Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wildcard Rule

Status
      Country                    United States

The Wildcard Rule

Is it not absolutely the worst?

Just kidding. Kinda. Since introducing the Wildcard Rule, it seems pretty unanimous among the members here that the product has only gotten worse. I mean, there have been some not-so-bad aspects. For example, Alexa Bliss challenging Bayley for the SD Women's Title sounds like it could be a decent match. There's been a match or two on the weekly shows that were good, which wouldn't be possible without the rule. But there's a few glaring problems that have come along with it as well.

For one thing, it's virtually the same Wildcards every week. Roman Reigns, Shane McMahon, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, The IIconics all seem to be jumping brands each week. And that pretty much squeezes out the lower card of both shows because they're being bucked for the more prominent guys who jump over as Wildcards. Robert Roode and Mojo Rawley come to mind on the red brand. Two guys who recently debuted new personas but have had absolutely no follow through because they don't have time for them on the show, unless they're in a 24/7 Title segment. Last week on Smackdown, there was no Finn Balor and he's the damn Intercontinental Champion. Another issue - the rules are so unclear. They have this set number of Wildcards that can jump over each week. I think it was four the last I heard. But I'm pretty sure there's more than four every week. And on top of that, there's no explanation for who gets chosen to jump over, or if someone can just show up, or if there's some kind of arbitration each week to decide who will be Wildcards. It's just this thrown together slop that is seemingly meant to boost ratings but it sure doesn't seem to have been effective.

Now putting that aside, there is some potential with the rule. As is usually the case with modern WWE, my main complaint is with the execution. I would have no problem with the Wildcard rule if it meant more unexpected or rare matches, or if it helped some guys who need to get on air to actually get on air. But, you know, we can't have nice things.

So this thread is just to post your thoughts on the Wildcard rule. How do you feel about this rule? Would you keep it, do away with it completely, or maybe just tweak it? Do you think it's too soon to make a call?

Also feel free to continue discussing the Wildcard Rule here as weeks go by.

Status

Re: The Wildcard Rule

In theory it's a really cool idea that used with restraint could lead to rare matches and big surprises.

In execution it's obviously just an attempt to get Roman Reigns on both shows as much as possible and drag them down with samey booking.

It's not THE reason I've stopped watching, but it's a big factor. It's emblematic of some of the many issues this company has with putting together a compelling product.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

It's a stupid idea imo, that needs to go away. It doesn't really do much for the ratings and the brand split feels as irrelevant as it did in 2012.

#WC4Horsemen

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

It’s complete shit. Keeping more people off tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Squash Fodder

Status

I'm 4 weeks behind atm with MITB neing the next show I have to watch (I only watch Raw/SD and PPV's).

Frankly I've found the WWE to be the most confusing mess it has ever been since the start of the year, and this wildcard rule has only made it even worse.

They had all these NXT callups turning up and being on both shows, then they had the Superstar Shake up where multiple people got traded away but then back to their original brand which meant appearing on both shows for a week or two, and then they added in the wildcard erule at the same time.

Throw in the fact you also have Women's Tag Champs who appear on both shows and I'm genuinely not sure who is on what brand at this current point in time.

They should have just ended the brand split rather than what they currently have because, as RED says, the split is pretty meaningless at this point.

As Booty Love alludes to, it means even less screen time for mid card and lower talent, which I feel was already hurt by going back to all dual-branded PPV's.

The WWE is at the very worst it has been in the 15 years since I've been watching regularly (Began late 2003) and in honesty I'm watching more now out of my love for it and how much I've enjoyed it in the past in the hope it returns to its best, much in the way that I carried on with The Wlaking Dead despite how woeful S7 and 8 were. That worked out well as S9 was really good again. I have much less faith though that the WWE will get good again any time soon.

Frankly if I listed every facet of what is wrong and why with the WWE right now, I'd be in danger of posting the longest post this forum has ever seen.
    Last edited by sebsy; 06-14-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

At this point it is just signalling the brand split is over so they should just say that rather than try and hide it with the Wildcard rule.

From a TV network perspective why would USA and Fox be happy with just having half of the top stars on their show. They would want both.

Just a matter of time before the rule gets forgotten and everyone goes everywhere and titles may start getting unified and the cycle shall begin again in my opinion.

It is stupid though as it means the same stars Vince likes get all the air time and they all get overexposed. The amount of talent being wasted is criminal and unless it changes there's only going to be one place that benefits... AEW.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Status

Its like almost everything else in the E - a fine idea that's all fucked up in execution.

It has a massively gimmicky feel to it because its so random and the rules are so fluid. Set a baseline and stick to it. That would help. Instead, they are using it like Vince Russo used stipulation matches - randomly, without purpose, and pretty much without real meaning or impact.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

It sucks. Not only are a few working double time (like Alexa who has had head problems all year) but then you’re taking time away from guys who don’t usually get it to give it to people who we see every week anyway. It’s completely stupid and has killed both shows effectively.

Relentless Admin

Status

Member when kairi Sane was called up before wrestlers from raw took her air time. It stinks.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Remember when the War Raiders were called up and had two name changes and then disappeared so that we can see Roman Kofi and Shane twice a week

Status

Man are y’all telling me you’re not entertained by Shane McMahon 70% of the week? It’s good shit.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

“It worked with me and Stone Cold In 98, they’ll love it”

Status

Remember when Vince made us the authority and said things would be better

fucking yikes

Relentless Admin

Status

I remember when they blamed everything on heel authority baron Corbin, fired him, and then push him every week

Status

Baron Corbin makes me twitch. Wish he’d fuck off.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
    Baron Corbin makes me twitch. Wish he’d fuck off.
    tenor.jpg

I love him hes one of my favs in WWE RN. The guy is a perfect heel.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Corbin in small doses is fine he’s a legit old school heel. He doesn’t get cheers for being cool or a badass like Joe and he doesn’t get silence like Lashley. Should he be champ or in the main event every week? No but he’s fine and far from the problem. Shane getting almost an hour of air time between two shows a week and winning a feud with the Miz or beating Roman Reigns...that’s for sure a problem.

Status

The Wild Card Rule is pretty stupid if they are that desperate to save their shows from the freefalling ratings.

Both RAW and SmackDown has been horrible to watch, really difficult to watch it through without bad storylines and seeing Shane calling himself "The Best In The World," from time-to-time.

I'm starting to believe that the rise of AEW is really putting Vince and WWE on note, because AEW has been making lots of noise, which Vince sees as a threat. So far, Vince hasn't done anything productive to impress anyone as he continues to produce a shitty show on a daily basis. The old Vince would take risks like he did when he created The Attitude Era in the late 90s, and gave wrestling high quality entertainment.

The Wild Card Rule bullshit isn't doing the E any good.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I don't want to say that I completely gave up on it because of the wild card gimmick but after the first week, I didn't watch again so something went wrong.

It over exposes people like Roman and Shane McMahon of all people. Takes the younger, lower card talent's spots and air time on TV. Makes the brand split completely pointless. Makes it hard to follow week to week. And it doesn't even help the ratings which is why they did it in the first place.

It's a disaster.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I hate it, honestly. I see zero positives.

In fact, it's only showcasing people that I don't really want to see on both shows taking up so much time like Shane McMahon & Elias.

Also, it's the same people over and over again mostly.

Also, what happened to the last hour of Raw being edgy? What happened to no more rematches and we were the authority and things were going to change?

WWE sucks right now and NXT is the only positive.

"LET ME IN.."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information