Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at 56

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at 56

2nd from left in white coat.

NEW YORK (Billboard) – Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist Billy Powell died Wednesday morning (January 28) at his home in Orange Park, Fla. He was 56.

According to the Associated Press, Powell called 911 around 12:55 a.m., saying he was having trouble breathing. Rescue crews arrived at the home, but Powell was pronounced dead just before 2 a.m.

Orange Park Police Lt. Mark Cornett told the AP that Powell had missed an appointment yesterday for a cardiac evaluation.

Powell, whose fluid piano runs spiced such classic Skynyrd songs as "Freebird," "Call Me the Breeze" and "Sweet Home Alabama," and founding guitarist Gary Rossington were the only two original members of the Southern rock band to survive the 1977 plane crash that killed singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and backup vocalist Cassie Gaines.

Since then, guitarist Allen Collins and bassist Leon Wilkeson have also died; former drummer Artimus Pyle survived the crash but no longer tours with the band, which re-formed in 1987 and still is a powerful concert draw.

Skynyrd lore has it that Powell, a former roadie for the band in its earliest incarnations, was asked to join by Van Zant when the latter heard Powell's keyboard take on "Freebird."

According to the band's publicist, as-yet-unspecified shows will be canceled as a result of Powell's death. Skynyrd was slated to perform Friday (January 30) in Kinder, La., and the following day in Biloxi, Miss. A European tour was set to begin May 20 in Finland.
    RIP
    Last edited by Necro; 01-29-2009 at 04:45 AM.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at 56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTZkIInYNw

Great piano solo @ 2:40 of this clip.

Glad he was alive to be inducted with Skynyrd.

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at 56

RIP, too bad, such a young age.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Thread Information