for Bret stealing the show?

This thing still pisses me off. There's nothing wrong with starting the Rhodes/DiBiase feud off with a major angle, but you don't do it at the climax of Dusty's last feud. Dusty and Savage had been feuding since about the end of 1989 and this was to be the blow off match. Instead of getting a proper ending, we had DiBiase talking much of the time and Savage winning without any real intensity. Terrible waste of Savage.

The cutting of the hair was put of Rude becoming more serious. As soon as Wrestlemania 6 ended, Rude and Heenan started shooting vignettes in a gym with Rude working out. Heenan kept Rude's shirt on the entire time to help put over that Rude was more serious than ever and wasn't going to show off the end result. It wouldn't make much of a difference since Rude would be pissed off that he'd be depushed into a feud with the Big Boss Man over Heenan saying things about Boss Man's mom, so Rude quit.

Tenta was decent, but agile big man. At one time, the WO was saying how he had the best dropkick in all of pro wrestling (Early 1988 IIRC). I'd blame his poor performances on the WWE style more than anything else though.
    The chaos? There was something about the Hart Foundation, Rockers, and belts, but the details are fuzzy. Is that where the Hart-Michaels dislike stems from?

I couldn't pick a better time to be watching the Bret Hart boxed... errr... SummerSlam boxed set, as I'm also reading the Bret Hart book right now. Coincidence, but its working out nicely so far.

That Savage-Rhodes match was a feud ender? Wow, what a let down. Some terrible booking right there.

Hmm... I guess I can bye Tenta as more than your average 450-pound worker. By memory, he was better than Typhoon/Tugboat, though I could be completely wrong on that. Best dropkick, though? Wow.

The chaos? There was something about the Hart Foundation, Rockers, and belts, but the details are fuzzy. Is that where the Hart-Michaels dislike stems from?
    Bret and Shawn never really had a problem until The Clique started running the show around 1995. Bret was kinda put off by it and it only kept escalating from something minor (1995) to something major (Months leading to Montreal).

Basically, the chaos was all of the changes that affected the tag team division. Originally, The Rockers were supposed to win the titles sometime before Survivor Series and then lose them to Power and Glory. Bret was already instilling enough confidence in McMahon to try out his second singles push (Original was in 1988). So the Rockers were meant to be the next main face team. However, the first curve ball was The Road Warriors coming into town. As you saw on this show, all attention immediately went towards them. Even though the Hart Foundation would remain tag team champions through the end of the year, their feud with Honky and Valentine was a minor feud compared to the Road Warriors vs Demolition.

Then you had the SNME title switch (Didn't actually air) where the rope broke, but the Rockers still won the belts. There's a few different stories around with this title switch. The main one saw Neidhart leaving the WWE around this time, so it only made more sense to change titles. However, I seem to recall hearing Michaels was close to leaving the WWE as well. So Vince brought Neidhart back and gave the belts back to the Harts. There's another story I believe that said Shawn was hurt (Knee I believe) so the Harts got the belts back and Shane Douglas started teaming with Marty Jannetty around this same time. Whichever story it is, the switch was ignored when it didn't really need to be.

Anyways, with the Road Warriors taking all of the spotlight and the whole mess that was the switch, but then not a switch with the Harts and Rockers, Roma and Hercules was forgotten about.

That Savage-Rhodes match was a feud ender? Wow, what a let down. Some terrible booking right there.
    Yup...9 months and we get that blow off match. Fun eh?

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Yeah so many stories about that time, I've even heard that it was around the time Shawn and Marty started to have their differences, but Vince saw how over they were and decided to give them the belts. Their losing to Power and Glory (Very Underrated tag-team in my opinion, right up there with Dough Furnas and Phil Lafon) was going to start their breakup and eventual feud.

These reviews and counterpoints are one of the reasons I like to stroll about on the boards.

Keep 'em coming.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I heard the reason they didn't air the title change was because after the rope broke the match suffered and Vince didn't want to air such a shambles of a match, and then never re-scheduled the change. Or at least that's the story HBK tells in one of the DVD's I've watched. It could just be the company line on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    I heard the reason they didn't air the title change was because after the rope broke the match suffered and Vince didn't want to air such a shambles of a match, and then never re-scheduled the change. Or at least that's the story HBK tells in one of the DVD's I've watched. It could just be the company line on it though.
    The problem with that story is why didn't they just tape a new match? Or better yet, why didn't Vince just have the Rockers and Hart Foundation go back out there and retape the match? It wasn't unheard of to have McMahon order wrestlers to redo a match that for whatever reason was bad.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Agreed. It is very strange that it wasn't re-done later or elsewhere even. That's never really explained on the DVD other than to say that the match was shitty and Vince said it wouldn't be shown. Which was fair enough, but way not just do it again? The question isn't even asked never mind answered.

Thread Information