Thread: ROH World Champion (results)

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

ROH World Champion (results)

So I know that Jerry Lynn wasn't the favorite to win the ROH World Title, and a lot of people wanted Nigel to hold off to drop it to someone else. I myself think it is relatively a good move. One of the reasons I think some people take offense to it is because they see it as some TNA move here, giving the Title to an old guy, but I disagree. Jerry Lynn is Jerry Lynn and even though he is 40 or so now, he is better than 50% of the wrestling World. With thatsaid, he's a fomer ECW Champion, and it adds a little prestige to that belt. What are your thoughts and opinions on Jerry Lynn becoming the ROH Champion?

Sand in the potato salad.

Status

Re: ROH World Champion (results)

He was ECW champ towards the very end when it meant nothing, so idunno about prestige. I think by sig sums il my thoughts on him winning it, and I'm a fan if his too. I'll elaborate more when I'm not on my iPod.

WAKE UP

Status

Have you even seen any of Lynn's ROH matches? He's not even better than 50% of the roster let alone THE ENTIRE WRESTLING WORLD.

There is zero prestige gained from giving it to a guy who was a popular indy guy a decade ago.

Lynn isn't going to draw a dime and I can't see him having any particularly great matches. I'm fairly sure Pearce is a fucking idiot.

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Steventon View Post
    Have you even seen any of Lynn's ROH matches? He's not even better than 50% of the roster let alone THE ENTIRE WRESTLING WORLD.
    To be fair, saying that he isn't better than 50% of the ROH Roster is exactly saying he isn't better than 50% of the wrestling world.

Anyways, eh, I like Jerry Lynn. Obviously he shouldn't be a long term champion or anything, but the guy deserves it for a little bit. I don't mind the decision.

WAKE UP

Status

Why? ROH have some extremely talented wrestler but it's not like they are have an amazing roster or anything. Being in the bottom half of the roster sure is enough for you to be a terrible choice for champion. I have to wonder wether you've actually seen any of Lynn's recent ROH work.

Indy Talent

Status

I have seen his recent ROH work. Its good, but I don't agree with him being champ. I would have loved to see KENTA as ROH champ back at 7YS, but I don't think KENTA would have been able to put enough time into ROH to be the champion.

If he is still champion in 3-4 months I will begen questioning ROH. But for now I will bear through this transition. Besides, ROH has plenty of great stuff away from the belt.

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status

I have seen it, and it's good. Not the best I've ever seen, or anything close, but it is good. If you don't think he's acceptable as the "World Champion" of a small promotion which barely has a TV deal then you're probably setting your standards too high. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it probably is the case.

Like I said, I don't mind it. There are obviously better choices and more deserving people, but I don't mind this.

For a transitional champion, Lynn is a good enough choice. Whether or not people agree with this, is up to them. More than anything, this is a 'Thank-you' reign for a guy who hasn't always been given the respect he deserved. He was treated horribly in WCW, WWE and in the second half of his TNA run. At 40+ years old, how much more time does Lynn have? Maybe that shouldn't play a part in who becomes champion, but ROH did/does need a couple of guys to have short title reigns before we get another long one. With Black having all of this momentum, he should be given the next long title reign.

As long as it's kept short, I see no real reason to complain. There's far bigger things to complain about in wrestling.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I have seen it, and it's good. Not the best I've ever seen, or anything close, but it is good. If you don't think he's acceptable as the "World Champion" of a small promotion which barely has a TV deal then you're probably setting your standards too high. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it probably is the case.

Like I said, I don't mind it. There are obviously better choices and more deserving people, but I don't mind this.
    Not really. Not when Lynn's "I'm so old, I want to see if I still got its" angle has been shoved down our throats enough. In my opinion, the guy proved he can hang with the young'uns when he beat Aries, beat Dragon and took Nigel to the limit in Lynn's best ROH match. That should've been it. Instead, Lynn is crying on videowires, whining about people calling him Randy the Ram, and not getting to see his daughter grow up. I was fine with the angle until it got that soppy and I think that's when most people stopped getting behind him.

And my standards are not too high when there are better options like Tyler Black or even Dragon. Dragon could've easily won back at Rising Above and most folk would've been fine with it. If anyone's going to be the first 2-time champ, the majority would agree it's him, plus Nigel's reign was starting to wear down by that point. Tyler, I actually wouldn't have minded if he went over an injured Nigel, I would think it brings more heat to their rivalry. While Nigel's away, he could finally get that win over Dragon, settle that feud with Aries and Jimmy and get some good, solid defenses in to make him look more of a legitimate champion. Then when Nigel comes back 100%, whining about losing the title whilst injured, saying Tyler never has and never will beat him at his best, that's when we get our epic rematch. Tyler goes over and that's our legitimate title reign out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

I wasn't aware not wanting some past-it over-40 who never was a draw as a world champion in a company that seriously needs to grow otherwise it will go out of business was "setting my standards high".

I saw on another site that apparently Cary had been pulling for Lynn to win the belt back when Gabe was in charge, so it would appear that it was more Cary's decision rather than Pearce's.

Sand in the potato salad.

Status

Lynn's win has been planned for months. I've seen people saying that ROH had tobeork with what they had with Nigel being injured, but that's not the case. The company is exactly where they planned to be with the world title. Even if he is a transitional champion, the fact that his run has been planned sucks.
    Early on in ROH, I could see Lynn having a run, but now, when ROH just got a tv deal? Absolutely not.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I think maybe ROH was trying to go with something they witnessed: 'The Wrestler'. They might be high on these guys in thier fourties who give 100% everyday and Lynn may be their Randy Robinson. Plus, with Lynn having TV experience more than most of the guys, they are possibly putting the title on him to appeal to fans.

I don't know. Am I the only one for this?
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

On Vacation

Status

Come to think of it, who else could have taken the title off of Nigel? Tyler Black can't cut a promo to save his life, Danielson may be gone next month, Austin Aries is a heel... I wasn't a fan of Jerry Lynn winning at first but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

WAKE UP

Status

It's not bad if he's transitional but for him to hold it for a few months more would be apalling. Aries is easily the best choice for champ now. He has the persona, the ability, he's worthy of it and perhaps more importantly, he comes off the best on TV by a country mile. Have Aries beat him soon and have him do it in brutal and humiliating fashion to put Aries as the top heel in the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Lynn's win has been planned for months. I've seen people saying that ROH had tobeork with what they had with Nigel being injured, but that's not the case. The company is exactly where they planned to be with the world title. Even if he is a transitional champion, the fact that his run has been planned sucks.
    Early on in ROH, I could see Lynn having a run, but now, when ROH just got a tv deal? Absolutely not.
    If anything, this was the perfect time to put the belt on Lynn. Cary got the TV deal in order to bring in new fans, not just showcase more wrestling for the current ROH audience. Whenever you try to bring in new fans, it's best to pimp out the biggest names the most. Lynn is easily the biggest name ROH has outside of D-Lo Brown. Having Tyler Black as the company's champion isn't going to entice new fans to keep watching. However, having a guy who has been a star elsewhere can. The most obvious thing for ROH to do is to use Lynn's name to help build up the star status of Tyler Black. Having Black beat Lynn will allow new fans to realize that Black is a good wrestler.

Using star status over your future is the same exact thing ECW did at their first PPV (Funk over Raven) and TNA at their first weekly PPV (Shamrock winning the belt)

It's not as if Lynn has been putting on dud of matches all over the country. Since returning to ROH, he's been fairly good and has been better than expected. I see no reason to complain about Lynn getting the title when it's all about drawing in new fans and Black (Or really anyone else in ROH) doesn't have any drawing power outside of indy fans.

WAKE UP

Status

I agree, those five extra fans Lynn draws really make an impact.

Lynn isn't a draw. He wasn't a draw in ECW, WCW, WWE, TNA or ROH. Attendence numbers havent gone up, if anything they seem to have declined. DVD sales aren't going up either, though I'd put that more on the "B show" mentality. Lynn is in no way a significant draw and won't make the slightest bit of difference to new viewers. ROH has got this far by offering a product seen as superior to WWE and TNA, and they've done that through bringing the match quality, something Lynn isn't capable of doing... or atleast capable of doing anywhere near half as well as some of the roster can.

I agree, those five extra fans Lynn draws really make an impact.

Lynn isn't a draw. He wasn't a draw in ECW, WCW, WWE, TNA or ROH. Attendence numbers havent gone up, if anything they seem to have declined. DVD sales aren't going up either, though I'd put that more on the "B show" mentality. Lynn is in no way a significant draw and won't make the slightest bit of difference to new viewers. ROH has got this far by offering a product seen as superior to WWE and TNA, and they've done that through bringing the match quality, something Lynn isn't capable of doing... or atleast capable of doing anywhere near half as well as some of the roster can.
    And Black is a draw?

Lynn is easily capable of putting on a good match with someone. If Pearce would actually book better instead of making nearly every show feel like a B or even a C show, this wouldn't be a problem.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

The belt should of gone to Davey Richards. Guy has improved so fucking much it is ridiculous and with his style plus the on-going problem Nigel had with his arm ever since he has won the title would of been perfect. The guy has the attitude, the personality, the skills, and the charisma to carry the company on his back if needed to and ROH neeeds to get on that while they can. Lynn may be a common known guy with people not familiar with the company but I think people would be more interested in the other more new stars than Lynn to begin with. After all, that's why they are checking out ROH to begin with because it is something new and something people wanted to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986 View Post
    And Black is a draw?

Lynn is easily capable of putting on a good match with someone. If Pearce would actually book better instead of making nearly every show feel like a B or even a C show, this wouldn't be a problem.
    Never said Black was a draw, but to a degree no one on the roster is. The main critiria for someone as ROH, and ROH as a company, is the ability to produce those oh-so-precious MOTYCs. If ROH want to grow they have to offer a superior or alternative product. Whilest I don't think Black has fully evolved or is yet at title-worthy level he is better than Lynn. I have to wonder how much you have seen of Lynn's stint in ROH so far. I thought his match from ASE was the worst Danielson match of last year. The only Lynn match I've see from ROH I would say it worth checking out would be the return match against Nigel and that was pretty muuch 75% Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by Capone View Post
    The belt should of gone to Davey Richards. Guy has improved so fucking much it is ridiculous and with his style plus the on-going problem Nigel had with his arm ever since he has won the title would of been perfect. The guy has the attitude, the personality, the skills, and the charisma to carry the company on his back if needed to and ROH neeeds to get on that while they can. Lynn may be a common known guy with people not familiar with the company but I think people would be more interested in the other more new stars than Lynn to begin with. After all, that's why they are checking out ROH to begin with because it is something new and something people wanted to see.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome back Capone.

Davey has improved but if they want a heel champ Aries is the best answer. Davey is doing great in the Wolves.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome back Capone.

Davey has improved but if they want a heel champ Aries is the best answer. Davey is doing great in the Wolves.
    Aries is awesome and I can definitely say that especially after seeing his awesomeness during WM weekend but Davey has that serious more intense heel persona which leads me to believing he has more o the right for the title in my opinion. I will say, however, that ether of being champion beats the hell out of Lynn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Thread Information