Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Wrestling Federation: Generation Supreme

Status

Supreme Wrestling Federation: Generation Supreme

The Background
    What is the Supreme Wrestling Federation? What is the CornellVerse? What's the point of all of this? As you read this, you might be asking yourself all of these, and understandably so. Here's some explanation that may help.

First off, this is a game I am playing on Total Extreme Wrestling 2008. The CornellVerse is the default fictional database that comes with the game, and the Supreme Wrestling Federation (SWF) is one of the promotions in that fictional universe.

Why go with a fictional game with fictional characters? Because of the freedom it allows you, quite simply. Rather than taking established characters from the real world and adapting them to what I want to do, I can take whatever character the game gives them and expand upon it to a large degree. But its more than that, as the CornellVerse is far deeper and detailed than most "fictional databases" that may come with such games. It has an entire history - which you can read about on this site - and a feel all its own. And the reason its called the "CornellVerse" is that the single greatest worker is a British wrestler by the name of Tommy Cornell, who is the world champion and owner of Total Championship Wrestling, the #2 American promotion.

One thing to keep in mind is that this universe is not intended as a "slightly fictionalized" version of reality, where all the workers and promotions are obviously intended to represent world world counterparts, with minor name changes. You can often find some similarities between the real world and the CornellVerse, but they are rarely direct.

Now the Supreme Wrestling Federation is the dominant promotion in both American and the world. The owner, Richard Eisen, revolutionized wrestling in the mid 1970s when he introduced Sports Entertainment. He took the SWF to a dominant position in the business very quickly, ending the territorial system that had existed previously. Supreme had dominated since then, not really facing a true challenge until the upstart TCW came into being in 1996, and it has been chasing the SWF ever since. That might sound a bit like the WWE, and the arcs of two promotions and their respective owners are about as close you get in the game. But the SWF is not the WWE.

This is actually a repost of a diary I am doing on the Grey Dog forums. I'm going to post everything from that diary over here to bring this up to date. The diary starts in March of 2008 and is currently in July, so there's quite a bit to get through. I will also mention that I encourage questions - so if you want more detail on anything about the game or the diary, let me know.

The Set Up
    It is March 2008. Richard Eisen's Supreme Wrestling Federation has dominated the American wrestling world for three decades. A decade of challenge from Total Championship Wrestling (formerly Hollyweird Grappling Company) has not toppled Supreme for its pedestal. However, many in the wrestling continue to question whether SWF can possibly maintain its dominance. Even moreso, there are those who question whether the Sports Entertainment approach can remain relevant in the ever-changing environs of popular culture.

The Sports Entertainment approach is what separated SWF from the territorial system masses from the start. The presentation of the spectacle as a spectacle. Much as Hollywood evolved the basic concept of an entertaining film to create the epic blockbuster film, Richard Eisen evolved professional wrestling into Sports Entertainment. The dominance of SWF has taken more than just the creation of Sports Entertainment, though, as this approach has been continually adapted to stay current with contemporary American pop culture. Much like Hollywood and the music industry, SWF's approach to staying current with popular culture has actually resulted in the promotion affecting and creating popular culture at times.

Perhaps the greatest success of Richard Eisen and SWF has been that as a marketing machine. As effectively as any major corporation out there, Eisen and Supreme have sold SWF as a brand. Since the early 1980s, Supreme has excelled at myth-making. Everything possible has been slapped with a memorable, from the promotions superstars being branded as Supreme Legends on down.

The newest attempt at myth-making for the Supreme Wrestling Federation may be its most risky. After signing a new legion of talented young wrestlers to join the young talent already on the roster, the promotion has launched what it has dubbed Generation Supreme. With a major marketing and ideological push behind Generation Supreme, there is a great deal riding on the shoulders of the SWF youth movement. As part of this new approach, the younger workers of the promotion will even take a role in booking the world's biggest wrestling promotion. If the approach fails, it could spell disaster for Eisen and his promotion.

The Vision of the SWF
    Just further clarify the earlier statement that the Supreme Wrestling Federation is not just the World Wrestling Entertainment that happens to be based in the CornellVerse... I have used the WWF/WWE for the basis for how I imagine the SWF to be, but its really just taking elements from different eras of the WWF/WWE. Even taking some elements from WCW and the old territorial promotions. There is some stuff that is meant to be subtle homages to the old school - and some of it not-so-subtle...

What I've tried to do is go with primary storylines that would appeal a broad audience. Most of the stories have a relatively simple basis, so as to appeal to the average fans and young fans. At the same time, many stories have are meant to have a bit more subtle depth that would appeal to the smarks. I am trying to do the same with some of the characters. Take the Jack Bruce character for example - the over-the-top "Show Time" hype for the fans to love, but layered with him being a bit disrespectful and condescending at times, which makes him seem a bit more "real" to the type of fans who looked for that.

I do realize that comedy is a key element of SWF, based on the product settings. I try to incorporate humor, but not in a grossly overt manner. I would rather have bits of humor mixed in, through the announcers and a few wrestlers with some amusing aspects to them, rather than entire characters there just for laughs. Well, outside of Jerry Eisen, anyway.

My booking style tends to run along my preferences - lots of tag teams, lots of stables, and lots of managers. I don't do quick title changes (other than with the low level titles, which is the point of them) and I don't do frequent turns or character changes. I try to avoid the "what happened last week doesn't matter at all" mentality. Which isn't to say I have absolute continuity, but that's really the goal. I try to avoid really ridiculous gimmicks, unless its truly creative. And yes, I'm working on a few of those.

It is probably worth noting that the brand split was not something I planned from the start. I often end up with a bloated roster after signing too many workers, so I decided that I would only sign workers that I could decide on a role for in the SWF, even if they were going to development first. The only problem with that was I did not end up getting rid of anyone (besides Big Smack Scott but that wasn't even really by choice). I figured on getting rid of some "dead wood" off the roster but found everyone relatively useful. So I decided to go with the brand split. It provides a chance to have slightly different visions of the SWF. Plus I don't think its something anyone is doing in a TEW 2008 diary for the CornellVerse (that I've noticed). Hopefully the brands will grow to be more distinct - that's the plan at least.

Another thing I will mention is that I use my B show (Generation Supreme) a great deal. For one, that means that some of the guys who don't seem to do much other than job on the main shows (Enygma, Enforcer Roberts, etc) usually get regular wins on there. For another, it means there are guys (and girls) on the B show that don't get on the main shows for some particular reason. They might be essentially trainers (Steve Flash), they might be "dark match" jobbers, or they might be guys working towards their debut (did this with Badd Kompany, for one). What the means is that the roster on this page is never quite accurate. Now that I have the full second show and brand, some of the relatively forgotten workers such as Engyma and Death Row will be getting more screen time and possibly even storylines of their own. They are not about to become the focus, but they will be less ignored.

The information on the front page here, I intend to keep current with the roster, title-holders, etc. This might make things easier for readers to keep track of those things.

Almost all of the images have been taken from the game or from the GDS site. All credit goes to the creators. Special credit to Hakk99 for proving the pay per view logos and to ReapeR for the custom championship belt renders.

Status

Re: Supreme Wrestling Federation: Generation Supreme

SWF Information

Basic Information
    Nation: United States
    Founded: January 1972
    Founder: Richard Eisen
    Owner: Richard Eisen
    Popularity: Global
    Schedule: Full-Time
    Style: Sports Entertainment

Popularity
    World Rank: #1
    National Rank: #1

• United States: B / B+
    • Canada: B-
    • Mexico: D-
    • United Kingdom: C
    • Japan: D-
    • Europe: E+
    • Australia: F+

Status

SWF Titles

SWF Supreme Brand

SWF World Heavyweight Championship

Rich Money
    Reign: 9 weeks
    Level: Main Event
    SWF North American Championship

Antonio Marquez
    Reign: 1 week
    Level: Mid Level
    SWF World Tag Team Championship

Sin Inc
    Reign: 1 week
    SWF Generations Championship

Ace Newton
    Reign: 4 weeks
    Level: Low Level

SWF Supreme Championship

Christian Faith
    Level: Main Event
    SWF Legends Championship

Bloodstone
    SWF Sky Club Division Tag Team Championships

High Concept
    Reign: 5 week
    SWF Shooting Star Championship

Acid
    Reign: 5 weeks
    Level: Low Level

Status

SWF Roster
    As of September 2008
    Roster Split
    Brand A: SWF Supreme - Regular Focus
    Brand B: SWF Legends - Modern Focus
    Brand C: SWF Generations - Regular Focus
    Type: Soft Split
    SWF Supreme Brand
    Main Event
    • Angry Gilmore - Leader of Team Gilmore - Popularity A
    • Payne - Popularity A
    • Jack Bruce: The Long Island Angel - Popularity A
    • Remo: The Alpha Dog - Popularity A*
    • Chris Morrisette - Popularity A*
    • Rich Money: Hard Cash - Popularity A*
    • Randy Bumfhole - Popularity B+
    • Marc DuBois: "The Evolution" - Leader of Remember Tomorrow Stable - Popularity B+
    • Antonio Marquez - Part of Los Diablos tag team - Popularity B+ / A
    • Sean McFly: "The American Tiger" - Popularity A

Upper Midcard
    • John McClean - Part of Sin Inc tag team - Popularity B+
    • Darryl Devine: The Angsty Young Man - Popularity C+ / B-
    • Zimmy Bumfhole - Part of The Immortal Bumfholes tag team - Popularity C+ / B-
    • Sean Deeley - Part of Badd Kopmany tag team - Popularity C+ / B-
    • Giedroyc - Part of Valiant & Giedroyc tag team - Popularity B
    • Joe Sexy - Part of Sin Inc tag team - Popularity B-
    • Valiant - Part of Valiant & Giedroyc tag team - Popularity B
    • Steven Parker - Part of The Hearbreakers tag team and Remember Tomorrow stable - Popularity C+
    • Robbie Retro - Popularity B-
    • Scout - Part of The New Wave tag team + Team Gilmore stable - Popularity B
    • Ace Newton - Leader of Four Kings stable - Popularity C+
    • Guide - Part of The New Wave tag team + Team Gilmore stable - Popularity B- / B

Midcard
    • Enforcer Roberts - Part of Last Chance tag team - Popularity C
    • Art Reed: The Pitbull - Popularity D+
    • Flex Garcia - Part of Last Chance tag team - Popularity C- / C
    • Blood Bonham - Part of Black Label Fight Club tag team - Popularity D+
    • Nevada Nuclear - Nuke - Popularity D / D+
    • Blood Elderberry - Part of Black Label Fight Club tag team - Popularity D+
    • Gino Montero - Part of Los Diablos tag team - Popularity D / D+
    • Jay Chord - Part of The Hearbreakers tag team and Remember Tomorrow stable - Popularity C-
    • Joss Thompson - Part of Badd Kopmany tag team - Popularity C

Lower Midcard
    • Andre Jones - Popularity E+
    • Swoop McCarthy - Popularity D / D+
    • Camerson Vessey - Part of Double Deuce tag team + Four Kings Stable - Popularity D-
    • Casey Valentine - Part of Double Deuce tag team + Four Kings Stable - Popularity D-

Opener
    • Greg Rayne - Popularity E+
    • Ash Campbell: Joker - Popularity E+

Enhancement Talent
    • Kirk Jameson - Popularity D-

Managers
    • Dawn the Cheerleader - Valiant + Giedroyc
    • Jessie - Angry Gilmore
    • Playboy Jake Sawyer - Four Kings
    • SM York - Nevada Nuclear
    • The Guru - None

Personalities
    • Dani Nevada - Personality
    • Jerry Eisen - Color Commentator
    • Peter Michaels - Announcer
    • Richard Eisen - General Manager
    SWF Legends Brand
    Main Event
    • Pistol Pete Hall - Popularity B+/A
    • Vengeance: The Harbinger - Popularity A*
    • Steve Frehley: The Dark Destroyer - Part of Mass Effect tag team - Popularity A*
    • Rocky Golden: The Golden Boy - Leader of the Golden Faction stable - Popularity A*
    • Christian Faith - Popularity A*
    • Eric Eisen: The Chosen One - Popularity A / A*
    • Brandon James: Big Money - Popularity A*
    • Bloodstone - Part of the Golden Faction stable - Popularity A
    • Chris Caufield - Popularity B+ / A
    • Troy Tornado - Popularity A / A*

Upper Midcard
    • Acid - Popularity C+
    • Enygma - Popularity C / C+
    • Runaway Train - Popularity C+/B-
    • Ray Diaz - Part of Mass Effect tag team - Popularity B- / B
    • Texas Pete: Lone Star Hammer - Part of the Golden Faction stable - Popularity C+ / B-
    • Bryan Holmes - Part of Watchmen tag team - Popularity C
    • JD Morgan - Part of Watchmen tag team - Popularity C

Midcard
    • Bart Biggz - Part of The Biggz Boyz tag team - Popularity C
    • Kurt Laramee - Popularity C
    • Brett Biggz - Part of The Biggz Boyz tag team - Popularity C
    • Kid Toma - Part of The Samoan Wildboyz tag team - Popularity C+
    • Elmo Benson - Part of High Concept tag team - Popularity C
    • Akima Brave - Part of The Samoan Wildboyz tag team - Popularity D+ /C-
    • Groucho Bling - Part of High Concept tag team - Popularity C
    • Paul Huntingdon - Part The Upper Class tag team - Popularity D+ / C-
    • Ota - Part The Tokyo Underground tag team - Popularity D+
    • Knuckles- Part of Death Row tag team - Popularity D+
    • Narato - Part The Tokyo Underground tag team - Popularity D+
    • Mainstream Hernandez - Part of Jett Stream tag team - Popularity D-
    • Shady K - Part of Death Row tag team - Popularity D

Lower Midcard
    • Erik Strong - Popularity E+
    • Jacob Jett - Part of Jett Stream tag team + Club N-R-G stable - Popularity D
    • John Greed - Part The Upper Class tag team - Popularity E+
    • CL Machine - Popularity E+

Opener
    • Remmy Skye - Popularity D-
    • Greg Rayne - Popularity E+
    • American Elemental - Popularity E+/D-
    • El Leon - Popularity E-

Enhancement Talent
    • x

Managers
    • BJ O'Neill - The Samoan Wildboyz
    • Emma Chase - Brandon James
    • Kristen Pearce - The Faction
    • Mr. Miwa - Ota

Personalities
    • Ana Garcia - Personality
    • Duane Fry - Announcer
    • Melanie Florence - Color Commentator
    • Eric Tyler - General Manager
    • Phil Vibert - Color Commentator / Creative Talent
    SWF Generations Brand
    Midcard
    • Steve Flash - Popularity C-
    • Tana - Part of Samoan Family stable - - Popularity D+

Managers
    • Mr. Jackson - Bodyguard for Sara Silver
    • RK Hayes - Bodyguard for Adrian Garcia

Personalities
    • Adrian Garcia - Color Commentator
    • Remmington Remus - Announcer
    • Sara Silver - Color Commentator

Status

SWF Tag Teams and Stables
    SWF Supreme Brand
    Tag Teams

• Badd Kompany - Joss Thompson + Sean Deeley: Experience D
    • Black Label Fight Club - Blood Elderberry + Blood Bonham: Experience B
    • Double Deuce - Cameron Vessey + Casey Valentine: Experience B-
    • Last Chance - Enforcer Roberts + Flex Garcia: Experience F+
    • Los Diablos - Antonio Marquez + Gino Montero: Experience F+
    • Sin Inc - Joe Sexy + John McClean: Experience F+
    • The Almighty Dollar - Rich Money + Remo: Experience D+
    • The Immortal Bumfholes - Randy Bumfhole + Zimmy Bumfhole: Experience A*
    • The Heartbreakers - Steven Parker + Jay Chord: Experience F+
    • The New Wave - Guide + Scout: Experience A*
    • Valiant & Giedroyc Valiant + Giedroyc: Experience D-
    • Warrior Faith - Christian Faith + Lobster Warrior: Experience F

Stables

• Four Kings: Ace Newton, Ash "Joker" Campbell, Cameron Vessey, Casey Valentine + Playboy Jake Sawyer
    • Remember Tomorrow: Marc DuBois, Steven Parker + Jay Chord
    • Team Gilmore: Angry Gilmore, Jessie, Guide + Scout

SWF Legends Brand
    Tag Teams

• Death Row - Knuckles + Shady K: Experience B+
    • High Concept - Elmo Benson + Groucho Bling: Experience A*
    • Jett Stream - Jacob Jett + Mainstream Hernandez: Experience F+
    • Mass Effect - Steve Frehely + Ray Diaz: Experience F+
    • Supreme Nightmare: Eric Eisen + Runaway Train: Experience F-
    • The Biggz Boyz - Bart Biggz + Brett Biggz: Experience A*
    • The Samoan Wildboyz - Akima Brave + Kid Toma: Experience B-
    • The Tokyo Underground - Ota + Narato: Experience C+
    • The Upper Class - John Greed + Paul Huntingdon: Experience F+
    • Warrior Faith - Christian Faith + Lobster Warrior: Experience F
    • Watchmen - Bryan Holmes + JD Morgan: Experience F

Stables

• The Golden Faction: Rocky Golden, Texas Pete, Bloodstone and Kristen Pearce
    • The Supreme Protectorate: Eric Eisen + Runaway Train

Status

SWF Shows

TV Shows
    SWF Supreme TV

A-Show

• Week 1 March 2008:
    • Week 2 March 2008:
    • Week 3 March 2008:
    • Week 4 March 2008:
    • Week 1 April 2008:
    • Week 2 April 2008:
    • Week 3 April 2008:
    • Week 4 April 2008:
    • Week 1 May 2008:
    • Week 2 May 2008:
    • Week 3 May 2008:
    • Week 4 May 2008:
    • Week 1 June 2008:
    • Week 2 June 2008:
    • Week 3 June 2008:
    • Week 4 June 2008:
    • Week 1 July 2008:
    • Week 2 July 2008:
    • Week 3 July 2008:
    • Week 4 July 2008:

SWF Generation Supreme

B-Show

• Week 1 March 2008:
    • Week 2 March 2008:
    • Week 3 March 2008:
    • Week 4 March 2008:
    • Week 1 April 2008:
    • Week 2 April 2008:
    • Week 3 April 2008:
    • Week 4 April 2008:
    • Week 1 May 2008:
    • Week 2 May 2008:
    • Week 3 May 2008:
    • Week 4 May 2008:
    • Week 1 June 2008:
    • Week 2 June 2008:
    • Week 3 June 2008:
    • Week 4 June 2008:
    • Week 1 July 2008:
    • Week 2 July 2008:
    • Week 3 July 2008:
    • Week 4 July 2008:

Pay Per Views

• Week 2 March 2008: SWF Awesome Impact 2008:
    • Week 2 April 2008: SWF The World is Watching 2008:
    • Week 2 May 2008: SWF Master of Puppets 2008:
    • Week 2 June 2008: SWF Times of Trouble 2008:
    • Week 2 July 2008: SWF The Supreme Challenge 28:
    • Week 2 August 2008: SWF Welcome to the Jungle 2008
    • Week 2 September 2008: SWF Under Control 2008
    • Week 2 October 2008: SWF Let the Games Begin 2008
    • Week 2 November 2008: SWF Break Like the Wind 2008
    • Week 2 December 2008: SWF Christmas Clash 2008

Status

Other Promotions
    Total Championship Wrestling
    World Rank: #2
    Prestige: D+
    Size: Cult
    Owner: Tommy Cornell
    Head Booker: Joel Bryant

TCW World Heavyweight Champion: Tommy Cornell
    TCW International Champion: Rick Law
    TCW World Tag Team Champions: The Machines
    TCW All Action Title: Harry Allen

Pride Glory Honor Wrestling
    World Rank: #3
    Prestige: B
    Size: National
    Owner: Eisaku Hoshino
    Head Booker: Eisaku Hoshino

PGHW Glory Crown: Mito Miwa
    PGHW Glory Tag Crown: Team Toronto
    PGHW Historical Japan: PRIDE Koiso
    PGHW Elite Series:
    PGHW Elite Tag Team Series:

Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods
    World Rank: #4
    Prestige: C+
    Owner: Kaneie Komine
    Head Booker: Haruki Kudo

Burning World Championship: Yasuhiko Taira
    Burning Junior Championship: Super Joshuya
    Burning World Tag Team: Sanda & Hamacho
    Burning Openweight Championship: Nissho Yuasa
    Burning Junior Tag Team: Kiraru & Scorpion
    BHOTWG Best of the Super Juniors:

Inspire Diversity Group International
    World Rank: #5
    Prestige: B-
    Owner: Tadiyuki Kikkawa
    Head Booker: Tasuku Iesada

King of Fighters: Takasu Iesada

Golden Canvas Grappling
    World Rank: #6
    Prestige: C-
    Owner: Hanshiro Furusawa
    Head Booker: Yoshifusa Maeda

GCG World Heavyweight: Toshiharu Hyobanshi
    GCG Openweight Championship: Fukusaburu Inao
    GCG World Heavyweight Tag Team: Takayuki 2000 & Murkami

World Level Wrestling
    World Rank: #7
    Prestige: D+
    Owner: Koji Kojima
    Head Booker: Haru Kurofuji

World Level Universal: Dark Eagle
    World Level Show Stealer: Silver Shark
    World Level Street Fighting: The Incredible KOYAMA
    World Level Tag Team: Power Trip WLW (Kurofuji & Kojima)
    World Level Intercontinental: Kazuma Narato

United States Pro Wrestling
    World Rank: #8
    Owner: Sam Strong
    Head Booker: Shane Sneer

USPW World: James Justice
    USPW Television: Freddie Datsun
    USPW World Tag Team: The Towers of Power
    USPW Women's: Alicia Strong

North of the Border Pro Wrestling
    World Rank: #9
    Prestige: B-
    Owner: Dan Stone
    Head Booker: Victoria Stone

NOTBPW Canadian: Johnny Bloodstone
    NOTBPW Tag Team: R.K. Hayes & John Maverick
    NOTBPW Women's: Grace Harper
    NOTBPW Ed Henson Memorial Tag Team Cup: Johnny Bloodstone & Dark Angel

Canadian Golden Combat
    World Rank: #10
    Owner: George DeColt
    Head Booker: Alex DeColt

CGC World: Dan DeLay
    CGC Canadian: Ryan Powell
    CGC World Tag Team: The Specialists

Status

The History Of The CornellVerse

North American Wrestling History

Wrestling started becoming a real profession in the US around the 1960s, which is generally known as the "Traditional Era". Prior to this it had been little more than a sideshow attraction, but the 60s saw the emergence of several regional territories, with wrestlers travelling from promotion to promotion. It was hard for wrestlers to become real superstars, as they rarely stayed in one place long enough to really become dominant, but some carved out good reputations for themselves and earned great livings - amongst these were men like Dan Stone and George DeColt, who would later go on to be successful promoters. The major territories at this time included Championship Wrestling from Boston (run by Gene Plumelli), Dick The Devastator's All-American Florida Wrestling, the Tri-State area's American Pro Wrestling Federation, California Pro Wrestling (headed by Preston Holt), and the Texas Wrestling League.

The end of this situation began in around 1978, when a relatively new promotion called Supreme Wrestling Federation, under the leadership of a young promoter called Richard Eisen, began building up an impressive roster by offering long-term contracts to some of the most popular wrestlers, which was unheard of in those days. By 1980, SWF was able to put on wrestling's first pay-per-view event, which marked the beginning of the "Supreme Era". SWF became the national powerhouse, with clever marketing and showmanship making the smaller promotions look amateurish. By the mid 80s, almost all the regional promotions had been put out of business, and SWF was almost entirely dominant, with their headline wrestlers like Sam Strong and Rip Chord being national superstars.

It was over 15 years before another promotion managed to rise and take on the might SWF, and this happened in December 1996 when Hollyweird Grappling Company debuted, kicking off the "Modern Era". With a millionaire funding them, HGC brought in Strong and Chord (who had both left SWF many years ago) on big money contracts to provide star power, and populated the rest of their roster with former SWF stars (like the Vessey Brothers) and the cream of the independent leagues (such as Ricky Dale Johnson and Liberty). The tactic worked, as they were able to go head-to-head with SWF almost immediately, and were accepted as a viable competitor by the fans. The most recent twist happened in late 2004, when HGC were taken over by famous wrestler Tommy Cornell, and renamed Total Championship Wrestling.

Canadian Wrestling History
    While the 1960s had several Canadian wrestlers making huge names for themselves in the US, the sport itself in Canada was virtually non-existent. A handful of regional promotions were in business, but they were lucky to draw a hundred people to a show, let alone the thousands that one of the red-hot American promotions could pull in for a big show.

In 1974, the legendary Ed "The Strangler" Henson had finally decided to retire. The Canadian grappler, who had been one of the biggest draws in the States throughout the 50s and 60s, returned to his home in Calgary and tried to capitalise on his popularity by opening the Canadian Wrestling Federation, the first big promotion in the country. After a slow start, the CWF picked up a lot of steam when Henson managed to persuade several other big name Canadian wrestlers to join him. Dan Stone, who was at the peak of his powers as perhaps the greatest heavyweight wrestler in the world, was the jewel in the crown, and the face of the company. Along with Stone, the CWF also welcomed George DeColt, Whipper Spencer Marks, and The Canadian Superstar (Jackson Andrews). All four of these new signings were already major names in the USA, and so provided proven drawing power as well as exceptional wrestling ability. The company went from strength to strength, and between 1975 and 1982 was incredibly popular, to the extent that even the juggernaut that was the Supreme Wrestling Federation in America didn't dare to try and crack the Canadian market.
    Business started to tail off after 1982, mainly because of a lack of expansion. While SWF couldn't break into America because of CWF's popularity, the reverse was also true, and the Canadian Wrestling Federation couldn't even consider running shows in the US. They did however continue to make a healthy profit, and their shows were universally praised for their quality. Dan Stone was a fine champion, and the Calgary Wolverines tag team, consisting of George DeColt and Whipper Spencer Marks, was rapidly gaining a reputation as being one of the finest tandems in history.

In 1985, having accomplished all that he possibly could, Dan Stone took the huge decision to leave and set up his own company, North Of The Border Pro Wrestling, buying out the Alberta and Toronto regional territories as a way to begin the new promotion. This was done with Ed Henson's blessing, as a thank you for all of Stone's hard work over the previous decade. The two companies existed in harmony, with a number of wrestlers moving between the companies from time to time as a way to keep their character fresh. Unfortunately, one wrestler who was unable to do that was George DeColt, who was forced into retirement in 1986 with an arm injury. He remained a key part of the CWF though, working as assistant booker to Henson.

Unfortunately, January 3rd 1989 was a black day for Canadian wrestling, as Ed Henson passed away after a short illness. This marked the end of the CWF, and was also the end for two of its biggest names, as both Spencer Marks and The Canadian Superstar decided to call time on their careers. George DeColt headed south, where he worked backstage for the Supreme Wrestling Federation. This proved an important point, as the year he spent with the SWF convinced DeColt that the "sports entertainment" package that Richard Eisen was promoting was the way forward. Returning to Canada, DeColt politely declined Dan Stone's offer of a position with NOTBPW, and instead founded Canadian Golden Combat, a promotion where his vision of "a Canadian SWF" could happen. The Canadian scene has remained like that, with the traditional values of NOTBPW going head-to-head with the entertainment aspects of CGC, ever since.

Japanese Wrestling History
    Wrestling had always been a major part of Japanese culture, with professionally-run promotions existing as far back as the 1850s. However, the first officially recognised period of recorded wrestling history is considered to be the "Giant Era", dating from the 1900s until 1933. This was a time when Giant Pro Wrestling was a massive success, with their wrestlers being national heroes. The promotion collapsed in 1933 though, under shady circumstances.

This led to the so-called "Dark Era", which lasted from GPW's demise until 1960. The public's respect for wrestling had been shattered by the way that GPW had gone out of business, and the complete lack of interest meant that no smaller promotion could even begin to think about trying to do business. There are no recorded wrestling events at all from this time period.

The 1960's saw the "Rebirth Era". Golden Canvas Grappling was formed in 1960, and began rebuilding the image of wrestling as a noble sport. Burning Hammer Of The Wrestling Gods followed in 1966, and also presented wrestling as serious and competitive. The public, with the memory of GPW's disgrace having faded, started to come back, and by the end of the decade, wrestling was once again enjoying public admiration.

This admiration was turned into massive popularity in the "Elemental Era" of the 1970s. GCG and BHOTWG ruled Japan, with both enjoying runs as the number one promotion, only for the other to come back. GCG had more big stars, with heavyweight wrestlers like Sadaharu Jimbo, Hanshiro Furusawa, and Yoshinaka Toshusai being very popular with fans, but BHOTWG had the biggest of them all, Master Kitozon, who had gone beyond simply being a wrestler and was now a genuine cultural icon in Japan. However, it was the emergence of Elemental, a masked lightweight wrestler, that gave BHOTWG the edge, as he became the first wrestler to make the leap from wrestling star to mainstream media superstar, and he was able to bring a whole new young audience to the product.

The "Burning Era" took place in the 80s, as BHOTWG (despite the death of their figurehead Master Kitozon) went from strength to strength, while GCG fell from grace, something that many blame on former star Hanshiro Furusawa, who took over the promotion. Some of his business decisions were questionable, and allowed BHOTWG to dominate them; many believe that if it was not for the emergence of Yoshifusa Maeda as a genuine superstar for GCG, the promotion would not have even have survived the decade. BHOTWG on the other hand were enjoying massive popularity, with homegrown talents like Hooded Kudo and Optimus becoming huge stars, while foreign imports like Dread and Sam Keith made big impacts on the Japanese fans.
    1996 was a year that saw a bizzare mirror effect between the two big wrestling countries, Japan and USA. From the 1980s onwards, both had been virtually dominated by one promotion. 1996 saw HGC debut in the US to provide some much needed competition, and the same thing also happened in Japan, as the "Pride Era" began; under the leadership of former GCG legend Sadaharu Jimbo, Pride Glory Honour Wrestling was formed, and BHOTWG found themselves with serious competition for the first time since GCG at the tail end of the 1970s. Boasting a pure style, PGHW had new stars like Koryusai Kitoaji, Hito Ichihara, Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu, and were soon being seen as a genuine contender.

The latest twist in the story happened in 2006. A controversial change in style by BHOTWG triggered a "rebellion", which saw some of their biggest names, led by their figurehead Tadiyuki Kikkawa, walk out to form their own company, INSPIRE. This left BHOTWG with a huge hole in their roster, and the balance of power in the industry shifted. As 2007 begins, many would now say that PGHW, with their incredible roster boasting some of the finest pure wrestlers in the world, like Mito Miwa, Nobuatsu Tatsuko, Yoshimi Mushashibo and Shuji Inukai, are now the number one promotion in Japan. Others would say that BHOTWG are clinging to the top spot, but are on the verge of being ousted. Either way, 2007 looks set to be an exciting time for Japanese wrestling fans.

Mexican Wrestling History
    The history of Mexican wrestling goes back a long time, although prior to the 1960s it mainly consisted of lots of small regional promotions (hence being called the "Regional Era") that were usually short-lived. Very few records exist of this time period, although it is certain that the OLLIE promotion was formed in January 1955.

The formation of OLLIE was a key moment, as a few years after their creation, they were rapidly expanding, and by 1965 they were so dominant that every single other promotion had to close, leaving them without any serious competition. This resulted in OLLIE having their choice of virtually every wrestler, and so they were able to assemble the finest roster in Mexican history. This period of dominance, which would last almost two decades, is affectionally known to fans as the "Golden Era", as it was a time of legendary wrestlers, huge crowds, and memorable matches.

In 1975, MPWF were formed. Numerous promotions had been created during the past 10 years to try and capitalise on the popularity of wrestling at the time, but none had managed to survive for more than a few months, as all the talent was already working for OLLIE. MPWF was different, as it was a promotion formed by four of OLLIE's major stars, who had left after a contract dispute. With that star power, MPWF were able to survive the tricky opening months, and through clever tactical moves were able to thrive. This led to the "Challenge Era", which would last from the early 80s until 1998. Throughout this time, MPWF were able to grow at a rapid rate, and were able to challenge OLLIE in direct competition, thanks largely to the emergence on their roster of Mexican legends Luis Montero and the original Mr. Lucha Manuel Prieto, and the young American star Sam Keith.

1998 saw the debut of a third promotion, SOTBPW, who made an instant impact by using their large financial resources to sign up Manuel Prieto from MPWF, as well as several OLLIE stars. Thus began the "Tri-Fed Era", as within a year, Mexico found itself with three large promotions competing against each other, with neither one having a noticeable advantage over the others.

Status

Random thought for the day.. what is worse - failing to achieve a dream, or getting close to that dream and realizing that the reality is nothing like what what you thought it was going to be?

That's a bit facetious of me. I can't really claim that being a professional wrestler was a life-long dream of mine. Or really even any sort of a long-term ambition. Like so many kids in Canada (and America), I grew up watching professional wrestling. As a kid, it was SWF - there was simply nothing else out there. As a teenager, it was SWF and HGC engaging in their heralded Tuesday Night Wars. But as cool as I always saw it, the thought was never truly "I want to do that". It was always moreso a "that would be cool" line of thinking. It was really the same way I looked at any number of potential careers - sports journalist, adventuring paleontologist, porn star, bio-chemist... I really only started to pursue this barely a year ago, when I realized that a career as a sports writing hack would always be there later.

So now I've made it. I'm a fully contracted employee of Supreme Wrestling Federation. Hired as a wrestler and contracted as a wrestler. But I'm not wrestling. The problem is that I'm the only one who has a problem with it.

How can you make someone else understand your own personal despair? This really should be one of those "sit back and enjoy the ride" situations. But I'm not enjoying it. It doesn't seem that fun. Really, what it is really starting to feel like is work. Is this what "living your dream" is supposed to be?

Thursday, Week 4, February, 2008

Status

The Fry Report Preview
    Every week on The Fry Report podcast will provide the latest information on everything Supreme. News, rumors, and interviews, all brought to you by the incomparable Duane Fry.

Preview for podcast available Monday, Week 1, March 2008.

"The debut of SWF Generation Supreme on C.A.N.N. Friday night at 10:30 has everyone at SWF excited. We'll have a few reasons why."

"We'll give the low-down on a few of the young new stars to watch in the coming months."

"The feud between Steve Frehley and Rich Money looks to be heating up. I talked to "The Dark Destroyer" the other day and you might be interested in what he had to say."

"Lobster Warrior seemed on top of the Supreme world when he split from the Underwater Union in fall 2007. But since being targeted by Big Money Incorporated, and especially by Remo, life has been rough for Lobby. He's been roughed up repeatedly by the self-proclaimed "Alpha Dogs of SWF". You have to think that Warrior might be missing the protection of his former stable right about now."

"There are Supreme Legends and then there is the Iron Man, Christian Faith. There have been few who have given more to Supreme than Faith. But the Iron Man once again finds himself the target of someone trying to make a name for themselves by ending his legendary career. Runaway Train couldn't do it. Vengeance couldn't do it. But that won't stop Brandon James from trying. We'll talk about why "Big Money" could succeed where others have failed."

"SWF World Heavyweight champion Jack Bruce has been working through a damaged back since the epic power bomb through the announcers table by Vengeance at the When Hell Freezes Over pay per view. The New Yorker has proven to be a fighting champion by continuing to defend his title despite the injury. We'll talk to Bruce about his life, his love of the title belt, and how intends to gain his own bit of vengeance on Vengeance."
    The Fry Report will be available on SWF.com or directly from iTunes.

Status

TEW.com Monthly Report: February 2008
    Monday, Week 1, March 2008

To help wrestling fans keep up with around the globe keep up with happenings around the rest of the globe, TEW.com offers a monthly report on all the happenings in wrestling.

United States

The Supreme Wrestling Federation hit the highest heights possible as the promotion reached Global size rating. Based on TEW.com's complex promotional popularity ranking formula SWF made the coveted jump from International status to Global. The jump was due to the promotions increase in popularity outside of America. It moves Eisen's promotion one step further ahead of rivals TCW, who remain mired at National ranking.

Both SWF and TCW added new shows, both to begin broadcasting in March. Total added TCW Wrestle Grand Prix, which will show on GNN Total Sports Monday nights. Somewhat less ambitious, SWF have added a B-show on C.A.N.N. that they have dubbed SWF Generation Supreme.

TCW stared outright disaster in the face when superstar Tommy Cornell picked up a knee injury mid-month. The TWC World Heavyweight champion showed perseverance by deciding to work through the injury, and shortly after put on a great title defense match against Sammy Bach. Losing their superstar for any length of time would be a nightmare for Total.

The only major titles of note to change hands were the SWF World Tag Team titles, with Sexual Aggression taking them from The Amazing Bumfholes at SWF's Nothing to Lose pay per view.

Sam Strong's United States Pro Wrestling continued its slow but steady growth, with the PPV agreement with American Option paying dividends.
    Canada
    North of the Border Pro Wrestling continues to churn out fantastic wrestling matches. Too bad most of the world barely notices. The final Championship Wrestling show for the Stone family was a great one, including a classic tag team main event as The Stone Siblings defeated Dark Angel and Johnny Bloodstone.
    Mexico
    The big news from Mexico was massively disappointing for Lucha Libre fans. The Montero family is one of the most respected in Mexican wrestling, of similar national popularity to the Stone's and DeColt's in Canada. The expectations for 18-year old Gino Montero were massive, with the youngster being hyped as nearly being the equal of his immortal father. When it was announced at the start of the month that young Gino would sign a pro contract, the world of Lucha Libre buzzed with the question of which Mexican promotion would land him. Instead, it was the ruthless Richard Eisen once again getting his man, signing the youngster to an exclusive contract with SWF.

More positive news for Mexican wrestling was the popular Pablo Rodriguez winning the Campéon de Mundo of South of the Border Pro Wrestling. The title was vacated by Champagne Lover chose to pursue global stardom by joining Supreme.
    Japan
    Japan's two biggest promotions were both idle, gearing up for tours in March. But there was plenty of drama despite that. When Sadaharu Jimbo decided to step down as owner of Pride Glory Honor Wrestling and retire from the business, it left a massive gap to fill. The speculation was rampant, but no one was quite prepared when favorite son Eisaku Hoshino returned to take the helm of PGHW. The two-time Glory Crown champion left the promotion in August of 2006 and had signed a short-term contract with Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods in January, which most believed would rule him out of taking the post. At this point, it appears Hoshino will honor his commitment to BHOTWG to prevent further straining the relationship between the two promotions.

Amidst the drama of the big promotions, World Level Wrestling quietly jumped from Regional to Cult size. The unique promotion consistently put on quality shows through its Sweet Pain Tour.

Status

Random thought of the day… how do you stick to your role when you don't know your role?

I'm still trying to get a handle on exactly what my role is here. It sure as hell doesn't seem to be as a wrestler, at least at the moment. Officially I'm a member of the Booking Committee. Yet somehow its clear to everyone that I'm more than that. No one will define just what, though. It is beginning to frustrate me.

Case in point - a couple of weeks ago, we had a full Booking Committee meeting. All of the Eisen's were present which is rare. The topic was one of importance - creating a storyline to utilize Phil Vibert. The genius that is Vibert had been in the employ of and on-screen for SWF for a month at that point. Doing color commentary and building a bit of tension between him and the Eisen clan. The only thing they really was the introduction angle in January, which was that the phantom SWF "board of directors" forced the hiring of Vibert to compensate for "booking mistakes" of the past year, while Richard Eisen opposed it. It was a nice little way to approach the introduction but they had zero beyond that. How in the hell do you hire someone as notable as Phil Vibert without having some clear idea of how he is going to be used?

The first hour of the meeting was kinda chaotic and wasteful as everyone just threw ideas around. I kept my mouth shut for the most, as did many of the younger guys who were part of the Committee. You try not to feel intimidated in situation… but how can you talk like your opinion is equal to that of Richard Eisen, Phil Vibert, or Christian Faith?

The discussion brought out two potential directions. The first was simply to do nothing. To keep Vibert as an on-screen personality only for the moment and try to work him into a storyline down the road. The second was to have him create a stable of former DaVE workers and have some of invasion/takeover/resurrection storyline. Chris Caufield and Eric Tyler had recently been brought in and were introduced by Vibert, though little had been done with that since. Someone mentioned that former Danger and Violence Extreme stars such as JD Morgan and Acid were on non-exclusive contracts and could easily be brought in as well. The addition of more workers with a hardcore background could add that bit of "edge" that Eisen has been talking about finding recently. Even current SWF guys with DaVE ties, such as Kurt Laramee and Skull DeBones… sorry, Vengeance…could get involved… though I doubt Vibert would have much to do with Laramee if he can help it. The idea of having such a stable feud with Big Money Incorporated seems to appeal to some in the meeting.

At this point, I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer. The stable idea seemed to be close to being accepted, and I needed to put my thoughts out there. So when there is a lapse in the discussion, I clear my throat and start with, "I'm not sure this is the best direction to go…"

Well, I've got everyone's attention now. No use holding back. My inability to keep my ideas to myself got me into this situation in the first place. Why change things now? I got an encouraging little nod from Vibert. I was a bit surprised that I managed to get my whole bit out without being stopped or interrupted.

I started by telling them why I didn't think this was the best approach. Not having a storyline for Vibert was a waste, especially given the potential there because of his history. The stable idea could work, and it could work well. I had two notable problems with it, though. One was that it was a rather predictable direction to run with, unless we threw a few swerves in there. But second, and more importantly, this kind of angle would really appeal to the mark fans who either watched DaVE or at least knew the history between Eisen and Vibert. To make that really work, to make it truly resound with that type of fan, it would mean involving one particular individual whom we couldn't - Nemesis. A sharp shake of the head from Eisen told me that I was right on that.... there would be no Supreme and Nemesis reunion tour.

"Okay," Eisen agreed. "I can see your point. But you better have a good idea if you're shooting this one down."

I did. Another deep breath and I laid out the idea I had when I first heard Vibert might join Supreme. It took awhile. I had to explain how the story would tie in with the whole Generation Supreme storyline. I had to explain the roles of certain workers. I even explained some possible future directions.

When I finished spewing forth my idea, no one reacted. No one said anything. I tried not to look around the conference room in desperation for some sign of acceptance, refusal, anything. After a few seconds of silence that lasted forever, Richard Eisen nodded. "Alright, we go with Avatar's idea," the Supreme supremo declared. "Put it together." And with that, he departed with sons.

So we went back to work, putting the storyline together. Some of the veteran workers who were part of the meeting left pretty quick after the boss. Then some of the younger guys. Pretty soon it was just a couple of us hammering out all the details. And just as it had happened a couple of times already, everyone seemed to be deferring to me. I really wasn't trying to take the lead role, but since we were basing everything off of my ideas, that seemed to keep happening.

What I would really like to ask Eisen - any of them - is why am I just another name on the bloated Creative Committee if I keep getting put in charge? If I'm taking the role of a booker, why am I not treated as one? Or paid as one? Of course, I absolutely lack the balls to put that question to anyone with the authority to provide a legitimate answer. Instead, I'll keep playing whatever role they give me and try to pretend I'm actually enjoying it all.

The lesson in all of this? Sometimes we need to resist the urge to take the back off the machine to see the clockworks inside. Who wants to make the magic disappear when we learn the basic engineering inside? I somehow always imagined the backstage booking of SWF to be some creative yet efficient machination of great wrestling minds, an assembly line of Sports Entertainment dreams. Instead, its a chaotic discord of undefined roles and conflicting directions. How this all ends up on TV looking good still eludes me. Its barely more organized than a tribe of monkeys throwing crap at the wall to see what will stick. Suddenly I'm one of those monkeys, feces in hand and wondering where to toss it... And not just one of them, but the alpha monkey...

Monday, Week 1, March, 2008

Status

Just quick note before I got too much posted... The Avatar segments are the backstage segments. Telling some of the backstory behind the promotion, the wrestlers, and so on.

The Fry Report segments are a preview of the coming TV shows or pay per views. For the record, Duane Fry is a very popular announcer for the SWF.

Status

SWF Supreme TV

Tuesday, Week 1, March 2008
    Louisiana Auditorium (South East) - 9,518

Announcers

Peter Michaels - Phil Vibert - Jerry Eisen

Big Money Incorporated - Emma Chase, Brandon James, Rich Money + Remo
    In-Ring Promo
    The music hits and the four members of Big Money Incorporated - Brandon James, Rich Money, and Remo, with manager Emma Chase - strut out to the ring. The crowd levels some serious heat.
    Emma Chase: You swine should learn to respect the Alpha Dogs of SWF!
    Rich Money: Big Money Incorporated is in the house!
    Emma Chase: Big Money Incorporated was formed under my guidance with one goal in mind - to dominate the Supreme Wrestling Federation. And we're on our way to that. We already have the North American title. We'll have the World Heavyweight belt soon enough. I guarantee it!
    Rich Money: We were going to leave Mr. Jack Bruce to Vengeance... but there's been a slight change of plans...
    The crowd pops at the mention of the SWF World Heavyweight champion. Chase looks cross. James and Remo both stand there, looking intense. Money taunts the crowd to pull more reaction.
    Emma Chase: We'll educate you a bit more on that later. But don't fret - we won't forget about taking care of everyone else.
    Brandon James: I'm going to end you, Faith!
    "Big Money" hands the mike back to Chase after saying all he's capable of. The crowd pops for Christian Faith's name as well.
    Rich Money: We're going to see what the "Iron Man" is really made of.
    Emma Chase: We have some fun planned for Faith. And for Frehely. And for Lobster Warrior. But we don't want to give too much away too early. So stay tuned.
    Grade: B+
    Jerry Eisen: If those four listened to my mother, they'd never have anything to say.
    Peter Michaels: Uh, what?
    Jerry Eisen: "If you don't have something nice to say..."
    Phil Vibert: What, are you six years old? I'm surprised you don't still call her mommy...

Eric Eisen vs Christian Faith
    Eric Eisen comes to the ring with Runaway Train. The crowd pops huge when Faith's music hits.
    An entertaining match, this one starts with the bigger Faith going on the offensive. His power attack leaves Eisen with few openings to attack. It takes some quick interference by Runaway Train to give Eisen the upper hand. Faith turns the tide again, only for Train to trip the four-time Heavyweight champion. When Train tries to get involved in the match a third time, the crafty Faith ensures that referee Shane Stones gets a glimpse and the ref has to call the match.
    Christian Faith Wins at 11:14 via Disqualification
    Peter Michaels: A great match to start the night.
    Phil Vibert: Could have been a great one. Too bad Train had to stick his nose in there.
    Jerry Eisen: Its a big nose, too.
    Peter Michaels: Indeed it is.
    Phil Vibert: You know, when I see a pair like Eric Eisen and Runaway Train together, I can't help thinking they are up to no good.

Randy Bumfhole vs Steven Parker

Bumfhole shows his athleticism and versatility as he takes control of the match from the start. He twice gets a two-count, but Parker gets back in with a well-timed eye-gouge and low-blow. In control of the match, Parker shows some impressive moves and gives Bumfhole little chance to recover. But he gets ****y, allowing Bumfhole to roll him into a small package for the pin and the win.
    Randy Bumfhole wins at 7:58 via Pinfall
    Grade: C+

Eric Eisen, Runaway Train, Enforcer Roberts, Chris Caufield + Eric Tyler
    Backstage Incident

Chris Caufield and Eric Tyler are backstage when the trio of Eisen, Train, and Roberts walk by. Eisen still looks annoyed at his earlier loss. They go back to Caufield and Tyler, taunting the duo. The two refuse react. Finally, an unheard insult from Roberts causes Tyler to shove the veteran. The trio begins to batter at the duo, who hold their own against the superior numbers. Backstage officials quickly arrive to break it up.
    Grade: B-

High Concept vs Sexual Aggression
    SWF World Tag Team Titles Match

Despite the teamwork and quickness of High Concept, the champions remain in control for most of the match. Angry Gilmore and Groucho Bling begin putting on a pretty solid display of technical wrestling, with Gilmore holding the upper hand. When the referee is distracted by Elmo Benson, Joe Sexy nails Bling with an illegal kick to the back of the head. Gilmore is left win an easy pin for the victory.

Sexual Aggression win at 11:17 via Pinfall
    Grade: C

Sexual Aggression + The Amazing Bumfholes
    In-Ring Challenge

After the tag champions finish defending the belts, the former champions come down to ringside. The Bumfhole brothers demand a chance to win their titles back. Sexy and Gilmore laugh off the challenge, telling the youngsters they have to earn it. The brothers are left fuming.

Zimmy Bumfhole vs Enygma vs Marc DuBois
    Ladder Match for the SWF Shooting Star Title

An entertaining but somewhat sloppy match. Bumfhole and DuBois hold a notable advantage over Enygma, with the former World Heavyweight champion mainly trying to keep the other pair away from the suspended title belt. Enygma gets close but it tossed off the ladder out of the ring by DuBois. He recovers just in time for the champion to do the same to Bumfhole, with Zimmy landing right on Enygma. That allows DuBois to snake up the ladder and grab his belt.
    Marc DuBois wins at 11:15 via Retrieval
    Peter Michaels: Enygma sure looks disappointed after that loss.
    Jerry Eisen: How can you tell under that mask?
    Phil Vibert: It's called body language, Jerry.
    Peter Michaels: Enygma seems determined to win himself another SWF championship and he seems to think the Shooting Star will the be easiest to get.
    Phil Vibert: That didn't seem so easy.
    Jerry Eisen: Maybe he should just make his old belt.
    Phil Vibert: Now there's an idea.

Darryl Devine + Vengeance
    Backstage Attack

Devine is wandering around backstage and obviously seems lost. He moves into a dark hallway. He looks up suddenly and sees a chrome mask staring down at him. Vengeance steps out of the shadows. Before Devine can say a word, a Vengeance's leather glove grabs him around the throat. Devine is battered and thrown around, left prone on the concrete as the monster Vengeance melts back into the shadows.

Phil Vibert: That Devine kid just had the hell beat out of him.
    Peter Michaels: He did nothing to deserve that! That Vengeance is an animal.
    Jerry Eisen: Hey, that Devine guy is supposed to wrestle next.
    Phil Vibert: I kinda doubt that now.
    Jerry Eisen: No, here see. He's on our... um... list thingy. That says "Devine", doesn't it?

Darryl Devine vs Runaway Train

Two security officials have to help carry Darryl Devine to the ring, as he can barely stand under his own power. The ref stars the match regardless.

Darryl Devine is virtually helpless in the ring. He topples over when barely touched. A defenseless opponent won't stop the Train, though. He hammers away at the youngster. It lasts only for a few minutes before the referee has seen enough and calls for the bell, saving Devine from further assault.
    Runaway Train wins at 3:14 via Referee Stoppage

Lobster Warrior, Emma Chase, Brandon James, Rich Money, and Remo
    Backstage Assault

Lobster Warrior is seen wandering backstage, cheerfully smiling at other workers. He hears a voice calling and moves to investigate. Rather than an undersea damsel in distress, he finds Emma Chase smirking at him. Before he can even ask a question, the trio of Brandon James, Rich Money, and Remo jump out. They surround him and proceed to attack. Against the three big men, Warrior is badly overmatched. Money and James stop when Warrior is beaten to his knees, but Remo continues until the Lobster Warrior is curled defenselessly into the fetal position.

Remo: You're done, Lobster! You're finished!

Big Money Incorporated wanders away, leaving Lobster Warrior unmoving.

Peter Michaels: Is that the kind of surprise that those four were talking about?
    Phil Vibert: I don't think Lobby is going to want another surprise.... ever!

Eric Tyler vs Rich Money
    SWF North American Title Match

A great match where both wrestlers gave their all. It took everything in Money's arsenal to fend off the tenacious Tyler. The 47-year old showed no signs of his age as he went blow-for-blow with the North American champ. A quick distraction from Emma Chase at ring side was enough to allow Money to land his Dollars from Heaven splash, following it up a Money in the Bank suplex to get the clean pin.
    Rich Money wins at 14:22 via Pinfall to Retain the North American Title
    Grade: A
    Peter Michaels: That was a match worthy of a couple of Supreme Legends!

Jack Bruce + Richard Eisen
    In Ring Promo

The SWF World Heavyweight champion comes to the ring wearing his belt, the crowd roaring their approval. He walks fine, but climbs into the ring with some apparent stiffness in his back.

Jack Bruce: Are you ready to get rocked, Louisiana?

The crowd roars back again.

Jack Bruce: I can feel it! I can feel it here tonight! You guys are hot! This is tight. It's been a great night already, but its going to get better. That's right - your champion and his belt, we're here tonight. And we're reading to put on a show for you. The kind of show you can't get anywhere else. Not even Hollywood can give you this kind of show. Because you know what time it is!

The crowd screams back "It's show time!"

Jack Bruce: That's right, it's show time! The kind of show that makes Broadway weak with jealousy. That brings the ladies to their knees. My kind of show, baby.

But before I give the Clean Fiend Mr. Squeeky a Back Alley Tour, I have a few words for a certain someone who I know is hiding somewhere in the back. DeBones, Vengeance, whatever you want to call yourself today. You think throwing me through a table is going to be enough to put me down? You think wrecking my back will help you? Wreck away, I've got another anyway. There's nothing you can do to take my belt away, to separate us. We're meant to be together, DeBones, just like you and that shiny mask you have. But let me tell something and you best remember this...

Bruce is cut off by the familiar music of Richard Eisen. The CEO of Supreme walks out to the top of the ramp, mike in hand.

Richard Eisen: Sorry to interrupt you there, Jack. But I thought I'd better step in before you say something you might regret.

Jack Bruce: I don't believe in regrets, Mr. Eisen.

Richard Eisen: I bet you don't. Listen, I know how you like to talk about being a fighting champion. And I guess you proved that when you wrestled with the bad back and all that. So I thought I would give you another chance to prove it tonight. Because you are wrestling Squeeky McClean. Just to make things interesting, I decided to make it a Three Way Match. You'll also be facing Enforcer Roberts.

Jack Bruce: Bring it on. The show don't care. Two, five, or a hundred!

Richard Eisen: Great, Jack. Oh, and one other thing I thought I'd mention. I did manage to arrange an opponent for you to face at Awesome Impact. Assuming you still have it, you will be putting my World Heavyweight title on the line against... Big Money Brandon James!

Jack Bruce: My belt, Mr. Eisen. You want it, you come try to take it from me.

Richard Eisen: That's okay, Bruce. You have fun tonight.

Jack Bruce: Let's start the show!
    Peter Michaels: Jack Bruce against Brandon James at Awesome Impact.
    Jerry Eisen: Dad sure made a great deal on that one.
    Phil Vibert: What do you mean, made a deal?
    Jerry Eisen: Uh, nothing. Oh, the match is about to start.

Squeeky McClean vs Enforcer Roberts vs Jack Bruce
    SWF World Heavyweight Title Match

The two challengers immediately go after the champion. They begin to work over Bruce's lower back. Every blow causes him pain. A series of shots from McClean brings Bruce to his knees. The champion powers back, taking both men down with a series of punches and knees. A vicious chop from Roberts slows him again, though. The teamwork between Roberts and McClean quickly breaks down as both men sense their opportunity. That gives the champion a chance to recover. He goes on the attack against McClean while Enforcer Roberts is recovering in the corner. A dropkick to his injured back sends Bruce out of the ring. McClean and Roberts go after each other again, with McClean coming close to getting the pin. Bruce intervenes in time, taking on both men for a short time. He puts McClean down with the New York Trio, then lands a New York Minute on Roberts to get the victory.

Jack Bruce wins at 17:33 via Pinfall to Retain the World Heavyweight Title

Jack Bruce + Vengeance
    In-Ring Confrontation

As Jack Bruce celebrates his epic title defense against McClean and Roberts, Vengeance suddenly appears in the ring. The pair go nose-to-nose in the center of the ring, staring each other down. There is burning hatred in both sets of eyes. Security and several workers rush the ring to keep them apart. Amidst the chaos, Bruce shouts at the big man, pointing at his belt and gesturing. Vengeance is silent behind his gleaming chrome mask.
    Grade: A*

Status

Random thought of the day... it's tough to see the big picture when you're stuck right in the middle of it.

Perspective. Everything makes more sense when you can see things with a bit of perspective. The problem is that it can be impossibly difficult to find that perspective when you're right in the middle of everything. How does one pull themselves out of a situation and try to look it with completely objectivity? Is that even possible? If you can do that, does it qualify as a super-power, right up there with super-strength, telekinesis, and Spidey-Sense? Wouldn't make for a very impressive superhero, though. Perspective-Man? Personal-Objectivity-Man? Weak.

I desperately need to find some perspective on my current circumstances. I've been handed a notable backstage role with the biggest wrestling promotion in the world. I've been given the kind of power that someone of my age and my experience is not supposed to have. There are a million wrestling fans across America who would willingly take several vicious chair shots from Eddie Peak for a chance like this. Less than a year ago, I probably would've been in line for that chance. So why am I not happy? Why are you being subjected to my ceaseless whining? Because I'm supposed to be in the ring taking bumps and body slams, not in the back planning out matches and promos for others.

I did not drop out of university and piss off my family to become a wrestling booker. If I had been given that option at the time, I may have been okay with it and still pursued it. But I didn't make the choices I did to become this. I was pursuing a different dream, and joining Supreme was not really achieving like I believed it would be. I guess I'm still pursuing that dream, then.

My family is trying to be supportive of me in the in the whole thing, but they just don't get it. To them, it seemed to come out of nowhere. Sure, I wrestled in high school and at UBC. They knew I watched and enjoyed professional wrestling, but going from enjoying something to pursuing a career in it can seem a big jump. Making them understand is complicated by the fact that they don't get to see me on TV every week. I try to make them understand that I'm on the opposite side of the continent "doing something important" with the biggest wrestling promotion in the world. But I'm a wrestler, so why am I not wrestling on TV? How can I answer that to them when I'm not sure I can justify it to myself?

Of course, when there are people like Phil Vibert and Pete Michaels telling you that you're doing a really good job, it makes you feel a bit better. Unfortunately, my family have no idea who they are, so that's pretty meaningless to them. I can quote the ratings numbers to them or tell them about the reviews the last show I booked got from fans online, but what does that really mean to them? All they know is that I dropped out of university, spent nearly a year in training, and now I'm on the opposite side of the continent doing something they just don't understand. I can't get them to see the big picture in all of this. Since it really doesn't make sense to me, how is it going to make sense to them?

It all comes back to perspective. I would give my kingdom, meager as it might be, for a bit of perspective right now. I'd even settle for some peace of mind... or is it piece of mind? Either one, if someone is willing to share...

Wednesday, Week 1, March 2008

Status

SWF Generation Supreme

Friday Week 1, March 2008
    Pennsylvania Park (Tri State) - 1,987

Announcers

Duane Fry - Melanie Florence

Duane Fry: I would like to welcome all our viewers to the first ever SWF Generation Supreme! My partner tonight is the lovely Melanie Florence.
    Melanie Florence: Well thank you, Duane.
    Duane Fry: I'll tell you, Mel - I've been with Supreme for a long time now and I've almost everything there is to see. And I have to say that this new show and this new generation of wrestlers has everyone at SWF very excited!
    Melanie Florence: The Supreme Legends of tomorrow today, love!
    Duane Fry: Exactly. Now let's get ready for it - it's going to be a barn-stormer!

Richard Eisen
    In-Ring Promo

The industrial beat of Richard Eisen's familiar entrance music draws some serious heat out of the crowd. The CEO of Supreme plays it up for the crowd as he stands at the top of the ramp and addresses them.

Richard Eisen: Sorry to have to bless you all with my presence this evening. But I just to come out tonight and say a few words. To mark the occasion, so to say. Because all of you here tonight and everyone watching at home needs to realize the weight of the moment that you are watching. Tonight kicks off a new era. Not just for the Supreme Wrestling Federation but for wrestling around the globe. Tonight we get to showcase the future. So take a moment, take a breath, and enjoy the ride.

The Biggz Boyz vs The Samoan Wildboyz

An interesting match between two face tag teams. The pair of duos seem to have fun with it, throwing themselves into some entertaining spots. There isn't great flow to the match, though. The crowd never really gets into it, either. Bart Biggz gets the pin.
    The Biggz Boys win at 6:21 via Pinfall
    Grade: C-

B.K.
    Video Promo

A cryptic promo with accompanying heavy music is shown on the Supreme Screen. It gives no information beyond the words on the screen.

Grade: D
    Melanie Florence: What the heck was that about?
    Duane Fry: I have no clue.
    Melanie Florence: What do you mean, you don't know? You said on that chat line you do that you know everything goes on in SWF!
    Duane Fry: Its a Podcast, and I do know almost everything. But I've heard naught about this one, Mel.
    Melanie Florence: That bit made no bloody sense! What does B.K. stand for anyway?
    Duane Fry: B.K.? I have no clue. Maybe they've signed someone new?
    Melanie Florence: B.K.? B.K.? Maybe its The Burger King? You think they've signed The Burger King, love?
    Duane Fry: It really wouldn't surprise me, Mel.

Greg Rayne vs Flex Garcia

The youngster Rayne is simply outmatched by the Canadian technician. Flex takes a bit more time than necessary as he controls the match from start to finish.
    Flex Garcia Wins at 5:14 via Submission
    Grade: C-

Ace Newton + Playboy Jake Sawyer
    In Ring Promo

Playboy Jake Sawyer: This show is supposed to be about showing off the best young talent in the world to you chavs. So I thought I had better introduce you all to the best young talent in the world. Trust me when I tell you that The Playboy knows class. And this kid is all class.
    Ace Newton: That's right, Jake. I am class. Head of the class. And if this show is supposed to show off the best d*mned talent in the business, then I guess that makes this my show. So you best all get used to this beautiful face... cuz you're going to see a lot of it!
    Playboy Jake Sawyer: Some of you ignorant fans may not recognize the Triple Threat just yet...
    Ace Newton: Yeah, I was a pretty big deal up in Canada. Now it's time to be a big d*mned deal here.
    Melanie Florence: The kid talks a good game.
    Duane Fry: He sure does.
    Melanie Florence: He won a match yet in the SWF?
    Duane Fry: No he hasn't.

Ace Newton vs Robbie Retro

Ace Newton takes it to Robbie from the start, rushing him and uses his athleticism to put the big man on his heels. But Robbie recovers, using his size and strength to power back. He overpowers Newton pretty quickly and gets the win via pinfall.
    Robbie Retro Wins at 5:14 via Pinfall
    Duane Fry: Not the best start for Newton on his show.

Elmo Benson + Groucho Bling + Darryl Devine
    Backstage Skit

Darryl Devine is in the locker room, still bruised from his beatings on Supreme TV. He looks glum when Elmo Benson and Groucho Bling pop up beside him.

Elmo Benson: Why so glum, kid?
    Darryl Devine: Oh, hey guys.
    Groucho Bling: Saw what happened the other night. That's rough.
    Elmo Benson: Looked like it hurt.
    Darryl Devine: Just my pride.
    Elmo Benson: At least you know you can take a beating... or two...
    Darryl Devine: That's important to know, I guess. Are things always like that around here?
    Groucho Bling: Not usually.
    Elmo Benson: Well, sometimes.
    Groucho Bling: Quite often, actually.
    Elmo Benson: You just have to learn to roll with the punches... and the kicks... and the stomps... and the axe-handles...
    Goucho Bling: It'll get better, kid. You just have to learn how to watch out for yourself.
    Elmo Benson: ...and the lariats...
    Darryl Devine: How am I supposed to learn that? Where I was, people didn't jump out of the shadows and beat the heck out you.
    Groucho Bling: I'm surprised they still say "heck" where you're from.
    Elmo Benson: ...and the pile drivers... and the moonsaults...
    Groucho Bling: But if you need someone to help, we can be that person.
    Darryl Devine: Uh, I suppose...
    Groucho Bling: Yeah, it'll be fun. We'll teach you everything we know. And some things we don't.
    Elmo Benson: ...and the scissor kicks...
    Darryl Devine: Well, I guess it's a good idea.
    Elmo Benson: ...and the power bombs...
    Darryl Devine: Uh, is he okay?
    Groucho Bling: Yeah, he'll peter out eventually.
    Elmo Benson: ...and the sunsets flips...

Melanie Florence: Are those two nutters for real?
    Duane Fry: I'm afraid they are.
    Melanie Florence: They seem a bit... off...
    Duane Fry: They're Canadian... I don't think they know any better...

Jones + Huntingdon vs High Concept

The ad-hoc team of Andre Jones and Paul Huntingdon never really has a chance. They work together without any real precision, where as the Canadian duo of Bling and Benson are a lightweight machine. They move quickly, transition at pace, and overwhelm their opposition. Bling gets the three-count victory.
    High Concept wins at 7:54 via Pinfall
    Melanie Florence: Well, at least the nutters can wrestler...

Darryl Devine vs Steven Parker

The two youngsters put on a solid if unspectacular match. Devine takes the upper hand after a slow start on his part, but some questionable tactics from Parker put him back in charge and he uses it to get the win.
    Steven Parker Wins at 6:45 via Pinfall

Eric Eisen vs Gino Montero

Two famous sons face off. Montero stuns Eisen right off the start as he flies at the former North American champion, displaying furious quickness and a varied attack. All Eisen can manage is a few cheap shots to slow down the youngster, but he never really gains control of the match until Montero misses a springboard legdrop and rolls out of the ring, where he is assaulted by Runaway Train. The ref conveniently misses it and Eisen capitalizes to get the win. He celebrates a bit overmuch.
    Eric Eisen Wins at 5:35 via Submission
    Melanie Florence: That Eisen kid is a bit of a ponce, Duane.
    Duane Fry: I can't respond to that, Mel.
    Melanie Florence: That's a yes, love.

Lobster Warrior vs Kurt Laramee

A contrast of styles as Laramee tries to turn it into a brawl but Lobster Warrior keeps it a technical grappling match. After Warrior tries to wear down Laramee with a transitional series of holds, but "The King of the Streets" eventually breaks free and succeeds in turning the match into a fistfight. Warrior still holds the edge, and after brawling, he hits a series of aerial moves which stun Laramee. Warrior gets the submission with a Stepover Toehold Sleeper.
    Lobster Warrior Wins at 9:55 via Submission
    Melanie Florence: I like this DuBois kid. But Marquez... oh my, he's quite the hench.
    Duane Fry: I don't what that means, Mel, but you seem excited, so I'll assume it's a good thing.

Antonio Marquez vs Marc DuBois
    SWF Shooting Star Title Match

An entertaining match between two talented wrestlers, who don't quite have the overness to get the crowd fully into the match. They work well together and tell a good story in the ring. The match offers a bit of everything - brawling, mat wrestling, and plenty of aerial attacks. Both wrestles got some pops from the crowd, Marquez when he hit a Swinging Rope Blast and DuBois when he lands a perfect moonsault. Other than the big moves, the crowd stays tame and it cools of the match itself. DuBois gets the better of the match and manages a close win.
    Marc DuBois wins at 11:41 via Pinfall

Status

Random thought of the day... pride may be a sin. but like many of t hose other sins, it feels pretty good.

The first show of SWF Generation Supreme came off pretty well. Okay, it was just average for the most part. But it still came off. The ratings were... well, no one expects great ratings for a B-show. We're not parading main eventers like we do on Supreme TV. It's all about the young guys, and they delivered for the most part.

It's important to me since its my baby. It's all my idea - the whole Generation Supreme storyline is my idea. It was Richard Eisen who decided to sign all that young talent back in January, but he had no idea how to properly integrate those new workers into Supreme. Nobody else did, either. The Supreme Generation storyline, the new TV show to showcase these young guys, the methods that will be used to gradually introduce the talent from Rhode Island Pro Wrestling. All my ideas. If that comes across as a bit self-serving and self-aggrandizing on my part, so be it.

Of course, ideas are great, but it has to work on-screen and in the ring. The first litmus test was last night, with the very first show of Generation Supreme. And it worked enough to prove that it can work. There are plenty of places this could still fail. Still plenty of ways for me to lose the faith of Richard Eisen and the Supreme cadre. though I'm not quite certain how I managed to win that trust in the first place.

Therein lies my problem. How does one keep what was obtained in a manner they still don't completely understand?

Finally getting to see my Generation Supreme ideas get on their air gave me a bit of perspective. I didn't even have to put on my Personal-Objectivity-Man costume. Maybe I'll enjoy this ride after all.

Wednesday, Week 1, March 2008

Status

The Fry Report Preview
    Every week on The Fry Report podcast will provide the latest information on everything Supreme. News, rumors, and interviews, all brought to you by the incomparable Duane Fry.

Preview for podcast available Monday, Week 2, March 2008

"So who looked like a future star on Generation Supreme? We'll take about the debut show."

"There's a lot people don't know or understand about Enygma. But it seems like no one is quite sure why he has targeted Marc DuBois and the Shooting Star title. I got a few quotes from the former Heavyweight champion about why he's desperate to win another SWF title."

"The main event for SWF Awesome Impact was announced on Supreme TV - Jack Bruce defending his SWF World Heavyweight championship against the power powerhouse "Big Money" Brand James. But we will also discuss the secondary main event, a Supreme Threefold Threat Match™ that will decide the Number One Contender. It will feature Steve Frehley... Remo... and Eric Eisen...? I have a few things to say about that one."

"Both Rich Money and Christian Faith could make pretty arguments to be included in that Number One Contender Supreme Threefold Threat Match™. Instead, they will face each other, with Money's North American title on the line. We'll talk about that intriguing match."

"The big man Vengeance doesn't say much, but he might have something to say about being left out of the Number One Contender match. Regardless, it doesn't seem like he's done with Jack Bruce just yet. We'll take about his likely opponent at the Pay Per View."

"The are rumors that one Supreme Legend™ might be considering retirement in the near future. We'll discuss who that might be... That's what they call a teaser... Tune in!"
    The Fry Report will be available on SWF.com or directly from iTunes.

Status

Random thought of the day... does being the superior to someone you are clearly inferior to make you a walking contradiction?

If you met Larry Wood under normal circumstances, most people would never guess he was a professional wrestler at all. There are clues - he's not only a big guy but obviously in good shape, and his mug bears more than a few scars. Most professional wrestlers, like many professional athletes, often bear an aura of confidence and intensity that is noticeable. I have even found that many wrestlers are natural fighters and walk around with the potential for an eruption of violence trailing them around like a bad stink. Larry doesn't have any of that. He's articulate, intelligent, and well-spoken. The typical first impression of Larry is that of a mild-mannered bookish teddy bear.

Uh, have you ever seen this guy wrestle?

I recall with vivid clarity the first time I ever saw Mr. Wood in the ring. It was an on-line clip a buddy emailed me a few years ago. Wood was wrestling in some Japanese promotion and both guys were bloody, but Wood was opening up a massive wound in his opponents forehead using a plastic toy Godzilla. It was one of the bloodiest and most vicious moments I've ever seen in wrestling, and yet hilarious at the same time. Another match I recall, he used repeated elbows to turn an opponents face to hamburger. I mean, to the point the guy probably never looked quite the same.

So knowing that Larry Wood isn't a mild-mannered bookish teddy bear but one of the most intense and hardcore wrestlers in the world, it feels a bit odd to stand next to him. To have him act deferential to me and call me "sir" feels more than odd. Its just wrong.

The pair of us were standing on an observation deck above the busy training center floor. The Eisen Center is ultra-modern and has been open less than a year. It is the SWF's main training facility and home to RIPW at the same time. The main training room is massive and impressive, but it tickled my nostrils with a curious combination new building smell and the permeating stink of sweat.

"That kid from the island looks good, sir," Larry told me.

"We expected that. And please, juts call me Avatar."

"Okay Avatar sir."

I shook my head and wrote it off to him being Canadian. Did I come across as that over-polite, too?

There were more than two dozen men down on the floor, engaged in various types of training. A couple were trainers, but most were RIPW guys in training. There was a group in one of the classrooms as well. Supreme currently had a lot of guys in development.

"Those big guys are raw, but they definitely have some potential."

"Still need some time?"

"I would say so, sir," Larry nodded.

The Eisen Center facility was not far outside of Providence, less than a half hour drive from the Supreme One building. Yet the corporate headquarters was a world away from the training facility at the same time. The Eisen's had sent me to check up on the guys in development. And the ladies, too, I guess. Wood and everyone else was treated me with a great deal of respect since they knew who sent me. Respect I had never earned and probably didn't deserve.

"So who's ready to make the jump?" I asked the Head Trainer point blank.

"Well, sir, I had a few thoughts on that..."

We continued to talk about who was ready and who wasn't while still watching the activity below. I spotted Steve Flash working with a tag team that we had great hopes for. Louis Figo Manico was barking orders in a combination of English and Spanish at another group of trainees, who somehow understood what he wanted from them.

I'm not quite sure what sequence of events or aligning of the stars allowed Richard Eisen to land guys like these to work as trainers. Manico, I understand, since he was unemployed. But Flash and Wood are both great workers in their own regards and very valuable to the right kind of promotions. They left notable positions in other promotions to come to Rhode Island. They both work RIPW shows every month, but they're here to work as trainers primarily and everyone knows that. Both seem happy with it, though. I guess they just hit that point in their careers...? Its great that we have trainers of this caliber, but what makes me feel so unsure about the whole situation is having great wrestlers like these guys acting as if I'm the big boss.

Throughout our discussion of the trainees, I came to understand why Wood had been made the Head Trainer. The big man was calculated and thorough in his analysis of each trainee. Afterward, he asked me a question that threw me off a little. Before he asked it, Wood stared at me with calculating, assessing eyes. I was afraid for a second he would realize that in no way was I his superior or even his equal. When he spoke, he asked, "Is it true that this whole Generation thing is your idea?"

Simple question but not such a simple answer. In a basic sense, yes, its my idea. My concept and my plan, but its not likely the whole deal is all me at this point. But I give the simple answer. "Yes."

Wood considers this for a second, then says, "Just want to say, great work, Mr. Avatar. All the guys here love you for it."

Huh? What? Am I really some kind of hero to all these young guys because of an idea that I managed to spew out at the right time and place? I just nodded at Wood and muttered a thanks, my poor brain reeling from the idea.

This whole situation feels too surreal. Am I just dreaming all of this? I shouldn't be up on the balcony with the Head Trainer trying to assess these guys. I should be down on the floor, learning with them. I'm one of them, not someone they should look up to or adulate. Am I the only one who sees how wrong this all is? Perversely, I think I am.

Monday, Week 1, March, 2008

Status

SWF Supreme TV

Tuesday, Week 2, March 2008
    Virginia Park Fields (Mid Atlantic) - 9,000

Announcers

Peter Michaels - Phil Vibert - Jerry Eisen

Jack Bruce + Emma Chase
    In Ring Promo

The crowd reacts huge to Jack Bruce' entrance music. The SWF champion emerges from the smoke at the top of the ramp. After smiling and posing to get further reaction from the crowd, he scurries down to the ring in a hurry.

Jack Bruce: I got a question for you, Virginia. Do you know what time it is?

The crowd roars back at the champion, "It's show time!"

Jack Bruce: That's right! It's show time! Because I'm the man with the crown. The man who won't let you frown and will never let you down. I'm here with my beautiful World Heavyweight belt. And I here to remind all you fans and everyone in the back that no one is taking my belt away. I've gone through heaven and hell for us to be together. And there isn't any one - not Brandon James and not DeBones - that can tear us apart.

Bruce pauses dramatically, taking the belt from around his waste and laying it in the middle of the ring. He pauses to admire it.

Jack Bruce: You know, when you've done everything it takes to climb to the very top of the mountain, you see things a bit different. It's a different perspective, you know? You realize that everyone is gunning for you. You're the target. You have what everyone is trying to take. What everyone wants. But you know? Bring it on! Show Time isn't afraid. The Long Island Angel isn't afraid. And anyone thinking they will get my belt away from...

Bruce trails off as music cues the entrance of someone... Emma Chase appears at the top of the ramp. She coolly looks over Bruce and the crowd. In the ring, Bruce slowly grabs his title off the mat and flips it over his shoulder.

Emma Chase: Sorry to interrupt you, Mr. Champion. But you seemed to be getting yourself a bit worked up in there. You aren't so young any more, Jack, and I wouldn't want you wearing yourself out before your match with Big Money on Thursday.

Jack Bruce: I don't know if you're in any position to be calling anyone old, Emma.

Emma Chase: Good point, champ. Very noble of you to point that out. Thank you. But I am serious. You have a massive challenge in front of you in two days. We all know how much you covet that title belt, and how much you must be worried about Vengeance. But failing to take Brandon serious will be your downfall.

Jack Bruce: I'm not overlooking anyone, Emma. I know how much work you had to put in with Eisen to convince him to give your puppet this shot. But you wasted your time. The Long Island Angel will be the only one making an awesome impact!

Emma Chase: Everyone falls eventually, Jack. I'm going to make sure I'm there to see it when you do. In the meantime, I know you need to find someplace private so you can caress your title belt... while its still yours.

Chase disappears backstage as abruptly as she appeared.

Jack Bruce: Isn't she just a peach? Now, let's start the show!
    Peter Michaels: I sure hope the champ isn't underestimating Brandon James.
    Phil Vibert: I think Bruce is more wily than people give him credit for.
    Jerry Eisen: I just don't get why they call him the Long Island Angel.
    Phil Vibert: Thankfully it isn't our job to educate your ignorant mind, Jerry.

Marc DuBois vs Christian Faith
    -
    A fantastic match that has the crowd enthralled for the moment the bell rings. Faith and DuBois put on a memorable show, with the youngster going on the attack early and using his speed to nullify Faith's size advantage. The Canadian comes close to getting the upset win more than once, but as he has so many times before, Faith refuses to lose. He finishes DuBois with a Leap of Faith, after the Faith Hammer.
    Christian Faith Wins at 12:53 via Pinfall
    Peter Michaels:: My lord, but those two men can put on a show.
    Phil Vibert: I really thought that DuBois might get the win there.
    Peter Michaels: He was awfully close, Phil.
    Jerry Eisen: So, uh, did Faith just win the Shooting Star title?

Angry Gilmore vs Zimmy Bumfhole
    -
    Another solid and entertaining match. The elder Bumfhole brother provides a solid challenge to Gilmore and the match is quite even for the most part. Neither man can gain a real edge. It takes subtle interference from Gilmore's tag team partner Joe Sexy to allow Gilmore to take control. He gets the submission just before Zimmy's brother Randy arrives at ringside. Angry doesn't look too happy at his partner's interference, but Randy Bumfhole is downright irate.
    Angry Gilmore Wins at 8:43 via Submission

Randy Bumfhole vs Rich Money
    SWF North American Title Match

-
    Shortly after failing to get to ringside in time to help his brother, Randy Bumfhole finds himself facing Rich Money for the North American title. The 23-year old attacks the champion and pushes the pace, but Money is smart enough to slide out of the ring repeatedly to slow the pace and catch his breath. Distraction from Emma Chase on the outside gives the champ the edge, but Zimmy Bumfhole soon shows up ringside to keep things even. But his presence isn't enough to prevent Money from hitting a Money from Heaven on Randy to get the pinfall.
    Rich Money Wins at 13:32 via Pinfall

Vengeance + Richard Eisen
    Backstage Segment

Richard Eisen is walking through the backstage area. He walks past several faceless employees, who seem to wilt under his gaze. As he passes by a dark hallway, something stirs.

Vengeance: Melancholy, sadness, and sorrow, Vengeance has been left behind...
    Richard Eisen: Oh, you startled me there, DeBones. Are you talking about Awesome Impact? Look, I know you're probably not happy about that. But we had to give James a chance against Bruce. Emma Chase and I think he has a real shot of getting the belt off of Bruce.
    Vengeance: Not his belt to take.
    Richard Eisen: Yes yes, I know how much you want that belt. But you had your chance. Twice. If James can't get it done, you might get another chance.
    Vengeance: Might? The boss promised...
    Richard Eisen: Whatever I promised was then and this is now. Things change, DeBones. You know that. Besides which, this is hardly the place to be discussing promises that were given in private.
    Vengeance: There is no more DeBones.
    Richard Eisen: Right, Vengeance now. I get it. But look, whatever you want to call yourself, you can't just go around beating the hell out of people backstage like you did last week.
    Vengeance: Once Vengeance has been set forth upon a path, none can forestall what the Harbinger brings. .

Vengeance fades back into the darkness. Richard Eisen walks away, muttering about crazy employees.
    Phil Vibert: Why do I get the feeling that you daddy has been up to no good, Jerry?
    Jerry Eisen: Daddy does that sometimes...

Steve Frehley vs Steven Parker
    -
    Frehley gets a huge pop from the crowd, with relative newcomer Parker getting a fair amount of reaction as well.

Bigger, stronger, and more experienced, Frehley takes the advantage early and controls the match. The only way Parker can take advantage of his edge in athleticism is to cheat, and he doesn't hesitate to do so. But a few eye rakes and low blows only slow The Dark Destroy a bit as he goes on to get the win.
    Steve Frehley Wins at 8:11 via Pinfall

Runaway Train vs Lobster Warrior
    -
    Lobster Warriors gets a huge pop when his goofy entrance music hits the sound system.

The Lobster Warrior puts his technical wrestling abilities on display as he more than matches up with the outright power of the former Heavyweight champion. Runaway Train can never take the advantage for more than a few moments before Warrior finds a way to steal it back. As the bigger Train begins to tire, it looks like Lobby might take a notable win. But things go sour for him when Money and Brandon James hit the ring and begin to attack the crustacean.
    Lobster Warrior Wins at 10:15 via Disqualification
    Grade: B

Lobster Warrior, Remo, Brandon James + Runaway Train
    In-Ring Attack

After the ref has rung the bell, Remo and James continue to batter away at Lobster Warrior. After watching for a few moments, Runaway Train joins in and adds to the beatdown. The crowd waits for someone to rescue Lobby, but no one appears to make the rescue. Remo grabs a mike.

Remo: No one here to save you, Lobster. Maybe you didn't get the message in your kingdom under the sea, but you're done here. Done!
    Peter Michaels: Where the hell was someone to help Lobster Warrior out?
    Phil Vibert: I think everyone is a bit afraid to stand up to Big Money Incorporated right now.
    Jerry Eisen: That wasn't nice at all.

The Supreme Dream vs Valiant + Giedroyc

The duo of Valiant and Giedroyc actually look the better of the two tag teams. They work well together, isolating the smaller Eisen. It takes some heavy-handed work outside the ring from Runaway Train to give the advantage back to The Supreme Dream and allow Enforcer Roberts to get the pin.
    The Supreme Dream Win at 9:15 via Pinfall

Big Money Incorporated - Emma Chase, Brandon James, Rich Money + Remo
    In-Ring Promo

The crowd flings endless hate at the quartet as they come down to the ring. Emma Chase and Rich Money are particularly effective at egging the crowd on.

Emma Chase: I know you all enjoyed the little show Remo and Brandon put on with Lobby earlier. Don't worry - there is plenty more of that to come. Like any proper business, Big Money Incorporated has a very specific business plan. And everyone in the back is just hoping their name isn't on it.
    Remo: Make it easy on yourself, Lobster, and just walk away. Follow your friends and leave.
    Emma Chase: Now we found out yesterday that Rich here is facing Christian Faith at Awesome Impact. And we couldn't be happier.
    Rich Money: I relish the chance to prove myself against someone like Christian Faith. The man is a legend. A fading, dying legend. And its going to be epic to notch a win over him before we retire the old man.
    Emma Chase: Awesome Impact is going to be quite the momentum occasion for Big Money Incorporated. Not only does Remo get to win the Number One Contender Supreme Threefold Threat Match, but Brandon here gets to take Jack Bruce's title.
    Brandon James: Bruce, you're mine on Thursday.
    Rich Money: What makes us so great is that anyone can talk a good game. But we can back it up. Thursday, at Awesome Impact, we will.
    Peter Michaels: The thought of those four holding more titles is sickening.
    Phil Vibert: Someone needs to have the balls to stand up to them.
    Jerry Eisen: My dad has the balls.
    Phil Vibert: I'm pretty sure your dad is helping them.
    Jerry Eisen: Oh yeah.

Enygma vs Vengeance
    -
    Vengeance gets monstrous heat from the crowd. He actually attempts to take his chain into the ring, until the referee tentatively takes it away from him.

The former World Heavyweight champion looks timid as he faces up to the monster Vengeance. Enygma's first attempts at attack are relatively ineffective. The big man tires of it and begins to batter Enygma around. It looks like it could be over quick, but Enygma slows his opponent with a vicious kick to the knee. He actually takes control of the match momentarily as he continues to attack Vengeance's leg. But the man former known as Skull DeBones tires of the game soon enough. Enygma manages to stretch the match out by using his quickness to essentially play keep-away. But he puts Enygma down for the count after a particularly nasty Avenging Leap.

Vengeance Wins at 14:12 via Pinfall
    Grade: B

Jack Bruce + Vengeance
    In-Ring Confrontation

The crowd roars when Jack Bruce's music plays. The champion races down to the ring, followed by a legion of SWF security officials. Vengeance grabs his chain and readies for another battle, as Engyma clears out in a hurry. The two men are kept apart by security officials in the ring, much like last week. But this time, it's Jack Bruce who is the aggressor. Emma Chase is seen at the top of the ramp, smirking at what is going on in the ring.
    Peter Michaels: Those are two men who just do not like each other.
    Phil Vibert: The Chase woman had a point. It does seem like Bruce is focusing more on Vengeance than on his next opponent.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information